Chapter 41- Three

Superiority Complex

They could just break down and cry. The revelation, the big revelation has happened. Amber could just fall weak on her knees and cry. Both happiness and fear were taking over her. After so many years of searching, wishing and hoping..Her daughter, their daughter was just there. The daughter she was yearning to hold and care for was right in front of her. No wonder that girl enjoyed art so much, she is exactly like her. Amber just cried. 

"Eunyoung. She's... She's my daughter, our daughter, Key."

No words were needed to be spoken to say how much emotion filled them that moment. It was as if time actually stood still for them to be able to absorb what was truly happening. Key hugged Amber and they cried. Mrs. Kim, on the other hand, remained seated and let the couple enjoy the moment. She was happy for them. She truly was but she knows for a fact that she is yet to answer some questions that the two will ask.

--------------

After what seemed to be an endless night, all of them called it a night. No questions were asked. No answers were given. Amber and Key called it. They provided the guest room to let Mrs. Kim stay for the night. The latter knows that once the sun rises, that is when she is to face her judgement.

Indeed it did. Key and Amber asked called for Mrs. Kim. They were actually decent enough to provide breakfast for her as they questioned the woman.

"Mrs. Kim, we need answers."

"I was expecting that. I'm going to answer all your questions but I have a favor to ask of you."

"Name it." Key replied.

Mrs. Kim bowed. "Whatever you may know, please on whatever you plan to do with my husband and I, swear that you will take care of my daughter, Eunjeon. We have no other relatives here in Seoul. I can't bear for her to end up in an orphanage because of a choice we made years before. Please.." The woman had started crying. Amber sat beside her and held her hand.

"Don't worry Mrs. Kim. We'll take care of Eunjeon no matter what. So, please. Lift your head. Bowing and lowering yourself like this is just too much. All we need are answers. We didn't ask for you to give up your dignity."

Mrs. Kim answered all the questions the two fired at her. Like how Eunyoung ended up in their care, how they got her. They were very simple to be honest.

"My husband and I, we are not very rich. We barely survive through the day. He works at a factory and most of the time, his salary would either end up on rent or our bills. Our state at that time wasn't really good. I just gave birth and we were running short  on money. It was early afternoon then, my husband was left at home since I had to go to the center for a post-natal check up. Suddenly, when I came home.. She was there. She was held by my husband. Eunyoung.. And there was a bag on the dining table. It had money. A lot of money. We decided to use the money to buy a decent house and things for our child, Eunjeon. We knew it was wrong. The only thing he said to me was that a car just passed by, stopped him along the road and handed out the baby. He didn't dare to ask why. The car sped off once they handed Eunyoung. I had suspicions that Eunyoung could be connected to you since she was given to my husband, on the day you mentioned you lost your daughter."

"Then, may I ask, why did you have a bruise on you yesterday when you came here?"

"He saw you two coming out of the house. He doesn't like having people over. He gets nervous and paranoid over everything believing that people would be suspicious and would have knowledge of our secret. He.. he would hit me at times. The girls would hear it at times, that is why they are rather aloof to their father."

Amber then took the bold decision to offer Mrs. Kim to reside with them for the time being.

"Why don't you stay here for a while? We have a lot of rooms. We can provide you witness protection if you wish.."

"Amber?!" Key called on.

"What Key? She told us what we wanted to know. It's not like she knows we are the parents of Eunyoung."

"But then again!"

"Key! Please.."

"Fine. Do what  you want. I'll call Taemin. We need to track the location of Eunyoung. She might look okay, but I have a bad feeling whoever is behind this is definitely up to no good."

"Okay.."

-----------------------------------

Amber skipped work that day without informing Mrs. Han. She knows she'll be scolded once she shows up to work the following day. But hell, now that she knows who her daughter is, she can give up her career just to be with her family. Key was no problem. The papers had been taken care of. Minho is the OIC and Woori was able to pick up the papers.

Speaking of Woori, ever since the incident they had. Woori's presence has irked Amber. Amber is confident in Key's loyalty to her, it was no question anymore but jealousy would still arise. She's not at ease especially now that she's fully aware of Woori's feelings towards Key. She came to their house, no words were spoken between the two. Oddly, it was something Key didn't dare question. 

The day went on with Key asking Taemin and the police force for help. Amber, on the other hand, was busy asking Mrs. Kim about Eunyoung. From what food the kid likes to the interests of the child. Also, Mrs. Kim has long known that Eunyoung was aware that she and Eunjeon aren't twins, far from how they were raised to be. Mrs. Kim also mentioned that Eunjeon saw Eunyoung taken away by a car. That is why she had been crying non-stop."

"Amber.."

"Yes, Mrs. Kim?"

"I---I need to go back home."

"Huh? Why? Didn't we agree that you can stay here?"

"But, my family. My husband would definitely be looking for me. Also, Eunjeon is still with him, I can't leave her behind."

Mrs. Kim has a point. She would be doing the same for Eunyoung if ever she was placed in that situation.

"I understand but I'll send you off tomorrow. I'll be going with you tomorrow."

Surprisingly, rain poured that night. Mrs. Kim fell asleep early. Amber and Key were at the dining table, sharing a bottle of brandy.

"Who would've thought you actually drink." Key teased.

"I don't live under a rock, Key.. Of course I'd know how to drink. I mean, really?"

"Hey.."

"Yeah?"

"Remember how we'd squabble in front of the dining table when we started out? How we'd tease each other and piss each other off until one blows."

"And how I would always save up food for you since you don't like to eat after work. I think that was the time I was subconsciously falling in love with you. I'd always say to myself and even to Jackie that I would never fall for a guy like you. No, wait. Let me correct that, it's the guy you were.. You were conceited, manipulative, angry and just despicable..  But when you dropped your arms, and let me in. It all changed."

"I still can't believe we met again." Key added. "I mean, who would've thought we would be together this far. People had their doubts when we started. When we parted, and I left to Europe to find myself, I was scared that I wouldn't see you again, no matter how hard I'd look and find you." Amber then held Key's hand and had started to tear up.

"Did I ever tell you, that I still kill myself over the fact that I.."

"Shhh.. No need to go back to that Amber. It's over. We're here, aren't we? Just a little more, we would find our daughter. I'll do whatever it takes. And if my mother is also with Eunyoung, we'll save them. Both of us, we'll welcome the two of them and finally live as a happy family."

"Okay.. Yes. We should do that.. I love you, Kibum."

"I... Arghh.."

"Key?"

"No, just a headache... I.. I love you too, Amber. Come on, let's go to sleep. We still have a long day ahead."

And they went to bed, feeling a little hopeful.

----------------------------------

Amber called Mrs. Han and said that she was sick to time in for work. It was a lie but she was to go with Mrs. Kim that day. The woman decided to stay with her family. Amber told her that they'll have police secretly watch over them without the risk of Mr. Kim suspecting anything. It was the best offer Amber can provide. 

---------------

Key was left at home, doing some paper work Minho brought in early that morning. They were not a lot but still Key would wish he can do something else, preferrably be with the police that is helping them and monitor the progress of the search on Chunyi and Eunyoung. Key dared to defy Amber's request to have no one follow them as she dropped Mrs. Kim off. Key couldn't risk having Amber taken as well. It would just drive him mad. Their landline soon rang..

------------------------

"Please, Mrs. Kim.. Don't hesitate to ask me or Key for help. Key may seem a little harsh but.. It's just that, we have some concerns lately and it's just that he's worried on his mother and Eunyoung's whereabouts. But he's a really good man, I assure you."

"No need to apologize on Key's actions. I understand perfectly. Any person that was subjected to the same stress he is under in would act the same way."

"Thank you. Take care. Just, call me if you need anything."

---------------

"Hello?" Key answered.

"H-hhe-hello?" A trembling voice was heard on the other end of the line.

"Hello? May I know who is this?"

A faint but incomprehensible voice was heard on the background. The trembling on the phone intensified.

"P--please.."

"Hello?"

---------------------------

She turned around, ignorant of the feeling that someone was there. She turned around, taking a step forward towards home. She turned around, with a smile. She turned around, feeling optimistic. She turned around, certain that they'll find her. She turned around...

Like how it was the first time around, all it took was three seconds. The man disguised in a high school uniform was just three seconds late. All it took was three seconds..Three mere seconds, that's all they need.

----------------------------------------

"Help me.. please.." The voice called on.

"I'm sorry. But.."

"Kk--kibummie.."

**beep**

"Eomma?! Eomma????"

The phone was busied. Key tried calling back but it appears to be another disposable phone. It can no longer be called back. Key slammed the phone down. How can he not recognize the voice of his own mother? He threw the things off of the side table out of frustration. Frustration and a headache definitely don't mash together. Little did he notice that his phone was there. He didn't even bother to look at his phone. A message, a very short message with the pop-up adequate to convey the message it held. .

.............................................................................

..................................................................

....................................................

11:28am
--------

"And then there were three.."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best estimate, at most to chapter 44/45. I'm more than certain this won't be reaching 50 chapters. Doing that is just stretching the fic too much and I wouldn't want to do that. >< Anyways, just a tip. Try to notice one thing that is happening, not really going to specify on who but whatever that thing which is happening to that someone (a lil' confusing? Sorry ><) would be significant on the last two chapters. :) Just a little something something you guys can analyze and ponder on. 
Thank you for reading this far. Hihi.. Stay tuned! ^^