PwF 01

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hand this file over to Jeon in Finance, he'll know what to do with it. Call Mira from Marketing, I need that quarter-year report from her ASAP. Kibum and his team better be prepared for their presentation or I'm leaving. Mingyu, what else is on my schedule?"

A tall, elegant lady walked briskly to the conference room with three men trailing after her. Mingyu was uniform with her speed as he updated her on her day's schedule.

"Young Miss, you have a meeting with Big Hit Entertainment on Samsung's new ambassadors and a product update meeting in the afternoon. Your father is requesting your attendance tonight."

The lady nodded. She stood outside to take a deep breath, resetting her entire demeanor and pushing the smoked glass doors open. All the employees in the room stood up to greet her. She held her palm up.

“Settle down,” she said authoritatively. “Talk to me. Jina, what are the updates on the new retail store in Singapore? Are the designs done? Kibum, you’re next with potential projects for Samsung. Lena, the analysis of customers’ satisfaction and reviews; hand the file over to me. Has the PR team sent phones to our ambassadors?”

The meeting immediately went into focus the moment the lady sat down. 

 

Nearly 3 hours later, people got to their feet and bowed again at the lady before filing out of the room. Mingyu handed a couple of files to her, for her signature on them. She got up after signing them, leaving the conference room with the three men following behind her.

“It’s lunch, let’s go.”

The four of them waited at the lifts when one of the doors opened. Employees of Samsung started pouring out - seemingly to have returned from their own lunch-time. When they noticed the lady and her men, they bowed their heads and shifted to the side, giving way to them.

One of the men held the lift doors as the trio entered. No one else dared to enter the lift. Mingyu gave the employees another glance and shut the doors.

“Wonho, I’ll see you at the entrance.”

The said male tilted his head and pressed on the basement lift button. As the lift descended and neared the first level, one of the men's mobile vibrated.

"What's wrong, Woo?"

Wonwoo had a grim look on his face after reading the text message.

"There's trouble in the lobby. Some guy's drunk and making a scene."

"And?"

"He's looking for you."

The lady's eyes narrowed as the lift stopped. The lift doors opened, Wonwoo stopped her and walked out first to make sure the lift lobby was clear of weird men before letting her step out. Mingyu followed behind the lady as Wonho continued to descend.

 

"Oh Sojung, you ing ! Come out and face me right now!"

The entire lobby of Samsung was filled with his drunken shouts. Employees were huddled together, pointing and discussing the scene in front of them, not knowing if they should interfere or not.

"Oh Sojung!”

“Don’t you have the guts to face me? Hiding behind your emails and official letters to fire the only Director that has been with the company since your mother was the CEO.”

The lady stepped out of the lift lobby, a deadpan expression on her face. The drunk man noticed her presence and pointed his finger at her while walking towards her. Wonwoo and Mingyu stood in front of Sojung, the drunk man paused, his intoxicated brain registering the men before him. Sojung watched the male and recognized him.

"Kim Jisoo, what are you doing here? I fired you last week."

"You! You! My wife took the kids and left me because you ing fired me! It's your fault!"

Sojung tapped her guards and folded her arms as they made way for her. She stood in front of Jisoo.

"Are you sure it's my fault?" She asked. "I fired you because you misused your power as Head of Finance. Embezzling company funds to fuel your gambling addiction and debts? Do you honestly think the company's going to pay your bills?"

The male chewed the inside of his cheek in anger.

"I could have sued and landed your in prison, but I didn't. Firing you was me going easy on you."

She dropped her arms and glanced at the sides. Her employees scurried away at the sight of her daunting glare, leaving the lobby empty. She saw the car drive up and dusted her outfit.

"Now, I'm giving you two options." She stated. "One, pay back the missing funds and I'll drop the matter, but you're not getting your job back."

She leaned closer.

"Second, you leave my building before I call the cops. This time, I'll make sure you rot in prison and you'll never be able to see your kids."

The guy let out a roar at her words and charged towards the girl. His fingers barely grazed her neck while Wonwoo tackled him to the ground. He twisted the male's arm on his back, applying just enough strength to force him into submission.

Security came running over, bowing in apology for being late.

Sojung shook her head and raised her hand, "I don't want to hear it. Make sure nothing like this ever happens again."

The guards nodded and took Jisoo from Wonwoo. She rolled her neck, gently squeezing her shoulders, a pissed looked on her face. She took a deep breath and walked towards the waiting car. Wonho opened the passenger’s side door for her while Mingyu went to the driver’s.

Wonwoo and Wonho shared a look and shrugged, waving at the driver in the black sedan and getting into the backseats. Sojung smiled when she heard the door close and Mingyu started driving.

“Let’s try that new Japanese soba restaurant,” she said while digging into her bag for her phone. “Sehun wants to hear what I think about the place.”

 

***

 

It was dark when Sojung finally drove up to the Clan Home.

The Clan Home was a common ground for the three families to gather, for dinner or for meetings. Sojung and Sehun’s father was the current Clan Leader, he oversaw the activities within the clan and to maintain order between the people.

It was widely understood - although there was no word confirmation - that Sojung was the next leader to take over their father’s spot.

Mingyu opened the car door as Wonwoo and Wonho stepped out of the car behind them. They stood by the doors, a group of housemaids came running out. They stood at both sides of the door in a single file, bowing 90 degrees as Sojung walked up the path.

“Are we the first ones here?” She asked the housekeeper.

“Master Sehun is having tea inside with Elder Oh.” The older woman bowed. “I have informed them of your arrival.”

She glanced over her shoulder at her guards, she put her hands in her pockets and entered the front garden, where her brother and father were sitting. She grabbed a chair, setting it down beside her brother. 

“Ge, Pa.”

“You’re here.”

Sehun eyed his sister as their father held his arms out, Sojung moved to hug her father.

“How have you been, dear daughter?”

She broke the hug and sat down.

“I’m doing alright, thanks for asking.”

Elder Oh chuckled, “Why are you being so formal with me? I’m your father.”

Sojung just smiled at his words, Sehun continued to sip on his tea.

“Omo, so sorry for being late, Hyun-Oh!” A feminine voice entered the space.

Sojung and Sehun got to their feet and greeted the woman. Following behind this woman were a couple of men. She squealed and held her hands out to touch the siblings.

“The twins,” she cooed. “It’s been so long.”

Her son strolled up behind her. His appearance made Sehun crack a smirk. 

“Im Jaebum,” he gave his friend a curt nod.

“Oh Sehun,” Jaebum called and turned to Sojung, a teasing smile on his lips. “Young Miss. Are we drinking--"

“Are you guys starting without me?”

Another person joined them. The youngsters recognized the voice and the expensive shoes clicking on the wooden floor, towards them. Sojung took a deep breath and turned to look at the new-comer.

“Sehun, Jaebum,” he greeted with a smirk, his eyes then shifted over to Sojung, eyeing her up and down. "Young Miss.”

“Jinu.”

It had always been an unspoken rule to call Sojung by ‘Young Miss’ instead of her name. She was the only girl in the Clan, the other Elders only either had sons or had no children at all. It started off as the children teasing each other, until their early twenties, when it was getting obvious that the younger Oh was going to be picked as the next Clan leader.

Now, the term just sounded like an insult. She didn’t mind Jaebum calling her that, since he was the one who started it, but whenever it came from Jinu, it was a turn-off.

"Now that we're all here," Elder Oh clapped his hands and motioned towards the dining area. "Let's have dinner."

He walked first, Sehun following behind him. Sojung glanced around and the other Elders nodded at her, Jinu had a cheeky grin on his face as he sized her up, bowing ever so slightly to urge her to walk in front.

"You're being too gentleman-like today, Kim Jinu." Her tone was cold. "Should I be worried?"

"Oh no, Young Miss. It's just basic co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter