Chapter 16

Home | Jungkook (Completed)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The week had passed by quickly, but she knew she wasn’t getting better.

She tried to distract herself with working, but it didn’t help that her work coincided largely with the year-end award shows, where she was prone to meeting Jungkook and the band all the time. She didn’t mind meeting the members, it was Jungkook that she had issues with.

When she walked past him, he always looked like he had something to say - and Jihyun was anticipating it. She knew she would accept any explanation in a heartbeat if he would justify his reason for choosing Nari, but the explanation never came. She saw the blank look on his face as he pursed his lips and continued walking to the stage - Jihyun felt as if he had thrown her heart into a burning pit of fire as it turned into ashes. They looked like two strangers - as if those beautiful memories held in her heart had not been real.

Little did she know that he was dying to talk to her. He felt the urge to run towards her and tell her that he still loved her, and that he would never stop loving her. The reason why he chose Nari, and the reason why he left six years ago. It all came with a reason, a reason which he swore he would never tell anyone but Jin.

He clutched tightly onto their pictures before he slept every night, tears falling uncontrollably down his cheeks as he tried to muffle them and prevent Jin from hearing. Despite that, he knew the older was aware of him crying in bed but merely stayed quiet as he occasionally went over to his bed and patted his back before going to sleep. Jungkook didn't want to talk about his feelings, and Jin respected that.

“Ji!” He heard Taehyung call her name out and in the corner of his eye, he saw them embracing for a brief hug as she smiled at Taehyung with those crinkling eyes - the sparkly brown orbs which he had missed staring into. With every ounce of energy left in him, he walked past her as an aching pain washed through his body.

“Hi Tae.” She smiled when he approached her. She could see Jungkook walking away and even though she was disappointed, a part of her was relieved - her heart could finally calm down.

“What are you doing for Christmas this year?” He asked excitedly and the girl stayed silent. Christmas was definitely her favourite season - the sparkly Christmas lights, the smell of new Christmas trees, snow, spending time with her loved ones - the season was magical and she loved every single bit of it. But she didn’t know if she was in the best mood to celebrate it this year.

“I’m not sure.” She shrugged as they walked towards the stage together and Taehyung turned towards her, “Well, leave the day for me. We’re making plans.” He said and the girl looked surprised, “Where are we going?” She asked and he kept a finger to his lips, “It’s a secret, you will find out on Christmas day.” He merely said before running onstage for the performance, leaving Jihyun dumbfounded.

She looked at her calendar - it was 5 days to Christmas.

--

It was finally the weekend and Jihyun decided it was time to get out of the house for some fresh air and Christmas shopping. Lacing up Junghyun’s shoes and putting on her padded coat, the two bade goodbye to Mrs. Kim as they exited into the cold streets.

As the bus travelled further into the city centre, the bustle of people around Myeongdong lifted her spirits slightly, and Junghyun looked ecstatic to see the Christmas lights lit up. Entering into the third toy store for the day, Jihyun finally agreed to buy the dollhouse which Junghyun had been eyeing on for the past day as the young girl clutched onto the bag tightly with a huge smile. 

“Ji?” A voice called out and she swung her head to find a masked man in a black outfit. Even though his eyes were covered by his baseball cap, she could instantly recognize his voice anywhere.

“Jungkook?” She whispered as her heart started beating wildly against her chest while the boy nodded as he closed the gap between the two. Turning his attention to Junghyun, he squatted to her level, “Uncle Jungkook!” She cheered happily and Jungkook was silently glad that the toy store was bustling with screams and joy from the kids.

“Hey cutie, how have you been?” Jungkook asked and carried the young girl in his arms while she placed her arms around his neck. “I missed you, Uncle Jungkook!”

Chuckling, he ruffled her hair and turned to Jihyun who was staring at him with an expressionless face. His face instantly fell and she cleared awkwardly, “What are you doing here?”

The memories that day came rushing back to her like it happened yesterday. Her heart tightened and her breath quickened as she felt her eyes stinging - tears threatening to fall. No, she couldn’t cry - she was in a public place and Junghyun was right there next to her.

“I… I wanted to get Junghyun a Christmas gift.” He said and Junghyun widened her eyes in excitement, “Yay! Uncle Jungkook is the best!”

Seeing Jungkook up close after what had happened wasn’t the best idea. She could still feel her heart aching when she saw his face, and she hated how he acted like nothing had happened between them.

