A Different Shift

Finding Love One Afternoon

Baekhyun rushes to his family coffee shop, it's not his normal shift as today is Saturday and he's normally completing his assignments. Luhan his older brother by Severn years, had messaged him late last night begging for his help. Luhan, had begged him to cover the only hour shift his brother still insists to do! 

 

According to his brother, someone gave him the heads up that someone named Oh Sehun, has a crush and casually advised Sehun works with the CEO at his new fancy HR job. The one at the new law firm C and J Law associates, it's been made famous for outing an entertainment firms diabolical contracts they force on idols. This Oh Sehun,  Luhan feels is way out of his league,  Baekhyun had agreed to help as its not often Luhan asks for his help and Baekhyun would do anything for his brother. Luhan is constantly jumping to his defence, Baekhyhun hates that even though he is almost 21 and at university he so cruelly tormented. Luhan still jumps in to protect him even against Baekhyun's so called fellow students. Ones that would rather bully him for being deaf,  then try and see the man underneath the disability. 

 

Baekhyun stops outside the cafe his parents own and run, and stares at his reflection! He can see his petite frame is dwarfed and hidden under the massive blue hoodie he threw on an hour ago, the blue of his hoodie contrasts against his freshly washed un-styled curly rich red hair. He tilts his head slightly, and watches with fascination as the light reflects his almost glass like luminous skin. He doesn't need the glasses that cover his bright blue eyes, he just feels safe and slightly more protected with them. Baekhyun is eternally grateful he was blessed with the good skin his mama has, one less thing to be bullied over.

 

Baekhyun closes his eyes, his right hand instantly rising to tug at his right ear in a nervous action, against the phantom feels of a cochlear implant from his early teens. The memories of his earlier years flood his mind, the stares he would get when he first starts school, swiftly turned to cruel words, words in to pushes and shoves! He reaches his hand further under his hair line he phantom feels of a cochlear implant from his early teens is still present.

 

As a teenager he begged to have the blasted instrument removed, he didn't hear any better anyway, his parents agreed provided he carried a palm pilot to aid him, and learned to lip read. Said palm pilot that doubled as his communication, which was often snatched before finally being trodden on in front of him! It was the last straw for him and his parents who were heartbroken over their full of life son become so withdrawn. Baekhyun was promptly taken out of the school and home schooled by private tutors, one who noticed his skill with a paint brush, said tutor still acts as his mentor and secured his art scholarship to SNU, a dream he never thought would come true. 

 

Taking a deep breath and gently shaking his head, he opens the door to Café Paradise, the smell of fresh brewed coffee and his dad's famous pastries instantaneously assault his senses, he looks around the still deserted café. The high gloss white tiles that form the counter are glistening, the coffee machines are already switched on, and row upon row of sweet treats line the open face cabinet.

 

Baekhyun can't help but smile as his eyes land on the rainforest mural he completed for his parents, it encompasses the whole back wall of the café. A velvet flamingo pink bench sits below it, complete with a line of rose gold tables. The gold paint he used for the toucan's beaks glimmer in the early morning sunlight, and make for striking features against the moss and lime green colours he used for the banana leafs, and blistering oranges of the birds of paradise flowers he painted freehand.

 

He almost jumps out of his skin, when he feels a  presence behind him, turning quickly he comes face to face with the kind eyes and smiles of his mum, her hands start to move as he lips reaps "Where is Luhan?" Wanting to respond he starts to move his hands in swift fluid motions explaining why, Luhan messaged me late last night to cover his shift, something about a secret admirer! Baekhyun smiles as his mother rolls her eyes, before placing a hand on his cheek "That boy, he really should just let me fill his hours with a new server, your essay is it finished, if it's not you can head home?" Yes mum, I finished it last night, and yes I am ok being here I can work out the back with dad.  "Baekie, you burnt the last tray of almond croissants, I tell you what why don't you make the coffees, your always taste better and get the best compliments.

 

Baekhyun's eyes widen at the sudden realisation he may have to come face to face with the Instagram vloggers who like to come here! It's the main reason he doesn't work a Saturday, years of torment have left him shy and afraid people will judge him and think it rude when he doesn't respond. "Baekhyun honey calm down, the large crowds won't come until later." Both he and his mum jump out of their skins, when the door to the café opens and in walks an Adonis of a man, one that causes Baekhyun's heartbeat to stop! 

 

Hello lovely readers, here's a little bit of background about Baekhyun:( I know so sad! 

 

Did I make it clear enough with the italics that Baekhyhun is using sign language? 

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol's first meeting is up next, once I have it written  and finished that is, please bare with me. I promise it will be longer:)