Chapter One

When We Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Famous Singer Eric Nam is Rumored to be dating the Youngest Successful Businesswoman Kim Yongsun

It was previously mentioned by the singer Eric Nam that his ideal type of a woman is the most wanted bachelorette Kim Yongsun, the current president of the Kim Group of Companies. A waitress working at Apollo Towers, one of the many famous hotels owned by the Kim family, gave information that she spotted the alleged couple dining together in the Apollo Towers restaurant. However, no confirmation yet was given from both parties.

Eric Nam would join the line of Kim Yongsun’s suitors, which include another famous singer Henry Lau, and actors Yoo Seungho and Kwak Siyang. Up to this date, the KGC President, Kim Yongsun, has been silent about these rumors and her response to her growing lineup of suitors.

 

I blindly patted my bed to look for my phone and stop my alarm. I groaned from frustration when all I could touch was my sheets. I continued to groan and search for my phone without opening my eyes. When I finally felt something hard on my sheets, I grabbed it right away and pulled it closer to me. I cracked an eye open before I turned my alarm off. My gaze landed on the day on my phone screen.

Saturday

I dropped my phone and closed my eyes again before I sighed heavily. I counted to ten in my head, giving myself ten more seconds of rest. Then I rolled on my back and lifted my really heavy eyelids. I rubbed my palms on my face, groaning loudly when my body still ached for more rest and sleep.

I dropped my arms on my side and stared at the ceiling. I counted to ten again before I finally sat up. I brushed my fingers through my hair a couple times before I pushed the blanket off my body. Then I stood up and folded my blanket before I folded my mattress and placed them by the wall, together with my pillows.

I walked to my kitchen space and started running water from the faucet into the kettle. Once filled with water, I placed the kettle on the portable stove. Then I turned the stove on to heat up some water.

I headed to the bathroom next to shower. From the kitchen space, it would only take me four steps, three if I’d make it really big, to reach the bathroom. In those three to four steps, I would pass by my mattress, pillows, and blanket that I placed by the wall and my small cabinet that stored all my clothes and shoes. To put it simply, I’m living in the cheapest apartment I could rent. It’s small but it would do. I have my own bathroom here, which I think is a good deal already.

Inside the bathroom, I looked at myself through the mirror. Heavy eye bags were weighing down below my eyes. When I placed my palms on my cheeks, I could feel how I’ve significantly got thinner these past few months. Every time I moved my lips, it would hurt because of how cracked my lips are.

Mom won’t be happy if she sees me like this.

I sighed heavily before I moved away from the mirror. I removed all my clothes and placed them in the laundry basket. Then I walked under the shower and reached for the faucet. I tensed my shoulder, closed my eyes, and held my breath, bracing for the cold water before I turned the shower on.

My body immediately shivered when the cold water hit me. My nails instantly turned to a shade of purplish blue from the cold. I turned the shower off when I’m drenched enough before I reached a shaking hand to the soap. I halfheartedly rubbed the soap on my body, doing it as fast as I could so I would be out of the cold water right away.

I hurriedly rinsed the soap all over my body before I grabbed the towel and dried myself. I wrapped the towel around my body before I headed out to change. I put on clean jeans and a shirt. I headed back to the bathroom and hung my towel. I walked to the mirror again and combed my hair, making sure that my bangs didn’t look like a mess on my face.

When I heard the kettle hissing, I dropped the comb on the sink and glanced at my face. I couldn’t hide my eyebags but my Mom might not notice it if I smile a lot at her. My hair looks perfect as well.

I walked to my kitchen space and opened a cup of instant noodles. I turned the stove off and poured hot water on my noodles. I grabbed a piece of banana and ate it while I waited for my noodles to cook. I threw the banana peel in the trash bin and proceeded to eat my noodles, which served as my breakfast.

I placed my phone in my bag and checked if I have my wallet and keys inside there. Then I headed out of my apartment to visit my Mom.

I rushed to the nearby bus stop, knowing that I won’t make it if I’d take my time walking from the apartment building to the bus station. I was already breathing heavily after a few seconds of running.

“Wait!” I shouted and ran faster when I saw the bus was already there. Taking a taxi would be convenient but it would be expensive as well. I couldn’t afford that.

Heavy huffs of air were coming out of me as I climbed inside the bus. I grabbed my wallet from my bag and pulled out my bus card. I pouted when it denied my card. I forgot that my card has been empty since last week. I hurriedly pulled out cash from my wallet when an angry passenger told me to go down if I couldn’t pay for my fare. I placed the cash inside the box and just dumped my card and wallet in my bag, too nervous to stay longer near the driver.

The driver offered me a soft smile while I shyly nodded at him and mumbled, “Sorry”

I walked to the very end of the bus, my head bent low from the gazes thrown at me. I sat on the very end corner in the bus before I wiped the sweat on my forehead with the back of my arm before I fixed my bangs. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back before I sighed heavily.

