PwF 14

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minah and her partner followed Johnny into the meeting room and settled down. Mingyu and Sojung arrived minutes after, ready to have that discussion. Johnny excused him and was heading out the door when Sojung stopped him.

“You should listen in too,” she stated. “More exposure is good for you.”

That was how he was caught in a meeting for 2 hours. He learnt quite a bit during the discussion, especially how Sojung carried herself.

 

After the meeting, Sojung thanked Minah and Johnny sent them off to the lift. While waiting, Mingyu called her partner back to hand him some documents. 

Johnny stared at the ascending numbers, not knowing what to say or how to act around Minah.

“So,” she started. “Are you single, married or it’s complicated?”

He cleared his throat, “Uhm, I… I’m mar-- it’s complicated.”

Minah pressed her lips together, nodding her head lightly.

“How about you? I heard you migrated to the States with your fiance a while back?”

“Well, we broke up when we were there, so I came back and started work.”

“What? Why? What happened?”

When she was silent, Johnny cursed himself for being so insensitive. Minah let out a breath and forced a smile on her face as she faced him.

“He thinks I’m not pretty, so when we went to the States barely 3 months later, he hooked up with a Caucasian.”

Johnny’s hands tightened into fists, “How could he be like that?”

She shrugged.

“Who knows, but I am thankful. At least I’m not married to some playboy.”

Johnny froze at her words and cleared his throat as the lift doors opened.

“I wish you all the best and happiness in your life,” he beamed at her. “If you ever need a listening ear or just a meal buddy, you can call me. My number’s still the same.”

Minah nodded with a genuine smile. She blinked her forming tears away and leaned in to kiss his cheeks. Johnny stilled - for the nth time. 

Her partner arrived, Johnny stepped away and waved at the two of them as the doors closed. Only when the lift started descending that he finally heaved a huge sigh of relief. He glanced inside the meeting room and saw Mingyu whispering to Sojung, whose facial expressions hardened over.

He quickly darted into the next lift, to check on his colleagues on the 8th floor.

 

*

 

“How are you guys doing?”

Johnny asked his employees when he stepped into the office. Everyone gave him a tired thumbs up, he chuckled and mimicked their actions. He clapped his hands together.

“Thank you guys for putting effort in your work,” he started. “I understand the shift in leadership and the work environment affected everyone here, but things will be better.”

“Yes, sir!”

 

Johnny returned to the 13th floor and went to the pantry to make some coffee when he remembered Sojung needed coffee in the morning. He wasn’t sure if she had hers already, but he wanted to make some amends, or at least show her that he cared.

Especially after the meeting earlier, she made sure he was kept in the loop and had his opinions voiced out.

He knocked on Sojung’s door, assuming she had already returned to her room. He had her mug in his hand. When there was no answer, he pushed the door open and stepped inside the empty office.

“Hmm?”

He set the mug on the table and turned to leave.

His phone chimed, it was a text from Kimmy.

 

Kimmy

Johnny, Bora and I need your help with a report, could you help us?

 

Johnny left a note on Sojung’s desk and left her office, notifying her that the coffee was from him and not some weird person who broke in. He shook his head at his own crazy thinking and headed to the lift.

He met with his two colleagues at the entrance, they held his arms, pulling him towards one of the conference rooms to discuss the report. 

Sojung left the discussion room she was at, just as the three of them disappeared into a conference room. Her brows knitted, she motioned for Mingyu to return to her office while she checked things out. She had her hands on the door’s handle when she heard the conversation inside the room.

 

“Johnny, can’t you help us do this instead?”

“We have a date to get to tonight, this report’s going to make us work overtime. You won’t want our boyfriends to be mad at us, right?”

“Johnny~ Please?”

“That unreasonable Miss Oh wouldn’t be as mad at you if you OT-ed.”

 

Sojung heard Johnny chuckling, she let out a breath and was about to enter the room, to put them in their places, when she heard Johnny’s response.

“I can’t do that.”

“But you used to~”

I used to, but things have changed now. I can’t always help you guys, it’s not going to help the company.”

Sojung had a hint of a smile when she heard him. She wiped it from her face and pushed the doors open, “If you two used the time spent trying to get Youngho to do your work for you, on your reports, you would be done by now.”

The trio whipped around, shock evident in their eyes when they saw Sojung standing at the door with her arms crossed. Kimmy and Bora scurried behind Johnny, hiding from the girl and her glares.

“If you think I’ll go easy on Mr Seo just because he’s the son of Kia, you are wrong,” she deadpanned. “Miss Wong, Miss Kim, I believe you know the penalties I’ve imposed on my rules.”

“Docking of our salary,” Kimmy whispered, nudging Bora.

“But--”

Johnny switched gazes between his employees and his wife, “Ladies, I’ll speak to Miss Oh. Go back to work first.”

Sojung stepped aside, letting the ladies leave. She cast Johnny a disappointed look before stalking off. He cursed under his breath.

“Wait!”

He chased after her.

 

“Sojung-ah,” Johnny called after her. “Sojung!”

They were at the corridor when he reached out and grabbed her arm, stopping her from walking further. She whipped around, snatching her arm back.

“I can’t believe they actually asked you to finish their work for them,” she huffed. “It’s their responsibility to get work done. They can’t just rely on you just because they know you are soft towards women!”

“Why are you being so mad? I said no, didn’t I?”

Sojung rolled her eyes and marched forward, a thought then struck Johnny.

“Is this about yesterday? I know you are mad about what happened, but shouldn't you draw a line between private and work matters? You're mad at me, but why take it out of the two of them?”

She gave him an incredulous look.

“Seriously? You think I’m doing this because I'm mad at you? God damn it. Youngho, you think too much of yourself.” She scoffed. “I told you before, I always draw a line between work and life. You’re the one who’s mixing them both.”

Johnny his lips in annoyance and sat down.

“They’re asking me for help, what’s wrong with that?”

“There’s nothing wrong with asking for help. It’s how they’re doing it.” She shook her head. “They are obviously milking off the fact that you’re soft for women. They’re taking that to their advantage.”

“Are you concerned about me being around women? If that’s the reason why you’re mad, then you don’t have to be. I only deal with work in Kia. It’s not like I forgot you’re my wife.”

She chuckled, feeling absurd.

How self-centred was Johnny to think that he mattered that much to her, to affect her mood?

“I’m not worried about that, but even if you did, it wouldn't be the first time you forgot that you have a wife. It’s not the first time I see you hang out with other women that you forget plans with me. I’m starting to get used to it.”

 

He paused at her words.

He knew he hadn’t been a good husband. He hadn’t been keeping up with the promises they both made about working together.

He didn’t realise that his actions could impact Sojung.

Not until now.

Johnny didn’t hear her complain about anything, so he started taking things for granted. Sojung did not cling to him or call him constantly made him assume she was busy and didn’t need him at all, which made him complacent.

No matter what, she was still a woman and she married him. He should be responsible for her, no matter how independent she was.

He was learning things he never understood would be important.

“I--”

“I have to get back to work. We can talk about this after. I'll not suspend them, get them to submit their work before the end of working hours today.”

"But they said--"

She sighed, "Do I look to be an unreasonable person? Trust you to only trust those you are biased to."

Sojung took a step back to leave, she didn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter