My Love for Him, and Another Love Blooms

Mr & Mrs Kwon Ji-Yong: Vita Dolce Moderato

Seoul, 10 July 2038

 

One month into the summer, the weather is especially fine. What a bright Saturday. The sun is shining and the sky is clear. I can still hear the sound of birds chirping despite all the noisy chatter around me and the fact that it’s already 10 in the morning.

 

I’m so happy today. No, I’m overjoyed. You know how some people have their ‘Top 10 Best Days of My Life’? Well, today is definitely in my top 10. My mind and soul are wrapped in contentment as I sit myself down.

 

Ding. Dong. The bell begins to toll. After a few moments, the murmurings start to quiet down and the tall wooden double door is now open. The soothing sound of Ave Maria fills the air as I see two childhood friends who have transformed into pretty young women walk in. Everyone in attendance stands up when they hear the string quartet begins to play the classic Mendelssohn's Wedding March.

 

This is it.

 

In comes the most beautiful girl in the world. Dressed in a long white dress, looking like an angel she truly is. Walking gracefully down the aisle of Yakhyeon Catholic Church while tightly holding the arms of the man next to her.

 

Standing strongly and proudly beside her is the most handsome man in the world. I can see him beaming with happiness as he takes each step towards the altar.

 

Suddenly I feel tears slid down my cheeks. The pretty boy standing next to me silently swings his arm over and holds me. No single word is being said, but I can sense his assurance and respect.

 

Reaching the altar, the handsome man kisses the girl’s cheek.

“Who gives this woman to be married to this man?” the priest asks.

“My wife and I do,” the man answers.

He turns to the soon-to-be husband and whispers, “take a good care of my daughter, young man. If you do anything to hurt her, I won’t hesitate to make your life a living hell.” The one at the receiving end of those sharp words immediately bows and smiles nervously. Snickers can be heard from people sitting behind me. I chuckle. So much for whispering.

 

The man walks back and stands on my right. His eyes are shining, tears threatening to fall. He quietly slips his hand into mine. I turn my eyes on him. He’s gazing at the altar with an amusing look on his face, like a boy who just lost his most treasured toy. Noticing my smile, he tenderly rubs my hand. He smiles back at me; his hand squeezes mine gently as we stare into each other’s eyes.

 

“Dear family and friends, we’re gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Kim Jae-Sung and Kwon Ga-Young…”

 

As the priest continues his speech, warmth creeps upon my body. Kwon Ga-Young, our 21 year-old daughter, is getting married to her childhood sweetheart. Our princess has finally found her knight in shining armour.  

 

When the couple exchanges the vows, I catch the glimpse of the man sitting on my right slightly bows his head down and wipe a lone tear that escapes his eye. I put my hand at the back of his neck and push my face closer to his.

 

“Yeobo, remember when we were standing up there 23 years ago? I still remember your vow, but I’ll bet you don’t remember mine,” I whisper playfully.

 

He turns his head and looks at me with his deep, affectionate gaze and flashes his signature smile. Then he wraps his hand around my waist, kisses my temple and softly says, “I remember every single word, baby. Forever and always.” God. His sweet voice sends chill down my spine. I look up and find him wink at me.

 

Kwon Ji-Yong. My husband. The love of my life.

 

The man turned my life upside down. I still remember all the laughs and tears throughout our relationship. The obstacles we had to go through just to get married. It wasn’t easy for people like him and me, who used to bear the ‘idol’ titles. There were times when I wanted to give up, and I’m sure he had those moments, too.

 

But here we are, more than two decades later and going stronger than ever. I’m still crazy about him after all these years. No matter how hard it gets, I know our love is going to conquer it.

 

Over the years, I’ve learnt a lot about love; and I’m still learning. I can’t explain what love is. It’s too complicated. This may sound cheesy, but to me Kwon Ji-Yong is the definition of love. And I hope from now on my daughter will find her own interpretation like I’ve found mine.

 

“Kim Jae-Sung and Kwon Ga-Young, you have showered our hearts with expressions of your love, and promised each other the joy of all your days. Remember the promises you have made today, carry them close in your heart, but most of all, live them each and every day,” the priest utters, awaking me from my daydreaming.

 

“The rings you have exchanged today and this holy union ceremony demonstrate your love for and commitment to each other.” As the priest continues to speak, the tears of joy trickle down my cheeks and Ji-Yong tightens his gentle grip on my shoulder.

 

Kwon Dae-Hyun, the pretty boy, smirks and scoots closer to me.

“Aigoo, umma. Appa is right. You really are a little fountain of tears,” he murmurs and slips a handkerchief into my left hand.

“I’m just so happy for your noona,” I reply while he’s my left hand.

 

“Therefore, with the blessings of family and friends present, under the authority vested in me, and in the name of the Holy Spirit, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride,” the priest concludes his blessing.

 

Congratulations, Ga-Youngie…