Is It The Eggnog?

Idol Advent 2020

Kim Youngbin - SF9

 

“You look great tonight, Y/N,” Youngbin mentioned with a wide smile, and you merely stared back at him, dumbfounded. His smile eased, but only a little. “Have fun, won’t you.”

“Woah,” you breathed as he walked off across the room to talk with your roommate.

What exactly was happening?

When Jaeyoon told you he was bringing his best friend to your family’s Christmas party, you had been less than enthralled. Every interaction you had with Youngbin was usually awkward. He hardly talked to you, and when he did, there was always a time limit. You were used to saying hello and then bee-lining for your bedroom or the front door to escape the tedious moments that could transpire if left to talk any longer.

But at your family’s house, you couldn’t just up and leave without causing drama for all your relatives to discuss for years to come. So, you had been walking around, trying to avoid being in the same place as Youngbin for long.

He, however, had sourced you out – twice.

“He thinks I look good?” you murmured to yourself as you took a glass of fruit punch from the buffet table. Gulping some down to cool your thoughts, you cocked your head to the side. “Since when has my appearance ever been something he’s commented on before?”

“Usually you don’t stick around long enough for me to do so.” Whipping around, you looked at Youngbin reaching for a glass of eggnog with some intrigue. He held it up to you. “Is this stuff nice?”

“It’s an acquired taste.”

“Hm, not bad,” he announced after taking a sip and smiled again, his gaze lingering on yours before darting away. “The party’s nice.”

“This small talk is horrid, you know.”

“Well, should we get to the main topic of conversation between us?”

You narrowed your gaze. “Do we have one?”

“I guess then I’m not someone you wish to know,” he answered with a small pout, moving along to the mini dessert platters.

Instinctively following Youngbin, you reached for a plate too. “Well, I wouldn’t say that either.”

“I see.”

“You’re being rather talkative.”

“Am I? Or is it just that you’ve stayed in my company long enough to hear more from me?” he mused, pointing at the nearby door. “Quick, there’s an exit.”

“Are you teasing me?”

“Indeed.”

“Why?”

“Because you never give me a chance to talk to you. When I’m nervous, I usually babble, but around you, I always freeze up.”

“Which is when it turns awkward.”

“And you leave,” Youngbin finished off, smiling softly. He glanced at you. “Tonight, I decided I would say all the things I usually would hold off from saying.”

“Here I thought you were drunk on the eggnog,” you shot back, and Youngbin grinned.

“I’ve only just tried it.”

“Sometimes, it can pack a punch.”

“So can you, Y/N.”