PwF 26

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Johnny trailed behind Sojung as the couple walked down the quiet street at night. They ended work late, had delivery for supper and decided to take a small stroll back home - they didn’t live that far away. 

He was staring at her back, thinking about recent events.

Sojung could hear his footsteps behind her but they sounded slow and far. She glanced over her shoulder and stopped walking.

“Youngho?”

“H-Huh?”

She huffed and stepped towards him.

“What are you thinking about? You seem so out of it.” She folded her arms. “Is this about Kai?”

Johnny’s face straightened.

"What? No."

"Then why are you so distracted?"

"I was just thinking about what you said earlier," he reached for her hands. "About me being in more trouble if I knew what was going on?"

She nodded, listening intently, letting him play with her fingers while he thought of what to say next.

"I want you to know that you don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself."

"What?" She let out a small chuckle. "How?"

"I mean, you can focus on whatever issue your Clan is facing now. I'll just stay in the back and not affect your business, but in return, I hope you feel comfortable enough with me to share your problems."

Sojung's smile melted away.

"Youngho…"

"I know, I know. I sound pushy. But… just hear me out," he dropped his head. "It's true I don't know much about the Mafia, I didn't even know they would be able to survive in a strict country like this."

His thumbs the back of her hands.

"I want you to know, I have your back."

Sojung let go of his hands and threw her arms around his neck, pressing her body with his in a hug. He wasn't expecting that and he stayed in an arm-spread position for a minute.

His arms fell around her after he registered the hug.

"Thanks, Youngho-ya." She looked up at him. "I appreciate that."

She pulled away, wanting to start walking again when Johnny caught her wrist. He slowly slid his hand down to hers and placed their hands together.

Sojung didn't say a word and held onto him. He hid his growing smile as both of them strolled in the calming night breeze.

 

That was until Sojung felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand. Her eyes darted around slowly, to not alarm Johnny - who had that -eating grin on his face.

 

A group of men were heading in their direction, Johnny tugged his wife closer to himself.

He had seen how men thirst after his wife every time she was out and he didn't want to waste any chance at protecting her.

Johnny figured that since she was always doing the protecting, he could one day repay her by being her shield.

 

"Hmm?"

He turned his wife when she tensed up and tightened her hold on his hand.

"What's--"

"Nothing," she pulled him in the other direction. "Let's walk this way home."

"But--"

"Let's just do it."

He nodded dumbly, letting her tug him. He kept his eyes on her, concerned at how strange she was acting all of a sudden.

They were almost till the end of the street when Sojung stopped walking. She turned in another direction but halted again, making Johnny bump into her.

"Sojung-ah?"

"Youngho, when I tell you to run later, do it."

"Why?"

He glanced up from her, finally realizing the cause of her weird behaviour. She pushed him behind herself as another group menaced towards them from the front, with bats.

 

"Oh Sojung?" One of the guys stepped up.

"Who wants to know?"

He smirked, "The guy who wants you to stop meddling in his business."

Sojung scoffed, she stepped forward to the guy while smiling in amusement. As she left Johnny's side, she tapped his arm twice, signalling for him to contact Wonwoo.

"Is he such a coward that he didn't dare come face him himself?"

"He says you're not worth his time."

Johnny took this chance and slipped his hand into his pocket but the guys behind him caught sight of his action and one sprang forward to twist Johnny's arm.

Sojung spun around at the sound of his yelp. That moment of distraction gave the man a small window to swing the bat onto Sojung's back. She fell forward, into the arms of her husband.

"Run!"

She grabbed Johnny's arm and shoved the men around as hard as she could be sprinting off with him.

"Get her!"

Someone shouted and heavy footsteps thudded after the couple.

Sojung and Johnny ran like their lives depended on it. She could stop and fight, but Johnny was around, she didn’t want him to get hurt. She wouldn’t be able to explain his injuries to his parents.

She reached for her phone in her back pocket and dialled Wonwoo’s number.

She didn’t see where she was going and stepped into a hole in the ground. She stumbled and dropped her phone. She let go of Johnny’s hand, turning back to grab her mobile.

Although she could contact her men in other ways, there were documents in her phone that would create more trouble if they leaked.

A youngster saw the chance and sprinted towards Sojung, swinging the bat. She kicked him in the leg before he could reach her, sending him sprawling to the ground, the bat rattling along the pavement. Sojung used her foot to stop the rolling bat and grabbed it, eyes pinned on the approaching trouble. She threw a glance over her shoulder.

“Call Wonwoo,” she shoved the phone to Johnny’s hand. “I’ll take care of things.”

She steadied herself, bat ready to swing and charged at the men.

She jammed the of the bat against the thigh of the first guy, quickly swinging the bat up to his chin, immediately flooring the male. She ducked as the second guy swung his fist at her, bringing the weapon down across the third guy’s chest and face, before turning back to hit the second man on the back of his knee.

Johnny watched her, his hands shaking. He was in a dilemma, he wanted to help her but he didn’t want to hinder her and become a burden just for her to worry.

She smacked the bat upon the floored male’s chest, incapacitating him.

“What the hell are you doing?!” Sojung yelled, ducking from an attack. “Call him!”

“O-Okay!”

His eyes followed her worriedly as he waited for Wonwoo to answer.

Sojung caged an attacker’s arm and twisted it so hard, Johnny could swear he saw the shoulder dislocate.

“Young Miss?”

A guy got up from the floor and punched Johnny in his solar plexus.

"Wonwoo! We're in trouble!" He shouted into the phone, gasping from the blow. "We're just around the corner of the 9th street!"

The call ended with a click with no sound of acknowledgement, Johnny thought Wonwo didn’t hear him clearly. He was going to call again, when he glanced over and noticed a guy raising his bat over his head, wanting to land on Sojung's while she was distracted.

"So! Look out!"

She whipped around and kicked the guy in his knees, she grabbed his wrists and slammed him on the ground, twisting her body in a way that created more pain for the male, forcing him to drop the weapon.

"Young Miss!"

A voice joined them and a few flashes of black figures flew past Johnny, attacking the men. Wonwoo rushed towards Sojung, who was bruising on the corner of her lips and helped her away from the brawl.

“Youngho! Youngho,” she shook her dizzy head while reaching back, hoping to grab Johnny’s hand. “Where is he?”

“Rest here, Young Miss. I’ll go get him.”

Wonwoo dashed off, Sojung closed her eyes to steady herself. The blow she had earlier was starting to affect her vision. Wonwoo threw a concerned glance at her and grabbed Johnny’s arm as he neared the male.

“Wonwoo? How did you get here so fast? Where’s Sojung?”

“She’s there, get to her! I’ll take care of things.”

Wonwoo snapped his fingers and dashed into the fight with a couple of his men. Johnny ran back to Sojung, he was focused on getting back to her, that he wasn’t looking out for himself. Sojung looked for him in the mess, a guy was creeping up behind him.

“Youngho!”

She ignored the throbbing in her head and ran to him. She pulled him by the arm and stood in his place. When he realised what she was doing, he switched their positions again, covering her with his body.

The bat connected with a loud crack and Sojung felt her husband's weight on her back. A loud screeching of wheels echoed in the air.

"Young Miss!"

The couple looked up at the sound of Wonho's voice and the attacker from before was quickly removed from Sojung's presence.

"Let's go!" Mingyu yelled from the vehicle.

Wonho held Johnny firmly as they made their way to the car.

"Woo and I will take care of this, we'll see you at the Clan Home later."

He glanced at Johnny and tapped the roof of the car. Mingyu gave him a curt nod and drove off. Sojung cast Johnny worried looks, he seemed out of it, his eyes squeezed shut from the throbbing pain.

"Youngho?" She whispered, her hand on his thigh. "You okay?"

He smiled weakly at her, reaching up to hold her face.

"I'm okay. Are you okay?"

"I'll live," she shook her head. "Why did you do that? He could have hurt you bad."

 

Mingyu watched the couple through the rearview mirror, his eyes pinned on Johnny.

When he saw him throwing himself over Sojung just to take a hit, he was impressed.

Never had he thought the playboy would sacrifice himself.

 

"I was worried about you," Johnny straightened his back. "You took some damage too."

His thumb gently swiped on the bruise on her face.

"It must have hurt."

Sojung couldn't speak, the last time someone said that to her… was 4 years ago.

"I'm really okay. Don't worry about me," she scooted away. "Worry about yourself."

His brows furrowed when she moved away from him. He brushed it aside and closed his eyes.

"Gyu, call Jongin. Tell him to meet me at the Clan Home."

"Clan Home?"

Johnny's eyes snapped open again. 

"Where's that?"

"You'll know when we arrive."

 

***

 

"Woah," Johnny gaped as Mingyu drove up the road to the property. "This is the Clan Home?"

"Yeap. This is where we have our meetings."

The car came to a stop. Sojung let out a breath of relief when she realised the home was empty. She was not in the mood to meet any Elders at that moment.

They would bombard her with so many questions, she would probably be rude to them.

"Oh? Jongin hyung is already here."

Sojung peered out the window, waving when she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter