Day by Day

Mr & Mrs Kwon Ji-Yong: Vita Dolce Moderato

Seoul, 13 September 2008

 

It has been almost a month since the day Ga-In noona and I confessed our feelings. It wasn't a love confession or anything, but since that day, our relationship has gotten a lot better. We're closer to each other and I'm enjoying this friendship very much. To be honest, I don't want to see this as just a friendship, but let's just leave it at that for now.

 

We've been constantly calling and texting each other, but we've only seen each other twice since that day. We went out for late-night drives around Seoul. I've been busy with the promotion of 'Stand Up', and she's also been swamped with the preparation of Brown Eyed Girls' comeback; which brings us to today. It's 4 p.m, and we're in our dressing room at MBC Studio. Today is their comeback stage on Music Core; they released their album 3 days ago, and Ga-In noona told me that she was very nervous for today's performance. My heart jumped with happiness when we arrived here earlier, because Big Bang's dressing room is right across Brown Eyed Girls'. I hope I can run into her...

 

I feel all jittery and can't keep a steady position on the couch. TOP and Taeyang are getting some touch-ups from the makeup artists. "Why do you look nervous? This is our 5th week performing here," TOP asks and sits next to me. "I'm not nervous," I reply nonchalantly. "Tch, yeah right. You're going to scuff your shoes on the floor very soon," he says while pointing at my feet. "Whatever," I get up and pace around the room. Seungri and Daesung aren't around, they're already in the backstage area because they've been appearing as regular MCs here for the past 3 months. Nam-Gook hyung comes in and through the door, I can see JeA ssi and Narsha ssi in the hallway rushing to their dressing room. Where the hell is Ga-In noona? I haven't seen her since I came here. I texted her on my way here 2 hours ago, but she didn't reply. She probably hasn't checked her phone yet. I sigh as Nam-Gook hyung shuts the door. 

 

"Dude, will you chill? You're going to see her later," Taeyang whispers to me. The night after my birthday, I decided to talk to Taeyang and told him about what had happened, starting from the beginning. He told me that he had known about it ever since he saw how I reacted when TOP said there were y pictures of Ga-In noona in the magazine he brought to Tokyo. This guy is really observant, isn't he? When we were talking, Taeyang asked me if we're dating now, but I told him that it's nothing like that yet. The only thing he said to me was to be careful and try not to hurt myself or Ga-In noona. TOP, Daesung, and Seungri never asked or said anything about this matter. I'm sure they've been dying to ask questions, especially Seungri, but maybe Taeyang had told them not to. It's better for me actually, because I'm not ready to give an explanation.

 

"You're up in 20 minutes," Nam-Gook hyung informs us. I sit down on the couch again and watch the TV. The screen displays what's happening on the stage. "Brown Eyed Girls are up next with their comeback song How Come! Don't change the channel!" Daesung exclaims while grinning at the camera. After a few minutes of infomercials, the live program continues and Brown Eyed Girls start performing. There she is! I squeal in my head as soon as Ga-In noona appears on the screen.

 

I didn't know it would be like this, I became tired waiting for you again today... Girls who cried rivers because of you, I didn't want to be one of them... Ga-In noona sings her part, sounding sweet as usual. She has a vintage bob hairstyle, different from the last time I saw her. It's probably styled like that to match the retro theme of the song. She's wearing a striped top with a pair of sequinned shorts. The shorts are too damn short, barely covering her lower thighs. And to make things worse, her legs are glistening! What the hell is this... I know stylists usually put a bit of ointment on a singer's skin to give a y vibe, but I never imagined I would see it on Ga-In noona's legs. I don't mean to think dirty, but I'm a man, too. And things like these are like kryptonite to a man.

 

I look at TOP and Taeyang, who are also focusing their attention at the TV with their mouths slightly agape. Yah! Don't look at Ga-In noona's legs! I scream inwardly. Gosh, I really want to turn the TV off right now, but I also want to watch her performance. I don't like this situation at all. I know I have no rights to criticize her outfits, but... argh! I pull my hair in annoyance. "Ji-Yong ssi, please don't ruin your hair," our stylist tells me with her hands on her waist. "Neh, noona. Sorry."

 

I can see the end of this game... Everyone tells me to stop when I mention you... But I can't help it, when I think of you I begin smiling... She flashes her signature smile as she ends her part. She looks so pretty and her dance moves are perfectly in sync with the music. Soon, their performance ends and the audience applauds. "The song is good," TOP says and Taeyang agrees. "And they all looked y," TOP adds, "especially my chingu." He emphasizes on the word 'chingu'; referring to Ga-In noona, who is the same age with him. Taeyang chuckles and nudges TOP's shoulder. TOP peers at me with a teasing look on his face, "am I right, Ji-Yong ah?" "Shut up, hyung," I scoff. The TV continues to show a few other performances, but I pay no attention to any of them.

 

"We're up next. Let's go," Taeyang says and we all head to the backstage area. I see Ga-In noona with Miryo ssi talking to a staff member. She spots me from where she's standing and smiles widely at me. I continue walking while smiling back at her. She holds her fist in the air and mouths 'fighting'. I suddenly feel a great force inside of me as I walk closer to the stage. I look back to where she was standing just now but she's no longer there. We'll be performing in a minute. I hope she's back in her dressing room and she can watch it on the TV. 

 

We perform out title song 'Day by Day'. With the thought of Ga-In noona watching our performance in my head, I give all my best for the performance. I want to make her proud. Will she be proud? I mean, she'll be proud if her friend does well, right? All I can think about throughout our performance is Ga-In noona. Day by Day is a sad song, and I imagine if Ga-In noona was the character in the story... I hope that will never come true. Even if no romance is developed through our friendship, I hope we will have the kind of relationship we're having now for a long time; whatever this relationship is. The crowd cheers as we finish performing, we bow to express our gratitude and appreciation, and then head back to our dressing room. 

 

Still wearing our stage outfits, we sit around, drink water and munch on some snacks. Suddenly, there's a light knocking on the door. "Oh, annyeonghaseyo, Yeo Kyung-Sun ssi!" our manager greets the woman who's standing at the door. Hmm... that name sounds familiar. The tomboy-looking woman bows and smiles, "annyeonghaseyo, Kim Nam-Gook ssi! Err... the girls want to say hi to Big Bang, if that's ok with you..." "Of course! Come on in," Nam-Gook hyung opens the door wider, revealing Brown Eyed Girls; all 4 of them. She's here! Yay, she's here! I abruptly get up and drop the bottle of water in my hand. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, we're Brown Eyed Girls" they bow slightly after coming inside. "N-Neh! Annyeonghaseyo... Big Bang's leader, Kwon Ji-Yong imnida," I give them a 90-degree bow. This is the first time I'm inside the same room with all of them, we've only bumped into each other in the hallways. Ga-In noona is still in her stage clothes, but she's wearing a coat to cover herself. "Annyeonghaseyo, TOP-imnida," TOP bows politely. "Annyeonghaseyo, cho-neun Taeyang-imnida. Uh... Daesung and Seungri aren't here," Taeyang also bows politely at the girls. My mind is blank right now. I'm overwhelmed with joy to see Ga-In noona standing in front of me, but at the same time anxious that her members may become suspicious if I can't act casual around her.

 

"Congratulations on your new mini album," I tell them after pulling myself together. "Kamsahamnida," they say in unison. "Actually, we're here to give you guys our CDs," JeA ssi, their leader, says as she hands me a stack of CDs. "We've signed them," Narsha ssi utters with a smile on her face. Ga-In noona and Miryo ssi are just standing and smiling without saying a word. I think Ga-In noona hasn't told any of her members that we've been pretty close to each other, that's why she's trying to look distant. I'm a little sad, though, because I miss her and I wish we could talk rather than just greet each other. I'm still sulking in my head when JeA ssi speaks again, "err... actually, we'd also like to get your autographs on these if you don't mind..." She's holding our 'Stand Up' CDs in her hands. "There are 3 of them, our maknae forgot to bring hers, she's clumsy like that," Narsha ssi says and chuckles, while Ga-In noona is looking downwards with her face slightly blushing. I laugh in my head, I know Ga-In noona probably didn't bring her CD because my signature is on it. 

 

"We're more than happy to do it," TOP takes the CDs and grabs a marker pen. Taeyang and I sign on the CD as well before we return them to Brown Eyed Girls. I grab my copy of 'Stand Up' from inside my backpack and sign it. I pass it to TOP and Taeyang, who also jot their signatures down. I scribble something on a small piece of paper and secretly slip it into the CD before handing it to Ga-In noona, "Ga-In ssi, this is for you. It's a shame you forgot to bring your CD today. This is my copy, it's already opened, but I hope you don't mind. Enjoy the songs, ok?" "E-Eh?" she blushes while staying still. "Ga-In ah, you're so lucky! You get another copy from Big Bang's leader! Your clumsiness finally paid off!" Narsha ssi laughs. Ga-In noona holds out both of her hands and I put the CD on them. "Neomu kamsahamnida, Kwon Ji-Yong ssi," she shyly says. 

 

"Well, I guess we'll go now. Thank you very much for the autographs. Big Bang fighting!" JeA ssi remarks. "You're welcome, thank you for the CDs! Good luck with your new album, I hope it'll be a big win," I tell them sincerely. After bowing at each other, I lead them to the door. "Annyeonghi-gaseyo," I tell them as they walk out. Ga-In noona is the last one of them, and when she passes by me, I whisper to her, "check your phone and don't open the CD in front of anyone." She gets shocked and jumps a bit, but keeps a straight face. She nods lightly and walk across the hallway into their dressing room. 

 

"It was a pleasant surprise, no?" TOP pokes my back. "Ga-In ssi, this is for you. This is my copy, it's already opened, but I hope you don't mind," he repeats my words in a mocking tone. I motion my hand as if I'm going to slap him, but he doesn't flinch and laughs instead. His face turns serious afterwards, "I know you don't want to tell us anything, but I wish you both well. She seems nice and sweet, and pretty, too. So, you got my approval." I smirk at him. Tch~ I got his approval?! As if I needed his approval... But deep down I'm relieved that TOP is being supportive without making me uncomfortable. 

 

I feel my phone vibrating inside my pocket. 

From: Ga-In noona

[Hey, sorry I didn't reply earlier, didn't see ur text. Thanks for the CD, Ji-Yong ah... Now I have 2! Kekeke~]

I chuckle inwardly at her message. 

To: Ga-In noona

[Have u looked inside the CD yet? Look now!]

Before she replies, I send her another one.

To: Ga-In noona

[Btw, I miss u... T.T]

 

Her reply comes after a few minutes.

From: Ga-In noona

[Kekeke~ ur note is so funny ^^ Gomawo...]

What, that's all? I feel a bit disappointed.

 

My phone vibrates again after a moment.

From: Ga-In noona

[Btw, I miss u too...]

I beam with happiness and excitement. She misses me, too! I reply right away.

To: Ga-In noona

[I'll call u tonight, k? Keep ur phone within reach so u can answer...]

 

Another message from her arrives. My eyes widen as I read it.

From: Ga-In noona

[Maybe I will, maybe I won't...]

Yah! This girl... Aish. Is she trying to torture me? Isn't it enough that she tortured me with her outfits earlier?!

To: Ga-In noona

[YAH!!! U must answer, or else...]

 

From: Ga-In noona

[Tsk tsk... how could u say 'yah' to a noona? Whatever! Meh-rong!]

Gosh! The war is on, noona! 

To: Ga-In noona

[U're gonna regret it if u don't pick up ur phone tonight!]

 

10 minutes pass before a reply comes.

From: Ga-In noona

[Regret? Maybe I will, maybe I won't! Bye for now, unnies r nosing around.]

Tch... this girl is going to get it, alright. But, truthfully, I like it when she's being like this. It makes me feel... intrigued. Ga-In noona, as expected, you're becoming even more appealing...

 

"We'll be going soon," Nam-Gook hyung says and I quickly gather my things. When we walk out, I see that Brown Eyed Girl's dressing room is empty; the door is ajar and the lights in the room are turned off. Did she go home already? "Hurry up, the van is waiting," Nam-Gook hyung says and we walk faster behind him.

 

On my way out, I see Ga-In noona talking to a tall guy. I've seen that guy before... his name is Seul-Ong or something; he's from a new group called 2AM. They look like they know each other very well. She's laughing while her hand is nudging his shoulder, and I don't like what I see. Is something going on between them? Why do I feel like this? It's ok if she has other friends, right? "Yah, Ji-Yong ah! What are you doing there? The others are in the van already, aish..." Nam-Gook hyung shouts, he's standing by the back door of the studio. , I must've frozen in my spot. After taking a last glance at Ga-In noona, who's still cheerfully talking with that Seul-Ong guy, I run towards the back door and jump into our van. 

 

Little did I know that what I felt was a pinch of jealousy...