Chapter 27- Longing

Superiority Complex

 

It was a matter of life or death for her. It was a matter of wanting to stay but of the need to go away. It tore her. It pained her, knowing for a fact that the last bit of what she considers as a family, she needs to walk away from. It was a choice to keep her sanity or live the rest of her days regretting she could lose the one life that can give an entirely new meaning to her life. It broke her and every day since then it had been. But then again, what's done is done. She left and perhaps there would be no turning back.

--------------

Others would consider it baby steps, but for him it's always a leap of faith. Always with the uncertainty of what tomorrow would bring, he'd wake up everyday without the drive to actually live through it. Alcohol became his bestfriend and tears would hug him before he went to sleep. It'd been like that for several days before he actually decided to move forward. Truth be told, he doesn't believe the word trust would ever exist in his vocabulary. Not after what happened.. He hated her. He hated what he did to her. After letting her into his life, trusting her, loving her, she'll eventually leave. It broke him apart. It tore him to pieces. But he had to move on, he had to let go. It was all a matter of time before he can finally say, "I'm okay."

"Sorry it took me some time. I had to fix some things before going here."

"Nah. It's okay. It's not like I'm on a schedule or anything."

The former sat and took the cup of coffee that had been prepared a few minutes before he came. It was bittersweet. Seeing the one person he truly cares for the most, is in front of his eyes. Actually smiling and looking positive with life.

He laid witness to the pain. He saw the anguish and anger that the person had to go through. He understood perfectly as to why that person had to leave. If that person didn't, sanity would've escaped his side.

The former stood and walked nearer. "Can you really tell me, while looking into my eyes, that you're ready? We never rushed you. All of us understood."

"It's okay Minho. It's about time anyway. Don't worry. I'll be fine.'

Doubts were still there. "Is that person really ready?" It's a question that is yet to be answered.

---------------

"Stand up will you! We can't be all lazy here.." She shouted.

"Ohh cut it, will you eonni?!" 

"Ssul. If we don't start working, boss Minho will strangle the hell out of us, so stand up!"

"Fine Woori eonni, but come on, join me first.."

The two were lazily hanging out the front lobby. It was still early and official office hours haven't really started but both came in early anyway. 

"She never came back, didn't she?" Sulli asked.

Woori only shook her head. 

"I kind of understand Boss Key as to why he suddenly left like that. I mean, the girl you love, who's bearing your child suddenly walks away to the depths of nowhere? Can't blame him as to why he sought to find himself elsewhere."

"True. But come on, can you really blame Amber, Ssul? Boss Key was acting strange, turns out he was secretly visiting his ex. Damn, I might've done the same thing Amber did. You can't really put the blame on her to be honest."

The two spent another fifteen minutes staring at the mural Amber made years back and wondered where she could be by then. Time has definitely gone by and her whereabouts were unheard of the entire time.

It was a typical day in the workplace but then a lot has changed. Minho's methods of governing the workplace is effective. For the past years, the efficiency of the employees increased from 46% to 62%. It's a big achievement for someone who only took over a few years back. The number of clients significantly increased as well. All seems to be happy, both clientelle and employees.

------------------

"You busy today?"

"Like I told you, nobody really knows besides you and it's not like I have plans. Why? You want to go somewhere today?"

"There's somewhere I'd like to take you.'

They drove off. Things have changed since then. The streets are busier, people walked around and about. It was quite different from what he remembers. Perhaps the time he spent somewhere else had cleared all of the past memories he'd associate with the places he saw.. Especially if it was connected to her.

He dozed off only to wake up to a ray of sunlight hitting on his face. It was well past noon and the sun was at its brightest.

"Come."

They walked and it was rather lenghty. He hadn't been in such a place for so long. Perhaps, 8 to 10 years? It was when he visited his father's grave.
Minho eventually stopped and started brushing off the fallen leaves that were lying near her name. He clapped his hands twice and prayed. 

"You didn't have to take me here Minho."

"It was a wish that came directly from her Kibum. Don't deprive of her last wish. It was the only thing I can promise her at that time."

"I know. It's just that you know I don't like places like this. Besides, it's not like I made her happy during her last days.. I mean, we had something but I bet she was at her happiest when she was with you. I was angry at you but then I realized, during the time I was gone, it was fated that she had to let me go and go to you."

"Gayoon was always sorry for what she did to you."

