My Love for Her, and Another Love Blooms

Mr & Mrs Kwon Ji-Yong: Vita Dolce Moderato

Seoul, 10 July 2038

 

From outside the door, I can hear how busy everyone inside the room is. I knock lightly and soon enough, it opens, revealing Choi Hyun-Ae; my daughter’s best friend.

 

“Oh, jageun abeoji! You’re here already!” Grinning, she turns around and shouts, “yah! Ga-Young ah, your dad’s here. Young-Mi ya, hurry up and let’s go!” The girl is like a replica of her father, who happens to be one of my best friends; even their voice sound similar.

“It’s ok Hyun-Ae ya, I can wait out here for a bit if you girls aren’t ready yet,” I tell her, ensuring that they can take their time.

“Aniyo, jageun abeoji! We’re all set. The stylist has just finished putting on Ga-Young’s veil. We’ll wait for you outside,” Young-Mi, the other best friend quickly answers me and drags Hyun-Ae out the door.

 

I step inside the room and the few people left in there immediately shuffle around and make their way out as well. I look at the young woman who is standing in front of a large mirror taking a final glance at herself. She takes the white lily bouquet on the vanity and turns to face me.

“Appa…” her voice trails. She smiles heartily and I can see her eyes glistening through the veil.

“Princess, you look absolutely beautiful,” I walk closer to her and pat her shoulders.

“Thank you, appa. You look handsome, too!” I chuckle at her reply.

 

I can’t believe my baby daughter is getting married today. That little jerk, Kim Jae-Sung. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the guy. He and my daughter make an adorable couple. But still, my baby is only 21 years old. That’s kidnapping, right?

 

Thank goodness he’s a successful young lawyer. Otherwise, I’m not going to let him marry my daughter. I’m not materialistic, but you see, I want someone who can take care of my little Ga-Young’s needs. All of them. I’ll let you in on a little secret, our Ga-Young is just… a little spoiled. She’s no brat. She’s gentle, kindhearted, and generous. But boy, she really knows how to shop. Blame it on her mother’s influence and her father’s passion for doing anything, or paying any amount for that matter, to make his queen and princess happy.

 

“Appa, are you ok?” She gently taps on my shoulder, “you were dazing off, daddy. Is everything ok?”

“Huh? Yeah, of course, princess. Are you ready?” I ask her. She nods excitedly and I stretch out my arm, making room for her hand, “shall we?”

 

We make our way to the front door of the old building, with Hyun-Ae and Young-Mi in front of us. The weather today is so nice and bright, adding a lovely touch to this eventful day. By the time we reach the door, I hear Ga-Young’s sharp intake of breath. I turn my head and look at her questioningly.

 

“Daddy, I’m so nervous. What if I slip? And my dress is too long, isn’t it? What if the train gets stuck? Oh! What if I suddenly forget my vow? What if I get too nervous and drop the ring? I want this day to be perfect! Omo! Appa, eotteokhaji?” she blurts out in panic.

I clasp her hand, “Ga-Young ah, take a deep breath. It’s going to be alright. Trust me. One step at a time, ok? Just hold my arm tight, princess, appa won’t let you slip.”

 

After hearing my words, she breathes a sigh of relief. She tightens her hold on my arm and says, “thank you, appa.” I nod my head and smile.

“And appa…” she adds while looking deep into my eyes.

“Yes, princess?”

“No matter what happens, I’ll always be your little princess. I love you, daddy,” and with that, a single tear rolls down my cheek.

 

Hyun-Ae and Young-Mi turn their heads and grin, “this is it, Ga-Young. Ready?”

She replies the question with a confident nod, and the girls ask the two men from the wedding organizer company to open the door.

 

All the guests inside the church turn their heads as Hyun-Ae and Young-Mi walk towards the altar, with the elegant sound of Ave Maria played by the string quartet fills the air. As soon as the two girls reach the end, Mendelssohn's Wedding March starts to play and everyone stands up at once.

 

I slowly lead my beautiful daughter down the aisle. I can hear the ‘aww’ being cooed all around. I slightly tilt my head up as I feel great pride rushing upon me. I see my soon-to-be son-in-law standing at the altar, looking at my daughter with eyes full of love and admiration.

 

“You’re doing very well, princess. At our ceremony, your mum burst into tears after only first few steps,” I whisper into her ear and she giggles sweetly.

 

I see the most beautiful woman in the world standing in the front row. Son Ga-In. My wife. The love of my life. The only one my heart beats for. I can see tears sliding down her cheeks. I know they are tears of joy, and yet I feel the urge to hold her in my arms and kiss away her tears. Our son Kwon Dae-Hyun catches the look on his mother’s face and pulls her in his embrace. Attaboy.

 

We walk up the altar and I bow at the priest respectfully. The same priest who officiated my wedding 23 years ago. The man looks a lot older now, but the fatherly aura radiated through is eyes is still the same.

“Who gives this woman to be married to this man?” the question flows out of his mouth as he looks at me. This is it. The last time I’m holding my little girl’s hand as a single woman.

“My wife and I do,” I answer in certain. He smiles and nods his head.

 

I turn to my soon-to-be son-in-law before leaving my daughter at the altar. I whisper to him in my most intimidating tone, “take a good care of my daughter, young man. If you do anything to hurt her, I won’t hesitate to make your life a living hell.” The boy instantly bows and lets out a nervous smile. I hear snickers coming from the guests in the front rows. I chuckle. So much for whispering.

 

I feel tears threatening to fall again as I’m walking to my seat. As soon as I arrive at my wife’s side, I put my hand in hers. She looks at me caringly and smiles. That smile, the killer eye-smile I fell in love with years ago. Even now, her smile can still send me to the moon and back. I rub and squeeze her hand gently as we stare into each other’s eyes.

 

“Dear family and friends, we’re gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Kim Jae-Sung and Kwon Ga-Young…”

 

I feel this overwhelming feeling creep up inside me. Is this how it feels to marry your daughter off for the first time? Well, she’s my only daughter so this will be the only time I get to do it. I feel happy and proud, yet sad and worried at the same time. I’m delighted that my little girl has finally found her love and at the same time anxious about how Jae-Sung will take care of my daughter. He’s 25, alright, but can he really do it?

 

What if he makes her unhappy? What if he makes my little girl cry? What if he messes up? Oh, Lord. Hell, no! If that ever happens, God forbid, I will make the little punk dig his own grave before I kill him. If he hurts her, even once, I swear I’m buying a gun.

 

I tilt my head down as my little girl and her soon-to-be husband exchange their vows. They wrote their own vows, just like my wife and I did. A lone tear escapes my eye and I wipe it swiftly. Gosh, how much tears have I actually produced today?

 

My wife suddenly puts her hand at the back of my neck and pulls her face closer to mine.

“Yeobo, remember when we were standing up there 23 years ago? I still remember your vow, but I’ll bet you don’t remember mine,” she whispers playfully. Baby girl, are you kidding me? Of course I do. I remember everything vividly. I turn my head and look at her lovingly while throwing my most sincere smile at her. I wrap my hand around her waist, kiss her temple and softly say, “I remember every single word, baby. Forever and always.” I wink at her in impish glee.

 

After a short while, I catch another glimpse at the queen of my heart next to me. She looks like she’s in deep thought. I trace her face with my eyes. She must be reminiscing. My mind flies back to the time I held her hands at the altar, much like Jae-Sung and Ga-Young right now. Man, I remember how ecstatic I was that day. After all the things Ga-In and I had been through, on that faithful day, I was finally able to officially make her mine and mine only. 

 

Our relationship was full of hurdles. It was hard for me, so hard that I’ll admit, the idea of giving up occurred in my head a few times. Even so, since back then I knew that Ga-In was the one and if I gave up, it would be like betraying myself. It was hard for her, too. Maybe even harder. And the thought of her giving up on our relationship and me was the very reason I kept holding on to her love.

 

She means the world to me and I could never live without her. Our love has conquered it all, and I believe that whatever trouble comes in our way in the future, our love will always win.

 

“Kim Jae-Sung and Kwon Ga-Young, you have showered our hearts with expressions of your love, and promised each other the joy of all your days. Remember the promises you have made today, carry them close in your heart, but most of all, live them each and every day,” the priest utters, pulling me out of my reverie.

 

“The rings you have exchanged today and this holy union ceremony demonstrate your love for and commitment to each other.” As the priest continues to speak, I see tears of joy trickling down Ga-In’s cheeks. I tighten my gentle grip on her shoulder.  

 

Being a rascal he is, Kwon Dae-Hyun smirks and scoots closer to her side.

“Aigoo, umma. Appa is right. You really are a little fountain of tears,” he murmurs and slips a handkerchief into her left hand.

“I’m just so happy for your noona,” she replies while our son her left hand.

 

“Therefore, with the blessings of family and friends present, under the authority vested in me, and in the name of the Holy Spirit, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride,” the priest concludes his blessing.

 

Congratulations, Ga-Youngie…

 

 

 

 

 

___________

Author's Note:

작은아버지 /jag.eun.a.beo.ji/ - uncle (your father’s younger brother)