PwF 10

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung rubbed her temples, taking a short break from her work. A headache was hammering her brain, the lack of sleep and stress from work was getting to her. She closed for her eyes, wanting to rest for a quick minute but there was a knock on her door. She sat up and cleared .

“Come in.”

Mingyu, Wonho and Wonwoo piled into the room, each with a different matter to report.

“Samsung’s doing well. S20’s production is well on the way, Big Hit has agreed to our terms and the filming will begin somewhere next month. Your presence is required.” Mingyu started. “Big Hit has also requested to have a meeting with you and the BTS members.”

She nodded, leaning forward and resting her chin on her palm.

“Wonwoo?”

“Kia’s employees are all rather punctual to work and submissions. I’ve looked through each report and document submitted this past week, they’re mostly satisfactory. Looks like your rules are working. Oh, and there’s this Yook Sungjae who keeps calling to meet you. Remember YJ Modeling? He’s the owner. I dived into his company and his finances are fishy.”

“Fishy? How?”

“The way he gets his models is suspicious. They don’t look local.”

She closed her eyes, “Reject the partnership, blacklist him.”

Wonwoo nodded.

Sojung pressed her temple subtly, not wanting to alarm her guards. Wonwoo nudged Mingyu, Wonho caught on and cleared his throat.

“I’ve set the meeting with the Elders later in the late afternoon,” Wonho said. “Master Im sent me a message earlier, that he checked his team and no one under him seemed to be guilty of drug possession.”

She sat up, “So it’s either someone new to the Clan or it’s Jinu.”

“We can’t just accuse Master Kim of being the drug dealer, just because he hasn’t got back to us about his team.” Wonho pointed out. “How about you test him out at the meeting?”

Sojung nodded wordlessly, massaging her head.

“You alright, Young Miss?” Wonwoo asked. “You don’t look so good.”

“Yeah, it’s just a headache.”

Mingyu went to pour her a glass of warm water. Wonho reached for her purse near the door, “Where’s your medication?”

She sighed, “Didn’t bring it today.”

He nodded and walked out of the office, rushing to the convenience store downstairs to grab a pack of Panadols for her.

 

Mingyu gave Sojung the water, It’s been awhile since you last fell sick. Do you want to go see a doctor?”

“I’m good.” She straightened her back. “Just some rest and I’ll be fine. I have a meeting with Jongup later at Hotel M, prepare the necessary paperwork before--”

“Get your husband to go for you.” He suggested. “He’s part of the company - heck, he’s the one in-charge. Didn’t you say his father didn’t think well of him? Maybe this meet would be good.”

She thought about it and reached for her landline. She dialled for Johnny’s phone.

“Hotel M, Moon Jongup, 12 PM. Mingyu will hand you a file on the project before you meet the man.” She hung up after giving the order.

 

*

 

Johnny stared at his phone in disbelief. He couldn’t believe Sojung just hung up on him. He was sitting at the restaurant of Hotel M when she called.

“Did she find out I’m here?” He mumbled under his breath.

He was waiting for Yuta to arrive for lunch, but his friend had just texted him before Sojung’s call, that he wasn’t able to make it.

“Since Yuta’s not coming, it looks like I gotta do some work.”

He switched on his laptop, ready to look through some information on Moon Jongup. He scrolled each profile and media news article he could find on the male and tried to make a timeline of what he learnt and what he knew.

He glanced at his watch, it was near 12 PM when his phone pinged. He received an email notification from Mingyu. He was going to open the attachment when he heard a couple squabbling.

He searched the restaurant, his eyes landing on a single lady crying. The man in front of her was holding another.

"I'm breaking up with you."

The man and the woman stormed off, leaving the crying girl at her wits' end. Johnny closed his laptop and grabbed his stuff, walking over to her.

"Are you alright, Miss?"

She looked up at him, "No. I'm not. My boyfriend just dumped me over a woman he met 2 months ago and today's my birthday!"

She sobbed harder. He scooted closer to her and patted her shoulder.

"Everything will be fine," he comforted her. "How about I buy you some ice cream? That'll make you feel better."

The girl was sceptical.

"Don't worry. I was here to meet a friend but he had something at the last minute." He stood up and offered her his arm. "Let's get you cheered up on your birthday."

She managed a small smile and held his arm. Johnny grinned when he saw the girl's hint of a smile and forgot about meeting Jongup.

 

***

 

Mingyu tapped his chin, Johnny had yet to reply him on the question he had posed to him in the email. He reached for his phone to call Johnny but the male didn't pick up.

He glanced over at Sojung, who was resting at her desk. He contemplated if he should report this to her when her mobile started ringing.

She jolted awake and quickly answered the call. All her sleepiness dissipated into the air when she heard the other party. 

"What? My apologies, Mr Moon. I'll be right there."

She grabbed her bag and her iPad, rushing to leave. Mingyu ran up to her.

"What's wrong?"

"Youngho didn't turn up. He's not at the restaurant."

 

When Sojung reached the restaurant, Jongup was already seated inside, having his meal. She apologised and remained standing until the man motioned for her to sit.

"Miss Oh, I've heard a lot about you and I don't see you as one who would be late to appointments. What happened today?"

"The person in charge of the meeting today bailed and we couldn't contact him. My apologies for making you wait."

"It's okay," Jongup smirked. "As long as the pretty Director comes, I won't be mad."

She flipped her papers open, brushing the compliment aside.

"I believe Mr Moon is opening a private-hire company and will be supplying Kia's vehicles to your drivers?"

"That's right," he munched, waving the waiter over. "Would you like to order something?"

She shook her hand, "No, no need. I just need a glass of lemon water."

The waiter came and Jongup helped her with that order as she fished for her pen.

"If you could go through the contract once you're done with your meal--"

Jongup ignored her and quickly flipped through the document before signing on the lines. Sojung straightened her back.

"Are you already done with reading the terms?”

"I trust you, Miss Oh." Jongup sipped his water, his hand intentionally touching hers. "Join me for lunch, don't just drink lemon water."

She pulled her hand back and collected the papers.

"If you do not wish to read through the terms again, I will take my leave. Excuse me."

She then gave him a curt nod, spinning on her heels to leave. She met Mingyu outside, and the male peered into the restaurant when he noticed the look on his Young Miss' face.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing." She took a step forward, "Where's Youngho?"

Mingyu scrolled his phone and handed the device to her.

"At some ice cream parlour. I sent Wonwoo to look for him."

His phone pinged and a text notification appeared on the screen. Sojung ran her fingers through her hair in irritation.

"He's on a date."

She fished for her phone and sent Johnny a text.

"Let's go back to the office. What time is the Clan meeting?"

 

***

 

"Are you feeling better?"

Johnny asked as the girl finished her dessert.

"Yeah, tons better. Thanks, Johnny."

He grinned, "No worries, a pretty girl always deserve some ice cream."

The pair sat in silence before a thought struck him. He gasped and his phone vibrated.

 

Sojung-nim

The case's settled. Enjoy your date. 

 

He cursed himself and looked around. From the corner of his eyes, he sp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter