Chapter 5- Choice

Superiority Complex

She was walking slowly back home with a blank stare on her face. It was one of the weirdest, most shocking and craziest things she has heard in her life; in fact it may be on top of the list. It was too much for her to handle, too much for her to take in such a short period of time. She thought that Key was crazy for expecting she could give an answer right then and there. Was he actually in the right mind? Amber found it extremely confusing that one moment they were teasing the hell out of each other and the next there he goes asking her to pretend to be not only as his girlfriend, but as his wife..

"Are you kidding me?! Wife? ARGGHH." She shouted out on the street as she made her way back home.  People around her stared at her which made her feel a little embarassed. She walked on still confused on the thought whether should she accept it or not.

------------

"I'm home."

Jackie opened the door for her only welcoming Amber with a flick on the nose..

"Oww! What was that for?" Amber said as she caressed her already reddened nose.

"You looked so dazed.. Hurry and clean yourself up and eat with us.."

Amber removed her shoes, dropped her bag by the living room and went on to her room to prepare some clothes before she takes her bath. They'd been living in their current house for almost the last six years. To be honest, Amber isn't a native in Korea.. She and her family only migrated there around eight years ago when she was 12 years old. She hated the fact that they had to migrate. The first few years of her stay in Korea were painful and frustrating. She had a hard time learning Korean so she was most of the time bullied back then. She had to pull through though and manage to finish education early.

The house they were staying at wasn't the largest and biggest house you would think ideal for a family of their size. But it was all they can afford. It also wasn't at top condition but they can manage. At least the water and electric system were working just fine.

"Hey, Amber are you done yet?!" Jackie shouted which brought out Amber ouf her deep thought.

"Not yet!"

Amber hurriedly finished her bath in five minutes tops. The food was already prepared when she went to the dining area. Jackie prepared mashed potatoes and chicken with mushroom gravy.

"Well, isn't this very American?"

"I kind of missed eating it. So, I went over to the convenience store across the street and bought some. The mashed potato is the one in packs, not necessarily the real thing but close enough.."

"Who cares.. Let's dig in!"

Jackie served up portions and they ate.. The two of them taking turns in feeding their father.

"I'm really proud of you.." Their father mustered which only made Jackie verge on tears..

"Stop it dad.. Come on." Jackie brought the wheelchair to the living room where their father slept. 

Amber only stared at the two of them while she unconsciously stopped indulging her food. Jackie noticed it and again remarked on what was going on.

"There you go at it again.. Thinking. What's up Amber?"

"Oh? Nothing.. I just remembered something..'

"By the way, how's work? You seem to be at ease? Are you enjoying?"

"I'm.. I'm well. I've already made some friends with the regulars so going through a day is easy.."

"Just don't stress yourself too much, okay?"

"I won't.."

-------------------

The offer still bugged Amber before she went to sleep. She barely had an ounce of sleep in her body when she went to work the following day. She seemed so out of it that Woori and the others noticed what was going on. 

"Amber? Hey, Amber?"

"Huh? Yeah?"

"You okay eonni? You were also out of it the other day? Were you able to sleep?"

"Me? Not really.I ughh.. I tried making a draft for the wall on the design I'm going to put up today. I felt so unartistic so it took me some time to come up with something. I barely noticed it was already 3:30."

The three girls only nodded on the whole situation not knowing what to say.

The three of them were peacefully eating when Hyorin opened up a topic.

"When do you guys planned to get married?"

Upon hearing the word "married", Amber choked on what she was chewing and coughed which made Woori ask if she was okay.. She only gave a thumbs up telling them she's fine.

"So, going back.. You Sulli? I know you're the youngest but I bet you already have an idea?" Hyorin asked.

"Me? Well.. Ever since I was young I've always wanted a garden wedding. My dress will be embroided with flowers like roses and tulips.. Maybe when in five years from now?"

"Really? That's really girly and young.." Woori added.

"You, Hyorin? Since you opened it up, when do you intend to get married?"

"I've set a limit to myself that by 27 years old, I should be married and perhaps already starting family. I'm not after anything fancy.. I just want to have a family of my own. Just thinking about it excites me.."

The three of them giggled while Amber only listened. She was finishing her meal when the three of them started staring at her..

"What? Me?"

All three of them nodded..

"I don't know.. Marriage isn't in my head right now. I'm still busy working and saving up. I've got a lot of other things to think about before marriage.."

"Aww. Come on, eonni.. You aren't any fun!" 

"Really Ssul..I'm serious.."

The three girls teased Amber that she was no fun and there is no chance she can find a man anytime soon. Amber didn't mind.. Marriage wasn't her priority whatsover. 

----------------

She was back on top of the scaffolding trying to finally finish the top portion and start on the next one. She lied when she said she made a draft. She did nothing close to a draft. She was up the whole night thinking about the decision on whether she should accept Key's proposal or not..

She was holding her brush and palette when she sighed. She put them down and she went of the scaffolding and went to the elevator. She was headed for the 56th floor. She's decided and she's decided to stick with it.

Amber knocked on the door and went it without waiting for a signal. She didn't see anyone at the table so she made herself comfortable at the sofa only to be surprised that Key came out of his comfort room.

"What are you doing here? Are you finally going to accept my proposal?"

"About that.."

Key was waiting for an answer when Amber stood and bowed.

"I'm sorry.. I have to decline your offer. Please look for another girl perhaps in the company to accept it. Your offer is really blinding and tempting but I just can't.. I don't think I can do it."

Key sat on his table and faced Amber..

"You do know that you're letting go of the opportunity to finally cure  your father don't you?"

Amber nodded..

Key went on to his chair.. "Fine.. Suit yourself. Don't tell on anyone about what I offered you. I'll just find another girl. Go on.Get back to work.."

Again, Amber bowed and left. She walked out of the door and was kind of surprised that instead a feeling of relief, disappointment filled her. Key was right.. She can finally fend for her father's medical needs if ever she accepted but she can't bear the thought of being in debted to someone. It was kind of selfish but her pride just can't allow it.

----------------

She did as she was told. She went back to work.. Surprisingly she was able to add something to the already seemingly dull looking abstract of hers.. To be honest, she doesn't like on what it was turning into but she was hoping maybe after a few days, she can fix it to make it look better and livelier. It was almost 3:00pm when she decided to call it a day and start packing her things up. She sighed wishing it would be better tomorrow.

She was bound to leave when her cellphone ringed. She reached it into her pocket and answered without really checking on who it was.

"Yeobosaeyo? Ohh.. Hey there Jackie. Why? Wait, could you slow down.. What? What??!!! Stay there.. I'll be right over.."

She put it down and went to look for Woori.. The girl was at the front desk and she hurriedly grabbed the girl to talk to her in private..

"Could you look after my stuff? I'll get them at the end of the day.. Please?"

"Wait, why? Where are you?"

"I need to go.. Please? I'm really sorry. I owe you Woori.."

Woori had no chance to ask what was going on. Amber left in a second she left her things only bringing her cellphone and wallet with her. She called on a cab and went off.

"Where is she off to?" Woori mumbled.

---------------

Amber went off the cab and hurriedly looked for Jackie. She asked one of the bystanders where the place could be and pointed to a certain direction. She ran on and panted as she stopped when she found her sister. Jackie saw her and ran to Amber..

"Amber.. I'm sorry! I didn't know what I was going to do. It all happened so suddenly and I was shocked.. Amber! Dad.. I'm sorry.." Jackie cried on and on in Amber's arms. She could only calm her sister down by telling her to stop crying. Jackie continued to hold in her sobs when she has finally calmed down. They were at the Emergency Room. Their father was rushed to the hospital when apparently he had another attack and heart attack at the same time. It's been his third or fourth time which makes his condition very critical.  He didn't undergo any surgery but he had to be put into the ICU to control the attack.

After almost two hours of waiting, the doctor went out. Jackie was about to approach him but Amber opted to talk to the doctor. Jackie was in no condition to talk to the doctor..

"Doc?"

"Are you his daughter?" 
Amber nodded.

"It's not looking too good for your father.. We have managed to stabilize his heart rate but he's still in a critical condition. In his case, he has suffered an attack before. With , the more the attack occurs in the future, the more threatening it becomes.. If he arrived perhaps three to five minutes late he wouldn't have made it. Though, may I ask does he get to take his prescription everyday?"

Amber bowed her head feeling a little sense of guilt.. "His prescription is a little expensive so I don't get the chance to buy him his supply everyday.. He skips but not too far in between.. Perhaps just a day or two."

"I understand but a day can make a difference. I'll be issuing a stronger prescription to prevent another attack in the future.. I'll be back in an hour to update you about his condition."

Amber bowed and thanked the doctor. She sat beside Jackie who was somewhat in a state of shock. She wasn't talking whatsover.

"I'll be at the comfort room.."

---------------

Amber splashed water on her face and looked herself in the mirror. She wanted to cry. She wanted to shout and punch the wall. Things are becoming too much for her.She is extremely worried for her father. His admission at the ICU and a new set of prescriptions are also making the situation a lot more stressful. She feels guilty at the fact that her father is in there. If only she can buy him medicine everyday they wouldn't be stuck at the hospital like they were then. Again, she looked herself in the mirror and wiped her face.

She soon headed for the exit. She walked past her sister who only asked where she was going.

"I'll be back. Talk to the doctor if ever he comes.."

She called on a cab and went off.

---------------

It was past 6:00pm and Woori was getting impatient in waiting for Amber. She did promise to wait for Amber and look after the girl's things. She was getting sleepy when a girl sped though the door.

"Amber?"

"Thanks Woori.. You can leave my things at the guard. I owe you big time.."

She ran off once again as she headed for the elevator.

She tapped the button continuously as if she was in a hurry.. She needs to make it before it was too late.
She went off as soon as she arrived. She quickened her pace and entered without knocking. It was a sigh of relief to find he was still there.

He was at his chair staring at her as if anticipating for something.

She heaved in her breath, gulped in a lot of courage.. And closed her eyes..

"I take it back.. I'll sign it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifth chapter ^^ I'm actually happy I get to update this fic as much as I can before school starts.. June has come and another school year is bound to open up again here in our country.. :(( I'm taking the chance to update this as frequent before it starts to slow down. >_< 
I'd like to say thank you to everyone and stay tuned!