Chapter 17- Minor Misunderstanding

Superiority Complex

Taking a look from every corner, every angle, it's no doubt that she's beautiful. She has a bright smile on her face that everyone will grow to love. She has a twinkle in her eyes that you can never fail to notice. She's gorgeous. It's as simple as that. If you were to express yourself to describe on how beautiful she is, it's actually an understatement to call her beautiful. She's like a fictional character came to life.

----------------

She felt a light tap on her side as if trying to get her out of something. It was Key. She felt another light tap and cleared trying to signal she's just fine and everything's all right. She was such in thought about Gayoon's appearance that she barely noticed she looked dazed and out of it. It took her a good two seconds to get back to reality right after Key tapped her twice.
He had this "what the hell is wrong?" kind of face. Amber only stared at him and only to stare at Gayoon back. She headed to sit down and Key followed her.

"It's been quite some time. How have you been?" Gayoon asked directed to Key. 

"I know.It's definitely been a long time. How long has it been? three? Four years?"

"It's been four years and four months to be exact.. Can't believe it's been that long. I mean, it's crazy right? That was how long since I last saw you.."

Key grew silent after. Amber doesn't know why exactly but he did. He sighed after and tugged on Amber's arm.

"I haven't really talked much about my wife here.."

Amber mumbled something inaudible to Key so it was pretty understandable that he didn't hear any of the things Amber said. It wasn't really a big deal. It was more of questions asking what Key was up to.

"I heard a lot about you two from Aunt Chunyi here. You still have your flavor I see? Just what do you have that makes girls fall for you like that?"

"Don't start with me.." Key replied with a tone.

"I was just kidding. So... Amber, right? How's Key as a husband?"

Amber was a little shocked to have the focus of the conversation be diverted to her. She was just enthusing herself in drinking her coffee she barely was prepared to have an answer. She pointed at herself cluelessly and Gayoon only nodded.

"Ohh, well.."

Key then sneakily and lightly kicked Amber by the shin which made the girl cringe. She tried her best not to show it but the kick did hurt.

"He's.. He can never be the perfect husband. But I too can't be the perfect wife. I can't say that we never have those days we won't agree on things but I think it's amazing.. Every day, every single day, knowing I can spend with him is more than enough for me to be happy.. I can't really ask for anything else.."

It was a short and brief answer. Key stared at Amber intently. He was expecting an answer from Amber but not as how it felt so sincere. He expected something a little more generic and out of a script. It's not that he didn't like how Amber answered but it wasn't something he expected at all. Not one bit.

Gayoon also seemed to react the same way. Key's mother has mentioned to her that it was a quick romance, Key's and Amber's, that they possibly barely knew anything about each other but they married anyway. Indeed it's been months but Gayoon didn't see Amber's answer coming at all. She expected Amber to stutter or actually not say anything at all. 

"I see. That's good to hear..I'm. I'm really happy for the two of you.."

The conversation went on for the almost an hour without them noticing that the food has arrived minutes ago. Amber and Gayoon would share casual talks and the latter would ask things about Key. Amber didn't mind them. It was a chance to actually share to Gayoon and Key's mother that they actually get along pretty well. Key would just listen silently and smile as Amber shares the things they do.

"That's really amazing.. I mean, Key, you must be happy to finally have settled down?" 

"It is. I finally feel at ease.."

Amber was now busy eating her food. It was her turn to listen to Key and Gayoon's conversation. It looked like a reunion for those two. Gayoon did say that it's been years since they last saw each other so it's no wonder they talk so excitedly about themselves and how they've been.

"So, when do you two plan to start a family and have a baby?"

Upon hearing the word "baby", Amber choked on the food she was chewing. She coughed and asked Key to hand over the glass of water. She drank it as fast as she can to relieve herself of the feeling of not being able to breathe.

"Ohh my, are you alright?" Gayoon asked. Amber only gave a thumbs to show she was fine. Well honestly, she wasn't but the question Gayoon asked was so out of the blue that she bet not even Key or Chunyi was expecting one bit.

"I'm fine. It was just ughh.. Unexpected.."

"Really? I mean.. You two have been married for months right? By now, you could've at least talked about having a baby?" Gayoon was really pushing it.  Both Key and Amber started feeling uncomfortable since a "baby" was out of the equation and never will be a part. After all, their marriage was contractual, wasn't it?

"Can we not go there Gayoon. It's only been months and we plan to enjoy our married life as just us without worrying about a baby just yet.."

"I'm sorry.. I didn't mean."

Amber has remained silent from then. She didn't know what else to say or even talk about anything. Gayoon's question made her feel a little uncomfortable. It wasn't her fault entirely but Amber just felt awkward especially having Key's mother opposite her looking at her as if she was being skinned and burned alive. Key on the other hand seemed to have felt it and opted for the two of them to leave.

"Uhmm.. I think we should get going." 

"What? But, we've still got a lot of talking to do?" Gayoon replied.

"I still have some work to attend to and Amber needs to get back to her business as well.. Please excuse us."

"Can't you at least give me a hug?" Gayoon said and gestured. Key looked hesistant but eventually Amber tugged on him and nodded. Key reached in for the hug. It was quite a tight hug from Gayoon.

"I've missed you. Thank you for coming.. I thought you weren't going to talk to me at all." She whispered. Key didn't reply and eventually let go to head back to Amber's side. They left and went to the car.

----------------

It felt weird but the ride back home was quite silent. Amber can't tell what she was feeling but she doesn't want to talk about anything that has happened. Key felt the same way. Seeing someone you haven't met for so long feels weird. He didn't know how to react or talk towards Gayoon.
The two of them arrived back home without speaking. Both headed to their respective rooms silently. Suho noticed the tense air between the two so he headed to Key's room.

"Hey Key-goon.."

"Hmm?"

"What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"You, Amber.. What's going on?"

Key only shook his head. Suho didn't buy it and kept asking.

"You two looked fine this morning and now you two aren't talking.. Did something happen with your mother yet again?"

"Not really.."

"Then what?"

"It's nothing hyung.."

"There've been only two instances I've seen you so messed up Key. One was when you made a mess at the bar almost two weeks ago and the other one.."

"Gayoon is back.." Key butted in.

"Gayoon? Heo Gayoon?" Suho asked twice. Key only nodded. "I see.. Well, Amber? I mean.."

"She handled it very well. She did very well today.. I mean, she doesn't.."

"I'm not in the position to say this but sooner or later.."

"I know Suho hyung.. I know."

Suho closed in on the door after the brief conversation with Key. It was afternoon then and Key doesn't have work to do until tomorrow. He dozed himself to sleep hoping when he wakes up, he'd be more at ease.

------------------

"You said that things will never change between us?"

"I did.. I used to believe about everything.. About us. But things can no longer go on like this.."

"We can make this work.."

"I don't think we can still do that. Please.. Let us save ourselves before things completely fall apart. I don't want to hurt you yet I'm tired.. I'm tired. I've changed, you've changed. We're no longer the same people that started everything. Let's save ourselves."

She tugged unto his shirt tightly; grasping every last inch of his being. She had her things packed. A few more minutes and she was bound to leave. He was hoping she could still change his mind but it's done. The damage has been done and that's that.

-----------------

A faint knock that was barely audible actually woke Key up. Several more knocks followed before Key permitted entry. A girl peeked and it was Amber. 

"Dinner's ready.. You hungry?"

Key rubbed  his eyes as he nodded. "I'll be going down in a bit.."

Amber closed the door and her footsteps were heard as she went downstairs. Key sighed right before he went out of bed. As he went out of the door, he sniffed the air, perceiving a familiar smell. He hurriedly went to the dining area to see what was happening or what was cooking. He saw ddeokboki. Spicy rice cakes he hasn't had in a while. He looked at Amber who was busy preparing the dishes.

"I cooked them though I had some help. I'm not sure about the taste but I hope it can cheer you up."

Key sat down like a little kid waiting for his toy. Amber handed over Key's portion and he immediately digged.

"Aughh.. Thish ish sho good" He said with his mouth full. Amber sat down and also digged in. Key was busy indulging himself that Amber hesitated to talk. "I think we did really well today.."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, we looked real right? This time around, I think your mother is more convinced we're real.."

"Ohh, yeah. I think so too.. I just hope she didn't have to bring Gayoon with her.."

"Speaking of Gayoon.. She's really pretty." Amber said. Key only nodded.

"She seems really nice and I feel she can speak english really well. I just wish we got the chance to talk to each other. Ohh, and can I say that her aura is really bright."

"Amber could you.."

"Wait! I think it would be great for us to get together. I mean, I want to talk to her and get to know her like your cousins. We could.."

A loud bang on the table was heard and Amber had to stop on what she was saying. "Could you just stop?! Just shut up.."

"Wait, why are.."

"Just shut it."

Key left the table and headed back upstairs without finishing his portion of ddeokboki. Amber didn't know what to say or do. She doesn't know why Key acted like that.

-------------------

Late evening came and Key's food was left untouched. Amber had to clean everything up and put the ddeokboki to waste since Key wasn't going to eat them anyway. She didn't know what she did wrong but she felt it was necessary for her to apologize. She decided she will later on that evening.

-------

It was a little past midnight. Key couldn't fall asleep. He can't not when things happened so fast that day. Gayoon is back, his mother's schemes and Amber's weird shift in behavior from being quiet to as talkative as hell. He didn't know what to do. He feels tired for some weird reason and wished he could just take a break.

He stood up from his bed and went to a drawer near his closet for his shoes. He opened it and took out yet another box. It was locked by a passcode. He dialed the numbers and it opened, bringing out a key. It was a silver key. He took it, grasped it and went out of his room. He headed to the end of the hallway and faced the door with the embellished door. It was the room that Amber was always curious about what was inside. 

Key sighed and slid in the key the lock. He twisted it and opened it. He opened the door and went inside.

----------------------

She was walking to and fro the room feeling tense. She hasn't painted in a while and she feels that it's such a deprivation that's why she's feeling so tense. But the true reason behind her tension was because she was thinking of what to say. She's been going on like that for almost an hour and a half. She was mentally rehearsing and correcting the things she should say. She was beating herself when to talk to Key but she had to no matter what. After a few pats on her cheeks, she headed out her room to head to Key's.

She was in front of Key's room. She was about to knock but noticed a faint light that was coming from behind her. It was coming from the end of the hallway. Amber withdrew her hand and looked where the light was coming from. She looked carefully and noticed the "mysterious door" about quarter of an inch open. She bit her lips, deciding whether to enter or not. But as a curious cat as she is, she entered anyway.

---------------------

It was a little dark but the moon shone perfectly in the room keeping it illuminated just right.. Amber's eyes took some time to adjust. What she saw eventually somehow surprised her. It was a furnished room but everything was covered with white canvas. Every furniture, every drawer and what appeared to be books and picture frames are covered. 

------------------

Key was back in his room. He felt a little more relaxed after going inside the room by the end of the hallway. He reached in for his pockets to keep the key back into the box. But what felt wrong was that the key seemed not to be in his pocket. He kept patting it but it was clear the key wasn't with him. He walked out of his room to head back to the room but was surprised to find the door slightly open.

Amber was about to reach for one of the frames to see what was underneath but was stopped when she heard the door creak. She found Key by the door with his eyes wide open.

"What are you doing here?!" He shouted.

"I ugh." 

Key rushed towards Amber and took a tight grip of her right hand. "I said what are you doing here?!"

"I was.. I saw the door open. I thought you were asleep so I thought maybe I could peek for a few minutes.. I'm sorry.. I didn't' mean to.."

"Sorry?! I told you before that don't just go any of the rooms without me knowing! I told you.. Can't you understand that?!" Key's grip then grew tighter around Amber's right hand that it started to hurt the girl.

"Key, it hurts. Let me go.." she mumbled. "You can never go here!" He shouted yet again..

"I didn't know.. I'm sorry. Please, let me go.."

Key threw Amber's hand away.. "Yeah.. That's right. You don't know anything. You'll never know anything! You're just some girl I hired to pretend to be my wife. I even pay you! God, if it weren't for necessity you wouldn't be here in the first place anyway. GET OUT!. Heh. You're an artist who never made it big and will never.. You're just some.."

A slap. A loud, snapping slap was heard before even Key could finish what he was saying. He stopped and looked at Amber who already had tears in her eyes. She raised her hand as if wanting to slap Key yet again. But instead, she withdrew it covered her face and walked out of the room. The only thing that can be heard was her sobbing. Key fell on his knees. It was all too late before he realized his words. He was wrong. He went overboard. 

And it was all because of her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update! ^^ Yey.. Okay, so some of you may be wondering who in the world is Gayoon? She is a member of 4Minute. You can check her out and truth is she really is pretty.. :D Search her name and key's name as keywords on google or wherever and you'll know what I'm trying to imply here. Anyway, so.. Yeah. Finished some exams this week and I feel braindrained as hell >_< 

Hope you enjoy this update! :D My workload will be a little light so maybe.. MAYBE I can update another chapter tomorrow? Thanks for reading and thank you to all my subscribers! :D