Chapter Eight

When We Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Actor Kwak Siyang was spotted with the KGC President Kim Yongsun

 

Actor Kwak Siyang and the KGC President Kim Yongsun were spotted having lunch together in one of the tteokbokki restaurants that the actor owned. Rumors that the two are dating are already spreading after a photo of the two was posted on the internet by one of the customers in the restaurant at that time. Witnesses also said that the actor hugged and kissed the president’s cheek goodbye before he walked her to her car.

However, during the press conference of Kwak Siyang's new TV series, the actor denied the rumor right away. Kwak Siyang said that he and the KGC President were not dating and that they were just working together for a magazine photoshoot. He also said that he invited Kim Yongsun to dine in his restaurant, as well as the rest of the staff that they were working with for the photoshoot.

 

I gently knocked on the door before I turned the door knob and slowly opened the door. I smiled when I saw Mom on her usual seat in front of the television. She’s supposed to be having lunch at this time but I requested the nurses if I could bring food for my Mom so we could eat lunch together instead.

“Mom…” I called to her as I closed the door behind me.

“Hello… How can I help you?”

It’s the same question she’d ask of me every time I visit. I should get used to it, but I’m not. I would never get used to it. Mom has always been affectionate to me. She would always smile at me and hug me. She’s always proud of the things that I achieved even though I didn’t achieve so much in life.

She taught me to be kind, polite, and content always though. She said that being able to be those things all the time is an achievement already. She told me to dream big but never let my head get big. And also to appreciate every little thing around us. Appreciation and contentment is the key to humility. That’s what she always said.

We might not have much in life but she always provides all the things I need. I’m happy having my Mom around. And she’s happy and proud of what I’ve become.

I missed seeing the smile that would automatically appear on her face when she sees me. I want to see the pride in her eyes just to reassure myself that I’m doing good in life. That’s why it saddens me every time there’s indifference and unfamiliarity in her eyes when I visit her.

I walked closer to her and placed the paper bag on the table beside the couch before I crouched down in front of her. I held her hands and smiled so wide at her. “Mom… It’s me. It’s Wheein. Can you remember me? Can you recognize me?”

She scanned her eyes on my face while I held the smile on my lips even though I’m worried that she might not be able to identify me. I squeezed her hands while her eyebrows furrowed from concentration.

I pointed at my dimple and asked, “Can you recognize my dimple, Mom? It’s Wheein. I’m your daughter.” When there’s still confusion on her face, I let go of her hand and raised the sleeves of my hoodie to show to her my butterfly tattoo. I gulped hard and tried not to panic. “I’m your butterfly, Mom. It’s Wheein. I’m your daughter” I whispered softly while my heart started to beat louder in my chest.

“Daughter?”

“Yes” I said, almost shouting at her. I showed my dimple to her again and pointed at it while still holding my arm up. “I’m your daughter. I’m Wheein, Mom”

“Wheein?” she asked, her eyebrows furrowing more.

“Yes, Mom. It’s Wheein. I’m Wheein. I’m your daughter. Mom…” I whispered, stopping when I felt a huge lump on my throat as my voice broke. I breathed deeply and continued to smile at her.

I held my breath and watched her touch my arm as she stared at my tattoo. Then she looked at my face again and stared right into my eyes. She cupped my cheeks while I held her wrists right away, not wanting her to let go of me yet.

“Wheein…”

“Mom…”

I closed my eyes when I saw her leaning forward to me. I sighed in relief when I felt her soft kiss on my forehead.

“My baby is so big now. How are you, sweetie?”

I wrapped my arms around her waist and pushed my face to her neck. I hugged my Mom tightly as I breathed deeply, relieved that Mom still knows, remembers, and recognizes me. “I’m doing fine, Mom. I’m doing really great.” I pulled away from her neck to smile at her.

She cupped my cheeks again and kissed my forehead. “That’s good to know. I like seeing you healthy. I’m glad that you are”

I kissed her palms before I stood up and grabbed the paper bag I placed on the table. “I asked Miss Park if I could bring you lunch today. She allowed me so I cooked a lot for you. If you can’t finish them, we could give some to the nurses that are taking care of you here.” I started pulling out containers and placed them all on the table in front of Mom.

“You made all of these?”

“Of course. You should taste all of them first. I followed the recipe you told me before but I’m not so sure if I was able to cook them like how you cooked them for me.” I passed the utensils to Mom before I placed the paper bag on the side. Then I opened all the containers one by one. I sat beside Mom on the couch as I watched her taste all the food I brought to her. She was just silently eating so I sat nervously beside her while my eyes tried to study all her reactions.

“How was it?” I asked, nervously fidgeting on the rings on my finger as I stared at Mom expectantly.

She smiled so wide and nodded at me before she said, “They’re all good.” She passed me a set of chopsticks and said, “Here, you should try them. Your cooking has really improved, sweetie. I’m proud of you”

I smiled wide and hugged Mom while she laughed softly at me. “I’m learning how to bake too but I think I haven’t perfected them yet. Remember when I told you about Mrs. Lee? I haven’t visited her yet so I wasn’t sure if I’m doing it right or not. I’ll bring some breads to you if I think they’re good”

“Why don’t you bring some to me the next time you visit? They don’t have to be perfect, Wheein”

“But I don’t want you to feel sick if they don’t taste good”

She laughed at me as she patted my shoulder. “I’m sure they’re good. Let’s eat already. I’m getting hungrier from the smell of the food” she said while I chuckled softly and nodded at her.

We gave some food to the nurse that checked on Mom while we’re in the middle of lunch. Miss Park passed by Mom’s room too and we invited her to have lunch with us. I also packed some food and went to Mr. Cho to give him some too. Miss Kim said she won’t be out working today so Mr. Cho is with me the whole time. He refused to get in Mom’s room though so he stayed by the car as he waited for me.

When we were done eating lunch, I cleaned Mom’s room and placed all the containers back in the paper bag.

“How’s your work, sweetie?”

“You remember who I’m working for, Mom?” I asked her as I sat beside her on the couch again. “You remember Miss Kim? You could see her on TV a lot. You know her, right?”

“The one with the pretty smile?” Mom asked while I smiled and nodded at her.

“You remember my work for her?” I whispered softly, constantly glancing at the door in case someone would knock on it and feeling conscious that someone might hear us. “I’m working as her wife. That we’re in a pretend marriage”

“Yeah… Yeah… I remember that. She’s taking care of you?”

“She is, Mom. She’s taking care of me and you so much”

“She must’ve tasted your cooking already if you are in a pretend marriage with her”

I shook my head and slightly frowned at her. “We don’t need to pretend when we’re inside her house”

I wanted to cook for Miss Kim. She doesn’t allow me though. She’d either leave really early in the morning or just drink coffee before she left for work. At night, she’d come back to the house really late as well. All I could offer her was my milk but sometimes, she prefers to drink her wine.

My phone suddenly rang, cutting my conversation with my Mom. I reached for it in my pocket and saw Atty. Park calling me, which is weird because after I gave her all my documents for me and Miss Kim’s marriage, she never called me anymore. I could only receive calls from Hyejin and Miss Kim, mostly from Hyejin.

“Hello, Atty. Park. Is there something wrong?” I said, unconsciously bending my head in a small bow while I stood up and walked away from Mom’s TV.

“Where are you right now, Wheein?”

I gulped hard, starting to feel nervous when I heard the urgency in her voice. “I’m with my Mom, Atty. Park”

“Yongsun. Is she with you?”

“No, Atty. Park. She was in the house when I left earlier. Is there something wrong?”

“Can I ask you a favor, Wheein?”

I gulped hard once again, my nervousness worsening. These people could easily get what they want, so I don’t know what I could give to her that she wanted from me right now. But by hearing Atty. Park’s voice, she sounded desperate, almost begging me to say yes to her. I don’t know what Atty. Park wanted from me, but it might have something to do with Miss Kim for Atty. Park to ask Miss Kim’s whereabouts from me.

“What is it, Atty. Park?”

“Can you look for Yongsun for me? I’m supposed to stay with her right now but I had an emergency. I couldn’t get a hold of her. Please… Wheein. I’ll pay you since this is out of your contract”

“No need to pay me, Atty. Park. May I know what happened?” I asked as I walked back to the couch and slang my bag on my shoulders again.

“I couldn’t tell you that. If you found her, stay with her. Just be with her and don’t leave her”

Why are there so many secrets?

“Okay, Atty. Park. I’ll try my best” I said to her before she thanked me and ended the call right away. I placed my phone in my bag and picked up the paper bag with the containers. “I have to go, Mom. I don’t know what happened but I have to look for Miss Kim.” I hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek.

“Something happened to Miss Kim?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know if something even happened. I’ll visit as soon as I can, okay?”

“I know. I’ll see you, sweetie. Take care of yourself always” Mom said before she kissed my forehead.

“I will, Mom. You too. I love you” I waved goodbye at her before I walked out of the room. I just bowed and waved goodbye at Miss Park before I hurriedly walked out of the facility. Mr. Cho was surprised when he saw me jogging back to the car. He opened the door right away while he stared at me worriedly. I bowed at him before I climbed inside the car. I placed the paper bag on the floor of the car before I fastened my seatbelt.

“Is there something wrong, Miss Jung?” Mr. Cho asked the moment he got inside the car.

“I don’t know yet but we have to go back to the house as soon as we can, Mr. Cho. Atty. Park told me to look for Miss Kim but didn’t tell me if something happened to her. Do you know what happened to her, Mr. Cho? Did something bad happen to Miss Kim?” I asked him as I gripped my seatbelt and moved restlessly on my seat from nervousness.

“I don’t know either, Miss Jung”

“Do you know why Miss Kim didn’t go to work today? It’s odd Mr. Cho. She always goes to work on weekdays and mostly on weekends too. Today’s Thursday and she said she won’t be working today. Was she tired? Was she sick? I should’ve checked on her before we left but I’m scared to ask too many questions to Miss Kim. Do you know why, Mr. Cho?” I rambled.

My eyes moved everywhere inside and outside of the car as I tried to recall if Miss Kim looked sick this morning. She didn’t look sick. She looked tired. She looked very tired this morning. Maybe she took a day off so she could rest. But there were times that she still went to work even when she’s so tired.

I stopped moving when I realized how Mr. Cho got silent. I know I asked him so many questions but Mr. Cho could keep up with my nervousness and rambles. This is the first time that he wasn’t answering any of my questions. He’s not obliged to do so, but it’s odd that he ignored all of my questions.

I stopped moving and glanced at Mr. Cho through the rearview mirror. His eyes were right on the road only. My eyes nervously bounced at his eyes on the rearview mirror and at the back of his head. “Mr. Cho?” I whispered softly.

“I’m sorry. I couldn’t say anything, Miss Jung”

I pouted at him before I whined, “That’s what Atty. Park said also. What am I supposed to expect? What am I supposed to do? What if Miss Kim is hurt? How would I prepare for later? How am I supposed to find her?”

“I’m sorry, Miss Jung”

I closed my eyes and groaned loudly as I leaned back on my seat. I respect Miss Kim’s privacy so much. If they don’t want me to know, I’m okay with that. It’s just that they want me involved now. How can I be of help if I have no clue at all?

“Can you at least tell me if you think Miss Kim is okay? You’re allowed to say that, right?

Mr. Cho glanced at me through the rearview mirror, unsure if he should say something or not.

“You’re not go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter