Surprise Birthday

FOREVERMORE | AD INFINITUM [Drabble & One Shot Collection]

 

Amber parked herself in her room waiting for the clock to strike midnight, which would mark the day she turned twenty. She would be twenty according to the Western age, twenty-one according to the Lunar Calendar of Korea.

Her eyes focused on her iPhone she watched the messages poured in from all her fans, through her various social network accounts. She couldn’t help but smiled as she read the various messages she received. She felt elated, full of joy, knowing that she is loved by so many around the world.

Her phone rang; it was her parents calling to wish her a happy birthday. Her father had returned to California to visit her mother, which is the reason why she is home alone. Their conversation lasted for almost thirty minutes before Amber reluctantly hang up the phone. With all her friends calling to wished a happy birthday and sang to her, Amber didn't felt lonely tonight. However, a small part of her was telling her that she is missing something or someone.

There was one person that hasn’t called her. She shrugged it off, thinking that that person probably fallen asleep already at this time of night. Amber has an odd sleeping habit, even for idols. With all the excitement that’s coursing through her at the moment she wouldn’t be goinmg to bed for awhile.

She was happily listening to Henry and her boys singing to her when she heard the knock on her. She was surprised to hear a knock at the door at this time of night. Who could it be? She wondered. Her members are in their respective home sleeping. They had called early to wish her a happy birthday, therefore it couldn’t have been them. Slowly she stood up from her bed and made her way to the front door.

She pressed the button on her video intercom. Instead of seeing a face of a person, she saw a small round white cake with red strawberries decorating the perimeter of the cake. Happy Birthday to my lovely Amber was written in the middle. Two candles were stuck in the top-middle of cake. The candles said, 21.

“Who is it?” Amber asked curiously. None of her fans knew where she lived with her dad. That was the only reason why she wasn’t panicking. Only people that are close to her and her management knew where her apartment is.

Silence ensued and Amber’s curiosity peaked. She wanted to open the door, but just in case it was some crazy stalker that might have followed her home, even with all the security she decided against it.

She began to ask the same question again when she heard a voice – the voice – singing Happy Birthday to her. Her heart started to beat so fast that it almost drowned out the melodious voice. With a hug grinned she unlocked her door and opened it to reveal the person holding the cake signing to her with his melodious voice a huge mischievous smile on his face. 

The owner of the voice must have taken it as a sign to enter. He was still singing the last part of the song in Korean, since he started singing in English and then transitioned to the Korean version of the song. Amber turned around and used her back to close the door behind her. Tilting her head to the side she wondered how he got into the building, but that thought quickly evaporated from her mind when he finished.

With a bright smile he extended the cake in his hands toward her, “Make a wish and blow out the candles.”

Amber closed her eyes made a wish and blew out the candles. She reopened her eyes and he titled his head toward the kitchen table, indicating for her to follow him to the table. She followed him and she felt herself blushed. Instinctively she put her hands up to cover her face. The action didn’t go unnoticed by him and she heard a soft chuckled from his direction. She looked up and pouted, “You’re not supposes to laugh at the birthday girl, Myung.”

He shook his head and reached over to pinch her gently in the cheek, “I’m not laughing at you, Ber. I can’t help it you’re just too adorable when you’re shy.” She gently pushed his hand away and continued to pout.

Myung Soo made his way toward her. Amber was too focus on trying to maintain a normal heart beat that she didn’t noticed that he had swiped the cream on the cake with his finger. When she realized his plan he already wiped the cream on her cheek where he had just pinched, “Yah!”

He chuckled lightly and before Amber could wiped the cream from her cheek he lean in and kissed her on the cheek. Then he proceeded to the cream of, “Happy Birthday my llama.” He whispered in her ear, as he pulled her into an embrace. How could Amber be mad with this man? How can she ever be mad with Kim Myung Soo? This will go down as one of the best birthday for Amber Josephine Liu.