Dreaming of You

Mr & Mrs Kwon Ji-Yong: Vita Dolce Moderato

Seoul, 17 March 2008

 

The sound of my mobile phone ringing endlessly startles me out of my sleep. I hurriedly answer it without even checking who was calling. "Yeoboseyo?" I answer in a gruff voice. I try to clear my throat, but it feels sore. "Omo, Ga-In ah! Are you still sick?" It's Kyung-Sun unnie. "I'm ok, unnie. It's just a little flu. Don't worry--" "What are you talking about? There's no such thing as a little flu! Have you taken your medication again?" She asks, practically yelling. Shoot! I didn't take my meds last night. I conked out as soon as I got home. "Yes, I have, unnie," I sigh inwardly as I lie to my manager. I don't want her to lecture me, which I know would definitely happen if I told her the truth. "Good, just stay at home and rest today. I'll reschedule your photoshoot," she says. "What? No, unnie. I'll go, I don't want to trouble you--" "You would trouble me more if you force yourself and faint at the location. Listen to that raspy voice of yours. Just stay at home and eat healthy food! Don't drink coffee or eat chocolates! Drink lots of warm water and take your meds! Don't make me come down there and shove them down your throat, because you know I'll do it!" she yells again. I'm undeniably defeated. "Neh, unnie. I will. Thank you. Say hi to the unnies for me," I tell her before hanging up.

 

I sigh heavily as I remember the dream I had last night. Ji-Yong was in it. In my dream, we were strolling on the beach. The wind was blowing and we played around in the water. Ji-Yong hugged me tightly and whispered sweet nothings in my ear. What does the dream mean? It bugs me because I barely know the guy and yet he has the guts to appear in my dream. I try to shake the thought off my mind. 

 

I look down and see myself still in yesterday's outfit. I didn't even remove my make-up. Where the hell is your sense of self-hygiene, Son Ga-In? I quickly get up and head to the bathroom. I gasp while looking at my reflection in the mirror. Ji-Yong's scarf is still hanging on my neck. I forgot to give it back to him last night. Gosh, maybe that's why I dreamt about him, I assure myself. There's nothing more to it, Son Ga-In. Friends often dream about each other, so just calm yourself. I get the whiff of the black fabric on my neck. It smells nice. Sweet, manly musk... the kind of smell that makes you feel calm yet enticed. Son Ga-In! Take a shower! A voice inside my head shrieks.

 

I do my laundry after taking a shower. I take a liberty to wash Ji-Yong's scarf. The label on it says that it can't be machine-washed. So I take some time to wash it by hands. While my clothes are in the dryer, I cook myself a chicken soup and eat lunch. Afterwards, I take my meds and fold my clothes. I laze around the house since I have no energy to do anything else. I try my best not to fall deep in thoughts because every time I space out, the dream from last night keeps replaying on my mind. I spend the rest of the day sleeping.

 

 

At the other side of Seoul... 

 

I'm getting ready to go to YG building when I hear a voice behind me. "Ji-Yong ah, are you heading to the office?" Taeyang asks as he pops his head out of his bedroom door. The can of coffee almost slips out of my hand, "yah! You scared me!" He just chuckles, "mian. Can I come with you? I have a dance practice," he asks with pleading eyes. This is why you need to learn how to drive, Young-Bae; I laugh in my head. "Yeah, sure. I need to go now, though, are you ready yet?" "I sure am. Ta-dah...!" he says cheerfully while revealing himself out of the bedroom. "You planned this, didn't you?" He giggles and replies, "you got me, chingu ya... Nam-Gook hyung told me you were coming and I told him that I should just come with you instead of waiting for a driver to pick me up. So, let's go!"

 

We get inside my car and I start up the engine. Taeyang stares at something and bends down to grab it. His hand is holding a small pink pouch when he asks me, "Ji-Yong ah, ige mwoya?" Eh? What is that? I've never seen that thing my whole life. Oh! It must be Ga-In noona's. That thing must've fallen off her bag last night. , what do I tell Taeyang now? "Err... it's mine," I curtly reply as I try to snatch it from his hand. But he's quicker. He zips open the pouch and pours out what's inside: a liquid eye-liner, a lip-gloss, and a mascara. I am officially screwed. "Yah! How could you open other people's things!" I shout at him exasperatedly. He smirks in mischief, "this... These things inside this pink pouch... You're telling me that these are yours? Your eye-liner, your lip-gloss, and your mascara?" Before I can find another excuse, he laughs at me. Ugh. He's my best friend and everything, but right now I want to throw acid at his face. 

 

"You could've just told me that you had a female companion here last night, Ji-Yong ah. Why did you have to--" "Ok! Alright, I'll admit. I ran into a friend of mine last night and I drove her home! Happy? Now give me that!" I scowl at him and briskly take the pouch off of his hand. He shrugs mockingly, "alrighty, Mr Pink Pouch. Can we go now?" Ugh, the nerve of this guy. I kindly let him ride along in my car and this is how he's paying me back?

 

I grunt inwardly during our drive to Hapjeong-dong, while Taeyang is softly mumbling the tune of his new song. He'll be launching a solo album soon and he seems so psyched about it. As I drive along, I remember the dream I had last night. Ga-In noona was in it. We were at a park and I was pushing her on the swing. She laughs happily as the wind is blows her hair. When we finished playing, she kissed me on my cheek. I looked so happy in that dream. I wonder what the dream means...

 

"Yah! Watch the road closely!" Taeyang exclaims as I hear a car honking at us. "You were spacing out again, and this time you put both of our lives on the line!" he chides. "Sorry," that's all I have to say.

 

As soon as we reach YG building, I park at my usual spot. "Thank you," Taeyang says. I nod my head and smile slightly. "Uh, Young-Bae ya, can you please not--" "tell anyone about your cute little pink pouch? You know me better, Ji-Yong. I don't snoop around other people's personal lives. Just be careful, will you? You know what happened after your last break-up. And you know where we stand right now with our status. If you're not careful, you both might get hurt." His tone is now calm and wise. This guy clearly worries too much. There's no relationship between me and her. "We're just friends," I tell him. He smiles warmly at me, "it all starts with that, Ji-Yong ah. Well, if you ever want to talk about it, you know where to find me." He unbuckles his seatbelt and jumps out of the car. He shuts the door but turns around and taps on the window amost immediately. "What?" I ask. "I think you should give that pouch back to its owner as soon as you can. I've never dated anyone, but from what I know, those things are very important to a girl. Thanks again for the ride."

 

I, too, then make my way into the building. I meet up with Teddy hyung and Kush hyung to work on the songs for the new album. I finish by 10 p.m. and drive to Ga-In noona's apartment. Since I don't have her number, I ask the security guard in the lobby to inform her that I'm here. He throws an accusing look at me when he finds out that I don't even know her apartment number. "Err... I need to give something to her and it's really important. If you don't trust me, just ask her to come down here," I tell him politely while feeling quite irritated inside. He doesn't seem to recognize me. Doesn't this guy watch TV? 

 

"I'm sorry, young man. Son Ga-In ssi wasn't answering. She's most probably out and isn't home yet. If you want, I can give it to her," the security guard says after hanging up the phone. Young man? Tch... he's doesn't even look much older than me and he calls me 'young man'. "Ah, no. It's okay. I'll give it to her some other time. Thank you for your help, sir. Have a good night.

 

I was planning to wait around for a bit in case she gets home, but I remember that I need to wake up early tomorrow for a practice. So, I decide to go back to my dorm.

 

Little did we know that God had planned to make both of our dreams come true...