Chapter Three

When We Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KGC President Kim Yongsun has been spotted dining outside of the KGC Hotel Chains

 

Kim Yongsun has been spotted dining outside of her own hotel chain restaurants, which is a first for the youngest successful bachelorette. It has been speculated that Kim Yongsun has been repeatedly coming into the restaurant for consecutive nights now.

It was rumored that the youngest president wasn’t there for the food but for something else. Many have thought that Kim Yongsun was there for business purposes but a lot thought Kim Yongsun was there for personal reasons. That she has been secretly dating someone.

This isn’t the first time that Kim Yongsun was involved in a dating rumor but this is the first time that neither one of her lineup of suitors were involved. It has been confirmed that Eric Nam, Kwak Siyang, Henry Lau, and Yoo Seungho were never spotted in the restaurant and around its vicinity. As of the moment, the KGC President remains to be silent about this once again.

 

I have been playing the piano for quite some time now. This is the first night that Miss Kim would come into the restaurant and listen to me play and sing. Then we’ll eat dinner together. Just the two of us. I’ve been replaying the plan in my head while chanting to myself that I shouldn’t mess this up.

Music calms me down. It would sometimes hype me up and give me energy. This is the first time that I’m really nervous at playing and singing, and music is not making me calm down. I barely manage to get through the first song I played earlier. Slowly, I was able to adjust but the thought that Miss Kim would walk into the double doors of this restaurant to listen to me would suddenly get in my head and would mess my playing.

I grabbed the water bottle on the floor for a quick break before I scanned the crowd. Some were smiling and clapping at me. I slightly bowed my head to thank them. I sighed heavily when I couldn’t spot Miss Kim. I’m almost done for tonight so I’m slightly relieved. Maybe she forgot about tonight. Hyejin said she’s a busy person. I think it’s impossible for her to squeeze tonight.

I took a sip of my water again, relieving my throat from the hoarseness of singing and to prepare myself for my last song. I choked on my water and almost spilled water on the grand piano when I saw Miss Kim coming inside the restaurant. She’s wearing a white suit while her hair is tied in a ponytail. She walks like she owns the place with her head held high. I could see people turning their heads towards her as they followed her every move.

She looks scary and powerful.

The waiter guided Miss Kim right in front of my line of vision, which made me cough harder. From my position on the elevated platform at the every end of the restaurant, I could see the waiter was slightly trembling from fear to be under her presence. I totally understand what he’s feeling right now.

I patted my chest and coughed a couple times before I breathed deeply. I took a small sip of my water again before I closed the bottle. I placed it on the floor then I cleared my throat a couple of times.

I placed my fingers on the piano keys again and gulped hard. I’m trying not to look at Miss Kim right now. She’s just sitting while drinking wine, but the intensity of her gaze is nerve-wracking. My hands trembled so much as they started to sweat.

I closed my eyes and counted to ten in my head as I breathed deeply and wiped my sweaty palms on my pants. I slowly opened my eyes when I reached ten and blew a huge breath out. I clenched and unclenched my hands, stopping them from trembling while feeling Miss Kim’s gaze right on me.

I placed my fingers on the keys again and slowly leaned my lips to the microphone. I gulped hard before I started pressing on the keys of the piano.

Everything was going really great so far until I caught a glimpse of Miss Kim staring intently at me as she took a sip of her wine. I missed a note, making me slightly pout my lips from frustration. I averted her gaze right away and bent my head down to stare at the piano keys.

I closed my eyes and leaned closer to the microphone again before I opened my mouth and sang. It was difficult to concentrate at first because the knowledge of Miss Kim watching me was at the back of my head the whole time. It felt like tonight is part of her interview as well. It felt like I would fail if I would also fail the song. I was really conscious but when I reached the chorus, I imagined like it’s just me and the music. I slowly let the song overpower and take control of me completely.

When I was done playing, I pulled my fingers away from the keys and let them rest on my lap. My hands were trembling so badly but I pushed myself and continued playing until I finished the song. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Miss Kim looking at me intently. She’s not drinking her wine anymore.

I quickly averted her gaze and picked up my water bottle. I fidgeted with it as I stood up and faced the crowd. I blushed hard when I saw people clapping their hands for me. I bowed to them before I jogged out of the platform to meet the restaurant owner. I squeezed the water bottle as I drank water from it.

I bowed at Miss Bae before I whispered, “Good evening again, Miss Bae”

“You were slightly distracted tonight, Wheein” she said while I just nodded at her. “But your last song is always wonderful”

“Thank you, Miss” I whispered to her again.

She handed me an envelope as she said, “I’d still see you tomorrow night?”

“Yes, Miss Bae. I’ll try not to mess up tomorrow” I whispered to her as I placed the envelope inside the bag. I bowed at her again before I walked out of her office.

I walked towards Miss Kim’s table, feeling her eyes right on me again. I bowed at her before I moved to sit on the chair across from her.

“You have to stop bowing when we’re out in public” she said, making me gulp hard as I placed my bag behind me. “Don’t call me formally as well,” she added.

I nervously glanced at her as I asked, “What should I call you, Miss… Ahh… Sorry”

“Yong. Call me Yong” she said, picking up her wine glass as she took a sip from it.

“Okay… Yong” I whispered softly while I fidgeted with my hands below the table.

Being alone with her now is making me nervous. There’s no Atty. Park that looked approachable. Hyejin is not here as well to help me. I’m even more nervous now that other people could see us. She said that tonight was supposed to be like a first date. I don’t have a single idea what I should do on a first date. I have no idea what it’s like to be in a relationship. Someone asked me out on a date before but we never get to actually go out.

“You were great,” Miss Kim said suddenly.

I glanced at her and said, “Thank you”

“Try saying my name more so you’d get used to it”

“Thank you… Ahh… Yong” I said, slightly flinching when it doesn’t sit right to me.

“You were great with the piano. You have a wonderful voice too” Miss Kim said, making me sigh in relief. It felt like I passed the most important test in life.

I smiled at her, slightly losing the tension on my body, before I said, “Thank you… Yong”

She gave me a small nod just as a waiter arrived bringing huge platters of food. He placed the platter in front of me and Miss Kim before he took the lid off. He wished for us to have a lovely dinner before he left while I tried not to salivate on the steak, potatoes, and tomatoes in front of me. I gulped hard while I fisted my hands under the table, trying to stop myself from eating grotesquely.

When Miss Kim started eating, I moved my seat closer to the table but pouted when I saw way too many utensils in front of me. There were three forks on the left side of my plate. On the other side, there are two spoons and a knife. I have three sets of goblets as well. The tallest one was filled with water, the other one was I think filled with red wine and the last one was turned upside down.

“Why aren’t you eating? Have you had dinner already?” Miss Kim asked while I struggled to figure out what to do.

“There are too many forks and spoons. I don’t know which to use” I admitted, slightly pouting at the forks and spoons while my stomach started complaining, making me even pout harder.

I’m afraid to commit a mistake while under her presence. But I’d rather admit and be honest than pretend I know everything. We’re already pretending as of the moment, I don’t want to pretend even more.

“I see…” Miss Kim whispered before she took a sip from her wine.

“I’m sorry” I whispered to her as I bent my head low. She clearly mentioned in the contract that I’d have to accompany her to parties someday. I should learn table manners, but I was busy with my documents yesterday that I wasn’t able to prepare for today.

“The fork nearest to your plate is the dessert fork. Next to that one is your dining fork and the one farthest is your salad fork. Use the one in the middle to eat your steak” Miss Kim instructed while I constantly nodded at her and took a mental note of all she said. “On the right, the one closest to your plate is your knife for cutting. Next to that one is your dessert spoon and the last one is your soup spoon. There are restaurants that place their dessert fork and spoon above your plate. In our hotels, the utensils are arranged like this. We also have three knives sitting with the spoons. One for the cutting meat, the other one is for fish, and the last one is for the salad”

“Okay… Okay…” I whispered, nodding my head absentmindedly as I furrowed my eyebrows and pouted my lips from concentration.

Miss Kim pointed next at the plate with the bread on top of it. “That’s your bread and butter plate and your butter knife. Did you get all of that?” she asked.

I nodded my head vigorously before I glanced at Miss Kim, slightly pouting as I asked, “Why are there so many utensils?”

She raised her eyebrows at me while still staring at me intently, which made me regret asking her the question. I should have just shut my mouth and eat.

“So your food won’t get mixed up” Miss Kim answered, making me glance at her again when she didn’t sound mad. “Your soup won’t be on your dessert or vice versa. Haven’t you eaten here before?”

I shook my head before I said, “I have tasted some of their food but I haven’t eaten here. Miss Bae, the owner here, would sometimes give me biscuits or mashed potatoes. If I’m lucky, she’d give me some fillets”

“Okay. You should start eating now. You’re probably hungry already”

I nodded at her and picked up the knife with my right hand and the dinner fork with my left. I glanced at Miss Kim to see if I did it correctly. She nodded at me before she picked up her knife and fork as well.

“Just follow what I’ll do,” she said before she forked her steak and started cutting it. Then she brought the cut piece of steak to and started chewing it.

I glanced down at my own plate and inserted my forked on the steak. Then I cut a piece of it, biting my bottom lip when it was harder than it looked like when Miss Kim demonstrated earlier. I smiled so wide when I successfully cut a piece of the steak. I showed it to Miss Kim before I placed it inside my mouth and chewed on it, humming and nodding my head by how delicious it is.

When we were done with the steak, the same waiter took our plates away. I grabbed the goblet with water and drank from it before I placed it on the table again.

“Why aren’t you touching your wine?” Miss Kim asked, making me slightly flinch when she suddenly talked. The silence that surrounded us through dinner was bearable but I would always be scared when she speaks to me.

“I don’t drink wine, Miss Kim”

“Yong”

I instantly sat up on my chair and mumbled, “Sorry. I forgot… Yong”

“Wine’s not as good as I wanted it but it’s okay. You should try it”

I gulped hard and picked up my glass of wine, following her obediently. I took a small sip before I scrunched my nose and placed the glass back on the table. I picked up my glass of water and hurriedly drank from it before I whispered, “Bitter.” I shook my head at Miss Kim as I whispered, “I’m sorry. It’s too bitter for me… Yong”

She raised her eyebrows and eyed me curiously. I bent my head low and went back to fidgeting with my hands under the table.

“We should better go. I think that’s good for tonight” Miss Kim said while I just nodded at her.

After she paid for our meal, she stood up right away and motioned for me to follow her. I lifted my bag and carried it with me as I walked behind Miss Kim. I hid behind her as we walked out of the restaurant. She’s walking confidently with her head held high while I looked completely the opposite of her.

She walked straight to a black car in the parking area. My mouth hung open when I saw it. I have no knowledge about cars so all I could say is that it’s shiny. It looked sleek and very expensive. A guy, around my Mom’s age or probably younger, was standing by the car and op

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter