Chapter 10- Work

Superiority Complex

 

The sunset was marvelous to watch and she wanted to paint it feeling it could be the last sunset she could see. It was peaceful and the sound of the waves crashing unto the shore calmed her. The seagulls were flying and flocking waiting for a catch. All she did was close her eyes and feel the breeze as it touched her face. It was awe inspiring. If she could stay like that and feel like that every single day she'd love to.

--------------

Amber woke up with a dream she can't remember she last had. It was a frequent one before she started working at KJMTO enterprises and stopped when she started to work at the said place. She can't figure why the dream visited her again after some time. 

It was a Monday morning. Amber was able to sleep peacefully at the sofa in Key's room that Sunday night. Yesterday's events happened much better than she expected. She was able to talk in front of the guests and nobody seemed to suspect that she and Key are far from a couple in reality. The two of them left the party even though it wasn't finish. They just spent the afternoon at the mall where Key had his coffee while Amber went to shop for some more art supplies. 

Key's mother left early that morning not wanting to face Key and Amber at the dining table for breakfast. Even the previous night, she opted to eat with her friends at some restaurant. Her plan of humiliating Amber at the lunch party wasn't successful. Thus feeling a little ashamed, she didn't talk to neither Key nor Amber the rest of the evening.

-----------------

"This is new.. You woke up earlier than I did.." Amber teased.

"I need to go to the office early today.. It's the monthly meeting." Key said while he was chewing his bread.

Amber took her seat. It's been only a few days but she's gotten used to eat with Key. Though they still rarely talk about personal matters, the tense air seemed to have subsided which Amber thought is a good thing.

"I'll be going to work today, okay? I can't keep staying at the house doing nothing."

"Suit yourself. Just don't yap to anyone about any of this or else I'll have to fire them.."

"That's mean! Why fire them immediately?"

"What do you think will happen to me and the company's reputation if they found out, hmm?"

"Well.."

"I'll be going. You can take the bus like you always do..Oh, the Korean tutor would be arriving earlier than 4pm so be here by then."

Amber meronged the lad as he headed upstairs. The maids were already placing her clothes back to her assigned room. She felt it was a relief that finally she doesn't have to sleep in one room with Key. They weren't sharing a bed or anything but she also wanted her privacy. She also feels at ease when not using Key's bathroom. It feels invasive.

-------------------

Key went on ahead to the company in his car. It was their monthly meeting so it's expected they'll be having a meeting that'll take hours. As usual, the female employees were crowding the entrance as the board members went in. Taemin was the first one to enter, followed by Jonghyun then Onew. Minho is already in the building so he could've proceeded to the meeting room. 

"This is new.. You're never late Kibum-ah." Jonghyun remarked.

"Sorry.. Traffic jammed the streets on my way here." Key replied while he was placing his things on the table.

Everyone has taken their seat and Taemin has started discussing the possible options they'll be making about the issue on the raise of the employees' salary. It was based on the proposals he has presented that was edited by Key. The other four were having a debate on whether they should pursue with the plan.

"Wouldn't they complain if we decrease their compensation for medical expenses?" Jonghyun questioned.

"Well, it would be quite a loss on our part if we don't. We'll still be adding a larger amount to their monthly salary rather than the loss to the medical compensation.." Onew replied.

"But hyung, you have to foresee that this could lead to a strike if ever they notice it.." Minho added.

Key intervened. "We won't cut on their medical compensation. It's still our responsibilty as their employer to provide this. I think the best option we have is to retain the compensation but the addition to the salary would be a little less than what they demanded. We can explain it to them."

Taemin was still on the fence. Onew and Minho seemed to have agreed while Jonghyun is still a little doubtful of that option.

They decided to take a break. Onew and Minho went out to get their lunch while Jonghyun and Taemin remained inside the meeting room with Key. Taemin was already preparing his tea while Jonghyun was playing with his chair.

"Kibum-ah.."

"Hmm?"

"I heard from Hyo-noona. You're married?"

Taemin spat the tea that was making mis way to his throat. He coughed.. "Mwo?!  Key hyung, you're married???"

Key was already cornered by these two and he had no means to escape, nor an excuse he can come up with.. He just nodded.

"Omo!!" Taemin was like a little boy feeling excited. "Who is the noona? Can't call her lucky though.."

"Shut up Taemin!"

"No, seriously Key, do we know her?"

Key shook his head. "No.. You don't. It's a.. A quick romance thing."

"What do you mean quick romance thing hyung?"

"We've only known each other for a few weeks when we decided to get married.."

"Talk about daring..Does Aunt Chunyi know?" Jonghyun asked.

"Yeah.. She's already met my wife."

"Oohh. How was it?"

"Rather not talk about that.."

Their conversation was cut short when Minho and Onew arrived. The three tried to look mum to avoid any questions from the two..

----------------------

Amber did take the bus when she went to work that day. She'll be expecting a busy day. Not only because of the mural that has went behind schedule but because of all the possible questions Woori, Jia, Hyorin and Sulli that will bombard her. She laughed it off thinking she does owe them an explanation where she has been the past days.

"Eonni!!!"

The moment Amber entered Sulli shouted at her, which was not surprising..

"Hey Ssul.." Sulli hugged her and pouted. "Where have you been?"

"I ughh.. I was sick these past few days..Why?"

"It's been lonely around here.. Hyorin eonni got married over the weekend. Woori and Jia eonni are on a vacation somewhere and here I am all alone.."

"Hyorin got married?" Sulli nodded in response.

Sulli let go and went back to work. Amber smiled.. "Are they all going to get married after I did?" She laughed and scoffed it off. She went to her favorite place, the scaffolding and started to work on the mural she left stagnant for the past days. It was starting to look a lot like something she'd like to see but a lot of work still needs to be accomplished.

--------------

As promised, she was able to finish a cetain portion and headed straight home without saying goodbye to Sulli. She was running a little late since it was almost 4:00pm and the tutor could be at Key's house any minute by then. She rushed in taking a cab. When she arrived, she was lucky that the tutor wasn't there yet so she had the time to change her clothes. 

"Is Ms. Amber around already?" the tutor asked.

"Yeah.. I'll just call on her."

"Mistress?" The maid called on Amber in her room.

"Mistress? Didn't I tell you to just call me Amber?"

"But.."

"No buts! Amber.. Just Amber, okay?"

"Okay.." the maid responed with a smile.

The girl headed downstairs and proceeded to the library where the tutor was. She was surprised to find a young woman was going to tutor her.

"Hello..I'm Amber. Nice to meet you." 

The girl looked a little surprised perhaps wasn't expecting that Amber could speak Korean very well. "Hello.I'm Min.. You're Korean sounds better than I expected."

Amber took her seat and they started their session. Min asked Amber to write down the Korean alphabet, after which she asked Amber to answer an answer sheet of Hangul and romanize the syllables. It was a piece of cake for Amber and they managed to finish in an hour.

"That was quick.. You sure you need a tutor?"

"Hey.. I'm still a foreigner, so might as well right?"

"Okay..I'll be back tomorrow, same time.. See you, Amber!"

And Min bid farewell. Amber walked her to the door and noticed that Key's car was already parked near the garage. She went to check his room and found him already asleep. Dinner time arrived and Amber was about to call on Key when Suho stopped her.

"He doesn't like being woken up.."

"But, it's dinner time?"

"He'll eat when he gets hungry. I'll just save some food for him."

Amber pouted and went on to eat. It was kind of "lonely" without Key at the dining area. If not her, he's the one that would usually start the bickering and one of them would end up finish eating first and leaving the dining table. She's gotten used to the teasing and rarely does it affect her now but eating alone is no fun either. 

-------------------

Late evening came and Amber was in Key's room he was still sleeping soundly. Amber sat on the floor near his bed and looked at Key..

"You look like a gentleman when you're asleep.. Completely different when you're such a devil in reality.." (merong) and Amber left.

It was 11:30pm and Key woke up. It's been a routine for him when he'd go home from work and sleep. He'll wake up middle of the night, get something to eat, read some documents and go back to sleep. The meeting earlier that day drained him. They had to argue on one issue for almost four hours and weren't able to tackle everything. They'll have to postpone another board meeting next week since Key will be meeting a client tomorrow. He was about to go downstairs when he noticed there was food on his side table.

"You should stop this habit. Eating is fun and don't skip meals!"

Again, it was anonymous. He didn't care so he just digged in and slept once he finished the documents.

------------------

Amber was hoping that the three girls still weren't around. Sulli is easier to deal with since the girl doesn't have a lot of questions unlike Hyorin and the others. She feels a lot more at ease since questions aren't bugging her, YET. 
Amber took a bath early that morning, opting to eat early and leave early so she can go home earlier. She wanted to work on the painting she wasn't able to finish the other day since Key's mother arrived.

She was at the dining table eating when Key came out of his room, crept to her back, leaned towards the table and whispered something into Amber's ear.

"You just love saving food for me, don't you?"

Amber's eyes widened. She turned around and pushed Key away..

"That wasn't me! Why in the world would I save food for you?!"

"I don't know.. Worried perhaps?"

"Oh, you assume too much! ARGH!" And Amber left without finishing her food. Key laughed and sat down..

"You know, this place became a lot more colorful since you brought Amber in.. You look a lot less stressed Key."

"Not really hyung.. I don't think colorful is the term. Noisy perhaps.."

