Arcade

Club for Two

 

Suzy's POV

"Let's go on a date," Junghwan grinned. Surprised, I dropped the bouquet. 

D-Date?! 

Blood rushed to my face, and I followed the first thing my instinct told me to do... well, the first two things. I covered my face, and then ran. I needed a breather. 

He can't just drag me away from class, put me at risk for a detention, and then - and then ask me on a date!!! What is that supposed to mean? What can I assume?!!?

Meaningless questions ran through my head even though I already knew the answer to them. 

No no no, that's impossible. Panting, I entered class, keeping my head low in apology and trying to not cause a disturbance. Tiptoeing, I found two empty seat in the back of the room, one was next to Taecyeon... who was also holding a huge bouquet of flowers. 

Steering myself away from the grinning boy, I chose the other empty seat.

After class, the teacher called me up. 

"Suzy, where were you? It's not like you to come late and risk a detention," Seongsaengnim reprimanded me. Because it wasn't my fault... Then Seongsaengnim added, "Do you know where Junghwan went? He wasn't here today."

Surprisingly, I found myself saying, "No. I haven't seen him at all today. Maybe he's sick?"

"Maybe," Seongsaengnim muttered. "I thought you would know since you two were close, but I guess not. Well, if he's sick, can you hand him the notes?" 

"Sure," I forced myself to sound innocent. 

_____________________

For the rest of the day, I didn't see Junghwan. I was relieved, really. I needed time to think. And after a whole day of thinking, I'm kind of proud to say I've actually gotten somewhere. That is to say, I think I was freaking out for nothing. He never said "go out" or "start dating", he just said "go on a date". I'm guessing that means a day out...?? 

"Suzy!" Taecyeon called my name after school. He was still holding a bouquet of flowers. 

I blushed, remembering Junghwan's bouquet... Where was it? Oh right, I dropped it. 

"Hey, Taecyeon," I smiled tightly. 

"Hey Suzy! So... Do you know where Junghwan is?" he asked. Not really, but I have a feeling you do.

"Nope," I shrugged. "I just saw him this morning."

"Did he give you a bouquet?" Taecyeon asked. 

"Yeah, but I kind of lost it," I squeaked. Taecyeon's somber face seemed to brighten up a bit.

"Then have mine!" Taecyeon grinned.

"I don't really want to haul a bouquet around...." I trailed off.

"Then I'll just drop it off at your house!" Taecyeon suggested.

"You don't even know where my house is."

"Well, I will soon. I'm going to walk you home, after I bring you somewhere," Taecyeon answered immediately.

"But I have homework, and stuff to do!!! I don't have time to go somewhere after school!!" And I have a part time job too! 

"I didn't know you worked part time!" Taecyeon grinned. "Well, I'm sure he'll let you off. You need a break once in a while."

Um..... No no and no. That sounded really bad in my ears.

"I kind of need the extra money-" I tried to explain.

"Just say you were sick!" Taecyeon dismissed my excuse. "I'll bring you to a place I know you'll love!" 

Seriously???? 

"Arraso...." I hesitantly answered. 

_______________________________

"It's around here," Taecyeon led me down a street. I gasped as I saw a bookstore. Was this the one that Appa was telling me about that just opened up?! I instinctively walked towards the bookstore.

"Where are you going?" Taecyeon steered my shoulders away into the store right next to it. W-wait!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!? ALL THOSE PRECIOUS BOOKS!!!

"What is this place?" I mumbled, a little pissed. Was he trolling me or something? 

"It's an arcade!" Taecyeon answered as he fished for his money.

"How many people?" asked a person at the front door.

"Two," Taecyeon handed the money. The person counted the bills and let us go through the door. 

I looked around the room. It was filled with cold boxes of machines that had games inside. Weird otakus and gaming geeks were making strange shooting noises with their mouths, and one guy got so frustrated that he even punched the TV he was playing on. 

I never was into video games.... The closest I ever got to animation was watching movies. So these machines didn't exactly appeal to me, but who knows? Maybe I'll have a change of heart. 

"Do you want to race?" Taecyeon asked. 

"Sure?" I squeaked. 

I found myself in a seat shaped like a motorcycle's, and Taecyeon was in the motorcycle right next to mine. 

"Just step on the pedal to accelerate, and lean which ever way you're going," Taecyeon advised me before the game started. 

"W-WAAHHHH!!!" I panicked as I leaned over to the right. WHY WASN'T I TURNING?!?!??! I leaned even further, and on the screen, my avatar turned.

"HAHA!! Suzy, you're so slow! Eat my dust!" Taecyeon guffawed as he zoomed past me. 

I hate this game. 

__________________________

I guess I was wrong after all. Instead of learning to like playing in an arcade, I just learned how to lose and make myself look like an idiot. Finally, Taecyeon had decided we could leave the arcade, and we were in front of my door.

"I missed you, you know," his voice all of a sudden husky. 

"Sure," I gave a curt nod, waiting impatiently for someone to open the door. 

"Here are the flowers," Taecyeon took one of my hands and put the bouquet in it.

"Cool," I answered, trying to peek inside my windows to see if anyone was coming yet. When I turned back around, I saw Taecyeon's closed eyes and puckered lips closing in. 

An alarm sounded in my head, and I tried to squeeze against the door, wondering if I could slip right through it. 

His lips were an inch away now. 

Then the door opened, and I fell backwards into Umma. 

"Omo, what are you doing Suzy?" Umma caught me. "Taecyeon? Omo, I didn't know you came back!" 

"Hey Mrs. Bae," Taecyeon winked. "I was just dropping Suzy off. It's nice to see you, but I have to get going!" 

I was relieved when Taecyeon turned around to go, but he shot me a why-didn't-you-let-me-kiss-you glance. I pretended to not see it as I closed the door.

"My, that Taecyeon has grown up into a fine young hulk of a man, hasn't he?" Umma giggled.

"Guess so," I shrugged, replaying the rejected kiss in my mind, and then shuddering at the thought. 

When had I become like this? Was I this... love repellent?