Chapter 22- Questions, Answers and Losses

Superiority Complex

 

It only struck them after waking up the following morning and when they timed in late for their work. Unconsciously they arrived at the same time at around noon. For some weird reason, Key looked stoned while Amber looked as if she hadn't slept in days. It wasn't really because of what they "did" the previous night but they were really tired. Or maybe it was the wine? They shared a bottle of wine after the deed. Perhaps it is what caused their endeavor that morning. Key went straight to his office while Amber went to the cafeteria hoping no one from her friends saw on who she came in with today.

"Amber?"

Much to her horror. Everyone was there. Sulli and Woori looked at her with such worried eyes while the rest looked plain and downright confused. She doesn't want to answer any questions but that seemed inevitable when the girls surrounded her as if she did something wrong or as if she was on trial.

"Girls, I'm sorry. I don't really feel.."

"You're hiding something from us.. You're not telling us something Amber.." Jia opened up.

"Huh?" 

"Don't think we didn't see what just happened there.." Hyorin added. "You went out the car where boss Key also went out. Let alone, it looked like his private car. What's up with that? You have a relationship with him or something?" 

"What? Well.."

"You guys having an affair or something???" Sulli inquired.

"Affair??? What? Hell no.."

"Then what?" Bora added.

Amber looked at them with such hesitating eyes. She wanted to tell her story. She wanted to finally share her happiness to her closest friends. But something was stopping her from doing so. "I'm sorry.. I can't say anything."

"What?" Hyorin shrieked. "What do you mean you can't say anything?" Amber shook her head in response. Jia somewhat sighed annoyance. "I don't believe this.. You don't trust us?" she asked. "It's not that Jia.."

"Then what? Seriously Amber? I thought we were friends..Or maybe we aren't qualified to be your friends after all." Jia walked away. Hyorin followed then Bora. Sulli tagged a little later while Woori remained by Amber. Amber wanted to cry so bad. It was never her intention to "insult" her friends like that. She wants to tell them, so bad. But a lot is at stake if she does tell them. Hell, they might get involved with the whole mess that they might turn out as targets as well under Key's mother's radar. Woori just tapped Amber's back, somehow assuring her she's there to stay. She left a few minutes later while Amber remained in the cafetaria to calm herself down.

It was hard to get her mind out of what just happened a few hours ago. Amber made no progress on the mural. She was hoping it could divert her thoughts but to no avail. She wants to tell them so bad but she's scared that they might see her differently. That she's just some gold digger feeding off of Key's wealth. That was initially the case but it was never her intention to hurt Key. Falling in love with him was a totally different story. 

The entireity of the day was spent sighing and going to and fro the comfort room. Amber can't count how many times she splashed water on her face that day. It was her only escape. She was left with no one in the office. Jia and Hyorin would avoid her. Sulli would look at her with guilt but still won't talk to her. Woori would occassionally wave hellos but that was it. Bora was just the same as her cousin. 

It was painful. The same scenario lasted for three weeks. It was saddening. One week more and the mural would be finish. Amber doesn't know if she still has an excuse to go to the office if ever she finishes it. Can she still stay in Key's place? It was all adding up and it tore her up.

----------------------

Key seems to have it differently. It wasn't the silent treatment but his cousins would only have short conversations with him. If it wasn't about work, it would be minor how are you's but other than that. It felt awkward. Minho and Jonghyun seems to have amended their ways but there was still a tense air surrounding them whenever they'd meet. Key didn't mind the silent treatment. He got used to of not talking to someone when he struggled with himself several years ago. 

"Hyung.." It was Taemin. They had no meeting for that day and Key was quite wondering why Taemin was there.

"Hmm?"

"Can I join you for lunch?"

"Sure.. I mean, I don't have anything else to do.."

Taemin smiled happily as he entered Key's office. "How's Suho hyung?"

"He's been okay.. He's busy managing the house and all. I don't know how I'll manage all these years if he wasn't with me.."

"How's Amber noona?"

"She's.. She's okay.."

"Three weeks ago, she barged in the room and we were really surprised.. But I didn't expect Minho hyung's reaction.."

"What do you mean?" 

"He looked,.. Surprised? As if Amber noona was some ghost? I don't get it actually.. As if he hasn't met Amber noona."

"Well, actually.."

Their brief conversation was cut short when Key's secretary walked in, saying that a client walked in and asked if they could set  a sudden appointment.. Taemin didn't mind. He went off to head back to his own room while Key left to meet the client.

----------------------

It felt unfair to her. She has to deal with the struggle of not being able to talk to her friends while she felt Key was okay. Whenever they would eat dinner, he looked just fine. He'll smile. She'll smile a faint smile back. She was bothered by her ordeal while he seemed like everything was a breeze. On the other hand, she also can't tell Key that her friends got mad at her. She can't risk having them get fired or what. The time came however that Amber just wanted to tell Key that no matter, she'll be telling Woori and the others.. The same day Key had a meeting, Amber went up to his office to confront him. She stomped her way to the office.

"Kibum?! We need to talk?!" She barged right into the door. Much to her horror, Key wasn't there. Someone else welcomed. "Mi...minho?"

"Well, who do we have here??" He sounded rather arrogant.

"I need to talk to Key.."

"You address him so casually.. Aren't you just someone who paints downstairs and all?" He said as he stood up and started walking towards Amber.

"Is it so wrong to be familiar to my boss?"

"Stop this act will you?! You seriously think you can make a fool out of me? I'm not VP for nothing.. What the hell is going on with you and Key? An act? Or are you stealing from his bank account or something? I saw the way he looked at you when he walked out with you out of the meeting room three weeks ago.. He hasn't looked at anyone like that before besides Gayoon. Seriously, what is your connection to Key? Who are you Amber?  Or should I even call you that?!"

