Chapter Four

When We Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Yongsun was allegedly renting an apartment for her Female

 

The KGC President has been spotted many times coming to the same restaurant every night before stopping by in an apartment building before going to her house. In all of those times that the president was spotted out of the vicinity of her work, she was accompanied by the female singer in the restaurant she went to.

The female singer has not been ID'd as of the moment. There are no confirmations as well that the singer is Kim Yongsun’s . Many speculate that Kim Yongsun is secretly dating the female restaurant singer while others strongly denied that the KGC President would never date women.

Most of Eric Nam’s fans are outraged by the KGC President’s actions. They are very adamant that the KGC President and the famous singer were secretly dating, and refused to accept that Kim Yongsun would settle with just a lowly female restaurant singer in comparison to the famous singer Eric Nam.

No statements given yet by Kim Yongsun about this rumor.

 

It has been more than a month since Miss Kim and I kept on seeing each other every night at the restaurant I work for. It was really hard at first to be around her but the more we got to see and talk to each other, the more I was able to adjust with her stares. It even came to a point that I liked how she’s only looking at me when I sing and play the piano, especially when I discovered that her eyes never left me the entire time I was singing. It felt like at that moment, she only sees me. She always compliments me with my singing as well.

I am still intimidated by her. I was able to reach a point where I don’t tremble from fear or my hands don’t sweat from nervousness, but I’m still always cautious around her. I still couldn’t figure out her reactions. Her face is always impassive and only her eyebrows would move.

Despite how scary Miss Kim is, she’s kind to me. She never scolds and raises her voice at me even when I don’t know what I should do or if I make a lot of mistakes. I could even say that she’s gentle and she cares so much about my security and safety.

I asked Hyejin about this one time since she’s been Miss Kim’s personal assistant for years now. She said that Miss Kim is a really good person. She might be misinterpreted for being cold and heartless, but Hyejin said that Miss Kim is not a bad person. She gets mad at the paps, which Hyejin thinks is justifiable, especially if the paps would always overstep.

I thought the same thing too. It’s scary that people are watching your every move, but I praise Miss Kim for being strong and unafraid of her every move. I might cry if I was in her place. I don’t know how to handle that.

Today is different than the previous days. Miss Kim and I won’t just be meeting later at night. We’ll be meeting later today at the nursing home. We’ll be seeing Mom later and explain to her our situation. I don’t know if Mom would remember it but I hope she would.

I walked towards the reception desk and smiled at Miss Park. I bowed at her when I was already standing in front of her before I said, “Good morning, Miss Park”

“Wheein! Hi!” Miss Park greeted me back, waving her hand and smiling wide at me. “Here to visit your mother again?”

“Yes, Miss Park.” I grabbed the form she handed to me and filled it out right away. Then I passed it back to her once I was done but stayed by the reception desk to wait for Miss Kim. I tapped my fingers on the desk, forming a beat in my mind as I slowly nodded my head with the rhythm.

“You could go now, Wheein” Miss Park said, confused why I’m still standing by the reception desk.

“Oh, no. I’m waiting for someone before I’ll meet my Mom, Miss Park” I said to her, smiling so wide when she smiled back at me.

“You seem healthier now, Wheein” she said as she smiled at me amusingly.

“Yes, Miss Park” I said, nodding at her as I smiled back.

With Miss Kim paying me so much and one job for only a few hours, I was able to get plenty of rest and I am eating properly as well. I spent most of my days processing documents that Atty. Park would ask from me or learn things to prepare myself for marrying Miss Kim.

I’ve been wanting to buy a drum kit, a guitar, or a piano of my own. I thought of spending my time creating music but I don’t want to touch the money that Miss Kim sent me. I had to open a bank account because of how much she’s giving me as well, but it felt wrong to touch so much of it. I only use enough money for my groceries and bills. Miss Kim has also even paid the rent on my apartment, so it felt even more wrong to touch the money she gave me when I’m doing so little for her.

“How many times am I supposed to tell you that you don’t have to call me formally, Wheein?” Miss Park said teasingly as she playfully scowled at me.

I giggled softly as I shook my head at her. “It felt wrong,” I said to her.

“Come on. It’s not that we didn’t know each other for a long time now” Miss Park said, slightly pouting at me.

“I know, Miss Park, but it still felt wrong” I said to her as I shook my head, still chuckling softly.

Miss Park has been one of the many friendly nurses in this nursing home. It’s the reason why Mr. Do, my drum teacher, recommended this place for Mom. Everyone’s smiling and approachable, so I’m always assured that Mom is in safe hands.

“Wheein”

I instantly stood straight and dropped my smile when I heard Miss Kim’s voice behind me. I gulped hard as I slowly turned around. With just hearing her voice, I already know she’s mad at me again. She’s not even raising her voice, but I discovered that she has a way of pronouncing her words that would carry her emotion. So far, I could only tell if she’s mad at me since it’s the only thing I’ve learned after seeing Miss Kim a lot of times. When I saw her glaring at me, I gulped hard once again as I confirmed that she’s really mad at me.

“Mi… Ah… Yong” I whispered softly, almost slipping. I slightly bent my head low, hiding my face with the brim of my cap as I breathed deeply and released a shaky breath out before I glanced at her again. “I… Ah…” I stuttered and stopped trying to talk when she walked closer to me.

“You’re early,” she said as she stood beside me.

“I don’t want you to wait in case you came here early” I whispered softly as I tried to read the expression on her face.

“I see…” she whispered softly before she nodded at me. “Should we go to your Mom now?”

“Yeah… Ah… but you need to sign a form first” I said to her and faced Miss Park again.

She eyed the two of us curiously as she handed Miss Kim the form. “You have to fill out the form first before you get to visit the patient, Miss Kim,” Miss Park said to Miss Kim.

I gulped hard as I watched Miss Kim filling out the form. I could feel people’s eyes going to us, making me shrink right beside Miss Kim. At this point, I think we’re supposed to be dating now but I still don’t know what to do so I’m just following Miss Kim’s lead in case I overstep. I don’t want to overstep. I, especially, don’t want to make her mad and this day has already started with her getting mad at me. I don’t know why she’s mad but I know that she is.

Miss Kim passed the form to Miss Park again before she nodded at her. Then she faced me before she said, “Shall we?”

I nodded at her before I bowed at Miss Park. She was still eyeing us curiously and in disbelief. I pointed to Miss Kim the hallway we’re heading to before I started walking. She walked beside me while her head tilted to every side as she scanned the facility.

“Your Mom has been staying here for how many months now?” Miss Kim asked me.

I could feel nurses and other visitors glancing at us every now and then while I tried my best not to cower against their gazes at me. I’ve walked this hallway several times now, but Miss Kim looked more comfortable than I am.

“About six months already” I whispered to her.

“Has she complained about anything here? Does she like it here?”

“She complains every time I visit” I said, smiling softly as I shook my head. “She doesn’t want to stay here because she thinks she’s capable of taking care of herself. But she likes the nurses here. They’re really friendly. It’s the only thing that kept on convincing her to stay”

“Hmm…” Miss Kim hummed beside me.

I glanced at her and saw that she’s already looking at me. I gave her a small smile and nodded at her before I faced ahead and stopped in front of my Mom’s room.

I removed my cap and tried to fix my bangs while I breathed deeply, counting to ten in my head. When I reached ten, I closed my eyes and breathed deeply one last time before I knocked on the door. I reached for the door handle and opened it.

I smiled when I saw Mom smiling at the television like usual. “Mom…” I called out to her softly.

When she saw me, she lowered the volume of the television before she faced me again. “Is there something I could help you with?” she asked me.

My smile faltered a little bit while my heart started to beat faster. I gulped hard as I walked further in the room, leaving the door open for Miss Kim. I smiled so wide again before I softly said, “It’s me, Mom. It’s Wheein. Can’t you remember me?”

Her eyebrows furrowed as she scanned her eyes all over my face. My smile slowly dropped when there’s no sign of recognition on her end.

I moved closer to her and smiled so wide again as I fought against my tears not to show up. I pointed at my dimple and said, “Can’t you recognize the dimple, Mom?”

“You looked just like my daughter,” Mom whispered softly, which gave me a sliver of hope.

I nodded at her as I blinked back my tears and kneeled in front of her. I grabbed her hands and placed them on my cheeks before I whispered, “I’m your daughter, Mom. It’s Wheein. I’m Wheein. Can you remember me? Can you recognize me?”

“Wheein?” she asked while I nodded at her again. She’s even having a harder time recognizing me now. For the past weeks, I came here everyday but that didn’t even help. Her cognitive function is really slipping away.

“Yes, Mom” I whispered softly before I bit the inside of my cheek while I held her hands tightly, trying to pray in my head that she’d recognize me.

“Wheein…” she whispered softly before she caressed her thumbs on my cheeks. “Wheein. Is it you, sweetie?”

“Yes, Mom” I whispered while I stared at her intently, slowly gaining hope.

“Oh, my baby has grown bigger now” Mom said while I immediately wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly, sighing in relief that she finally recognized me. “How are you? You look thinner than before. Have you been eating properly?” she asked worriedly.

I nodded my head on her shoulder and whispered, “I am, Mom. I’m doing really fine.” This time, it’s not a lie anymore. I really am doing fine all because of Miss Kim’s help.

I immediately pulled away from my Mom’s embrace when I remembered that I’m not visiting her alone today. I stood up and glanced at Miss Kim who’s still standing by the door frame. “Please come in, Yong. I’m sorry I forgot that I’m not visiting by myself” I said to her.

“It’s okay” she whispered as she moved inside the room and closed the door behind her.

I faced Mom before I said to her, “Mom, I have someone with me today.” I smiled at my mother before I motioned for Miss Kim to come closer. “Mom, this is Miss Kim. Miss Kim, this is my Mom”

Miss Kim stared at me intently before she glanced at my Mom and bowed at her. “It’s nice to see you, mam”

That’s the first time I’ve seen Miss Kim bowed to someone. I don’t know if I should be happy about it, but I find it really fascinating. I watched her reach a hand to Mom for a handshake, but Mom motioned for Miss Kim to come closer. Miss Kim looked at me, unsure what to do, before she leaned closer to Mom.

Mom suddenly touched Miss Kim. She cupped Miss Kim’s cheeks while I instantly panicked. I know Miss Kim doesn’t want to be touched, but it was too late already so I just stood frozen while I watched both Mom and Miss Kim.

“You look so pretty, sweetie” Mom whispered softly while Miss Kim was frozen in front of Mom.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to find a way to break their contact. I don’t know if I should drop Mom’s hands away from Miss Kim’s cheeks or if I should push Miss Kim away from Mom’s hold. Both options don't feel right at all so I remained feeling anxious while I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt.

“Thank you, mam” Miss Kim said after a few seconds of nothing but silence.

“You have a pretty smile too” Mom said cheerfully, which made me open my eyes so wide.

I slightly leaned to the side and held my breath when Miss Kim was really smiling at Mom. It’s not a huge smile. It was just a small smile. Her lips are significantly curved upward. My eyes widened even more when I discovered that she has dimples right below her lips.

I stared at Mom in disbelief. This is her first meeting with Miss Kim but she managed to make her smile.

I glanced at Miss Kim again. A small smile was forming on my lips as I stared at her. The smile changes so much of her face. It softens the ever present intensity and power in her gaze. It makes her even more beautiful. I like it. I like seeing her smile, but I don’t know if I could do that to her.

“Thank you, mam” Miss Kim said as she slowly stood straight when Mom dropped her hands away from Miss Kim’s cheeks.

Mom tilted her head to the side before she said, “I think I’ve seen you somewhere before. What was your name again, dear?”

“Yongsun. My name’s Kim Yongsun, mam” Miss Kim said, the small smile on her lips seemingly plastered permanent now.

“Yongsun…” Mom whispered softly. “I think I’ve heard that name before.” Mom stared at Miss Kim more before she suddenly smiled so wide as she said, “I’ve seen you on TV before. Do you own hotels and a lot more other things?”

Miss Kim nodded as she said, “I do, mam”

Mom smiled at Miss Kim as she reached for Miss Kim’s hand and gently patted her other hand on the back of Miss Kim’s hand. “You’re doing well, sweetie. You don’t need those men indeed” Mom said, making Miss Kim smile a little wider this time while I have no clue what Mom meant.

“Thank you, mam”

I hurriedly offered a seat to Miss Kim when I noticed that we’ve been standing for a long time now. I waited for her to sit down before I sat beside Mom. I linked my arms with her and leaned my head on her shoulder.

“Mom…” I whispered softly.

“Yes, sweetie” Mom whispered before she placed a kiss on my head.

I smiled when she could still recognize me. I unlinked my arms from her before I faced her. “I have to tell you something” I said while she stared at me worriedly when she heard the seriousness in my voice. “I’ll be working with Miss Kim”

She smiled and nodded at me. “That’s good to know. Will you be singing in one of her hotels? Is that the reason why she came here with you?”

I shook my head as I slightly pouted. “No, Mom” I whispered softly. “I… Uhmm… We…” I stuttered, struggling how I’d tell it to her. I breathed deeply before I said, “I’ll be working as her wife. I’ll be in a pretend marriage with her. We’ll be marrying each other for real but it will be an arrangement, Mom”

“Why? Is it because of money? What about your singing?” she asked, her voice slightly raising from worry.

“She offered to help me pay your medical expenses in exchange to be her wife. You don’t have to tell anyone this but I wanted you to know the truth. You know Miss Kim from watching TV. You might see me on TV as well, but I want you to know the truth. I don’t want to lie to you and surprise you” I rambled nervously as I pouted at her.

“Is my stay here making you do this? I could leave, Wheein. You know I don’t like to stay here”

“Mom…” I whined at her, rubbing her arm as I tried to convince her.

“You don’t know what you’re doing at all. You don’t know what’s ahead of you. You’re sacrificing your privacy. I don’t even know what went into your head and how you two know each other, but it’s not safe for you”

“I’ll protect her, mam” Miss Kim suddenly said, interrupting me and Mom. When Mom faced Miss Kim, Miss Kim held a steady gaze on Mom as she said, “I promise to protect and take care of her. I’m not making her do something that she doesn’t want to do. I’m compensating her as much as I can. I need to do this as well and Wheein has proven herself trustworthy”

I bent my head low to hide my blush from the compliment. I never knew I gave that kind

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter