PwF 34

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung rubbed her temples, Samsung’s issues had just been rectified and now Kia’s having issues with the advertising of their new vehicle.

She was in a meeting with the head of departments, wanting to find a solution to the problem.

Johnny was in the meeting too. His eyes kept drifting towards his wife, but she paid him no attention. He glanced around the room and saw how his employees were all wrecking their heads to think of something. He let out a breath.

“Is there something you would like to share, Mr Seo?”

He faced the speaker, Sojung was watching him and watching for his answer.

“I, uh, no,” he stuttered and lowered his gaze. “I have nothing.”

She let out a breath through her nose and addressed the room, “I doubt we’ll be able to think of anything right now. I want everyone to think of solutions and hand them to me by the end of the day. Meeting’s dismissed.”

People started filing out of the room, leaving Sojung with her team and Johnny. He got up from his chair, ready to leave when he cast her a glance over his shoulder. She was back to rubbing her temples as Mingyu briefed her from his iPad.

it.

He his heels and marched to the quartet. Mingyu, Wonho and Wonwoo turned at the same time to give him a quiet stare while Sojung tilted her head, bored.

“What?”

He took a deep breath, “Go out for lunch with me. I have something to say to you.”

“No. I’m busy.” She closed her eyes and snapped her fingers. “Mingyu, go on.”

“Yes, Young Miss--”

“It’s important,” Johnny interrupted him. “I need to speak to you.”

He trudged forward and grabbed Sojung’s wrist, yanking her to her feet and to the door. She let him drag her, holding a hand up to her team to stop them from coming after them. She swung his arm off her as they reached the lift lobby when they were alone.

“What is it?”

“Have lunch with me. I know a really good Italian place.” he took a deep breath. “I have something to say to you.”

“Can’t you say it here?”

He shook his head, “No.”

“Okay fine,” Sojung gave in. “I’ll go grab my bag. See you downstairs."

He watched her stalk off, before patting his chest to calm his racing heart. He was half expecting her to beat him up, or her team to wallop him. He heaved a sigh of relief and punched the air to give himself a little confidence boost.

 

***

 

“Let’s order the Margherita penne since you’re not a fan of super spicy food,” Johnny nodded at the waiter as he suggested food options to Sojung. “Or would you like something else?”

The waiter came over, ready to take their orders when Sojung looked up, side-eyeing the youngster.

“I’m not ready to order, could you come back later?”

He gulped and nodded before scurrying away. Johnny pressed his lips together, gathering himself. Sojung folded her arms and leaned back against her seat.

“What is it you want to speak to me about?”

Her tone was cold. It fazed Johnny but he pushed all his thoughts aside.

Here goes nothing.

“I don’t want a divorce,” he started. “I… I really don’t want this to end.”

His confession gave her a surprise. Her eyes sparkled just a second as she stared at him, studying his facial expressions to see if he was ing with her.

He wasn’t.

It hurt Sojung more, to know that he was trying his best to at least keep their marriage afloat. Not that it was very smooth-sailing in the first place anyway, but this felt different.

He was different from the first time they met.

She carried too much danger on her to feel love.

Which was why she had to do this.

“You’re thinking too much,” she scoffed, mocking his words. “Did you really think I would stay in this ridiculous marriage just because of what you've just said?”

While Johnny registered her words, she reached for her phone and stealthily typed a message to Jongin.

“I don’t care how sharp your words are anymore, Sojung. I’ve known you long enough to know your bark is worse than your bite.” He dropped his head. “I--”

Her phone vibrated with a reply, her expressions hardened. She looked up, stopping him mid-sentence and reached for her bag.

“This is for you,” she slid papers over to him. “Today is the last day, Seo Youngho, sign them.”

Johnny’s shoulders sagged.

“Sojung-ah…”

“I want this to end. You and I are different people, we don’t belong in the same world. Sign them.”

Johnny reached for the papers shakily, his heart fell when he saw that she had already signed. She threw him a pen; the stationery rolled over to him, falling over the edge and landed on his lap.

“You really want me to sign this, huh?”

“Yes.”

He stared straight at her, “Give me a good reason why. I don’t believe after all this time together, you don’t actually feel anything for me.”

“One reason?” She chuckled. “Babe, I can easily give you 10.”

Her phone vibrated again.

“But all you need is this one.”

“Hey, little lion.”

Johnny and Sojung both turned towards the newcomer, his eyes narrowed when Jongin walked in. He stared as the doctor stood next to Sojung. She got to her feet, Jongin immediately held her waist and pulled her closer to him while leaning forward to kiss her cheek.

Johnny’s jaw slacked.

“You…”

Sojung tilted her head at him, “I need a man who isn’t afraid to be with me. He needs to know how I operate and Kai’s the best person for that. You understand that deep down, you just don’t want to accept it.”

Johnny let out a breath, “So this is your reason? This is why you want a divorce?”

“I mean,” Sojung admired Jongin’s side profile as she pressed her lips lightly on his jawline, letting her lips linger on him a little longer. “Isn’t this obvious?”

Jongin was just looking at Johnny, but he could catch the smug look and condescending smile.

It was like Jongin was telling him: It has always been like that.

Johnny stared at the couple in front of him, then at the papers, his grip tightening around the pen. A low chuckle escaped his lips as he shook his head.

“And to think I was going to tell you I love you,” he whispered. “I guess you wouldn’t care.”

 

I love you.

Jongin could feel Sojung stiffen up next to him at the husband’s words, he squeezed her waist to remind her to stay in character. She gripped his arm in response.

“You want me to sign them?” Johnny looked up. “There. Signed. Congratulations, you have finally gotten rid of me.”

He threw the papers and pen at Sojung’s feet. He got up, sending a hurtful glare to the couple and stormed off. Sojung refused to watch him go, her gaze pinned on the crumpled but signed divorce agreement lying at her feet.

The moment she knew Johnny had left, her knees buckled and she fell to the ground. Jongin caught her and slid down with her. He let the girl lean against his chest.

“Thanks,” she choked out. “I owe you one.”

He shook his head wordlessly, pressing her head against his cheek as he hugged her tightly. Sojung could feel her chest constricting as Johnny’s words replayed in her head - again and again.

I love you.

“He said he loved me,” she whispered. “He said he…”

“I heard it, doll. I heard him.”

She just stayed in his arms in silence, her eyes unfocused and her mind in a whirlpool.

Jongin could feel Sojung crack in his hold, he just didn’t want to say it out. He knew her, she would rather put on a strong facade, than show the world - even Jongin - that she was breaking down.

 

*

 

Sojung gathered herself and got to her feet, Jongin supporting her as she dusted her outfit. She smiled at him, an attempt to show him she was alright.

“Thanks,” she nodded. “For coming down, and for being here for me.”

“Don’t mention it,” he ruffled her hair. “I’ll do anything for you, remember?”

A small laugh escaped her lips.

“I owe you--”

Her phone rang, she paused her conversation and quickly whipped that device out. It was Mingyu.

“Hello?”

“Young Miss, the Clan Elders have ordered a meeting. News of a big drug bust had been circulating among the gangs and…”

“And?”

“Your name has been tied to the drug bust, Young Miss. I’m afraid the Elders want you to explain things. I’m coming to pick you up, I’m just around the corner.”

Sojung quickly grabbed her stuff, Jongin was puzzled to see her frantic. He just followed her out, she was speaking to Mingyu like there was something wrong. The moment the call ended, Jongin grabbed her arm gently.

“What’s happening?”

“It’s nothing,” she patted his arm. “The Elders just want to talk to me. It’s really nothing.”

A honk sounded, Mingyu nodded politely at Jongin as Sojung pulled the car door open. Jongin closed the door after her, concern written all over his face.

“Thanks again, Kai-ah. I really appreciate you.”

He smiled and tapped the roof of the car twice, signalling Mingyu to start driving. Reaching into his pocket, he dialled Sehun’s number on his mobile.

“Yo.”

“Se, I think your sister’s in trouble.”

“I know. I’m heading down now. I’ll update you when the issue’s done.”

“Yeah, okay,” he then paused. “Se?”

“Hmm?”

“Watch her, I think she’s cracking. I… Just take care of her.”

Sehun chuckled but Jongin could hear the slight confusion and concern in his voice.

“I’m her brother, Kai. I know what to do.”

 

***

 

Sojung walked into the Clan Home, her team following behind her. Hyungjun was standing guard, he tapped the wooden doors twice.

“Welcome, Young Miss. The Elders have been waiting.”

She brushed him aside and entered the main hall. Everyone turned to look at her, their expressions unreadable while Elder Kim was on his feet, smug.

“She finally rolls in,” he sang sarcastically.

“My apologies. I was not aware of this meeting until literally 10 minutes ago. Pardon my tardiness.” She rolled her eyes and took her seat at the head of the table. “Now, may I know what the agenda is about?”

“We have come to know of a drug bust just this morning,” Elder Min started. “We caught wind of your name being tied to the drugs.”

Another elder scoffed.

“And here you are, preaching about wanting to find the drug lord when you’re the one behind it?”

Sojung shook her head in amusement.

“Just solely based on some wind you caught from the ground and you link that with what I’ve said and what’s happening within the Clan, that you guys find it comfortable enough to pin the blame on me?” She looked up, staring at the room with menace in her eyes. “Before you guys come at me, I would like to say that I have leads on who the drug lord is.”

Mingyu, Wonwoo and Wonho scanned the room for any reactions that could possibly point them towards the mastermind. She glanced at them, who shook their heads at her subtly. She turned her attention back to the table.

The doors threw open once more, and Sehun walked in. Elder Kim slid back into his seat while Sehun walked over to his sister, Mingyu pulled him a seat. Sojung noticed the shift in the atmosphere after her brother entered, the entire absurdity of it all just made her laugh.

“Do you guys seriously still think that a man should lead this Clan?” She spat. “Well, it figures, since you guys only quietened down when Sehun came.”

“It’s not about gender, Young Miss,” Elder Kim spoke up, smug. “Although if your brother was the one who led us, we wouldn’t be in this predicament now. The police are starting to investigate the drug bust and with you pinned to this problem, it could potentially cause issues for the clan.”

“Why? Are you afraid the police are going to start investigating you as part of the Clan family?” She folded her arms. “It di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter