Chapter 5

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yewon jumped at the sound of her phone vibrating. She had been sitting in her office, the blinds drawn as she worked on some paperwork. Her concentration broken, she picked up her phone, smiling slightly when she saw Eunbi’s name.

“Hi,” Yewon smiled, leaning back in her chair.

“Hi! So I’m just about to leave now,” Eunbi told Yewon.

“Um, Eunbi this is Yewon,” Yewon replied, confused as to why Eunbi was calling her this late.

“I- I know? I thought we...um, were going to the zoo today?” Yewon could hear confusion and questions in Eunbi’s voice

“Today? Wha- it’s Friday night,” Yewon told her, frowning as she picked up her coffee and took a sip.

“It’s eleven o’clock on Saturday afternoon, are you okay? Eunbi asked slightly concerned. Yewon frowned, clicking the button to raise the blinds covering the windows as she turned her chair around. She winced as bright sunlight streamed in momentarily blinding her.

“What the ,” Yewon hissed, spinning her chair around so the sun was to her back, “Sorry, excuse me” She could hear Eunbi laughing on the other end of the call as she blinked multiple time to focus her vision.

“Um, just give me a minute,” Yewon told Eunbi, all but running to her bathroom, “I’ll meet you outside of the zoo?”

“We can reschedule if you want,” Eunbi offered. 

“No no, I’ll see you soon,” Yewon promised, saying goodbye and stepping under the hot water.

After taking a shower so quick, that surprised Yewon herself, she ran to her closet, pulling out the first thing her eyes landed on. Within twenty minutes, she was rushing out of her apartment, sliding into the back seat of her car as the driver closed the door behind her.

~

~

“Sorry I’m late,” Yewon apologized as she walked over to Eunbi, who smiled brightly when she saw Yewon.

“It’s no problem,” Eunbi waved her apology away, holding a coffee out towards Yewon, “I didn’t know if you had enough time to get a coffee, so I thought I’d get you one. Cappuccino right?” 

“Yes, thank you,” Yewon smiled gratefully, taking a sip.

“I already bought our tickets,” Eunbi told her, talking out two pieces of paper and showing them to the woman in the booth, who approved and let them in.

“Thank you,” Yewon smiled, contemplating if she should offer to reimburse her. She didn’t want to offend her, but Yewon wasn’t used to people buying things for her, she had always paid for herself; one of the perks of inheriting a lot of money.

“You look tired. Late-night?” Eunbi asked, sipping her own coffee as she led them through the tunnel and into the zoo.

“Mm, paperwork, and lots of it,” Yewon explained, “I didn’t realize how much time had passed when you called.”

“Wait, you haven’t slept all night?” Eunbi said sharply, immediately facing Yewon.

“I’m a bit of a night owl,” Yewon shrugged, “Sometimes when I can’t sleep, I catch up on some paperwork”

“We could have just rescheduled,” Eunbi said, taking Yewon’s tired expression, faint eye bags could be seen that weren't completely hidden by her makeup.

Yewon snorted, "Please, one sleepless night never harmed anyone. Besides, I believe you promised me hand-holding?"

Eunbi smiled, reaching out and taking Yewon's hand, intertwining their fingers together. Yewon blinked in surprise, staring down at her hand clutched in Eunbi’s hand, and Eunbi's smile dropped as her eyes widened.

"Oh my God, you meant with the otters didn't you?" Eunbi smiled shyly at Yewon, blushing as she tried to pull her hand back. Yewon kept their hands locked together as she smiled at Eunbi.

"I mean, I did, but it's fine," Yewon laughed, tilting her head to the side as she looked at Eunbi's pink cheeks. She looked up at Yewon in surprise, looking flustered as she tried to come up with a reply.

“Oh…..okay,” Eunbi smiled, “Well...um, the otters are this way anyways.”

Yewon let Eunbi lead them over to the tank, and they stood there watching the otters slip in and out of the water, twisting and playing as they went. Eunbi dragged Yewon over to a little hole in the side of the enclosure, her face lit up with excitement as she turned to face her. 

“So you just put your finger in here and then they come and hold it,” Eunbi explained, poking her finger through and laughing as one of the otters came over to have a look.

Removing her finger, Eunbi took Yewon’s coffee off her. “Your turn,” she smiled brightly. 

Listening to her command, Yewon poked her finger in, laughing when the otter tightly gripped her finger.

“They have human hands, that’s so weird,” Yewon told Eunbi, who laughed as she stared at Yewon. Looking up Yewon met Eunbi’s stare, and gave her a half-smile as she pulled her hand back. Accepting her coffee again, Yewon stared at the otters, standing side by side with Eunbi, linked together by their hands.

~

~

They sat inside the cafe o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter