Chapter Ten

When We Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

International Singer Sam Kim and Jung Wheein spotted together

 

International singer Sam Kim, cousin of KGC President Kim Yongsun, was spotted together with Jung Wheein. The two were found strolling in the mall before the two got inside a store that sells handcrafted guitars. Witnesses said that the two seemed close based on their interactions. From the pictures, Jung Wheein and Sam Kim were spotted laughing and talking casually with each other. The two were said to be seeing and playing music inside the store as well. After they spent their time in the guitar store, Jung Wheein and Sam Kim were spotted next in the airport. The two hugged each other goodbye before Sam Kim went inside the airport terminal.

It was initially stated that Jung Wheein and Kim Yongsun were allegedly dating. Jung Wheein has also been caught using the KGC President’s car every time she goes to visit Kim Yongsun in Olympus. Jung Wheein being spotted together with the KGC President’s cousin and famous singer made people suspect that Jung Wheein and Kim Yongsun were actually dating. It seems that the former MAS drummer has been meeting the KGC President’s family. Again, no confirmations were given from the two about this rumor.

Rising Star Sandeul featured Jung Wheein in one of his songs in his Newly Released Album

 

Lee Junghwan, better known as Sandeul, has finally released his first mini album STAY AS YOU ARE. One of the songs in the album was a duet with MAS’ former drummer Jung Wheein entitled Ya!

During the press conference, Sandeul revealed that he and Jung Wheein were close friends, as well as the rest of the members of MAS. They first met when Sandeul and MAS weren’t still out of the mainstream content yet. Back when the two were still singing in bars and restaurants. Sandeul also revealed that Jung Wheein recorded the duet with him a long time ago. Ya! was supposed to be released on his first studio album but decided to push back because the song did not fit the theme of his album at that time. He also said that Jung Wheein participated in writing the lyrics with him and helped him a lot in this song. If given the opportunity, he would want to collaborate with Jung Wheein again.

Ya! is a song about two friends who slowly fell in love with each other. The moment they realized their feelings for the other, the two started to get awkward around each other. Neither one wanted to confess because they didn't want to destroy their friendship and ended up becoming strangers.

 

The day I discovered that I fell in love with Miss Kim, I panicked and kept on denying that maybe I was immersed with my role as her wife. Maybe after being with her for almost a year now, I’ve gotten comfortable around her and that pretending seemed so easy now. That I wasn’t really in love with here. There’s no way I am in love with her. I shouldn’t be in love with her.

That night when Miss Kim came back from work, I greeted her like usual but I’m so nervous. The thought that I love her was at the back of my head even though I’ve said to myself that it wasn’t true.

I busied myself with cooking dinner while Miss Kim was in the bedroom showering that time. Then we ate dinner like usual. Miss Kim asked me questions while I struggled to answer her because I don’t want to speak my mind and accidentally tell her that I think I love her.

It felt like the night of our first date. I was cautious and careful the whole time. I think Miss Kim noticed how I’m jittery but she didn’t say anything about it. This time, however, instead of trying not to make her mad and trying to read her, I’m trying not to let her read my thoughts or show in my eyes what I actually feel and was denying.

Then out of nowhere, after we finished eating dinner, Miss Kim said, “You did a good job today”

I gulped hard and immediately averted her gaze when my chest suddenly tightened. I gulped hard the lump that formed in my throat while I could feel tears starting to make their way out of my eyes. I slightly bent my head in a small bow while blinking my eyes repeatedly and mumbled, “Thank you, Miss Kim”

“Hyejin has told me that the employees are starting to think that we’re dating. With the unexpected incident in the elevator a while ago, people think that we’re in love, which helped us slowly establish our pretend relationship without revealing it yet”

I instantly grabbed my glass of water and drank from it when I heard the words in love. My heart was pounding louder in my chest, both from nervousness and the ache I felt earlier. I held the glass with both of my hands to hold it steady when my hands started to shake. I placed the glass down right away and clasped my hands on my lap under the table and kept them away from Miss Kim’s view.

“I just wanted to remind you, Wheein, that we’re pretending” she said.

I held her stare and nodded at her right away. “Yes, Miss Kim”

“You should never fall in love with me”

I shook my head and silently cleared my throat. “I’m just doing my job, Miss Kim. I’m not in love with you”

Miss Kim tipped her chin in a small nod before she grabbed her wine glass and emptied it in one go. She carried her plate and her glass before she stood up and walked to the kitchen, leaving me pouring water in my glass to make myself look natural even though I wanted to go to Mom and cry to her.

No matter how many times I denied it myself, my body would tell the truth for me. My heart would say what my mind wanted to contradict so much. My heart skipped three beats as I held my breath when I uttered a lie to Miss Kim that I do not love her.

We’re married for almost a year and I still have one to four years to go before we’ll end this. I don’t know how I’m going to survive pretending not to love her and not to let it slip. This will definitely make it hard for me since we’re interacting more in the house than before.

Luckily, when we’re out of the house, I don’t need to lie to her. It feels like I’m starting to pretend in front of the other people but not to her when we’re out in public. It feels like I’m lying to her when I’m not supposed to every time we’re free from the public’s eyes.

A part of me wanted to be truthful to Miss Kim; that I broke one thing that she prohibited me to do the most. But I thought of Mom. I thought of Hyejin who’s worried about me and helped me get this job. I thought of Miss Kim’s sad eyes and how vulnerable she was. I couldn’t leave them. I couldn’t leave Miss Kim. I promised to her I’m not going away.

I decided to stay even though lying to Miss Kim felt so wrong.

 

Mr. Cho stopped right in front of the Olympus entrance. It has become our routine that I’d visit Miss Kim during her lunch break to bring food to her. I think the people in Olympus are not shocked anymore when they see someone who’s only wearing sweatpants, hoodie or sweatshirt, and a cap in the hallways of the building.

Today, I’m not just wearing hoodie and sweatpants though. There was one time when I came here to bring lunch for Miss Kim that an employee told me that I should dress appropriately inside Olympus. When someone pointed out that I’m Jung Wheein, she apologized right away. I shyly mumbled that it was okay while I blushed from embarrassment.

Miss Kim always told me that I could dress whatever I want but I think that employee was right. Olympus is not Miss Kim’s house. It’s a place for professionals. I do not fit in Olympus but I at least have to respect the place and the people working in the building by being presentable.

I still look far from being professional but I abandoned my cap, hoodie, and sweatpants this time. I wore a black cargo pants and a black fitted shirt. I pushed my bangs to the side and wore very light makeup. I’m even wearing sandals today instead of my usual rubber shoes.

I was nervous when I left the house. I’m used to dressing formally because of my previous jobs but I’m still nervous if I was a little underdressed.

“You look good, Miss Jung. Don’t worry too much” Mr. Cho said, sensing my nerves when I fidgeted with the strings of my cargo pants the moment I was out of the car.

“You think so? I think I’m still underdressed, Mr. Cho. I don’t want to look way too formal too” I mumbled nervously as I pouted at him.

He laughed softly and patted my shoulder. “Thanks for the food again” he said as he walked back to the driver seat.

I sighed heavily and waved at him goodbye before I walked towards the entrance. I bowed at the guards who greeted me when they saw me coming. They still looked scary even though I passed by this entrance several times now.

I gulped hard when a lot of the employees were eyeing me on my way to the hallway of elevators. I would never get used to them looking at me, especially how there are more stares I received and stayed longer than before. I slightly bent my head low and just stared at the tiled floor as I hurriedly walked inside the elevator. After I pressed the button for Miss Kim’s floor, I walked at the end corner of the elevator and stayed there.

“Good noon, Miss Jung”

I whipped my head up and saw employees coming inside the elevator. I bowed at them and greeted them back before I gulped hard and stayed in my small corner.

Miss Kim's employees have started greeting me as well. At first, people would give me a small bow or stare at me. Then, at some point, they started greeting and bowing at me. It seems like everyone in this building has already known me.

When I reached Miss Kim’s floor, I sighed in relief, knowing that I won’t be seeing a lot of people on this floor. I headed straight to the double doors and knocked on it once I’m standing in front of it. I slowly pushed the door open before I went inside.

I smiled and bowed at all of Miss Kim’s secretaries. Unlike the other employees in Olympus, I was familiar with Miss Kim’s secretaries because I spent most of my time here. When I was sitting beside Hyejin one time while waiting for Miss Kim because I don’t want to stay all by myself in Miss Kim’s office, Hyejin introduced me to all seven of them. Then they initiated a conversation with me until I was slowly familiar with them.

I smiled wider when I saw Miss Kim was right beside Hyejin. I’m calmer around her in her office because I don’t have to fake being in love with her now than when we’re inside her house. Miss Kim noticed me coming right away. My steps slightly faltered when she scanned her eyes all over my body.

I glanced at Hyejin when Miss Kim’s gaze made me feel so conscious of myself. Hyejin was scanning her eyes all over my body too, making me slightly pout at her as I felt uneasy. I must’ve dressed wrongly for them to look at me this way.

I gulped hard and stopped in front of Miss Kim. “Is there something wrong?” I nervously whispered.

“Kiss.” She wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled me closer to her.

I cupped her cheek before I leaned forward and softly kissed her lips. I stared at her nervously before I asked again, “Is there something wrong?” I hesitantly glanced at myself before I met Miss Kim’s eyes again. “Yong…”

“Nothing’s wrong.” She leaned forward for another kiss. “Nothing’s wrong at all. You dressed differently today”

“Was it bad?” I nervously glanced at myself again and mumbled, “I know you told me to dress comfortably but one of your employees told me that I should be dressed appropriately inside the building. I thought…”

“Who said that?”

I rubbed my thumb on her cheek, hearing her voice slightly hardening. “No one. I thought it’s right though, but I don’t want to be overdressed or underdressed. Was it bad? Should I wear something else next time?”

“You look great, Wheein. I love this. You look really beautiful.” She leaned forward for another kiss before she held my hand and walked us inside her office. “Let’s eat. I’m hungry already”

“Oh… Okay” I whispered softly, flustered by her series of compliments.

Miss Kim helped me unpacked all the food I brought with me today. I grabbed the two containers I packed for Hyejin and for Miss Kim’s secretaries. I headed outside of the office and passed them to Hyejin, smiling and bending my head in a small bow when they looked excited that I brought them food again. I headed back to Miss Kim’s office and sat beside her on the couch as we started eating lunch.

Once done with eating lunch, Miss Kim helped me pack all the containers back into the paper bag. She sighed heavily as she sat down on the couch again and pulled me to sit closer to her once I’m done cleaning her table. She laced an arm across my back and made me lean my head on her shoulder. Then she leaned her head on my head.

“Did someone say something bad to you on your way up here?” she whispered softly.

There’s a moment after lunch where we just sit closely beside each other and talk. We’re not supposed to pretend since it’s just the two of us but Miss Kim told me otherwise in case someone walked in on us. I don’t think anyone would easily walk in a president’s office though, but I’m not complaining. I like being this close to her because I couldn’t do this even when we’re lying beside each other on the bed.

“No…” I shook my head as I closed my eyes and sighed in content. “I’m still a little bit uncomfortable at your employees bowing and greeting me. It makes me feel conscious and nervous that they’re giving me attention. It even felt like there are more staring at me earlier”

She pulled me closer to her then slightly turned her body to face me before she wrapped her other arm around me. I relaxed beside her and slightly turned my body to face her as well while I rested my hand on her knee.

It felt like her wrapping her arms around me is her way of saying that she’ll protect me even when there’s no need to. And I always feel protected when I’m in her arms. I know I won’t be hurt when I’m sitting this close to her.

“It’s because of how you dressed up today” she whispered while I pouted.

“What’s wrong with how I dressed up today?”

She pulled back and cupped my cheek, making me look at her. I could see the tiny smile appearing on her lips once again. “Nothing’s wrong. It’s just that you’re grabbing people’s attention without trying. You looked really beautiful today”

I instantly averted her gaze and bent my head low while she caressed my cheek with her thumb. I hid my blush away from her while I tried to calm myself down. Why does she have to say something like that when there’s no need to say it? It just makes it even hard not to fall harder for her with how she looked at me and how sincere she sounded earlier. Are we really this good at pretending that we’re also fooling ourselves when there’s no people watching us?

“Thank you” I whispered softly.

Just then, the door in Miss Kim’s office suddenly opened, making me jump on my seat when I got startled by it. Miss Kim rubbed her hand on my back to calm me down. I smiled at her just to let her know I’m okay before I turned to the door’s direction.

“Yongsun! Cousin! Sam’s here!” Taehyung announced excitedly, his steps slightly faltering and his smile dropping a little when he saw me and Miss Kim sitting beside each other.

The last time we’ve seen each other was the first time I’ve seen him again. I feel slightly bad for him because he said that he genuinely likes me. I did say that I couldn’t go out with him but my reason for declining was vague because I’m not allowed to talk about my marriage with Miss Kim.

I also finally realized why I said to Miss Kim that I don’t know if I should go out with him or not. I like him. I really do. But I love Miss Kim, which is very unfortunate because I shouldn’t possess these kinds of emotions towards her.

Still, Taehyung smiled at me and acknowledged my presence. I smiled back and dipped my head in a small bow. Just because we couldn’t go out, doesn’t mean we couldn’t be friendly towards each other. Right?

My eyes widened while my mouth hung open when I saw whom Taehyung meant as Sam. He was even bringing his guitar with him. I glanced at Miss Kim in disbelief while she stared at me with a glint in her eyes. I glanced at Sam again before I forcefully closed my mouth and gulped hard.

The Kims are indeed famous.

Miss Kim stood up and moved to none other than Sam Kim. The Sam Kim. The international singer Sam Kim. Sam smiled at Miss Kim so wide before he engulfed her in a huge hug. Miss Kim hugged him back and said, “I thought you wouldn’t drop by”

“Of course, I would drop by. Why wouldn’t I visit my favorite cousin?” Sam said.

That’s another famous cousin in the family. Miss Kim is known as the president of their company and a famous model. Taehyung, I discovered, is a famous brand ambassador, an art collector, and one of the executives in Miss Kim’s company. Now, Sam Kim?! Are all the famous Kims related to Miss Kim?

“Hey! I thought I’m your favorite cousin” Taehyung argued as he playfully pushed Sam while Sam just laughed at him.

“How’s your concert last night? I’m sorry I couldn’t visit but I sent my good luck to you. Did you get it?” Miss Kim asked, changing the topic when Taehyung and Sam continued to playfully banter with each other.

“I did! The concert went well. And it’s okay. I understand how difficult it is to run a company, especially if you have an immature executive” Sam said, snickering at Taehyung while Taehyung just flicked his forehead.

“I’m not immature”

“Says the guy who just flicked my forehead”

“He’s not. He’s doing a good job. Still a little immature but manageable” Miss Kim said, making Sam burst out laughing while Taehyung just sighed heavily and lightly punched Sam’s arm.

While they conversed, I just stared at all of them from my position on the couch. Miss Kim wasn’t laughing with them but she looked lighter with her cousins, especially with Sam and Taehyung’s antics. There was tension with Miss Kim and Taehyung the last time I’ve seen them together, but I’m really glad that they could still carry a light-hearted conversation.

“Let me introduce you to someone” Miss Kim suddenly said as she turned to face me.

She motioned for me to stand beside her while my eyes just widened at her. There’s a small smile on her lips when she raised her eyebrows and nodded at me. I gulped hard and pushed myself off the couch, subtly wiping my sweaty palms on my pants as I moved to Miss Kim. I nervously looked at Sam before I glanced at Miss Kim when I was standing beside her already.

“Wheein… This is Sam, my cousin. Sam, this is Wheein” Miss Kim said while I gulped hard once again before I glanced at Sam.

He smiled and instantly reached a hand at me. I quickly glanced at Miss Kim before I bowed at Sam and shook his hand.

“Nice to meet you, Wheein”

“I’m a fan…” I whispered softly.

“That’s a very familiar line,” Taehyung said, narrowing his eyes while smirking at me.

I dropped Sam’s hand and giggled at Taehyung as I shook my head. “I really am a fan” I said to Sam again, staring at him in disbelief now that he’s standing so close at me.

“You knew Sam?” Miss Kim beside me.

“I do!” I said excitedly, smiling so wide as I nodded my head vigorously. I glanced at Sam and said, “I used to sing one of your songs back then”

“Which one?” Sam asked as he smiled wider. He’s probably the first Kim I’ve met that has n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter