Joohyun's leap

Proustian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Habang pinapasadahan ni Joohyun ang bawat talata, istruktura ng mga salita at kabanata ng mga isinulat ni Jennie, naalala niya ang karanasan ng pinsan niya sa Amerika. Older than her by a year, her Ate Tiffany and her family migrated to the US when the latter was only 8 years old. She remembers her Ate Tiffany telling her then that their parents never taught them the Filipino language, believing that it will help them immerse better in America if they only speak proficient English.

Joohyun always sensed that Tiffany felt a combination of confusion and guilt over that - by wanting to appear more American, to be a more acceptable version of themselves to the society they're part of in the US, they have to erase another part of who they are - the part of them that is Filipino.

Nung natapos na ang libro ni Jennie, pinagtulong-tulungan nila Joohyun, Joy, Wendy, Lisa, Rosé na ma-distribute widely ang digital format nito. They made a website as well as social media accounts to promote and share it.

But Joohyun wanted to do more. 

She reached out to her Ate Tiffany, who's now a kindergarten teacher in San Francisco. 

"Ate Tiffany, remember the book I sent you - the one in digital format? Any chance you can read that to your pupils?
"I was already planning to do so, actually, Joohyun. It fits right into our lesson of diversity and kindness."

Joohyun was delighted by that. But 2-3 days of reading the book and discussing it will not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter