MIDNIGHT DANCE

FOREVERMORE | AD INFINITUM [Drabble & One Shot Collection]

 

Amber sat with her back against the mirrored wall of the practice room, knees pulled up to her chest, she hugged it with her arms as she watched, fascinated by the fluidity of his movements. He moved with a grace like fluidity when the beat of the music was slow and change to powerful, hard hitting when the beat picked up the pace.

There was an air of perfection that he emitted when he danced, when he moved to the beat of the music.

She felt a slight sense of jealously as she watched him. She wanted to be able to move like him. Sure, she could dance, she trained and practiced just as hard as anyone here, but he, Kim Jong In was born with that talent installed into him. Amber believed that the younger man could dance before he could walk.

A bunched of them, EXO-K, EXO-M, and f(x) had been practicing for one of the year end show. They were having a collaborated stage. The practice went smoothly for others today, but for some odd reason Amber couldn’t get the one part correct. So here she was with Jong In – he volunteered himself, while the rest, including Jae Woon, their dance instructor, went to get dinner – watching him go over the dance moves again for her.

His back was to her as she mirrored his moves in her brain before she attempted to mirror it physically. He stopped when he reached the part where the EXO’s members would have to partner up with her group’s members, including Amber herself. It wasn’t anything y, being that Amber was being partnered up to, the company would never break that image that they had partly created, but Amber doesn’t mind, because that was who she was, being a tomboy was the essence of her life.

He looked at her through the mirrored wall that was on the other side of the room, the side that he had been facing, and smiled mischievously at her. “Jong In?” she asked, sensing that the he had come up with something that she wouldn’t be able to denied, because she can never say no to him, and regret it later.

He moved fluidly, even when not dancing, spun around on his heels and stalked toward Amber. He closed the gap between them, which wasn’t much, with his long stride. He extended his hand to her. Hesitantly she took it. That little mischievous smile that played on his face earlier had gotten brighter as he pulled Amber to her feet.

Without a word he pulled Amber to the middle of the dance floor. He grabbed the remote control for the stereo, clicked it and a new song came on. Amber knew what the song was right away. Amber had been obsessed with this dance, mimicking it with Se Hun, Tae Min and Lu Han, Only One by the amazing sister that she looked up to, BoA.

Amber opened to ask what he was doing, but before the words could escape her lips, he placed his forefingers to her lips. He moved with lithe, entwining his fingers and hers, on the part when their hands met. Amber felt like millions of butterflies were fluttering inside her stomach, the heat rising to her face at the close proximity of the younger man. She never felt this way before. There was a sense of unease, like she – they – had stepped into a place where they will never be able to returned, but she also felt elated.

Time had stopped and in that vacuumed space there was just Amber and Jong In.

She glimpsed into his eyes and saw something there that made her stomach twisted with joy and fear and the same time.

An unknown future started with this one dance and the gate of emotion had been opened. A secret that must be kept.