PwF 28

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

slightly ty scene at the end

Sojung rushed around the house, gathering her stuff. Johnny heard the commotion and came out of the bathroom, only to see his wife heading towards the door.

“Where are you going?” He asked, chasing after her. “It’s Saturday.”

Her hand stopped at the door’s handle.

“The hospital called, my father’s well enough to communicate. I want to ask who shot him. I’ll call you when I’m done.”

 

***

 

Sehun leaned against the wall with a silly grin on his face. Yumi had just sent him a sweet text and it was making him feel things.

A feeling he never thought he would be able to ever have.

“Se!”

He glanced up from his phone and saw Sojung walking towards him with WMW behind her. He tucked his phone away and sauntered over to his sister.

“The nurse called you too?”

Sojung nodded as the trio behind her bowed in greeting before going off to join Lucas and Kun near the lift lobby.

“She told me Father wanted to speak to us - specifically.”

“Come on,” he strolled forward. “We’ll only know what Father has to say when we meet him.”

 

The twins arrived and knocked on the ward door before entering. Their father was laying in bed, with the wires stuck in his arm. He turned his head when the doors opened, smiling weakly when he saw his children.

“You’re here,” he rasped.

“Father,” Sojung walked to Mr Oh first. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I’ve just escaped death.”

He chuckled but winced almost immediately when he felt a sharp pain in his chest.

The twins flew to his side, worry evident in their eyes.

“Father, you’re still recovering, lay still.” Sehun chided. “You literally did just escape death.”

Mr Oh took a couple of small breaths, it hurt to take deep ones. After steadying his breathing, he waved his arm at his children.

“Sit, sit.”

Sehun let Sojung take the chair and he stood beside her.

“What happened that day?” She whispered. “Why would anyone shoot you out of the blue?”

“I… I was travelling back from Busan,” Mr Oh took another breath. “I saw a standard-issue Oh Clan vehicle… I--”

“You suspected that one of us was the mastermind behind the drugs?”

Mr Oh nodded weakly.

“I overheard the deals and… w-waited till the end to confront the guy.”

Sehun and Sojung glanced at each other, alarmed at the new information. Sehun leaned forward, reaching for their father’s hand. He seemed to be struggling to speak.

“Did you see the mastermind? Was he the one who shot you?”

Sojung watched her father, waiting impatiently for his response.

“I-- I saw the dealer,” he coughed. “I--”

Sojung got to her feet, giving her father more space for air.

“Father, it’s okay.” She patted his hand. “We can talk about this when you’re feeling better. Se and I will--”

Their heads whipped around when they heard the ward door opening. Sojung’s face flattened into a blank expression.

"Jaebum, J," she turned to face the visitors. "I thought I mentioned no visitors unless approved by either of us?"

Jinu smiled, "You also mentioned as long as you or Sehun are around, visitors are allowed too. Did you forget about that?"

He peered over Sojung's head.

"How's uncle?"

Mr Oh's eyes widened just a fraction at the sight of Jinu. Jaebum stepped up to the bed, reaching for his hand.

"Are you feeling better, Mr Oh?"

The elder started squeezing on JB's hand and looked like he was starting to hyperventilate. JB leaned closer, concern written all over his face.

"Uncle?"

Sojung and Sehun rushed to Jaebum, the younger twin gently pried her father's hand off her friend's while Sehun ran to get the doctor. Wonho came in and ushered everyone out of the room, leaving Sojung inside with her father.

“Father?” She patted his arm, he was slipping out of consciousness. “Father. Dad?”

The male fell limp as the doctor and nurses rushed into the room.

“Miss Oh, I need you to wait outside. We’ll handle this.”

Wonho had to hold onto Sojung, removing her from the bedside physically. She didn’t fight against him, but she was reluctant to leave. The moment she saw Sehun outside, his fingers raking his hair, she let out a shaky breath.

Jaebum, Jinu and Sehun all turned to look at her. JB rushed to her side before her knees weakened and managed to catch her.

“Woah, So. Let’s go sit down.”

He helped her onto the bench and knelt before her.

“You okay?”

She held her head in her hands, “Yeah, I’m alright.”

Jinu leaned against the wall, eyes staring straight while in a daze. JB noticed his behaviour and went to him.

"Uncle's gonna be fine," he stood next to his friend. "Don't worry."

"Yeah."

Jinu nodded absentmindedly, but his chest was stirring - many complex feelings were fighting to take over.

Don't worry?

Easy for you to say.

 

The doctor came back out and his nurse handed him a clipboard. Sojung leapt to her feet, the guys following behind her.

“How’s my father?”

“Mr Oh’s fine,” he started. “He was just overwhelmed at the sudden crowd. He couldn’t breathe which resulted in his hyperventilation. No more visitors for the rest of the day until Mr Oh calms down.”

Sehun thanked the doctor and turned to his friends, with his arms folded.

“Looks like visitation hours are over,” he swung his arms around Jaebum and Jinu. “Let’s head to lunch.”

The trio walked forward, leaving Johnny and Sojung lagging behind.

 

“You alright?”

Johnny nudged Sojung, sliding his hand into hers. She glanced at their hands and tightened her grip while nodding her head. They followed behind the other guys until Sojung piped up.

“I have a feeling my dad was about to tell me who shot him.”

“What?” Johnny stopped. “What made you think that?”

“He said he saw the dealer, but I blew him off. I stopped him from talking because I thought he was starting to feel unwell. I--”

Johnny held her shoulders, “Stop. You just want Father to be well. Making sure he rested well is your job as a daughter.”

“But I almost knew who the bastard was, I…”

Johnny leaned in and kissed her forehead.

“Wife, I’m pretty sure with your brains and connections, you would have been able to find the person by now.” He gazed into her eyes. “Maybe you’re just too focused on work and your concern for your father just buried everything.”

He then her face with his thumb with a warm smile.

“Now, stop thinking so hard

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter