PwF 24

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung was in her office, signing off approvals for Kia’s events while checking out the photos the photographer had sent her. Mingyu was on the other table, marking out the ones she had chosen to be part of the promotional pictures.

“521 and 732. I want them for Taehyung,” she tapped on her iPad. “As for Namjoon… 234 and 421.”

Mingyu nodded.

Knocks sounded at the doors, Wonho walked in.

“What time are you leaving the office, Young Miss?”

“Leave the office? What for?”

Wonwoo entered behind Wonho, “Mr Seo’s uni reunion party? It’s happening in 2 hours.”

She facepalmed and shook her head.

“Tell Youngho I’ll meet him there.”

“What about your outfit?” Mingyu looked up. “I’ll go pick something for you.”

She nodded, he handed her the iPad. Wonho and Wonwoo tilted their heads as he left before heading out the door to stand guard outside. The latter strode over to Johnny’s office, knocking on the door.

“Oh,” Johnny was surprised to see Wonwoo standing outside. “Is Sojung ready to leave?”

He bowed, “Young Miss is busy with her work. She says she’ll meet you at the venue instead.”

Johnny’s phone rang at that moment, making the guard bow again and walk back to Sojung’s office.

“Hello?”

“We’re downstairs. It’s close to 6, you can leave, yes?”

“Yeah, I’m packing up,” he reached to grab his wallet and phone. “Sojung’s gonna meet us at the venue. For now, let’s go grab a new outfit.”

 

***

 

“Young Miss, it’s time to leave,” Wonho knocked on her office door. “Mingyu’s gotten an outfit for you, it’s sitting behind your changing curtain.”

Sojung got up with a small stretch and entered the curtains.

One look on the dress got her rolling her eyes.

“Really? This red piece? It’s so low cut!”

“You’ll look great in it!”

Sojung huffed, changing into the red dress, “What if there’s any danger, I wouldn’t be able to fight in this flimsy dress!”

“You have us for a reason, Young Miss.”

“Pfft,” she blew a raspberry and stepped out of the curtains. “I can protect myself just as well, Hoseok.”

She turned her back on him, “Zip me up.”

He approached her, eyes politely averted away while his hands worked on her dress. When she was done, he shook off the coat he had on and handed it to her.

“Now you want me to cover up?” She teased. “Why didn’t you get me something with sleeves? I have a tattoo, remember?”

“Keep the coat then,” he shrugged.

He reached for the holster hanging around his body and handed Sojung his pocket pistol. She took it with a roll of her eyes, tucking it in her thigh holster.

“Let’s just go.”

 

*

 

Johnny, Yuta, Jaehyun and Taeyong were chatting at their table, waiting for Mark to turn up.

“That brat’s always late,” Taeyong shook his head.

The other three just chuckled, sipping on their drinks.

“Oh my god, Johnny? Is that you?”

The quartet groaned, Johnny plastered a friendly smile on his face immediately and got to his feet, greeting the women coming up behind him.

“Hey ladies,” he chuckled. “Nice to see you all again.”

“He better not let Jungie see this,” Yuta nudged Jaehyun. “He’ll probably sleep in the bathroom tonight.”

 

*

 

Mark was rushing towards the main entrance when a black Hyundai 2010 Equus drove up to the front of the hotel. He stopped in his tracks, watching the car roll to a stop. 

The vehicle looked familiar but he couldn’t put his finger on where.

Until Wonho stepped out of the passenger’s seat to open the door for Sojung. Mark hopped over to the car, waiting for the lady to alight.

“Hey,” Mark greeted.

Sojung nodded at Wonho and he got back into the car, Mingyu drove off. Mark offered his arm to her.

"Milady."

She had an amused smile on and took his arm.

"You look amazing," he complimented as the pair entered the hotel. "But the coat?"

"Thanks, Mark. The coat's to cover my arms," she then leaned closer to whisper to him. "I have a sleeve tattoo."

The pair entered the huge ballroom and a waiter offered them champagne. Mark took one for each of them, his eyes darting to her arms.

"Do you really?"

She dropped one side of the coat, revealing the top of the art and Mark started grinning.

"You are seriously the coolest CEO I have ever met."

Sojung chuckled, "You flatter me."

"I--"

"Mark! Hey!"

The duo turned and saw a tall male waving at Mark. He turned to Sojung apologetically.

"Sorry Jungie, I'll head over to say a quick Hi okay?"

"Sure," she downed her champagne. "Besides, I need a refill. I'll go look for Youngho when I'm done."

"Shout if you get in danger, I'll come and save you."

She huffed in amusement, waving as he bounced off. She her heels, towards the bar counter. She has just handed her glass over in exchange for some whiskey when she felt a presence next to her.

"So, who are you?"

Sojung turned her head a little, enough to see a couple of women standing beside her, their eyes full of disdain. She ignored them and watched the bartender prepare her drink.

"Aren't you a cocky little ?" One of them scorned. "I don't remember seeing you in our classes, trust me when I say I notice someone of a lower class."

Sojung smirked.

Lower class?

"Huh," she let out a breath. "You wish you're at my level."

"What?"

She shoved Sojung, taking in her dress. She scoffed when she realised they were wearing the same outfit. Sojung noticed the way she was scanning her.

"Low class huh? Looks like you have the same taste as I do."

"Who did you come with?" Another lady piped up, pulling her friend away. "You can't enter without an invitation card."

She glanced around the room, noticing how there were some guys eyeing her and whispering amongst each other. She ignored them and continued searching for Mark when her eyes landed on Johnny, who had just entered the room.

She wanted to call out for him but she saw this pretty lady walking towards her husband.

 

"Minah!"

Johnny waved at his friend and she leaned in to kiss his cheeks. He chuckled and pulled back, scanning her outfit.

"You look pretty."

She twirled a little to show off her dress, "Yeah?"

He nodded.

"Where's your plus one? I heard you're bringing someone today."

"Yo, Johnny!"

Mark came running over, draping his arm over the taller male's shoulder. He noticed Minah and eyed Johnny.

You're talking to your ex?

Johnny shook his head, "You're late, aren't you?"

"Well, I'm not late exactly, but I met your wife outside."

"Wife?" Minah tilted her head in curiosity. "Was this what you meant by complicated?"

"Where is she?" Johnny asked after nodding at her.

"She's by the bartender."

Both men turned to find the lady when they noticed her being confronted by 3 ladies. Johnny pulled himself away from Minah and headed towards his wife, with Mark in tow.

 

Sojung's brows knitted when she saw the lady kiss Johnny on his cheek. She decided against calling him and smiled at the ladies.

"Someone brought me in, it's none of your business who did."

The women scoffed.

"It's your first time to events like this, yes?"

Sojung thanked the bartender and took the drink from him. She swirled it for a bit, watching the liquid sloshing against the glass.

"Why would you say that?"

The leader came back to the front and folded her arms, "Judging by your behaviour, it was obvious."

Sojung sighed, amused and irritated at how entitled the women were acting. She decided to block them out when an arm hung over her shoulders lazily.

She glanced up and saw Johnny grinning boyishly at her, with Mark by his side.

"She came in with me," Johnny told the women. "Hey, Lia, Yeji. Ryujin, you too."

The three of them batted their eyelashes at him, much to Sojung's disgust. She downed her alcohol, her moving arm accidentally revealed her tattoo.

The women gasped, Johnny quickly pulling the coat up her arm.

"Could you leave us?" Sojung deadpanned. 

"Is she your girlfriend?" Lia touched Johnny's arm. "What happened to your taste?"

"My taste is just fine, thanks for being concerned."

He kissed Sojung's temple lightly.

"Besides, my wife is amazing. What's not to like about her?"

"W-Wife?"

The trio glanced at each other in shock.

"But, you…" Ryujin started. "You don't look like someone who would marry--"

Sojung eyed her, making her second guess her original sentence. She cleared and changed her words.

"Marry young."

"When you meet the one, you tend to get reckless."

He held his arm out, "Babe, would you join me on the dancefloor?"

She took his arm haughtily, "Sure."

She stood in front of the three still-shell-shocked women.

Her eyes motioned for them to step aside, "Do you mind?" 

They made way, letting her brush against them to follow Johnny. Mark's eyes sparkled at the way she acted, his respect for her just went up another notch.

 

Johnny tapped the coat on Sojung's shoulders once they were out of earshot. He guided her to an empty table and sat down, his fingers still touching the fabric.

"Whose coat is this?"

"Hoseok’s," she shrugged. "He picked out the dress but forgot about my tattoo."

Johnny used his finger to gently lift her sleeve, his eyes trailed the artwork. She chortled at his amazed expression. 

"What are you thinking about?"

"Well, I've been meaning to ask…" He gently removed the coat to reveal the whole half sleeve. "What does your tattoo represent?"

She drummed he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter