PwF 07

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung sat at the vanity mirror, staring at her own reflection with mixed feelings.

All decked out in white, she had a wedding veil pinned in her hair as she was clad in a long flowy wedding dress with a long cut at the back.

The longer she stared at herself, the faster she felt tears burning her eyes.

To be really honest, she longed to see herself getting married to someone she loved. To walk to the altar, towards the future with the man of her life.

She would never say it, but she had thought about the what-ifs.

What if she wasn't the Mafia?

What if she loved the man she was marrying?

What if… the man at the altar was him?

So many what-ifs but none of them were for real. A stray tear escaped her eye, she quickly wiped it off when there was a knock on her door. She looked over her shoulder.

"Hey," she got up. "Glad you could make it."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, my only girl's getting married."

"Enough of that," she chuckled. "This hair really suits you, Jackson. I love it."

"Oh?" He leaned forward to kiss both her cheeks. "Then I'll keep this colour forever."

She bumped shoulders with him, "Where's Jinyoung and Jaebum?"

"They're outside talking to your father," he then dropped his voice. "Jinu hyung's here too, with Seunghoon."

"I wouldn't be surprised. He has always been curious about the man I'm marrying."

"So, where's the groom?" Jackson asked, changing the topic. "I gotta meet him."

"He's in his changing room, but why? You'll see him later anyway."

"I've got orders from Jaebum, to warn the man to never hurt you. Although… I highly doubt he'd be able to do that." He winked. "Besides, I want to intimidate him a little too. Take care of my precious little bean."

Sojung pretended to gag. He laughed.

"Okay, come on," he held his arm out. "It's time for you to step out."

She gave him a curious look, "You're walking me down the aisle?"

"Your dad is waiting outside." He then whispered, "He's afraid he wouldn't be able to control his tears if he comes in here."

"Sehun?"

"No one's seen him yet, but I saw Kun earlier. Sehun's probably coming soon."

Jackson straightened his back, Sojung mimicking his actions.

"Now, let's go."

 

Sojung was led outside her room and she saw her father back facing her. A wave of emotions suddenly surges through her when her father turned around.

I'm really getting married.

The thought made her nose burn. Jackson excused him and went to find his team. She swallowed her rising tears and gave her father a smile.

"Hey, father. How do I look?"

"Beautiful." He said in a soft voice. "You look just like your mom."

The both of them stood in silence before Mr Oh offered his arm to her. She took it and he held her securely by his side, patting her hand on his arm.

"Are you ready?"

Light music started playing and Sojung took a deep breath.

"Let's do this."

 

*

 

Johnny was pacing up and down in his own changing room. The thought of marriage and settling down was finally weighing down on him and he didn't know how or what to feel.

"Relax!" Yuta grabbed his wrist and pulled him to the sofa. "Why are you so panicky for?"

"I've never seen you like this, except for that one time in high school." Taeyong pointed out. "Are you finally realizing you're gonna be a married man?"

"I… I don't know how to be a husband, guys. After one hour, I'll be a man responsible for the life of a woman. I can't handle that."

Mark looked up from his mobile, "Sis-in-law looks like someone who can take care of herself, you don't have to worry about that."

"Right, and the men around her? You better worry about yourself," Jaehyun joked. "Have you guys seen the number of men outside?"

"Right! I've been meaning to ask you guys," Mark scooted closer to his friends. "This is the first time I've seen so many men in black at one location. All of them look so formal and cool that it was intimidating."

"It's a formal event, Markie." Yuta chuckled. "We've all gotta be dressed to the nines."

"I gotta admit though," Taeyong spoke up. "Mark's right about the men. Their aura's so overwhelming. What do you think they do?"

"I don't know man," Johnny buried his face in his hands. "Is this how you're supposed to feel when you're getting married?"

"Nervous? Worried? Scared?"

The four friends chimed and Jaehyun patted Johnny's back.

"The jitters are normal, my friend."

There was a knock on the door, it was the wedding planner.

"Time to go, Mr Seo. Your bride's ready."

Johnny's friends pulled him to his feet, giving him and his outfit a final check. They nodded and pushed him towards the door.

"You follow the planner, we'll head to the venue to sit down. Remember to smile and don't shake!"

 

***

 

Sojung stood outside the doors with her father. She tightened her grip on Mr Oh's arm, making him look at her.

"You alright, baby?"

She paused at the pet name she used to hear when she was a kid.

"Yeah. I'm good."

Music started playing and Mr Oh took a deep breath. The doors opened, prompting the father and daughter pair to start walking.

 

Johnny stood at the end of the aisle, he could feel his knees shake as everyone was chatting. He felt someone pat him on his shoulder, it was Yuta.

"Calm down. You'll do fine."

He took a deep breath. The venue became silent when the doors slowly opened. When he laid eyes on Sojung, all his feelings of nervousness went straight out the window.

The way the lights were set up and her outfit, she looked like an absolute goddess. He couldn't help but let a smile take over his lips as his eyes fixated on his bride.

 

Sojung felt eyes on her the moment she started walking. She saw Sehun at the front, giving her a small grin.

"Smile," he mouthed.

She obliged. Important members of her Clan were there, WMW were all decked out nicely. She saw Mr and Mrs Seo on the right, the woman was wiping her tears.

Sojung's gaze then landed on the man standing at the end of the red carpet, waiting for her.

For a split moment, she saw him instead.

Her breathing hitched, tears started swimming in her eyes. She willed herself to not cry and reached the end of the walk. Her father took her hand and placed it in Johnny's.

She blinked her thoughts and tears away.

"I'm handing my daughter to you, please take good care of her."

"I will, Sir." Johnny guided Sojung towards the front.

The whole time, she couldn't keep her eyes off Johnny. The vision of her marrying him was overwhelming.

"Sojung?"

Johnny's gentle tone shook her from her thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"Are you okay?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I am."

 

"Thank you for gathering here today to witness the holy matrimony between two beautiful people."

The pastor then faced Johnny.

"Do you, Seo Youngho Johnny, take Oh Sojung as your lawfully wedded wife? In sickness or in health, in good or the bad, that you'll love her and never leave her side, till death do you part?"

Johnny swallowed, gazing at Sojung.

"I do."

The pastor repeated the question to Sojung. She took a deep breath, stunned for a moment. Johnny gave her a concerned look, gently shaking her hand.

"Y-Yes. I do."

"Alright," he closed his book. "Is there anyone who objects to this marriage? Speak now or forever hold your silence."

No one spoke up, Johnny heaved a sigh of relief.

"Great! Now I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Johnny removed Sojung's veil, asking her with his eyes if he could kiss her. She blinked slowly, leaning her head forward. He held her cheeks and placed his thumb on her lips.

Her eyes rounded when he leaned forward to kiss her but his lips were on his thumb. For the first time, she was impressed. He respected her and decided against kissing her directly.

Johnny broke the kiss and laced his hands with hers as cheers erupted from the audience. He gave her a little squeeze when she was still slightly stunned from earlier.

She turned to the audience. She noticed her father was wiping away manly tears while Sehun had his sunglasses on, clapping monotonously, but she could recognize that hint of a smile.

WMW were all staring at Johnny while clapping their hands when they noticed her looking at them, they gave her several thumbs up. The second-generation Clan were standing together, watching the couple in amusement.

Her eyes then gazed over to Johnny's side of people. His parents were grinning so hard, the ends of their lips could reach their ears. His friends were whistling and waving their hands in excitement.

She then gave her husband a short glance.

He was smiling, he never made the attempt to pull away from her. He caught her looking and winked, she turned back to the front, flustered at the action.

This was going to be a hell of a ride.

 

When the ceremony was over, Sojung and Johnny were separated to mingle with the guests. She went over to the Elders and had several glasses of drinks with them. Johnny watched her from afar, he found his eye-line navigating to her no matter where he was.

"It turns out that the man I saw the other day was her brother," Mark motioned to the male following beside Sojung.

Everyone turned to look at Sehun.

"Why does he wear sunglasses indoors?" Jaehyun blurted.

"That's a style," Taeyong pointed. "You'll never understand."

Jaehyun elbowed his friend in the stomach and turned to Johnny.

"Your wife's really beautiful today. You should count your blessings." 

"Especially with all these good looking men around her, you better count your lucky stars. She could have chosen any one of them, but she chose you." Yuta said. "And for me to even utter men and good-looking in the same sentence is already a miracle. For you to get her as your wife… Boy, you must have saved the world in your previous life."

Johnny rolled his eyes, swinging his arms around his friends and giving them headlocks.

"I'm the groom. Shouldn't you guys at least compliment me too?"

"It's our duty to look out for our sis-in-law. You can take care of yourself."

"Hey, look over there," Mark spoke up.

 

"Congratulations, Hyun-Oh." The Clan Elders shook Mr Oh's hand as they pulled him aside to chat.

Mingyu walked over and handed Sojung a glass of water. She took it gratefully and he returned to his post outside the building.

Jaebum and Jinu approached her, their teams behind them. JB leaned forward and hugged Sojung, his hands respectfully on her back.

"Our rose is married now," he stated. "I don't know if I should be happy for you or worried for your husband."

Sojung chuckled.

"We'll be alright, JB-ah. Jinyoung, thanks for coming." She toasted.

Jinu s his arm around Sojung's waist and pulled her close to him. She didn't pay much attention to the contact and tapped her glass against his.

"Thank you too, J. For coming."

"Anything for you." He gently nudged her temple with his head. "I wish you all the happiness in the world."

She nodded and the weight of his arm was lifted off her waist. Jinu turned and took his arm back from Sehun. A g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter