It All Started with a Cup of Coffee

Mr & Mrs Kwon Ji-Yong: Vita Dolce Moderato

Seoul, 14 March 2008

 

The sound of the alarm clock on my side table rings mercilessly. As someone who doesn’t wake up easily, I can testify that the new alarm clock my manager bought me is doing its job properly. I remind myself to thank her later. I lazily roll around to the other side of my queen-size bed and hold out my hand to shut it off. The clock says 7 a.m. Great, right according to plan. I have an hour to get up, take a shower, get ready, and be on my way.

 

I muster up all the energy I have to jump out of bed. Dragging my feet with eyes half closed, I feel thankful for my studio apartment. It’s not big, but it’s not small. Just the perfect size for me. In a few eye blinks, I already find myself inside the bathroom. I do my business, brush my teeth, and shower myself with ice-cold water to help me wake up.

 

I look out the window. Good thing Spring came on time, it looks rather nice outside. I pick out a pair of comfortable skinny jeans, a sleeveless t-shirt, and an oversized cardigan with hood. Just in case it rains today. I put on a little make up on my face. Today we only have 2 radio shows and a meeting at the office, so I figure there’s no need to look so fancy.

 

My stomach grumbles. Hmm, that’s odd. I’m not the type that gets hungry in the morning so I never eat breakfast. I open the fridge only to find nothing edible inside. There are kimchi and some leftovers but there’s no way I’m eating those heavy foods at this time of the day. Well, I’ll just get something to eat on my way to work.

 

8:15 a.m. and ready to go. Good job, Son Ga-In! I praise myself. After closing the door behind me without forgetting to lock it, I skip down the hallway towards the elevator. As soon as I reach the apartment lobby, D-Sound’s song ‘Universally’ reaches my ears. I fish my mobile phone out of the bag and smile as I read the name that’s flashing on the screen: Yeo Kyung-Sun.

 

“Yeoboseyo…?” I answer, trying to sound as cute as possible. “Omo, did you eat something weird last night? What’s wrong with your voice?” The person on the other line asks, slightly shouting. I giggle, “unnie! I sounded cute, though, right? What’s up, unnie?” A small laugh flees , “don’t try too hard, Ga-In ah… Yah, are you ready yet? Don’t tell me you just woke up and waiting for me to kick you out of bed!”

 

“Kyung-Sun unnie, give me a little credit, will you? I’m in the lobby now, ready to go. The question is, where the hell are you guys?” I ask her, demanding an explanation of why my manager isn’t here yet. “Ah, jinjja? Wow, I’m amazed! Well, actually…” she hesitates a bit before explaining, “we’re about 30 minutes away from your place, mianhae Ga-In ah… Your Narsha unnie woke up late.”

 

“Geurae? Kwenchana unnie, I’ll just go out and grab some coffee someplace nearby. I’ll text you where I am later so you can just pick me up from there, ok?”

 

“Hmm, arasseo. Be careful, ok? I want to pick you up in one piece. And don’t drink too much coffee!” She lectures me before hanging up.

 

Sighing, I make my way out of the apartment building. I put on my sunglasses and pull up my hood. Half of my face is now covered. It’s still a bit early and the streets aren’t so crowded. Nonetheless, I don’t want to risk being recognized on the streets. I don’t have a lot of fans; it’s just that I feel nervous around strangers and my manager and my unnies aren’t around right now.

 

I walk across the street, make a couple of turns, and pass by Hongdae Station. Noticing a lot of people coming in and out of the station, I tighten the grip on my hood and handbag. I stride towards Coffee Lab, my favourite coffee shop.

 

I remember my promise to let Kyung-Sun unnie know my pick-up location.

To: Yeo Kyung-Sun

[Unnie, I’m at the usual coffee place, I’ll see you soon…]

The reply comes almost immediately.

From: Yeo Kyung-Sun

[The one near Hongdae Stn? Arasseo, be there soon, dongsaeng ah…]

 

The ravishing smell of coffee welcomes me as I let myself in and order at the counter. I’m a regular customer and I know almost everyone who works here. To be fair, we’re not friendly enough for me to remember their names or anything, but enough for me to say hi and bye comfortably.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Ga-In ssi!” the girl behind the counter greets me happily; a little too loudly I must say. As she says my name, I carefully look around and feel relieved that there are only two other people there. Normally around this time, they get a lot of customers who buy coffee on their way to work. That’s another odd thing happening today. Me being hungry in the morning, and Coffee Lab being quiet at 8:30 a.m. Oh well, whatever.

 

I grin at her and reply, “Neh, annyeonghaseyo. Can I get one large Caffè Americano to go, please?”

 

“Of course! Large Caffè Americano for Ga-In ssi, coming up! That’ll be 8,000 Won,” she tells me after putting in my order. I grab my purse, and to my surprise, there’s no money in there. So many coins, but even those will not add up to 8,000 Won. I look at the girl behind the counter with a tiny smile on my face, “give me a minute, please.”

 

My hand scrabbles around inside my bag trying to find my other purse that carries all my cards in it. Good God, Ga-In, this is why you always have to remember to carry some cash with you! While scolding myself in my head, I hear the girl suddenly gasps and squeals in delight, “omo!” I look up and find her grinning even wider than before, with her hand blocking .

 

I ignore her and keep searching for my purse. Damn it, why did put so many things inside this huge bag this morning? I groan and curse myself inwardly. Frustrated, I squat down and pour out everything in my bag onto the floor. To my dismay, that other purse I need so helplessly is nowhere in sight. In the corner of my eyes, I can see someone standing next in line. I abruptly put everything inside my bag and stand up. “Umm… Did you, by any chance, make my order already?”

 

“Yup! It’s done, Ga-In ssi,” she answers me, still in a cheerful manner, while pointing at the other end of the counter. Sitting there on the high table is my large cup of Caffè Americano, waiting to be savoured. And here I am, trying to find an excuse because I don’t have enough money to pay for it.

 

“Err… The thing is, I don’t have enough cash with me, and all my cards are in my other purse. Would you mind if I cancel my order?” I ask her pleadingly and her face looks bewildered. An idea pops up in my mind and before she can say anything, I tell her, “Or is it ok of I pay later? My manager is on her way here to pick me up and I’ll borrow her money…”

 

She is about to open and answer when the person standing behind me says, “Can I have a large cappuccino, please? And, uh, I’ll pay for her order.”

 

“N-neh? Ah, yes! Yes, of course! One large cappuccino coming right away!” The girl answers in surprise while still beaming.

 

I hurriedly turn around to reject the guy’s nice gesture, “excuse me, I really appreciate it but you don’t need to pay for my coffee, my friend is coming here any minute and…” I gasp before I can finish my sentence. “K-Kwon Ji-Yong…ssi?” My voice trails as soon as I realize who the guy is.

 

“Ah, good morning, Son Ga-In ssi. What a pleasant surprise running into you here. Don’t worry about the coffee, it’s my treat,” he says while handing money to the girl, “here you go, and keep the change.” It’s his treat? What? This is my first time seeing the guy outside of work-related events and also the first time I actually talk to him. We usually just bowed quietly every time we bumped into each other. I follow him walking to the other end of the counter to wait for his order.

 

“Andwaeyo, Ji-Yong ssi. I’ll pay you back now. I’ll tell my manager to come here quickly.” I dial Kyung-Sun unnie and as I’m about to put my mobile phone on my ear, he softly grabs the phone and ends the call. What the hell? I look up at him, trying to register what just happened. He smiles, biting his lower lip, “it’s ok. Don’t worry about it. Please. Just take it as my White Day gift for you.”

 

Again, WHAT? I know today is White Day, but really, what the hell is wrong with this guy? I feel thankful for his help but we’re not that close for him to buy me coffee, even if it only costs 8,000 Won. I shake the thoughts off of my head when I realize he is no longer standing in front of me. I grab my coffee and go to his table, slightly stomping.

 

“Uh, Ji-Yong ssi, thank you, but I don’t feel comfortable with that idea. If you’re in a hurry then I’ll… Oh! Give me your bank account details and I’ll transfer the money!” I sit across him and fumble with my bag trying to find a pen and my little notebook. A soft laugh flies out of his mouth as he pokes my hand, “Ga-In ssi, stop worrying, please. If you insist on paying me back, I’ll feel offended.”

 

“Y-Yeh? W-Waeyo?”

 

“Like I said, just take it as my White Day gift for you. I know guys usually give chocolates and cookies, but I think coffee is better, don’t you? Or if you’re still uncomfortable with that, just take it as a coffee lover treating another coffee lover… Ok?” he says before sipping his cappuccino.

 

“O-Oh… Neh, algesseoyo. I hope I can pay you back somehow,” I smile at him sincerely and enjoy my Caffè Americano. I think he didn’t hear what I said since he just sits there with his legs crossed and sips his coffee quietly while looking out the window. Soon, silence occupies the atmosphere. 

 

Uh-oh, this is awkward. I keep glancing at my phone. Why aren’t they here yet? Should I excuse myself and leave? Maybe he wants some alone time. Otherwise why would he be here? But if I leave, where should I go? I already texted Kyung-Sun unnie that I was heading to Coffee Lab. Shall I just wait outside? No, it would be even weirder if I did that. Argh. I hate this. Two words: too awkward. Come on, Ga-In, pull yourself together and make small talks. Ask how Big Bang is doing or something. You can do it! Fighting!

 

Just as I’m about to say something, my stomach grumbles. Aigoo! Nice timing, stomach! I will feed you in a minute, but right now I don’t have enough money to buy anything, so shut up! “Are you hungry, Ga-In ssi?” Oh, maaan! He didn’t hear that, did he? Now it’s not only awkward but also embarrassing. “Eh? Aniyo, I’m fine, Ji-Yong ssi,” I tell him while silently praying for my stomach not to make anymore sound.

 

He raises his eyebrows, “do you want something to eat? I can buy you a scone or--“ I cut him quickly, “aniyo! It’s ok, really. I’m not hungry. Don’t buy… Uh… just, no.” I don’t want to bring up anything about the money I owe, afraid that it would offend him.

 

“Are you sure? Because I heard your stomach just now…” Ok. That confirms my doubt. He really did hear my stupid stomach. I feel my cheeks burning up. I must be red as a tomato by now. And all of this is happening in front of Kwon Ji-Yong. Why, God, why? I’m sorry I haven’t been to the church in a long time, but do you hate me that much?

 

He bends down and picks up his backpack from the floor beside his chair and his hands fumble inside. “Here, take this,” he hands me a small bag of rice crackers. I wave my hands in front of him, “no, it’s ok, Ji-Yong ssi. I’m not--“

 

“Not hungry?” he finishes up my sentence and chuckles, “come on, Ga-In ssi. Your manager is coming to pick you up, that means you have a schedule. And judging by the sound I heard just now, your stomach is begging for you to eat something. These rice crackers are pretty good, you know. My members and I ate them all the time when we were in Japan. We just got back here yesterday night, that’s why I have some left in my bag…”

 

I sheepishly smile, take the rice crackers off his hand, and mouth a ‘thank you’. Another silence fills the air as I’m munching on the crackers. Ok, Ga-In. This guy has been very nice to you. Show your gratitude. Talk to him, for God’s sake!

 

“What were you guys doing in Japan?” I blurt a question. A stupid one at that, too. What were they doing in Japan? Working, of course! I wish I had the ability to clone so I could hit my other self in the head right now. “We just released our mini album in Japan so we’ve been going there back and forth to promote,” he answers me, still smiling. Gosh, he must’ve thought that it was a stupid question, too.

 

“Jeongmalyo? Wow… Daebak! What’s it called?” Nice going. Yet another dumb question. ‘What’s it called?’ Really? That’s the best you could come up with? I mentally face-palm myself. “Hmm? You mean the title of the album? It’s called ‘For the World’, all the songs are in English, though.”

 

“Ah…” I nod understandingly, “oh, by the way, congratulations on winning Best Male Group and Song of The Year at MAMA last year. You guys are so cool! Especially you, since you made the songs,” I compliment him. Good job, Ga-In! Something that isn’t foolish finally comes out of your big mouth. I feel like high-fiving myself. But, did I sound too much like a fangirl? ‘Especially you?’ Where the hell did that come from? Of course, the guy is awesome for creating all those songs, but don’t flatter him too much. You’re just making small talk! I scold myself quietly.

 

“Kamsahamnida…” he replies shyly. “Congratulations to you, too! Brown Eyed Girls just released a new mini album ‘With Love’, right? And your single ‘L.O.V.E’ is topping the charts... You must be proud and happy, no?” his shy grin is now replaced with a wide one. I gasp in silence. He knows that? Wow, that’s flattering. “Thank you. We’re just trying our best.”

 

The crackers are now long gone, and my coffee is almost finished. I glance at my watch; it’s almost 9:30 a.m. Seriously, where the hell are these unnies? We have radio interview in half an hour! Is this how it feels like when they’re always waiting for me, ‘Little Miss Late’?

 

“Err… Ga-In ssi, can I call you noona?” he suddenly asks me, breaking yet another silence. “Yes, of course. Why not?” I answer.

 

“Really? Well, if you’re uncomfortable with that, I won’t…” he responds, his face looks puzzled, which makes a hearty laugh escape my mouth. “Of course you can! Come on, we’ve seen each other many times at programs and events, and although we’ve always been awkward, today I felt comfortable enough getting a White Day present from you. It’s a progress, right? Also, noona sounds better than Ga-In ssi, I think.”

 

“Ok, then. Ga-In noona…” he says softly. “Hmm…?” I turn my head at the mention of my name and face him. “Nothing, I just wanted to try calling you. You were right, it sounds better.”

 

“What should I call you, then?” I playfully ask him. Well, if he calls me Ga-In noona, it would be a little awkward for me to call him so formally, right? “You can just call me Ji-Yong, noona.  No need to be so formal.”

 

“Ok, Ji-Yong. Thanks again for the coffee, and for the rice crackers.”

“My pleasure, noona. I’m happy that I can chat with you here. I really love the coffee here. I usually ask manager hyung to buy one for me, but today I decided to stop by when I saw the café was quite empty. Which is odd, because every time I drive by this place in the morning it’s always crowded.”

 

“I know, right? I was surprised, too,” I tell him, feeling relieved over the fact that we can talk and no longer buried in silence. “Do you come here a lot, noona?”

 

“Yeah, actually. I know most of the people who work here. My apartment is only a few minutes away from here by walking. So…”

“Ah… Is that so? Do you like coffee that much, noona?”

“Mmm,” I nod excitedly, “I drink 5 or 6 cups a day. I love the smell and how the bittersweet taste lingers in my mouth.” He nods his head in agreement.

 

His gaze once again wanders around the café. This time I decide to break the silence.

“You know what?”

“What?” he looks me in the eyes.

“I’m sorry you had to hear the sound of my stomach,” I shyly tell him, “it was odd, though, because I don’t usually eat breakfast. Coffee has always been able to do the trick.” He chuckles at my remark, “it’s alright, noona. You got the chance to eat my tasty rice crackers, right? But you should eat breakfast regularly, noona. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”

 

“You don’t have work today? It’s hard to believe someone as busy as you are has time to sits around in a café like this,” I ask him. “I do, but my appointment with Teddy hyung is at lunchtime. I woke up a little early today, which was odd, because I usually wake up late,” he smiles and continues, “maybe I got too tired from yesterday so I couldn’t sleep well.”

 

As he stops talking, my mobile phone rings.

“Oh, Kyung-Sun unnie! Where are you?”

“Ga-In ah, mianhae, the traffic was bad. We’re like a minute away from Coffee Lab now, are there a lot of people outside? Can you come out?” she asks. “Sure. I’ll wait for you outside, unnie.”

 

“Noona, is your manager here already?” Ji-Yong looks at me as I zip up my bag. “Neh. She said she’d be here in a minute,” I reply and take the last sip of my coffee, “Ji-Yong, thanks again for the coffee, the snack, and for keeping me company.”

 

Keeping me company? What? Flatter yourself much, Ga-In? He didn’t keep you company, he had some time on his hands so he decided to hang around. I shake my thoughts and stand up. “Well, I gotta go now. I’ll see you around, ok?” He stands up and smiles at me, “take care of yourself, noona. Eat healthy breakfast. And have fun at your schedule!”

 

“You’re starting to sound like my mother, Ji-Yong, but thank you. Take care of yourself, too! Big Bang, fighting!” I bow my head slightly and put my fist up in the air. He giggles and waves his hand.

 

I stride out of Coffee Lab just in time our van pulls over, showing Kyung-Sun unnie with an apologetic look on her face while Narsha unnie, JeA unnie, and Miryo unnie are dozing in their seats. I turn my head around and look at the window of Coffee Lab. I can see Ji-Yong’s stare through the tinted glass. He’s smiling. I smile back and get into the van.

 

“Were you waiting long, Ga-In ah? Mianhae…” JeA unnie, who is now awake, taps my shoulder from behind. “Aniya, unnie. It’s ok. I had a great time hanging around at the café.”

 

“Aish, jinjja! If only Narsha didn’t wake up late, you wouldn’t have to wait for so long…” Kyung-Sun unniechatters and scolds Narsha unnie, who’s still asleep. I just chuckle as my mind wanders, thinking about what happened earlier this morning. It was indeed an odd morning.

 

And little did I know, that this odd morning was the beginning of an adventure of my life. The biggest, most interesting, and most beautiful adventure of love. 

 

 

 

 

 

__________

Author's Note:

Fun facts: D-Sound really is Ga-In's favourite musician. Both G-Dragon and Ga-In enjoy drinking coffee. The cafe Coffee Lab in Hongdae makes great coffee, probably one of the best in Seoul; this is from personal experience. Tee-hee.