Amber was on the verge of tears. She was genuinely scared of Minho at that moment. He looked angry, even furious. She doesn't know why but he looks that way. She fell speechless. 

"She doesn't have to answer to you.." It was Key.

"What the hell? Are you seriously defending her? She's a fraud!"

"Get out Minho.. Please!"

"Pssh.. I don't know what's going on but I will find out whatever it takes.. Hell, I trusted the both of you! I'm out of here.."

Minho walked out of the office while Amber fell on her knees, half crying. She was scared for her dear life. Let alone, Jackie's. Minho looked serious and whatever he might find out, things may turn our bitterly for them. Speaking of Jackie, Amber hasn't heard from her ever since she went out with Key three weeks ago. Amber would call but Jackie doesn't answer. She sent an email about a week before but after that, no more. It irked Amber but she trusted that her sister is doing just fine.

Amber went back downstairs. Woori was waiting for her on the scaffolding. "Hey Amber.."

"Hey Woori.. I don't want to sound mean, but I'm not expecting you'll be talking to me after three weeks."

"I'm really sorry Amber. I wanted to talk to you but Jia would nag me everyday of not talking to you. I'll admit I'd get swayed at times but please believe me. I want to help at least. Jia and Hyorin can be tough but maybe they just felt disappointed. Sulli keeps on saying she misses eating with you.."

"Woori, please understand that I have my reasons for not telling and it's for the interest of everybody. I want to tell all of you so bad but certain circumstances is preventing me from doing so."

"I understand that Amber.. But please, consider that we might be more than willing to accept that risk. We're friends right? Jia and the other don't hate you. I can attest to that.. They just felt a little betrayed because they felt that you don't trust them enough.."

"I know.. I kind of figured it out.. Hey, Woori. Promise me you wouldn't scream at me okay? Or at least let me finish what I have to say.. I'll understand if you'll start looking at me differently. But please, just hear me out.."

"Shoot away.."

Amber heaved in a deep breath. "You're wondering why I arrived with Key right?" Amber asked. Woori nodded. "Well, you see. It's because we're like in a contractual relationship.."

"Ohh my gosh, he's paying you? And you're..."

"No!! Not like that.. Remember when my father died? Times got tough and I didn't have money to pay for medical bills, he offered me the deal and in exchange I'll pretend to be his wife so that his mother will stop setting him up with random girls.."

Woori didn't respond. It scared Amber.. "Well?"

Woori leaped for a hug. "Are you kidding? Why would I ever look at you differently.. It was a matter of circumstance. Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"Well, you know.. Key, he's a little image conscious.."

"Oh. Right.. But how about now? How are you two doing? Is he being nice to you??"

"Well.." Amber paused and started blushing. It was more than enough for Woori to understand what it was. "Ohh my gosh!! Oh my gosh!!"

"Shhuusshh! aha. Please.." Amber pleaded. Woori nodded while was covered by Amber's hand. "Damn, I have to get back to work Amber.. But I promise, tell that to Jia and the others they'll understand too, okay? I've got to go.. Later Mrs. Key!"

"Shut up!"

-----------------------------------

It felt like a weight has been lifted off of her shoulder. She no longer cares if Key disapproves of her telling on Woori. She was a trusted friend and nothing could break that. Later that afternoon, Amber carefully went back to Key's office checking whether or not Minho was nearby. She entered the office.

"It's still early.. What brings you here?"

"I've got to confess something to you.."

"What?!"

"I told an employee of our relationship.."

"What??!"

"Please.. Don't fire her or anything. She's not the type that'll tattletale and I'll account for her.. Please. I just wanted to share my happiness to someone besides Jackie. It's hard to contain to all of these emotions by myself you know.."

"Well, what can I do? You've already told her right?" Key asked. Amber nodded back.

" Speaking of Jackie..Key, can I just.. Can I go home to Jackie tonight? I miss her badly.. Please?"

"Okay.. But at least let me bring you over there, okay? Compensation for you telling on someone?! Are we clear??"

Amber smiled and nodded. She walked towards Key and gave the lad a hug. "Thank you."

--------------------------------

6:00pm came. It was quite late but Amber stayed at Key's office practically annoying the hell out of him while he did his work. It wasn't like Key hated it. He loved it. He loved the fact that Amber was there to keep him awake and smiling. Work didn't feel much like work at all.

"Hurry up. Let's go. I've still got to drop you off and traffic is killer.."

It took them almost an hour to arrive at Amber's place. Traffic was madness on their way there. A car and a motorcyle also encountered an accident which didn't do any help to the motorists.

"Thanks for dropping me off."

"Can you at least invite me inside? I'd like to say my greetings to Jackie. After all, she is my noona.." Key smiled. Amber smiled back. "Fine.."

Amber opened the door. It was rather dark, even too dark for Jackie's taste. They the lights and headed to the living room..

"..........."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Double update! ^^ Was actually able to finish everything in a day. Hoho.. First of all, again I'd like to apologize since I took forever to post a new chapter.. AFF was a bummer for not returning my chapters.. So, yeah.. It . But then again, might as well do something.. Tadaa! 22nd chapter. Teehee.. A little cliffhanger just so I could leave a little curiosity on what it is.. I mean, yeah. So Amber told Woori and,, Eomona, they "did it" Teehee.. Hope you liked the double update! Thank you so much for staying in tune. To my readers and subbies, thank you thank you thank you~~!!!!! <3<3 Please look forward to the next   one.