Wonwoo: Awakened

Stay Strong Seventeen 2

 

-----------------------

It’s been a couple of hours since the doctor came into their dorm rushing over to attend Wonwoo’s condition but to them, it felt like an eternity, every minute so slow, and every second too heavy.

The boy was sleeping rather peacefully now that the antibiotics were kicking in.

Earlier, things were a bit out of hands

 

''He must have overworked himself'' the doctor confirmed ''Once he wakes up, I’ll take him to have an X-ray, I just want to make sure he didn’t catch Pneumonia’’ … ‘’He has been into cold water for too long’’ Scoups sighed once again and nodded.

 

He was glad that he was doing a little better because earlier, things were getting a little out of hand. Wonwoo was probably hallucinating, mumbling things to himself and tears wouldn’t stop falling from his cheeks to his pillow. But a while later, he seemed to calm down, the doctor put him on plenty of fluids and a strong antibiotic, hoping that it would wash his fever and pain away.

 

It was already dark outside, and it was obvious that tonight was going to be nothing but scary silence. Jeonghan and Scoups were exhausted by now. Woozi and Hoshi stepped in to replace them, but Mingyu wouldn’t move. He sat on the floor, tiredly leaning over Wonwoo’s side occasionally holding his hand, wiping the sweat forming on his forehead and gently coaxing him back to sleep. Wonwoo was restless at first, mumbling things to himself, Mingyu’s heart shuttered when he heard the word ‘’Mom’’ coming from his friend’s mouth, his voice barely audible. For a few minutes, Wonwoo was visibly shaking and Woozi tightly covered secured the blanket around him, and soon enough, placing another one around Mingyu’s shoulders as well.

 

Hoshi finally got Mingyu to leave his spot, it was almost 11pm, Mingyu was dozing off sitting on the floor, on the same spot he was in the past few hours. Hoshi didn’t even listen to him when Mingyu whined ‘No I’m staying’ he just put his arm around his shoulder and literally just picked him. Walked a few feet away to his bed and sat him down ‘’I’m begging you just take 20 minutes nap’ Mingyu couldn’t argue much after that, not that he had it in to fight anyways.

 

The dorm was too quiet, everybody keeping it low trying, in their ways, to help as the night got darker.

 

Wonwoo felt a wave of heat storming his body, he opened his eyes a little, he was in his bed and covered with a warm blanket that he badly wanted to remove now. He could feel the stickiness on his back from the fever sweat. His throat was dry, and the feeling of sickness quickly manifested itself. He was better off when he was dreaming of his dead mother. He glanced around, everyone seemed to be too quiet, the room was dark and cold, the AC was slightly on. He tried to move his arm when a sharp sting surprised him, he hissed and flopped back to his pillow. The sudden movement startled Woozi. The older was sitting on Mingyu’s bed.

 

It was 3am, by that time, everyone was trying to get some rest themselves. Scoups finally heaved a relieved sigh around 2am when he took a reading on Wonwoo’s fever, and it was two degrees lower than earlier. It was finally breaking. Knowing that he was doing better, Hoshi dragged a vert drowsy Mingyu outside to sleep properly with the others, Woozi wasn’t much tired he volunteered to stay in case Wonwoo needed something and soon enough Wonwoo woke up one hour later.

 

Startled, Woozi jumped off Mingyu’s bed and hurried to Wonwoo’s side, the younger seemed a bit startled himself but rather awake ‘’Hey’’ Woozi whispered, Wonwoo tried to sit up again, this time, completely leaning onto Woozi for support ‘How do you feel?’’ the older asked and Wonwoo didn’t have much to say ‘’Like I fell off an airplane, hit the ground, and got ran by a bus’’

Woozi chuckled, did this Wownoo who was basically in a coma for hours just crack a joke?

‘’That’s about right.’’ Woozi supported Wonwoo’s feelings, he must be feeling like hell still.

‘’Can I get some water?” Wonwoo asked feeling drained already 

He was rather thirsty, he gulped down so much water that Woozi asked him to slow down. Wonwoo sighed, finally getting his thoughts together ''

Wonwoo sighed, finally getting his thoughts together. ''What happened Hyung?” he asked almost embarrassed with his question, all he could remember was his last meal with Jeonghan and Scoups

 

‘’You basically went into hyperpyrexia.’’ Woozi sadly said, running a hand on Wonwoo’s cheeks checking his fever one last time ‘’And you’re still kind of warm.’’

Wownoo looked confused ‘’W-what?” he questioned.

‘’Your fever reached 41C and you wouldn’t wake up, we tried to cool you down but, in the end, Scoups called our doctor, and he gave you a lot of medicine’’ Woozi explained, reaching out to Wonwoo’s arm where the doctor injected him with the IV drips earlier and a patch was covering his skin.

 

Wonwoo figured that it must be the reason why his arm stung so bad he hissed, ‘’ I-I don’t remember’ he confessed, feeling a bit confused.

‘’I’m glad you don’t honestly.’’ Woozi wouldn’t stop staring at Wonwoo’s face, he ran a soothing hand on his back ‘’Would like to change your shirt and freshen up a little?” Wonwoo immediately nodded.

 

‘’Where are the others?’’

‘’Trying to get some sleep, I wasn’t that much tired so I stayed, … but’’ Woozi stopped for a second before he continued ‘’Maybe you should talk to Mingyu in the morning, he was most worried he went silent for a long time.’’

 

But Mingyu is never silent, Wonwoo felt so guilty, he must have worried everyone else as well. He was glad that Woozi was there helping him to get off his drenched tshirt and putting on a new one. He slowly walked to the washroom where he washed his face. God the cold water again his flushed cheeks felt so good. He stood there for a while. He doesn’t remember much, but he remembers his mom’s face staring at him. Was it the work of his feverish imagination? He ran a shaky hand on his temples giving his fuzzy head a small massage before Woozi handed him a towel and walked out of there.

‘’Eat this’’ Woozi suggested while handing Wonwoo a granola bar ‘it wont do much but at least it helps, do you want me to get you something else?’’’

Wonwoo shook his head ‘’No’’

‘’You should go back to sleep then’’ Wownoo didn’t argue and nodded.

‘By the way?’’ Woozi remembered and Wonwoo picked up his head only to find Woozi getting closer ‘’Do you feel any pain in your chest?’’ he asked and Wonwoo shook his head confused ‘’No’’

‘’Any trouble breathing? Any abdominal pain?’’ and again, Wonwoo shook his head

‘’No, why?”

‘’The doctor wants to give you an X-ray later, he said you were in the water for too long when you are sick and he wants to make sure that you didn’t catch pneumonia’’

Wonwoo didn’t know how to respond, he felt most guilty about worrying everyone and this? He nodded not really sure what was waiting for him the next day.