"Don't worry. I know that and I don't really mind. I mean, before I left, I talked to her frequently. She loved to talk about as to how happy she felt when you asked her to marry you. She was scared but at the same time ecstatic since she knew, that before she passes on, she can be happy. That's why I have to thank you Minho for making a woman who became part of my life, happy."

"It was the other way around to be honest. No matter how sick she was, she wanted to see to it that she can fulfill her wife duties very well. Our short three year marriage before she passed on had been the three happiest years of my life. Can't really wish for anything more to be honest.."

The two prayed and walked around to enjoy the sun. 

"How are the others?"

"Onew hyung is still with Luna. He seems to be in better terms with Jonghyun hyung but still they rarely talk. Apparently, Jonghyun hyung is dating an actress. I don't really know her name but he's looking happier lately. Taemin, well, he's still our mighty dongsaeng but he's definitely grown. I heard he'd been pursuing a girl, an employee in his department."

"How about you?"

"Well.. I've been okay Hyung. I mean, I'm still coping with Gayoon's death but it's all good. I mean, no woman can really resist my charm!"

Key only gave Minho a light punch as a form of mockery.

"How about you hyung? I mean.."

"Europe did me well. I got to know myself again. The guy who loved music. You know that I was never a fan of art but music helped me when I stayed there. Especially when I was in Paris. To be honest, I was tempted to not go back and just leave everything in your hands but then I asked myself, Would I be happy? Can I live the rest of my days, knowing that the work I put so much effort into would be passed on so easily? It's not that I don't trust you"ll keep everything going, but I wanted to go back. I had to.. Six years was more than adequate for me to fix myself.. besides.."

"Besides?"

"I have unfinished business here."

"Hyung.."

"Don't worry. I can manage. Another road rage wouldn't make here go back to me.. Just as she said, only time can really tell. If we're meant to be together. We'll be. And if that time comes, I'll fight for her tooth and nail."

"But what if she's married?"

"I'm still the father of her firstborn. Can't resist and deny that part. I know, somewhere in her heart. I'm still significant.. All I can do is wait patiently for her. "

Minho smiled. Key has changed but he has definitely changed for the better. He's grown mature and the six years of him being away did him well.

"Why don't we go back to the office? I bet everyone would be thrilled to see their boss is back?"

Key laughed and followed Minho as the latter walked back to the car. Indeed, he's back and he's more than happy to be.

--------------

A swarm of employees welcomed Minho and Key. Minho was most certain it was because of Key. Most of the female employees were relatively new or if not, it was because they didn't recognize Key. Europe did not only change his attitude in life but also his looks. He got a fairer complexion and sported his hair way shorter than it was before he left. Woori and Sulli saw that he's back and smiled over the fact that things could be better for him.

"Am I that good looking Minho?"

"Don't be too full of yourself hyung. You just look different.. Nothing more."

It was all the same. The leather sofa with the stain, the coffee machine, the table, the books. Everything was kept well intact even after so long..

"I had this room closed but had it cleaned every now and then to keep it's integrity. I didn't know what to do with it so I thought might as well keep it the way it is. Jonghyun and Onew hyung will be back by tomorrow and Taemin is out of town for two weeks. He'd been busier since the Finance dept. was bombarded with requests from our clients. He's grown to be a fine man Key.. Couldn't be more proud.

"You sounded like a father Minho.. But thank you. For everything.."

"It's no big. I was glad you entrusted things to me. I felt important somehow. If you need anything I'll be at the office."

As Minho was about to walk out of the room. 'Oh, yeah. I think you missed using this. I had it driven here earlier today.. Roam around town, you need a new dose of Seoul after all that Europe trip."
Minho threw a pair of keys. It was the key to Key's car. Key smiled and thanked Minho. He went out of his room into the parking lot and drove out in his red car. It was exhilirating. Indeed, he was back and couldn't be happier.

The first stop was an ice cream shop he'd always go to ever since he was a student. Nothing much has changed besides the fact that the store added more flavors to their menu. Key ordered his favorite chili avocado. Not a lot of people like it but he likes the sourness it brings to his palette.

A few more stops he thought and he'll go to his newly bought house. Suho and the others had been there ever since Key bought the place about four years back. He had to let go of his former home for reasons people didn't really have to question. He was about to walk back to his car, but a commotion was happening not far from where he is parked. He came closer to see what was happening.

He saw three boys that were obviously picking on a little girl. 

"Hey! Give that back!" She shouted. Key had to intervene since the boys were starting to push the little girl around.

"yah! if you don't have better things to do, why don't you go home and actually do some studying?! Instead of picking on someone.."

The little boys ran away while Key helped the little girl stand up. The onlookers left while the little girl started to wipe her skirt.

"You okay?"

"Neh. Thanks ahjussi."

"Ahjussi?" Key mentally shouted in his head. Was he really that old?

The little girl started picking up an envelope. It was filled with paintbrushes and watercolor. They looked relatively old and some appeared to be broken since the boys broke it.

"You paint?' Key asked.

"Ahh, it's for a school project.. We still have to make a portrait of my family tomorrow but I only have two brushes left.."

"I can buy you some if you want to.."  Key offered.

"Really?" The little girl's face just lit up. "But don't do anything funny to me ahjussi, or else I will kick you.."

The little girl has a fiesty spirit. "Don't worry. I won't.. Come."

Key offered his hand while the little kid held it. It was fun. A smile crept upon his face in the thought that he has a child somewhere, wishing he could hold the hand of his child as well. The two of them went to a bookstore and Key bought not only brushes but also an entire new set of acrylic paint the little girl could use. The little girl was more than happy to receive the gift. Eventually, the two of them had to go back where they met since Key didn't bring his car. He treated the girl to some ice cream before he decides to leave.

"You look so young, why were those boys bullying you anyway?"

"They were just making fun of me.. Saying that I popped out of a mushroom with no real parents.."

"Why is that?"

"Well, I don't look like my eomma at all. I barely do. I got used to it eventually. They just won't stop."

"Really? How old are you by the way?"

"I'll be turning seven later this year ahjussi..You?"

"Ohh, I'm almost thirty.. Also, don't call me ahjussi.. Key appa. That'll  be fne."

"Appa?"

"yeah.. Appa." 

"Okay, Key appa. I'm Eunjeon. Kim Eunjeon.." 

Key smiled towards the little girl. She has got such spirit and he admired her postive outlook. "Appa, I have to go. Eomma would be waiting for me and it's almost dinner time."

'Want me to drop you off?"

"Really?" She asked yet again. Key only nodded and the Eunjeon raced her to the car. It was a short drive and Key dropped her off on the corner of where her house is located. The little girl bid her farewell as Key drove off to go back home.

-------------------

"I'm home!" 

"Eunjeon! Where have you been? You should've been home hours ago."

"Eomma, I just uhmm. I ate some ice cream that's all. I was looking outside the shop to see what else I can paint for tomorrow's class."

"Fine, bathe and go back. Dinner is ready.."

------------------

Suho welcomed Key with a warm hug and said he's more than happy that his dongsaeng is back. Key was able to send most of his things that he only had a few more things left unpacked. They were mostly his personal things and items he holds precious as a souvenir from Europe. The house he bought was apparently larger than the previous one. It had a wider backyard and it obviously had a pool. A grillery and fishpond was seen not far from the pool. The second floor was mostly a guest room and a large party area. His own room was located in the third floor. 

His room was smaller however compared to his last. He found it unsignificant to have a big room since he doesn't really let people into his room without permission. He unpacked his hand carry and placed the items he had on a shelf he had customized to hold all the things he bought. One however was placed specifically beside his bed. It was a picture frame he brought around Europe. When times would get lonely, he'll look at it and remember, it was a picture of her profile as she carefully painted. Her smile reminded him that he had to find himself and be a better man. He held it precious.

"I'll find you.. and I won't let you go."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janjanjan!!!! An update after 1256823688698 years.. :) I just feel so touched to those of you who keep commenting and have newly subscribed to this fic. It's been some time since I last updated. FINALLY! It's our semestral break and I can finally post updates. Exams are over! The hellest sem in my university is over and I'm proud to say I made it through. ;) Again, thank you SOOOOO MUCH for being waiting patiently for this update. I hope you guys are still there. I missed AFF and I feel more than happy to be back!

So, yeah. Enough with all the wild hellos. This update, well it's practically an update. I mean, yeah. Key was gone for six years and things have definitely changed. Can't really have them meet yet again so soon. Eunjeon, well.. can't reveal her true story just yet. Amber is yet to meet Key. hoho.. Don't assume so easily, that's a remark! Anyway, again. Thank you so much and stay tuned for the next chapter!

if you guys want to talk to me, you can tweet me @amkiiberbeom
It's my public account since my private account is, well.. Private. see you!! :D