Key filled himself with the food while Amber was making her way to the door to leave for work. It was still early but Key got on her nerves..

"I'm going.."

"Yeobo! Be careful or else I'll die without you.." Key teased.

"Oh shut up!"

--------------------

Amber was flushing red on her entire trip to work. Key would always catch her off guard randomly which she hated. She hated that he gets her all the time and never fails to tease the crap out of her. The dreaded day came for her when she found out that Woori and Jia were back. Hyorin is still missing but the questions would definitely be flooding in.

"Amber?! Where have you been?"
"I heard you were sick. Were you sick?"
"Why didn't you call us? We were worried you know.."
"You look different? Did you do something to your hair?"

Jia and Woori asked simultaneously. It was expected..

"Okay, I was sick. I wasn't able to call because I can barely speak because of the cough I had. I was stuck at home and I'm sorry for not calling.. And no, I didn't do anything to my hair.."

The girls just hugged her and said they were happy that she felt better. Amber was thankful that at least there were people that actually cared for her. She was at the scaffolding near noon not wanting to eat with the girls or else it'll be another round of question and answer. However, she felt a little stuck. She can't paint anything which kind of frustrated her. Added to the fact that Key might've noticed. She lied and he's right. She is the one that always saves the food for Key. She doesn't know why but she feels it's the right thing to do.

-----------------

Amber left the same time as she did yesterday and met up with Min for the tutorial. They tackled idioms that day which was harder so they finished later than they did yesterday. Amber wanted to sleep but dinner came earlier so she might as well eat before heading back to bed.

Key wasn't there with her again. He was at his room asleep yet again..Amber barely ate and visited Key in his room. She felt a little pity though. She felt that as if Key's life was such a routine and all he did was work. It was as if he never had fun. She rarely see Key smile or laugh and that only happens when she gets pissed off. 

She headed downstairs, went out the door and asked one of the cars to go with her. The people were wondering where she was off to in a hurry. Half an hour passed and Amber came back with buckets of paint, a big cloth, balloons and newspaper. That boggled the helpers even more. She soon headed to the garage and random noises were heard. Amber locked the door to the garage so no one knew what was going on. Not until an hour passed and she headed upstairs to Key's room. She was already in her work clothes.

Key was still very much asleep when Amber poked him.

"Hey, wake up!" Key groaned and refuse to wake up. Amber got an ice cube and placed it in Key's back. The boy sprang up.

"What the hell?! What the.."

Amber was handing him some of her work clothes. "Change into these.."

"What? Why should I?"

"Stop being stubborn.. Just change into these. I'll be waiting right here."

Key then grabbed the work clothes off of Amber's hands and changed. It felt weird that her clothes fit him just fine.

Amber then gripped his arm, headed downstairs and into the garage. It was dark and Key couldn't see anything..

"Wait here.." Amber ran to turn on the lights. The garage has been transformed into some sort of studio. Newspaper were scattered to cover the floor, a big canvas cloth was held by the wall and balloons were filled with paint. The cars have already been driven outside so no risk of damaging the paint job.

"What is all this?" Key asked.

"Well, we're going to paint.."

"Paint? Does it look like I like to waste my time painting? And where are the brushes?" Amber then took a balloon..

"Brushes aren't the only things that you can use to spread out paint, you know?" And Amber threw the balloon to the canvas, popping it and leaving paint on the cloth. Key shouted in surpise like a girl which kind of made Amber laugh.

"Oh my gosh, you scream like a girl!" She teased.

"Why you?!" The lad then took a balloon and threw it at the canvas as well right after pretending he'll throw it to Amber. The two of them soon started laughing until there were just a few balloons left.

"Why did you do this?" Key asked.

"You looked bored. I just felt that work is the only thing you have in life, well which is tiring. I thought that a little fun with paint won't do any harm.." Amber smiled. Key just stared at her. It still gave Amber the chills but in a lot different way this time around. He then stood up and approached Amber. 

"I'll only say this once.Thanks.."

Amber smiled. He actually thanked her which she felt was kind of a big deal. "What did you say? Sorry, I wasn't able to hear it clearly?"

Key looked pissed off. He took some wet paint and dotted it on Amber's face.. "Oh no you didn't?!" The two of them started chasing each other around. It was already late but Amber's phone ringed. She stopped to check who it was.

 

 

It was Jackie.

-------------------------------------------------------

A little fun from these two ^^ Can't believe I've been updating non-stop and feeling a little happy since Writer's block hasn't dawned on me just yet in writing a chapter.. I just want to thank everyone. Can't believe I have 30 subscribers even though it's just the first few chapters.. I'm not even halfway. >_< Thanks guys! I'll be busy the following days so maybe I won't be able to update immediately so please be patient with me. <3<3~