One thing I learned was that your life could change overnight. I used to remember people calling my name out loud and complimenting me. I used to remember the feeling of adrenaline coursing through my body when we sing and play our own music.

I don’t get to do that now. I do get to sing and play music, but it’s different now. It’s totally different now.

I walked to the very front of the bus and thanked the driver before I climbed out of the bus. I checked my reflection on my phone screen to see if I’m still sweating or if my bangs are in disarray. I nodded my head in satisfaction before I pocketed my phone and headed to the nursing home.

“Good morning” I greeted the nurse by the reception desk.

“Good morning, Wheein. Here to visit your mother again?” Miss Park asked, giving me a huge smile always.

I smiled back at her as I nodded. “Yes, Miss Park”

“You’re always formal. I’ve been telling you to just call me Dara”  Miss Park insisted while I shyly shook my head at her. She chuckled softly as she handed me a form. “You know this already”

“Yes, miss” I whispered as I grabbed the pen from her and filled out the form. I handed the form back to Miss Park again before I bowed at her and headed to my Mom’s room.

“Wheein…” Miss Park called out to me before I could move further away from the reception desk. I turned to her right away and raised my eyebrows at her, thinking that I must’ve missed something in the form. “Come back here after you finished talking with your mother, okay? I need to discuss something with you” Miss Park gently said, frowning a little at me.

I gulped hard while my heart pounded hard, knowing already what she wanted to talk about. I nodded at her while she smiled at me again. I could never smile back at her anymore. I bowed at her again when she told me that I could now go to my Mom.

I sighed heavily and bent my head low as I walked through the hallways of the nursing home while chewing the inside of my cheek. I could feel the pressure in my chest slowly building up as I walked further in the hallways.

When I reached my Mom’s room, I just stood outside and took a couple of breaths to calm myself down. She doesn’t need to see me getting nervous or frowning. The heavy bags under my eyes were already undesirable. It would worsen if she’d see me looking so unhappy.

I breathed deeply one last time before I gulped hard. I softly knocked on the door and prepared a smile on my face before I pushed the door open.

Mom was sitting on the couch like where I would always find her every time I visit. She’s facing the television with a smile on her face, which made me smile wider. It’s always a habit of her to watch television. She enjoys it so much and I’m glad that she still enjoys it until now.

“Mom… “ I called out to her as I closed the door behind me.

She glanced towards my direction and sat up when she saw me. She lifted the remote control and lowered the volume down before she faced me again. She smiled at me as she said, “Hello. How can I help you?”

My smile faltered a little bit but I regained my composure right away. I slowly moved towards her as I said, “It’s me, Mom. It’s Wheein.” I smiled bigger and pointed at the only dimple on my face as I asked, “You recognized the dimple? I’m your daughter”

Her smile went away as she furrowed her eyebrows at me. I held my breath while she stared at me, waiting to see if she’d finally recognize me.

“Wheein?” she asked, encouraging me to move closer to her.

I walked closer to the couch and nodded at her, my smile still in place so she could see my dimple. “Yes, Mom. It’s Wheein. I’m your daughter”

Her eyes went to my dimple and stayed there for a few seconds before she stared at my face again. I smiled bigger when I could see that she had finally recognized me. She smiled at me again while she reached both of her hands to cup my cheeks. “Wheein? Wheein? Is this my baby girl now? You’ve grown so big already” she said while I smiled wider, sighing in relief that she could still recognize me. Her eyebrows suddenly furrowed again as she frowned at me. “You looked so tired and thin, sweetie. Have you been eating well?”

I held her hands and nodded at her. Then I moved forward and hugged her before I pushed my face on her neck and closed my eyes. “I’m doing great, Mom. Don’t worry about me” I whispered before I felt my Mom’s arms around me. I hid my face because I don’t know how to look at her when I lied.

I broke the hug and smiled at her again. I moved to sit beside her on the couch and linked my arms around hers before I leaned my head on her shoulder. I closed my eyes and sighed in content before I asked her, “How have you been doing, Mom? Are they taking care of you here?”

“You know I could perfectly take care of myself. Why do I have to stay here?” she asked, feeling irritated once again every time we talked about this topic.

“You’ll be safe here. They have all the things you need in here like your medication, Mom. I might not be able to watch you because I have to go to work” I explained carefully. “You know I visit you all the time so you could see me more often. Are the nurses giving you a hard time?”

My Mom sighed before I felt her pat my head and brushed her fingers carefully on my hair. “The nurses are really great. They’re probably the only reason why I could stay here”

I kissed her cheek before I laid my head on her shoulder again. “That’s good to know”

Mom was diagnosed with dementia. When I found out about it, it ultimately changed my life overnight. Mr. Do, who used to be my drum teacher, found my Mom with a knife wound and was bleeding heavily in their neighborhood. He rushed my mother to the hospital and called me about it. By the time I got there, Mom was doing okay already but the doctor told me that Mom was has dementia.

I thought everything would be okay. My Mom still looked healthy despite the loss of blood that night. Then she couldn’t recognize me in one glance. Her condition was worsening because now, she’s having a hard time recognizing me already. The doctor said it was a little bit too early for my Mom to have dementia, but it was probably because of the stress she experienced. She had to work hard for the two of us to live. Now, it’s my time to work hard for both of us to live.

I visited her as much as I could on the weekdays but I wouldn’t always forget to visit her on the weekends. I don’t want to wake up one day with my Mom not being able to recognize me. I don’t want to reach that point.

When it was time for my Mom’s morning activities to retain her cognitive function, I bid farewell to her and promised to come back tomorrow. I dreaded to see Miss Park again but I had to. I timidly walked to the reception desk again and bowed at her when I was already standing in front of her.

“Hello, Wheein. Is Mrs. Jung doing fine?” Miss Park asked, delaying the discussion.

I nodded at her as I said, “Yes. She said she liked the nurses in here.“ I bowed at her again as I said, “Thank you for taking care of my mother”

“It’s our pleasure, Wheein. Your mother is one of our best patients in the facility” she said before she sighed heavily. “Listen, Wheein. If I could find a way, I would love to help you but it’s the company’s rules. The money you’ve been giving to us is not enough anymore to cover your Mom’s stay here and her medicines. You have been paying but it’s not enough anymore. You still have about thirty thousand to pay”

“Please don’t pull out my Mom, Miss Park” I whispered softly as I begged her.

“We’re not pulling your mother. Not yet. But if you couldn’t pay in three days, I’m afraid we have to. I’m sorry, Wheein” Miss Park whispered softly while I fought against my tears not to fall.

“Three days?!” I exclaimed, feeling helpless already. How would I conjure thirty thousand dollars in my hands within three days? “That’s too short, Miss Park. Can’t they give me more time? Please…” I whispered softly before I bit my bottom lip to stop myself from crying.

Mr. Do helped me with Mom’s first month's expenses in the nursing home. I’ve transferred to a smaller apartment. I’ve sold all our appliances. I even sold my drum kit to pay for Mom’s medical expenses. I’ve worked four different kinds of jobs every single day but I still couldn’t cover it. I could barely sleep and function anymore. I don’t know how many jobs I could take just to produce thirty thousand dollars on my hands right away.

I’m one second away from selling myself and doing something illegal. I’m one second away from robbing a bank or somewhere with lots of money. I’m really desperate right now. I’d rather suffer than my Mom suffer. I couldn’t lose my Mom. I’d rather lose myself than lose my Mom.

“I’m sorry, Wheein. There’s really nothing I could do” Miss Park whispered as she frowned at me.

I closed my eyes and sighed heavily before I tried to smile at Miss Park. I bowed at her as I whispered, “Thank you, Miss Park. I’ll see what I could do. Please don’t pull out my Mom yet. I’ll find a way”

I turned around right away and exited the nursing home. When I was already out of the facility, I ran really fast. I ran as far as possible with no destination in mind. I ran really hard until my legs hurt and lungs gave up. I ran until the tears on my face would stop falling. I ran because I have nothing else to do. I don’t know what I should do anymore.

When it was impossible for me to move at all, I leaned a hand on a random post and leaned a hand on my knee as I bent forward. My mouth hung open while I breathed really hard. I could see my sweat coming from my chin and dropping on the ground.

I coughed from the sudden dryness of my throat while I continued to breathe heavily. I wiped my forehead with the back of my arm, ruining the bangs I fixed earlier. I closed my eyes and leaned my body on the post and tried to bring back oxygen to my lungs while my legs quivered and were about to give up.

“Wheein?”

I ran my tongue on my lips, trying to wet them with my thickening saliva from dehydration, before I gulped hard. I breathed heavily one more time and cleared my throat as I tried to stand straight. I opened my eyes and saw a familiar face I haven’t seen for a long time now. She looked in a better position than I am. Maybe I should’ve gone with her at that time and went to college instead of pursuing music. But we have our own paths now. I’m glad she’s doing good though.

“Wheein? Is that you?” she asked worriedly, her eyebrows scrunching as she took a few steps closer to me.

“Hyejinie…” I struggled to whisper.

“It is you” she said, the worry on her face didn’t go away as she stood in front of me and held my shoulders. “What happened? Why are you so sweaty?” She cupped my cheeks next while I just stared at her and tried to control my breathing. “You looked so thin. Why are you so thin?”

“Hyejinie…” I whispered again b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter