Chapter 3-It's On

Superiority Complex

 

Cold sweat ran down through her spine. She had no energy to stand at all. Consider the fact the world could be over for her. She blew it. She soiled it. The one opportunity she has left to finally catch a break in her work seems over. Not after what she just did. Not after what she said and the attempts she made to try and cover up her stupidity. If she could slap herself in the face she would've done it moments ago. Her one chance to finally help her sister and father was over.

She still had her back on the counter and pretty much comfortably sitting on the carpet of the office. The weight on her shoulder just grew heavier. The person who'll be providing her pay is the person she humiliated in front of his own employees. Now that she thinks about it, no wonder everyone at the lobby stared at her like death was coming. They stared and gasped at the entire incident.  She just wanted to facepalm herself right then and there but she can't. Someone was staring at her. It was such an icy stare that though she's not looking him straight in the eye she could feel herself stiffening up on how intense it was.

"I presume you don't intend to remain seated at the floor all day, don't we miss?"

Amber can't reply. He has such a cold voice her body can't seem to react on the mere fact she's scared for her life. She felt herself on the verge of tears. She knows it was such a stupid act but it seemed to her as if the man was actually taking pleasure in seeing her like that; humiliated and helpless under the situation.
Soon after, she stood up slowly and carefully tried to wipe the tears that were dwelling in her eyes. She didn't want to show it to the man. Her pride can't let her, he has degraded her too much. She wiped her pants and shirt and bowed, gesturing she was to leave and get back to work. She then made her way to the door but before she could even turn the knob..

"Excuse me, but have I dismissed you?"

Amber sighed. He may be the boss but the man is starting to get on her nerves. She shook it off and replied "No."

"Well then, why are you opening the door? Please. Sit down.."

The man pointed at the sofa that was across his table. He had this smirk on his face which killed the hell out of Amber. She didn't like this man; not one single bit. He's been the worse person she's met in her life. Even worse than those who have rejected her work in the past.

She complied and sat down at the sofa the man was pointing to. 

Silence took over the room. She was seated properly and awaited the man's decision on what's going to happen to her. After all her fate still rests on his hands.

"You look different from what I expected.."

Amber got a little lost with what he said. "Excuse me?"

"I expected you'd look different. Your body of work doesn't reflect your appearance.."

"What do you mean?"

"I expected you to look more of a woman. Not like this.."

Amber was taken aback. She may not look feminine but the way he says is is just downright insulting.

"I beg your pardon?!"

The man stared at her and she scurried to make herself lean more into the sofa. His stare is just annoying and scary.

"You've got a lot of nerve, you know that? Never, and I mean NEVER have I ever been humiliated like what happened this morning in the lobby.. Like what you did there did this morning! I'm a respected figure in this company. You're definitely a newbie. Just by the looks of you, you look.."

After finishing his statement, he stared at her from head to toe. Amber didn't like what he did one bit. She can tolerate the words. She can handle the smirks but she can never tolerate the stares. She felt violated not necessarily ually but she felt violated. She stood up from where she was standing and walked three big steps to the table.

She banged the table and leaned towards the man. "You mister, got a lot of air! Yes, you may be the boss but I don't think that gives you the right to humiliate me purposedly. What happened down there was an accident! I didn't intend to pour the water on you, okay?! Also, who gave you the right to look at me like that? I thought you were better. Turns out I'm wrong.." 

Amber made it clear to make her point be heard. She stood up and made her way to the door. But right before she left she said "I suggest you look at yourself and think if you're really respected. Respect and fear are two complete different things.."

The chairman was left dumbfounded on his chair. No one has ever confronted him like that before. He doesn't understand why but he likes the feeling. For once, he felt he can compete someone as tough as he is.

--------------

Amber stomped her way back to the scaffolding soon as she left the elevator. Woori was about to ask what happened but Amber didn't pay attention and just walked past her. She climbed herself back up to scaffolding and picked up her brush and paint. The man just ticks her nerves. The mere fact of imagining his face pissed her off. 

"Arrrggghhh!!!" She shouted so loud trying to release her frustration. She didn't care that the people at the lobby will start looking at her. She noticed that some employees started mumbling while looking at her. "What?!" she shouted at them to have them stop.

-------------

Frustration is her biggest enemy. It's been almost two hours and she hasn't made progress with the painting where she left off. She works best when she's calm and composed not when she's angry and pissed off. Woori then approached the scaffolding and shouted at her.

"Hey Amber! Why don't you take a break? Come on. Let's go the cafeteria and eat.."

Amber liked the idea and went with Woori to the cafeteria. Thinking about it, indeed she hasn't eaten for almost the entireity of the morning. The cafeteria is as fittingly spectacular as the building. It was as if she would be eating at a 5-star restaurant in a hotel. Similar to how she saw the building the first time, Amber's mouth was gaping open. The food overwhelmed her.

"Aren't these expensive?" Amber asked as they were heading towards the end of the line.

"We don't really pay for them literally. The meals we eat already have a fixed amount so it's just reduced to out monthly salary. "

"Really? That's convenient.. But what about me? I'm not a regular here.."

"It's okay. You'll be in the system for the meantime so I bet they have a record of you already. Just take what you want.."

----------

The food was mouthwatering. Taking it as a chance to enjoy the scrumptuous food she grabbed one bit of everything to savor the food. In total, she got two plates which surprised Woori and their companions..

"You've got some appetite whipped up don't you?"

"I haven't eaten breakfast to be honest.."

The three other ladies just laughed. Amber blushed because of embarassment.

"Oh, Amber.. I'd like you to meet some of my friends. This is Jia.." Woori pointed to the woman beside her. She had sharp eyes and thin physique. 
"The one beside her is Hyorin and that cute girl over there is Sulli." 

Amber waved at them and bowed.

"So, should I call you eonni?" Sulli asked. Amber pointed at herself and Sulli nodded.

"Sure.. Call me whatever you want.."

The four them started to talk about various things during their break. Most of the questions were addressed to Amber. They asked how did she become a painter. Was it something she really enjoys? Was it something the people around her supported? She found it amusing to have "corporate" office girls ask her what her art-filled life is like. Their worlds are so much in contrast she found it amazing to see that she's getting a taste of both worlds.

They were done and were on their way to return their plates when Amber suddenly tripped. Her companions were surprised with what happened and they helped her to get up. Amber just nodded and tried to look behind her who made her trip. Who she saw made her blood boil, it was him; the owner of the company.

"I'm okay.." She said as she stood up. She wiped her hands and picked up the trash she made on the floor when she dropped her tray. It was a good thing their plates weren't fragile or else she was sure they'll be in pieces if ever they were.

--------------

Their "subtle" non-verbal arguments continued for the next three days. Amber was not the type that would just give up so after the incident at the cafeteria, she dropped a peel of banana on the floor right before the boss passed by to make him slip. He didn't fall on his bottom, which Amber planned, but seeing him look pissed off made her day. Key in turn would pull off pranks of his own. A good example is he'll "accidentally" step on Amber's paint that were left on the floor to have the leftover but still useable paint go to waste. Amber didn't like it one bit since her paint was expensive. She was lucky enough that the she gets to talk to the design team in charge of the renovation to have them replace the paint. She'll reason out that the paint magically "disappeared."

--------------

It was her 7th day in work and Amber was on the floor still wiping off the stain the paint made when the boss squeezed the tube out a few days back. Woori was helping.

Woori was staring at Amber while the girl pulled out intense effort to try and remove the stain. She let out a giggle.

"Why? What's wrong?" Amber asked.

"Nothing..It's nothing."

"No. Really.. Come on.. What is it?"

"It's just the whole fight between you and Boss Key is kind of childish.."

"Key?"

"Ohh, yeah.. I haven't told you yet. Key, that's the name our boss uses."

"What do you mean he uses?"

"It's like his screen name? To be honest I don't know his real name. I entered the company knowing his name is Key.."

"I see. So, what's funny?"

"Well, for the past three  years I've been here.. I haven't seen him make fun anyone to the extent he has made fun of you.."

"Ugh.. I highly doubt that. He's got this attitude that I don't like. I dislike him. A LOT."

"That doesn't seem to be the case to me.."

"Ohh come on Woori.. Cut it out."

----------------

Key was at his office while the vice chairman was talking about the latest investments their company was going to make. Key was playfully clicking his ballpen which kind of annoyed his Vice.

"Key, could you cut that out?"

Key still wasn't paying attention and even had a playful smirk on his. He only snapped out of when Minho grabbed the ballpen off of his hand..

"Sorry. You were saying?"

"Ugh. You weren't paying attention? Let's just talk about it tomorrow. I suggest you straighten up. You haven't been yourself lately. You look.."

"What?"

"Distracted.. It's as if something has averted your attention from work. I should go.. Think about what I said, okay?"

Minho left Key's office only to leave the boy wondering what does he mean by "distracted". He doesn't feel distracted or anything but he feels a lot less stressed than he used to.

-------------

It was past 6:00pm when Key left the office. It was kind of dark and nobody was left seen on the streets since most have left by either 4 or 5pm. Being born in a life of luxury. He was given the privilege of having a fancy car and chauffier drive for him to and fro  the office. It was a mini-limousine if you're going to put it in layman's terms. He was fixing his things when he noticed someone was walking at the sidewalk with such a huge backpack. He leaned in closer by the window to grasp who it was only to find out it was Amber. He made the driver stop over and after which he rolled the window of the car down to tease Amber once again.

"You've sure got an ugly bag.."

Amber turned around. But instead of retorting back at Key.. She ignored his pun and walked on. Key felt embarassed that Amber didn't react at all so he went out of the car and ordered Amber to stop.

"Miss! I demand you to stop right now.."

Amber wasn't in the mood to "play" with Key. "Look, I have a name okay? It's Amber. Stop calling me miss. It irks me." She then continued to walk off.

Key never liked losing. "You do get that I don't like you!" He shouted.

"Don't worry..I don't like you too!" She waved. Key no longer answered and went back in the car to head home.

-------------

Key was living on his own in a small mansion. It was something he asked from his parents when he was in college to try and prove that he could live independently. His parents didn't oppose the idea but he failed greatly on the aspect of cooking. He didn't know how to cook so his parents had to send over a personal cook for him. He's been living in his home for the  past six years with the chef. He enjoyed the chef's company actually. He wasn't much older than him so he treated the chef like his own hyung. 

"Hey Key, how was your day?"

"It's been okay, Suho-hyung. A little tiring but everything seems fine. I'll be off to bed."

-------------

Key fixed himself and took a bath. He's been used to living alone. All his life he's always been like that actually. His parents were always busy with work and since he's an only child he had no one to play with when he was young except with his cousins. He laid down in bed and soon as he was about to fall asleep his cellphone ringed.

"Eomma? I'm okay.. On saturday? Do I have to? I won't go eomma.. No. We've talked about this before haven't we? What?! That wasn't what we agreed on before..I ugh.. There's already someone. Yes! I'll prove it to you."

Key put the phone down as he bit his thumb. He needed to come up with a plan. He thought hard and found one solution. Just one..

------------------------------------------------

A third long chapter.. I got carried away writing so it turned a bit lengthy. Sorry about that. Yey! Yet another update.. I've been in the mood and since school isn't for another two weeks I'm trying to update as much as I can before I start going back to updating weekly. Enjoy!
Oh and thank you to all my subscribers! :D