“What did you buy for me, Uncle Jungkook?” Junghyun asked curiously, unaware of the tension between Jungkook and her mother. “I will give it to you when Christmas arrives.” He said coyly as he held up the silver bag in his hands, gaining a wide smile from the young girl. “I can’t wait!”

“Do you want to grab a cup of coffee?” Jungkook asked as he turned his attention to Jihyun with anticipation, while the girl merely took Junghyun from him. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, your girlfriend might not like it.”

Jungkook stayed silent. She was right, he made a choice - and now he had to suffer the consequences.

“Ji, I-I… please know that I’ve never meant to hurt you.” He said with sorrowful eyes and the girl could feel her heart soften. “I want ice cream, eomma.” She tugged at her arms and Jihyun squatted down to her level, “Baby, it’s too cold for ice cream.”

Jungkook saw his chance.

“Junghyun, I know a nearby place that sells really nice strawberry ice cream!” He cooed and Junghyun’s eyes lit up. “I want strawberry ice cream!” She cheered and Jihyun sighed in defeat. Jungkook knew how to get his way, and Jihyun hated it.

She could barely say anything before Junghyun held onto Jungkook’s hands and skipped out of the store happily, while the boy merely shot a small smile towards Jihyun before heading out into the crowds as she followed behind.

Settling down at a nearby ice cream store, the three nestled into a booth at the back of the store - away from the crowds.

“Strawberry for Junghyun,” Jungkook said as he handed the cone to the young girl as she took it excitedly, “And your favourite chocolate.” He said as he held out the other cone to Jihyun while she reached out slowly, the tip of their fingers touching as she felt a buzz of electricity jolt through her body, “Thanks.”

Jihyun was thankful that Junghyun was there to break the silence, as she continued talking animatedly to Jungkook, telling him about school. She tried to think of something to say, but her thoughts were awry and she could barely think straight in his presence.

“And then, I told Sohee that Uncle Jungkook and Uncle Tae Tae are Junghyun’s friends but she didn’t believe me! She started telling our classmates that I was lying!” Junghyun complained to Jungkook while Jihyun widened her eyes in surprise - she never knew about this.

“Junghyun, did your classmates bully you?” Jihyun asked worriedly while Junghyun shook her head, “Nope! I stood up to them and said that I will bring Uncle Jungkook and Uncle Tae Tae to them one day.” She continued her cone happily and turned to Jungkook, “Uncle Jungkook, can you and Uncle Tae Tae come to my end of year talent show? I want to perform on stage with you!” She said excitedly and the boy looked taken aback.

Jihyun let out a sigh as she interjected, “Junghyun, Uncle Tae Tae and Uncle Jungkook are busy. Eomma will rehearse for your talent show with you, okay?” She asked with hopeful eyes and her daughter squinted at her, “But Eomma… you fell that day when you tried to dance.” Junghyun said innocently while Jungkook stifled his laughter as Jihyun shot a glare towards him. “Yah.”

“Anyway, Uncle Tae Tae and Uncle Jungkook don't have time, okay? Eomma will do it with you.” Jihyun cooed and Junghyun pouted in response.

“I will be there.” Jungkook said all of a sudden as Junghyun and Jihyun shot their heads towards him, “You will?!” They both shrieked at the same time, earning glances from the nearby table while Jungkook kept his head down and nodded. “I will.”

“I will ask the other members too.” Jungkook continued and Jihyun widened her eyes, “You don’t have to! It’s too troublesome and it’s going to attract unwanted attention.” Jungkook could tell that Junghyun looked disappointed, and he held out a hand to caress her hair, “It’s going to be fine, I’ll make sure of that.” He said with a firm smile and Jihyun shook her head.

“You don’t have to do this. You don’t owe us anything, and I don’t want your girlfriend to get the wrong idea.” Jihyun said and Jungkook’s face fell as he stayed silent for a couple of minutes.

“I’m doing this for Junghyun.” Jihyun could hear the determination in his voice and she decided to leave it as that - Jeon Jungkook was stubborn as a mule when it came to things he had decided on.

“Promise?” Junghyun asked as she held out her pinky finger towards Jungkook. “I promise.” He said with a smile as he hooked onto her pinky.

“Don’t promise her if you’re not going to keep it, Jungkook.” She said spitefully and Jungkook’s face held a solemn expression - he knew he deserved her harsh words. He looked at her, and her face was cold and sad - just like how he left her the day he made his choice.

--

“That’s crazy, Jungkook.” RM said when he heard of Jungkook’s suggestion to attend Junghyun’s school, and even perform. “It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter