Chapter Seven

When We Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Make A Sound, MAS, Speaks about Jung Wheein’s Departure from the band

 

During the band’s press conference for their new album release, MAS frontman, Yonghoon, denies allegations that Jung Wheein departed from the band because of money. Jung Wheein’s departure has nothing to do with conflicts with the other members or wanting to have a solo career as well. The original members of the band; Yonghoon, Wheein, Kanghyun, Dongmyeong, and Cya, and the band’s new drummer, Ju Harin, said that they have established close friendship with each other even before the band debuted.

As to the real reason why Jung Wheein departed, neither one of the members of the band wished to disclose it. Jung Wheein’s departure from the band saddened all the members but they respect the former drummer’s decision. It was also a mutual agreement between all the original members of the band.

MAS also could not speak on behalf of their former drummer and her association with the KGC President, Kim Yongsun. As to this day, Jung Wheein and Kim Yongsun have been silent about this rumor. Jung Wheein and Kim Yongsun have not been spotted together as well. Jung Wheein has also stopped working in the restaurant and has moved out of the apartment that the KGC President rented for her.

 

I pushed my bangs back before I wore my cap while watching my reflection on the mirror inside the closet. I walked to the row of shoes on my side of the closet. I picked up knee-length boots and my bag before I headed out of the closet, turning the lights off and closing the door on my way out.

I headed downstairs and placed my boots by the front door first. I checked the lights and appliances inside the house if they were all turned off. I especially double checked the appliances in the kitchen so I wouldn’t set the house on fire before I headed out. I have already washed the dishes I’ve used earlier.

Miss Kim went out early this morning. She said that she won’t be heading for work but has something important to deal with. I’m waiting for Mr. Cho to come back to the house now so he’d drive me since Miss Kim refused for me to take public transportation.

I brought the extra bread I baked this morning from the kitchen before I headed to the front door. I shall give these to Mr. Cho in case he gets hungry from driving both me and Miss Kim. I slang my bag over my shoulder and checked if my phone and wallet were there. Then I wore my boots next. I pushed my rings back in my finger and wiggled my hand really hard just to make sure that they won’t come out.

Once satisfied, I headed out of the house to wait for Mr. Cho. I’ll be visiting Mom today. I’ll be visiting my friends from the band too. They said that they’d be dropping an album tomorrow and wanted me to listen to their songs with them before the release.

We always stayed in contact even if I’m not part of the band anymore. I sometimes still do backup vocals for them on their previous album. Harin, their new drummer, was someone I got to know as well. He even let me play with his drums back when I hadn’t met Miss Kim yet. My former bandmates knew I stopped singing in public but they never knew the real reason behind it. They never questioned me as well.

I’d still sing and play the piano now. Every night, Miss Kim asks me to play and sing for her before we go to sleep. It’s different than before but I at least still get to do it. Miss Kim is also a very great audience. She always compliments me every time I finish playing and singing. Also, I love her eyes on me when I play. Like she only sees me during those times.

I smiled and waved at the car when I saw Mr. Cho coming to the house. I closed the front door and waited for the electronic lock to beep before I walked to the car. Mr. Cho was already opening the backseat door for me when I reached him.

I bowed at him before I handed him a paper bag of bread. “I baked you bread Mr. Cho. I hope you love them!” I said, smiling at him when he accepted the bag right away.

“Thank you. Your breads are always delicious, Miss Jung”

I smiled wider and bowed to him before I got inside the car. I fastened my seatbelt while Mr. Cho walked back to the driver seat.

“Are you going to visit your mother, Miss Jung?”

“Yes, but I’d have to drop by somewhere first before going to Mom. Will that be okay?”

“Yes, miss”

I smiled at him through the rearview mirror before I told him the address of my bandmates’ agency. We’ll be meeting in their agency’s café like usual. The last time we met was probably a few months ago. We still contact each other but since there are a lot of things I couldn’t say I wasn’t able to talk to them as much as before.

“Thank you, Mr. Cho” I said to him once we had arrived in the café while I unfastened my seatbelt.

Mr. Cho opened the door for me before I moved out of the car. “Would you want me to wait for you, Miss Jung?”

I bowed at him before I shook my head and said, “I might be here a little longer Mr. Cho. Will it be okay if I’ll just contact you before I’d leave to see Mom? Miss Kim might be needing you too”

“That’s okay, Miss Jung. Please don’t leave without me. Miss Kim instructed for me to drive you”

I smiled as I nodded at him, taking a step back so he could close the door. “Yes, Mr. Cho. Thank you again”

I bowed at him one last time before I headed inside the café. I unconsciously lowered the brim of my cap, hoping that it would hide my face completely. I sighed in relief when there were not so many people inside the café. However, I still saw people glancing at me and did a double take when I got inside the café. I shyly bent my head low, only lifting my head to look for my bandmates. I gulped hard and gripped the sling of my bag as I walked further in the café.

“Wheein!”

I instantly glanced up and smiled so wide when I saw Dongmyeong waving his hand at me. The rest of my friends looked at me and immediately stood up. I walked towards them while they swarmed around me and hugged me tightly. I was giggling the whole time, hugging them back but not sure who’s who since my cap obstructed my vision and they completely surrounded me.

Yonghoon bent down in front of me and I climbed on his back right away. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders as he carried me to the table we’re staying at.

“How’s our little princess?” Cya asked, walking beside me and Yonghoon while I pouted at him and lightly smacked his head.

“Hey! I’m still older than you”

“But I’m taller than you” he said teasingly as he smirked at me.

I removed my arms around Yonghoon’s shoulders and leaned towards Cya to smack his head again. Cya walked ahead right away while I repeatedly patted Yonghoon’s back, coaxing him to move faster.

When Yonghoon put me down, I went to Cya right away and smacked his head again while he just laughed at me. There were teases thrown as we sat down on the table while we caught up with each other. I couldn’t say much to them so I threw a lot of questions before they could ask me since it would be hard to lie to them than to the people I don’t know.

“Let me listen to your album. I’m so excited since you told me about it” I said excitedly while Kanghyun passed me a carton of banana milk.

“Wait, let me plug in my headphones first so you could hear them better” Dongmyeong mumbled.

“We’ll be releasing a mini album tomorrow. Let her listen to the title track first” Yonghoon explained.

I wore the headphones that Dongmyeong passed to me. I smiled right away when I realized they’re having a ballad for their title track. I glanced at Yonghoon and said, “Your voice suits ballads the best.” He smiled back at me as he pinched my cheek before I bent my head down and closed my eyes to listen to the rest of the songs.

I hadn’t reached the chorus when I felt a tap on my shoulder, a kick on my shin, and a nudge on my arm. I pouted, still in my closed eyes, and said, “Stop it. I’m listening.” A stronger kick on my shin, a light smack on my shoulder, and a grip on my arm followed next. “Stop it!” I whined and glared at Dongmyeong across from me. His kick on my shin hurt the most compared to the grip and smack on my shoulder.

His mouth moved, saying something to me, while I furrowed my eyebrows and slightly pouted since I couldn’t hear him. He pointed to the side, telling me to look at it.

I glanced and saw Miss Kim standing beside our table. She’s wearing a black fitting shirt and a white bodycon skirt. She’s also wearing sunglasses. It’s not her usual clothes when she goes to work but she still looks formal and elegant.

I smiled and waved at her before I said, “You’re here too.” I bent my head low and closed my eyes again before the reality hit me hard. I instantly opened my eyes so wide and removed the headphones on my head. I hurriedly stood up as I gulped hard before I glanced at Miss Kim again, my heart beating so hard from nervousness.

I’ve seen Miss Kim everyday that it felt so natural for me to see her. I was so caught up with listening to the music that I forgot where I was and who I am with. Thankfully, I did not slip and called her Miss Kim earlier. That would be so stupid. Not realizing where I am and who she really was is already a stupid move of me.

I frantically pushed the chair back, almost knocking it off balance. I clumsily moved out of the table to walk towards Miss Kim. I gulped hard even if I saw the rare tiny smirk on her face. “Yong…” I whispered softly as I stood in front of her. “You’re here. Is there something wrong?”

She held my hand and tipped her chin in a small nod to my former bandmates before she said, “Excuse us for a moment”

She walked us away from the table while I followed her right away, afraid that I had made her mad already. She stopped when we reached the end of the café before she pulled me to stand in front of her. My left thumb nervously went to my rings and made sure that they’re still there before I clenched and unclenched my hand.

Miss Kim pulled her sunglasses up and looked at me intently. “Aren’t you going to see your Mom?”

“I am. After this, I’ll go see her right away” I whispered as I nervously held her gaze.

“Why are you surrounded by men? Who are they?” she asked, her voice hardening a little bit while her hold on my hand tightened.

“They’re my friends… Yong. Former bandmates. Was I not allowed to see them?”

“I see…” she whispered, her eyes softening. “You could see them, Wheein”

“Okay… Thank you” I said, sighing in relief as I loosened the tension on my shoulders and body. “Do we have to go somewhere, Yong? Is that the reason why you’re here?”

She shook her head and said. “No. I asked Mr. Cho where you are and he said you’re here. I was just confused why you aren’t at the nursing home when that’s where you’ll always go if you go out of the house other than the grocery. I’m just checking on you to see how you’re doing”

I gave her a small smile as I said, “I’m fine, Yong. You don’t have to worry about me all the time.” I took a step back and said, “I shouldn’t hold you longer. You might’ve to be somewhere important”

“I don’t have work anymore. I was also hoping we could visit your Mom together”

“Oh… Well… I… Uhmm… Would you like to meet my bandmates? I was listening to their album that they’d be releasing tomorrow. But if you want, we could just go see Mom right away” I suggested to her.

“No. I’d like to meet your former bandmates”

I smiled right away and nodded at her. “You’ll like them. They’re great. Their songs are really great too.” I slightly leaned forward to her, making sure that my cap didn’t hit her face, and softly whispered, “We couldn’t tell them about our marriage yet, right?”

“Not yet”

“Okay…” I nodded at her before I smiled again and walked us back to our table.

All five of them we’re eyeing us curiously. Their eyes went wide as we stood by the table again. I could see them nervously glancing at Miss Kim, our joined hands, and at me. I glanced at Miss Kim beside me, checking on her, before I looked at my friends again. They’re both surprised and confused at the same time.

“Uhmm… Yong said she’d like to meet all of you so I’m introducing you all to her” I said, seeing how all of their eyes went wide as they stared at me. I glanced at Miss Kim beside me and said to her, “Yong, these are my bandmates and my friends as well.” I pointed at Kanghyun first and said, “This is Kanghyun, the guitarist”

Miss Kim reached a hand to him while Kanghyun nervously stood up and held Miss Kim’s hand. “Nice to meet you” Miss Kim said while Kanghyun bowed at her before he dropped his hand from Miss Kim’s hold.

“Pleasure to meet you, Miss Kim”

“That’s Yonghoon, the leader and frontman” I said to Miss Kim. They shook hands as well while Yonghoon bowed at Miss Kim like what Kanghyun and Miss Kim did earlier. “That’s Cya, bassist and rapper. This is Dongmyeong, pianist and vocalist. And this is Harin, drummer” I said, finishing the introduction.

“Nice to meet all of you” Miss Kim said, making me smile at her.

“Would you like to stay or do you want to go somewhere else?” I asked her once we’re done with the introductions.

She scanned her eyes all over the café for a few seconds before she stared at me intently. “Let’s stay for a while. There aren’t many people yet. If it gets thicker here and if the paps reach us, we’ll move out somewhere private. I don’t want you hyperventilating again”

She’s always worried about me. She has a lot on her plate already but she always thinks of my safety and comfort first even though I’m just working for her. I know we’re pretending but her worry is always genuine. Even from the very beginning when we don’t know much about each other, she has taken into consideration my safety and not just her personal gains. I still don’t know her very well, but I’ve known her better from living under the same roof with her for months now.

“Okay. Thank you.” I pointed at where I was sitting earlier and said, “You can sit there. I’ll just grab my own chair”

“I’ll just transfer so you could sit beside each other.” Yonghoon was already standing up and grabbing a chair from the nearby table. He placed it beside the table and sat down on it before I could even argue.

Miss Kim sat where Yonghoon was sitting earlier while I sat on where I was sitting before. She pulled my chair closer to her before she laced an arm across my back while she crossed her legs under the table. She placed her phone and sunglass

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter