Appendix XXIII [IP]

Appendices [RS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: October 4th is the angel line day, which is Wheesun's day. I never planned on writing this one or even going back here but I just had this idea yesterday. Wasn't able to write yesterday because I was busy (I have always been busy since the start of classes) but I miraculously had today vacant, and so I quickly wrote this. I'm rusty already and I also didn't proofread this so I don't think this is any good. I hope you'll still enjoy. Happy Belated Angel Line Day!

ps. I just dropped by to release this then I'll go back to focusing with my studies :)

Yongsun’s POV

 

I pulled the steering wheel as I turned the car into Magnolia’s parking lot. I parked my car as I pulled the handbrake, briefly glancing inside the café through its glass windows. I shut the engine off and grabbed my purse as I unbuckled my seatbelt.

Before I turned off my car, I caught a glimpse of white light numbers. My dashboard said that it’s still around seven in the morning, which explains the rush of people coming in and out of the café I saw a second ago. Contrary to the other customers, I’m not here in a hurry. In fact, I was taking my time pushing the glass doors open and walking to fall in line with the ones that are in suits and uniforms for work. Some were even holding books and notebooks, which told me are students cramming for their tests.

I held my purse behind me as I clasped my hands on my back and closed my eyes to take a whiff of the familiar scent of coffee. A memory instantly flashed behind my eyes when I inhaled the scent of coffee into my system.

“Let’s just skip your coffee! We’re running late already. I don’t like to make Dr. Lee wait for us”

I smiled at the memory of Wheein scolding me for dropping by at a café when we’re already running late for one her therapy sessions with her adoptive mother. I silently chuckled at the image of her pouting at me when she saw me buying her favorite chocolate chip cookies and coffee for Dr. Lee as well.

“This is bribery, you know…” she’d say while stealing the cookies from me before she’d happily munch on them.

“Miss, excuse me”

A voice behind me pulled me out of the memories in my head. I instantly opened my eyes and glanced behind me to see who was talking to me.

“The line’s already moving” a guy in a grey suit said to me.

I hurriedly apologized to him and moved forward. I saw irritated sneers from the people in line behind him. I don’t want to be scolded by them as well if they’ll be late. I couldn’t bribe them with chocolate chip cookies like how I could easily do that with Wheein.

When I finally reached the cash register, Wina instantly smiled when she saw me while Hwasa and Moonbyul, who’re at the espresso machines, spared a glance to smile and wave at me. I quickly waved back before I turned to Wina, who’s already placing my usual order.

“The usual, right?” she asked.

“Yes but add two chocolate chip cookies to that” I hurriedly said as I fished for my wallet in my purse.

She raised a curious eyebrow up while I only smiled at her as I gave her my card. She dropped the brow and grabbed my card to process my payment. “We’ve reserved your favorite spot. Just don’t mind the sign placed on the table. You can have it”

That immediately made me smile brighter. “Thank you but you really don’t have to reserve a spot for me everyday, Wina”

“Waiting is not an easy thing to do and I understand that. At least we can make it a little bit better for our loyal customer.” She softly chuckled as she handed me my card and receipt, showing me her single dimple that reminded me of Wheein so much. “I hope you enjoy our coffee and food, Yongsun”

“I always do. Thank you”

I went to the side and grabbed my order. Then I headed to the empty booth right by the windows. There’s a sign on the table that says “For Management Use Only,” making me smile as I placed my tray down on the table. I slid to the booth and placed my purse beside before I took a sip of my iced Americano. I grabbed a piece of the chocolate chip cookie and started eating it even when it’s a little bit sweet for me early in the morning.

“Such a baby” I whispered under my breath as I continued to eat the cookie.

It’s been more than a year since I last saw Wheein. It’s been more than a year since we broke up too. It was a decision neither one of us wanted to do but had to because of her condition. She wanted me to forget her but I always come here and visit the place where we first met to remember her. At this point, I’m not even even sure if I’m exactly waiting for Wheein anymore because her coming back will be very uncertain. But I’m certain that I don’t want to forget her.

I miss her so much as well. Every time I wake up, I would unconsciously reach on her side of the bed, only to feel that empty space beside me. Only to feel sad like it’s the very day we broke up. Wherever I looked in my apartment, I could see Wheein; her back in the kitchen when she cooks for us, her hunched figure on the dining table or in the living room when she concentrates on her work, and her arms and legs flapping in bed to stretch when she wakes up.

It’s not just the memory of Wheein that I could see. I could see Gabby in her paint-stained apron or Hyejin busy in the kitchen to prepare a three-course meal for me, or even Byulyi pouting at me as she begged to take a sip of her beer. Until now, I haven’t touched Gabby’s playroom. I’d lie down in her soft mats and hug the stuffed toys left with me every time I miss her, or Hyejin, or Byulyi. Basically, every time I miss Wheein, which is every single waking day.

I really have to look for a new place to stay. Being reminded of Wheein in my current apartment but not being able to talk or see her is suffocating sometimes. It has become unbearable and it’s not helping me cope with how much I miss her.

I especially miss her so much today. Today is a very special day for me and Wheein. If we were together now, we’d be celebrating our fifth anniversary since we got in a relationship. When we became official girlfriends is quite confusing because Wheein didn’t say yes when I asked her. She didn’t say no either so I just assumed that we’re together and we were because she allowed me to kiss her and even go beyond that.

I grabbed my cup of coffee and took a sip of it once I finished eating the chocolate chip cookie. I went to eat my sandwich next while I grabbed my phone from my purse. I dialled Wheein’s number even though I already knew our call wouldn’t connect. I called Hyejin’s number next halfway through my sandwich and met with the same result when I called Wheein’s number.

I pulled my phone and stared at Wheein’s number on my phone screen, thinking how she really did what she promised to me when we broke up. While here I am, breaking every single thing she wanted me to promise.

I miss you, Whee. I miss my baby, my best friend, and Byulyi too...

I raised my left hand and turned it around, staring at the engagement ring Byulyi bought for me that I’m still wearing. I sighed heavily, hoping to relieve myself from the weight that started to occupy my chest. I dropped my hand and cleared my throat as I reached for my coffee. I drank my coffee and opened my messages, writing a text to a different person this time.

 

To: Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, good morning. It’s Yongsun. I don’t know if you still remember me but just to remind you, Wheein and I were in a relationship for three years. I’m sorry to bother you and you really don’t have to reply to this, but I’m hoping you’ll hear me out.
Today’s supposed to be our fifth anniversary and I miss her so much, Dr. Lee. I miss her every single day and I miss her even more knowing how special today was supposed to be. I never ask to see her or meet her, Dr. Lee. Let me just hear her voice and I won’t say a word. That’s all I ask... Please… I just miss her a lot, it’s starting to hurt already.
If I’m not allowed to do so, it’s okay. You don’t have to reply to this text.

 

I hit send and frowned at my phone while I waited for Dr. Lee’s response.

“What’s with the long face?”

I glanced up and timidly smiled at Moonbyul. “Not busy anymore?” I asked in response to her question.

She pointed at the other tables in the café and that’s when I noticed that I’m the only remaining customer staying inside. “Boss is out. Girlfriend’s baking. Rush hour has passed.” Moonbyul slid on the booth across from me and made herself comfortable. “I’ve done cleaning the other tables already. I’m sent by my girlfriend to entertain our loyal customer. So…” She clasped her hands and placed it on the table while her eyes scanned my face. “What’s with the long face?”

I wrapped my half-eaten sandwich and reached for my coffee. “Nothing…” I softly whispered but obviously that’s not so convincing that Moonbyul gave me a pointed look. “I just miss her,” I whispered as I played with my straw and the ice in my cup.

“That’s what you say everyday but we’ve noticed you're extra sad today” Moonbyul said, frowning a little bit at me. “Anything we can help with?”

I’ve been in this café so many times that the baristas and even the owner knew me already. They also know why I visit their café everyday and my relationship with Wheein. They didn’t know her condition, just that we had to break up because of medical concerns on her part. They started talking to me and would even give me an extra sandwich, as well as letting me taste test a new menu. For more than a year of going here, we’ve naturally grown to be friends that we could casually talk to each other.

I sadly smiled at Moonbyul before I trained my eyes on the straw I was playing with. “It’s supposed to be our fifth anniversary today. I miss her even more today. I guess…” I tried to smile at her again but I knew she could see that it didn’t reach my eyes. “That’s all.” I pushed the remaining chocolate chip cookie to her and changed the subject as I said, “Are you hungry? I couldn’t finish this one. It’s a little bit sweet for me”

She grabbed it right away as she mumbled, “Wina’s recipes are really good. Hwasa’s baking makes it even better.” She smiled so wide while I softly laughed at her. “Thanks” she said before she happily ate the cookie, reminding me of Wheein’s enthusiasm. “You shouldn’t have bought two if you could only finish one but I’m glad you did. I get the other one for free” she mumbled while still chewing her food.

“Thought of buying it today since it’s her favorite. She’d always eat two every chance she gets”

The cookie stopped midway to Moonbyul’s mouth while was left hanging open as she stared at me. I laughed at her before I motioned for her to continue eating it and telling her that it’s fine. She reluctantly took the last bite while still eyeing me the whole time. I just smiled and laugh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter