Chapter 20

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yewon’s car pulled outside Eunha’s apartment at eleven thirty and told her driver to wait by the curb, she got out and walked to her door. She knocked twice, listening to the muffled sounds of loud talking and footsteps. A moment later Eunha pulled the door open and pulled her inside.

“Hi!” Eunbi beamed at her, bouncing over to kiss Yewon on the cheek.

“Hello, is everyone ready yet?” Yewon asked, looking between the three, standing in front of her.

“Yeah, I just need to find my keys,” Eunha said, rushing around the room as she tried to find them.

“On the TV stand,” Eunbi told her as she picked up her bag and set it down beside the door. Eunha snatched up her keys and walked down the hallways to fetch her bag.

“Are you sure you have everything you need?” Yewon asked, “Camera? Toothbrush? Socks?”

“Yes, yes, and yes,” Eunbi smiled, coming up poking Yewon in the side, making her move away from Eunbi’s ticklish touch. Sojung walked back out of the hallway, her bag in her hand. She set it down next to Eunbi’s stuff and her eyes widened as she looked at Yewon, who had just brushed her hair back out her face, exposing her pale neck with a purple mark that makeup couldn’t hide well.

“Oh, , no way,” Sojung laughed, a gleeful look on her face as she reached out and gently prodded the hickey. Yewon quickly batted Sojung’s hand away, fixing her hair so it covered the spot once more.

“Eunha-yah! You’ll never guess what,” Sojung called out, dissolving into a fit of laughter. “Your sweet little sister has been giving her girlfriend hickeys.”

“ off, KIM!” Yewon cursed, rolling her eyes at Sojung. Eunbi stood off to the side, blushing madly as Eunha came down the hallway laughing as she carried her bag behind her.

“You kids have been busy,” Eunha smirked, rounding on Eunbi and raising her eyebrows at her.

“I wonder what your mom will say,” Sojung laughed, nudging gently in the ribs.

“I swear to God if you tell her mom I will personally hire a hitman to take you out,” Yewon growled.

“Um...are you threatening the life of a National City detective?” Sojung gasped, her eyebrows raising as she looked at Yewon with an amused expression on her face.

“No, I’m threatening the life of my- what did you say we were? Friends? The life of my friend who would like a trip to Korea in my private jet,” Yewon said smugly.

“She got you there babe,” Eunha grinned, watching the conversation with amusement.

“Fine...you’re a businesswoman through and through Kim,” Sojung sighed, looking at Yewon with approval in her eyes.

“I’m holding you to that trip to Korea though, even if I have to hijack your jet,” Sojung warned, pointing a finger at Yewon.

“Alright, enough threats,” Eunbi said, rolling her eyes, “Let’s go before we miss our train.”

Soon, all four of them were downstairs, sliding into the back of the car as Yewon’s driver put their bags in the trunk. Driving out into traffic, they made their way to the train station and Eunbi could barely sit still from the excitement of seeing her mom again.

~

~

They were three hours into their train ride and the four of them were led to their four seats facing each other with a small table in between them. Sojung had packed a deck of cards and they were playing poker to pass the time. Eunbi threw down her hand, sighing as she folded again. Yewon’s face was unreadable as she looked at both Eunha and Sojung’s faces. Eunha’s eyes narrowed slightly as she stared back intently.

Yewon turned over her cards and smiled triumphantly as Eunha and Sojung groaned in unison, throwing their cards into the middle of the table as Yewon won her seventh hand in a row.

“Well, I guess we finally found something you can beat us at,” Eunbi laughed, picking up the cards and adding them back into the deck.

“In case you were wondering, I was actually one of the best poker players at boarding school,” Yewon proudly told them, a smug smile on her place as she took the deck off Eunbi and expertly shuffled the cards.

“Yeah, You coincidentally forgot to mention that didn’t you,” Sojung snorted, picking up the cards Yewon dealt out.

“I thought you said you didn’t have any friends to play games with,” Eunbi replied, tilting her head to the side as she looked at Yewon curiously. “How did you get so good at poker?”

“Dahyun, my rival, well she was really into gambling, so of course I had to beat her. I guess I remember more than I thought I did,” Yewon explained, matter of factly, placing the deck back down on the table.

“Remind me never to bet real money against you,” Eunha mumbled, frowning down at her own cards. “You’ll end up with the keys to my apartment at this rate.”

Yewon cracked a smile, before switching to her blank face as she flipped over the first card.

~

~

Sunset came as the train pulled into the station, the four of them stood up and walked down the narrow aisle between the seats. Being the two tallest, Eunbi and Sojung got the bags down while Yewon and Eunha waited for theirs to be handed to them.

It was still warm outside, the heat from the sunny day still present, not giving way to the cool breeze of the evening. Yewon was impressed at the quietness of the town. There was the sound of cars passing by and people walking through the station, but it was a different kind of sound to the hustle of the city life she was used to.

They exited through the front doors of the station and stood on the curb as they waited for a cab. Eunha flagged down the first car to pass by and they all squeezed into the yellow car. Eunbi gave the driver the address to her mom’s house and Yewon felt a lump form in from the nerves.

For the duration of the ride, Yewon sat there in silence, growing tenser by the moment. Eventually, the cab turned up a narrow driveway and stopped outside the house at the end. Yewon looked out the window at the white wooden paneling of the house with a porch wrapping around, the bottom floor lighting up with lanterns. The smell of salt filled her nose as she stepped out of the cab.

Eunbi came up beside her and handed her the bags she brought, which Yewon accepted with a quiet thank you. Reaching out, Eunbi took Yewon’s free hand in her own and gave it a tight squeeze. “Are you ready?” Eunbi asked, buzzing with excitement as she smiled widely at Yewon.

“Mhm,” Yewon replied, taking a deep breath to settle her nerves.

“Come on then, time to meet my mom,” Eunbi said, setting off after Eunha and Sojung.

As they walked up the steps the sound of Jessica’s voice mixed in with Eunha and Sojung’s as she greeted them both with big hugs. Eunbi dropped Yewon’s hand as she ran in Jessica’s arms and Yewon stayed off to the side shyly.

“It’s so good to see you, sweetie. How are you? How was the ride?” Jessica bombarded Eunbi with questions, wrapping her daughter in a hug and holding her tightly.

“I’m good! I’ve missed you. I wish I could come down more often.” Eunbi smiled widely, pulling back slightly.

“I know,” Jessica sighed, fixing Eunbi’s collar as she looked over at Eunha, who was opening the screen door so she and Sojung could take their bags inside. “I don’t get to see my little girls nearly as much as I’d like to.”

Jessica’s attention slid back to Eunbi, before looking behind her to see Yewon, who was standing in the shadows at the top of the stairs. Her face changed into a wide smile as she stepped around Eunbi.

“And you must be Yewon!” Jessica said, crossing the porch and pulling Yewon into a warm hug. “It’s so nice to meet you. I’ve been trying to get Eunbi to bring you up here so I could meet you since she told me about you.”

“Oh.” Yewon blinked in surprise, returning the hug. “Um, it’s nice to meet you too, Mrs. Jung. Thank you for having me.”

“Please, make yourself at home. I can’t wait to get to know you better,” Jessica smiled at her, taking Yewon’s free hand and gently squeezing it. “Eunbi has already told me so much about you.”

“Don’t scare her off mom,” Eunbi laughed, opening the screen door and telling them to get it.

Just inside the door, Yewon dropped her bag to the floor and slipped her shoes off and placed them by the door. Eunbi helped her out of her coat and placed it on a hook for Yewon. “I’ll just take our bags up to my room,” Eunbi said, giving Yewon a quick smile before she darted up the stairs with their bags.

“Are you coming in Kim or are you going to stand in the hallway all night?” Sojung called from the living room and Yewon rolled her eyes before walking in. She sat down on the empty couch and Eunha and Sojung raised their eyebrows in unison, a silent question on how the introductions had gone.

Yewon gave them a small smile, before turning at the sound of Jessica’s voice. “Who wants coffee?”

At the sounds of agreement from Eunha and Sojung, Jessica looked at Yewon. “Yewon?”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter