Chapter 12- Recovery

Superiority Complex

It's been four days and she woke up knowing she wasn't supposed to be there. The bed, sheets, windows, the fixtures and the light; she was back in her room in Key's house. Last night was all a blur after she cried herself out. The loss of her father has been too much for her to bear that she literally shut herself off for the last three days. She didn't go to work and barely did she talk to anyone. It was a friday then and she still had to go to work. The mural she was supposed to be working on and should be halfway done by now is left standing without anyone to tend it.

"Hi Ms. Amber.." one of the maids spoke softly when she knocked and entered Amber's room..

"Hello.."

"Breakfast is ready. Master Key is waiting downstairs to eat with you.."

"He is? Okay.. I'll be down in a bit.."

"Waiting for you.." The maid's words replayed in Amber's head as she washed her face in the comfort room. Last night, she saw a side of Key she never saw before. He listened. He was patient and didn't criticize anything she said. She appreciated his presence and for coming over to "fetch" her. Though she doesn't remember how they went back to Key's house.

--------------

She went downstairs and saw that indeed Key was at the dining table waiting for her. He hasn't touched his food one bit. Amber's food was waiting patiently at the table waiting to be devoured. 

"Hurry up eating.. You need to go to work today. The mural hasn't been worked on for so long and you need to do something about it.." Amber nodded. She then stared at Key intensely which then made the latter a little uncomfortable. He'd look back and avert his gaze and go back to eating and do that all over again.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Key asked.

Amber shook her head, smiled and went back to eating. Suho was just observing the two at a corner and was smiling all to himself as if he's thoroughly enjoying the scene. He left the two to head back to the kitchen. 

Key went on ahead while Amber took her bath. After she finished, she looked right into the mirror. The four days of agonizing didn't bring her any good. She never had adequate sleep and her eye bags grew exponentially. She lost some weight in those four days like she lost them in a month. The stress and pain her father's brought to her was immense that she forgot to take care of herself. If her father would've seen her, he would've scold her by now. 

----------------

It was like a movie scene when she entered the company. The employees were looking at her like she was some sort of monster. She didn't mind the stares and found it quite funny. Her circle of friends had mouths gaping wide open ready for flies to land on their tongues..

"Oh my gosh, Amber is that you???"

"Eonni, what did you do???"

Amber gave Woori and Sulli a smile to answer their questions.. Hyorin smacked the other two girls. "The answer to your questions are pretty obvious isn't it? The best thing to ask her is "why.."

Amber shrugged it off while the three bickered non-stop. She felt enlightened so she headed on to the scaffolding to continue the mural that was left alone for so long. She snuck out of the three and did what she was hired for in the first place. She stared at it. Without any warrant, memories of her father started flooding in. She didn't want to cry but sadness prevailed once again. She started her brush letting her emotions take over.  She let herself be consumed with it and the idea for the painting came and came. 

She'd been working on it for some time when she had to go to the comfort room to change the wash water she was using. It was heavy and since she was too focused in carrying it, she didn't notice someone coming and bumped into that person..

"Oh my, I'm so sorry.."

"No, it's okay.. I."

The guy paused and stared at Amber for some time.. "You're the girl who's painting the mural down the hallway right??" he asked. Amber nodded in response.

"Amber, your name is Amber right? Remember me, Minho?"

"Oh, yeah.. Of course, oh my you're the Vice Chair. I'm so sorry..."

"No, I'm okay..."

He then helped Amber pick her things up and smiled. She only bowed to thank him and left on since she was in a hurry. Minho also carried on his way. Meanwhile, Key, Taemin and Jonghyun were at the meeting room. They were on a short break.. While playing with his pen, Taemin asked Key various questions and Jjong played in.

"Hyung, you look more refreshed lately.. Is it because of your marriage?"

"Yeah Key.. You do seem more at ease when we meet and when I see you.."

"Nothing is new about me.. Maybe it's just the imagination of you two.."

Jonghyun wanted to tease Key. "So, are you two.. You know? Doing things.."

Key didn't get what Jonghyun was trying to say not until he smacked his arm.."What the hell hyung? Are you seriously going to ask such a question?"

"I'm just kidding!"

"What thing?" Taemin asked.

The two only looked at him and Jonghyun laughed at Taemin's innocence. "You'll do that someday as well Taemin, don't worry.."

Taemin shrugged his shoulders.."So hyung, how is your wife?"

But right before Key could answer Taemin's question. Someone entered.. "Whose wife?" He asked. They all looked towards the direction where the voice came from. Key facepalmed. Jonghyun tried to hide his face while Taemin looked shocked.

"Wife? Key's wife?" Onew asked. Taemin tried to save the situation. "No! Hyung what are you talking about? Key hyung doesn't have a wife, doesn't he Jonghyun hyung?" Jonghyun only nodded to go with Taemin's plan to avert Onew's attention on the topic. But being the eldest and smart as he is, Onew knew what the two were doing. 

"You two are pretty much caught, so stop changing the topic and tell me does Key have a wife?"

The two looked at Key who was staring at them. After which, Key sighed. "Yeah, you heard them right hyung..My wife"

"You're married? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I've been busy and it was such a sudden thing.. I thought you wouldn't understand."

"I'll be surprised to be honest but not to the point of not understanding you.." Onew then turned his question to Jonghyun and Taemin.. "Have you two met her?" He asked. Jonghyun and Taemin only shook their heads.

"I see, then why don't the four of us and Key's wife go to my house this weekend? It's her birthday. She loves guests coming but I'm saving a family lunch for us..Come on. I'm doing this for her.."

"I'd love to hyung but I have a meeting this weekend, perhaps Key hyung and Jonghyun hyung could go?" Taemin replied. The other two nodded and pledged that they would go. Minho came back several minutes later and continued on with their meeting..

-------------

Amber was bound to go home. She was able to somehow make up for the lost time on the mural. She was able to work extra fast that day which made her really happy. Jia stopped near the door.

"You owe us several work days, and I owe you a visit.. I'm sorry I wasn't able to go to your father's wake."

"It's fine Jia, I understand.." 

"No. I insist. Let me at least treat you to something before you go home?"

"I'm in a hurry.." Amber replied. But Jia was persistent. She pushed herself towards Amber while doing this cute puppy face most people can't resist. Amber is one of those people. "Fine.. Treat me Milk Tea then?" Jia seemed pleased and accompanied Amber until she left for home.

--------------

Key came in a little late that evening. He finished the board meeting by 4:30pm but since he still had some papers he needed to read and submit to the different departments, he finally left by 6:00pm and traffic wasn't any help. He arrived and noticed that Amber's shoes were by the shoe rack. He proceeded to the dining area but no one was there besides Suho preparing the food.

"Hey Key.."

"Hi Suho hyung.."

"Eat up.. She's not yet here.."

"What? But I saw her shoes at the shoe rack.."

"She arrived earlier but went off to visit her dad's grave if I'm not mistaken.. She said you can go ahead and eat your dinner."

Key wasn't pleased that Amber didn't ask for his permission that she'll leave. He was already agitated enough that she didn't come home for almost four days and there she goes leaving the house without telling him. Key didn't eat his dinner and proceeded upstairs to his room.

-------------

Amber arrived about an hour later since Key came home. "I'm back." No one welcomed her but since she was hungry, she decided to head to the kitchen surprised to find there still were two plates lying at the table..

"Suho???" She shouted out. A Suho then popped out from the kitchen, asking her what was it..

"Key hasn't arrived yet?" She asked.

"No, he came home almost an hour ago but insisted he's not hungry.."

"Aish, that immature boy.." 

Amber stomped her way to Key's room. She's reminded Key before not to skip meals. She barged right into his door and found Key lying on his bed still in his office wear, with his head buried in his pillow.

"Hey, get up.. I told you to eat right?"

"No.." Key replied.

"Come on. Look, I'm sorry for not telling you I'll be leaving but I wasn't going to take so long so I thought why ask.. Besides, I didn't want to bother you.."

"Whatever.."

"What a baby.." Amber thought in her head. He was so stubborn not to get up on his bed. She then thought of an idea to budge him and finally convince him to head downstairs. She crept closer to Key's bed and attacked him by tickling his waist. The lad started freaking out and yelled her to stop..

"No! Tell me you'll eat first!"

"Fine! I'll eat.." Amber let it go and blew air to her fingers like she shot a gun. Key on the other hand started standing up. He soon made his way to the door but stopped the moment he faced Amber. He had his eyes wide open..

"What the hell did you do to your hair????!!!" He shouted.

"Woah, woah.. Calm down. It's not like it doesn't look good or anything.."

"Calm down?? You're.. You're freaking blonde!! When did this happen?"

"This morning, before I came to work. Come on. Get over it, let's eat.."

Key was dazed. Amber dragged him downstairs. Suho seemed to have predicted that they'll be eating since the food has already been prepared. They made their way to the table and Amber would frequently laugh at Key's reactions on her hair. 

"This can't be real. You're blonde. It's platinum blonde! Are you kidding me?"

"Then, why don't you dye your hair like mine? That'll be cool.."

"Cool? Do you think I can go to work looking like that?"

"Ohh, well you have a point.."

They continued to eat until both of them have finished. Amber then raced upstairs entering Key's room. Key saw where she was going so he hurried upstairs as well..

"Hey!! What are you doing in my room??"

"Nothing. I'm kind of bored.. Let's play!"

"I have no time to play.. I've got some work to do.."

"Oh really?" Amber then grabbed the sheets of paper on Key's bed and waved them up and down like a hooligan..

"These? Save these for tomorrow!!"

They soon started chasing each other in Key's room, it was a matter of time when they started running around the second floor. They looked like little kids playing tag with Amber trying her best not to be caught while Key looking exhausted chasing Amber around..

"Why don't you just go to sleep?"

"I'm not yet tired.. But I'll go to sleep if you catch me and these papers!"

The chase went on and on  until they went to and fro the first and second floor. Key was getting tired so he used the best tactic he can. When Amber was near the door of her room, Key pounced on her and cornered her between his arms. The girl moved backwards while Key kept leaning towards her. Amber's heart started beating faster as Key leaned in closer and closer with a smirk on his face. Amber on the other closed her eyes and eventually passed underneath Key's arms and headed to the stairs..

"Can't catch me!"

Key has had enough. He's been tired the entire day and wanted to finish his work as soon as possible so he can go to sleep earlier..

"Come on, Amber. Could you just give that back?"

Amber stopped on her way and faced Key with such a surprised expression on her face. She looked at him keenly. "Say that again.."

"Say what?"

"What you said, just now.."

"Amber, give me back the paper?"

Amber smiled. She headed back up the stairs and handed the paper to Key. "You win.. But I'll beat you next time, okay? I'll be sleeping as promised.. Good night Key." She headed to her room leaving Key feeling a little confused on how it all happened. He headed back to his room and went on with his business to finish sooner. He sat on his bed and started reading the paper that Amber kept on taking away from him moments ago.

He smiled a faint smile. "She's such a kid, just like last night." Key mumbled.

She cried and cried while she had her back leaning to his. He didn't realize it but it seemed Amber was drunk and drank by herself before coming home that night. She cried and wept and mumbled how painful it was to lose her father. Key can't say anything because he hasn't experienced the same pain she's had. He had his struggles, he had his heart be broken in the past but not on the same extent on the agony it has been in Amber's life. She started sobbing non-stop and she seemed to have lost awareness of what was going on. It was getting late and Key needed to get back home. He bid farewell to Jackie but was problematic on how to take Amber to the car. He thought for some time and came to a realization that he had no other choice but to carry her to the car. He piggybacked Amber while the girl held on tight not aware of the position they were in.. She wasn't as heavy as Key expected. It was quite a long walk since he parked his car several blocks away from Amber's home. She still cried and wept. It was like that until she brought Amber to her bed in the same manner and let her sleep once and for all.

 

Key pitied Amber. The pain she had to go through wasn't easy.. But then again,she's not the only one.

=======================================

Finally! I've been able to update..

Teehee, any idea why Amber gave the papers without a fight? I mean, it's pretty obvious isn't it? XD

Sorry if it took some time but I've been busy and school is starting tomorrow! . Since school is back, I do have to focus.. I'm now in my second year of college. yey! So I think I'll be updating at least once a week. :) Lucky enough if I can give a double update.. Please be patient with me and thank you so much for staying in tuned! Chapter 13 will be posted soon! ^^