PwF 13

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Johnny groaned; the sunlight was in his eyes again. He rolled to face the other side to avoid the rays.

“I thought I shut the curtains last night?” He complained. “Goddamn it.”

His side of the bed dipped, “It’s time for you to get up.”

Johnny sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He stared at the woman in front of him.

“Sojung-ah!”

“It’s morning. Get up. There are a ton of meetings that require your attendance today.”

“No~!”

Johnny buried himself under the blanket, Sojung flipped it open. She stood up, arms akimbo as she stared down at him.

The silence was making him uneasy, he peeped out of the blanket again, only to see his wife staring at him.

“Do I really have to?” He sighed.

“Yes. Get up.”

He groaned, dragging himself out of bed and into the washroom.

“Don’t even think about sitting inside and falling asleep. I will knock the door down if I don’t see you come out in 5 minutes,” she warned. “Better hurry up.”

A smile tugged on her lips when she heard a long and loud groan from inside, she knew she got to him. She went to his closet and picked a 3-piece suit, hanging it on the doorknob of the toilet. She sat on the bed, she watched as the door cracked open and Johnny’s hand came out to take the clothes.

“I’ll wait for you downstairs.”

 

Johnny came down the stairs, light on his feet. He saw himself in a mirror and pointed finger guns at his reflection.

“So good looking, as usual.”

He skipped to the kitchen, where Sojung was already washing up. On the counter was a plate of American breakfast. She threw him a look over her shoulder.

“Eat up. It’s going to be a long day today.”

Johnny wordlessly picked up the cutlery and began eating.

“What about yours?” He asked, munching on some eggs.

“I don’t eat breakfast,” she sat in front of him with a cup of coffee. “I have coffee.”

“Won’t that hurt your stomach?”

She shrugged, “I’m used to it.”

“Do you want--”

The doorbell rang, she went to answer the door. Johnny continued with his meal.

“Young Miss, are you ready to leave?”

Mingyu’s voice rang out, he entered the kitchen behind Sojung.

“Not yet,” she sat back down to finish her coffee. “How’s my schedule for the day?”

Mingyu cast a wary look at Johnny, she tapped the table to get his attention. He cleared his throat, scrolling his iPad.

“10 AM, progress update meeting. 11 AM, meeting with Big Hit and BTS at their company. Short meeting with us during lunch. 2 PM, Kia BOD updates.” Mingyu trailed on. “3 PM, Samsung updates and Young Master arranged a call with you at 4 PM.”

Johnny stole glances at her in awe.

“Wow, your schedule’s so packed today.”

“It’s not just today. She’s busy like that every day.” Mingyu scoffed. “Maybe if you try, you might even be of some help.”

“Gyu,” Sojung chided. “I’ll go grab my bag and I’ll be good to go.”

He nodded, proceeding to move towards the main door when his phone chimed. Johnny saw how he paused in his steps to answer the call. He brushed his curiosity aside and went to wash his own dish.

“What’s wrong?” Sojung went up to Mingyu.

“Mr Oh just called. He wants to meet you.”

“I’m busy.”

“He’s adamant. He wants to meet you today.”

Sojung sighed.

“Fine, arrange him after Sehun.”

“But there’s a client signing you have to attend later,” he pointed out. “It’s a final meet.”

Johnny popped out from the kitchen, “I can go!”

She had doubt in her eyes when looking at him.

“You? Are you sure?”

“Yeah!” Johnny puffed his chest. “It’s just signing, what could go wrong?”

“Oh ho, don’t jinx things,” Mingyu rolled his eyes.

“Gyu.”

“Okay, fine. I’ll wait for you in the car.”

Sojung turned to Johnny.

“You can go since it’s Kia’s contract.” She then threw him his bag. “Let’s go.”

 

*

 

Sojung nodded along with the second department head giving his presentation. The employees were getting more efficient and work was more concise. She was approving all of the projects and ideas they provided because they were good and would be beneficial for Kia’s subsidiary.

As the third presenter started on her presentation, Sojung’s eyes flitted over to Johnny, who was writing notes. He had been paying attention to the whole meeting, something he rarely did.

Mingyu slid his chair closer to Sojung, who was scanning through the presentation slides.

“What’s up with him?” 

She shrugged, “I don’t know.”

“He’s being so serious,” he whispered. “Did he do something wrong?”

“Maybe he took your words for real, this morning,” she side-eyed him in amusement. “It’s a good thing, he’s trying to work hard.”

Mingyu huffed, giving her a cheeky smirk.

“We’ll see how long this lasts.”

Sojung elbowed her friend and smiled, giving her attention to Kimmy.

 

Johnny looked up from his iPad and saw Mingyu moving from the corner of his eye. He snuck a glance at him, his brows furrowed a little when he noticed how close Mingyu and Sojung were sitting. Their whispering and cheeky facial expressions made him curious.

He never thought about it before.

With Mingyu, Wonwoo and Wonho hanging around Sojung all the time, they even worked together for so long, why wasn’t she attached to one of them?

He shook his head, turning his attention back to the presenter who was about to start.

 

***

 

When the meeting ended, Mingyu collected all the physical files for review. Johnny stayed seated while the others left. 

“Mr Seo?” Mia cast Sojung a careful look, knowing how she didn’t like first-name-basis addresses in the office. “Are you not leaving?”

He shook his head, “I have something to check with Miss Oh, you guys can go back to work first.”

Mia headed to the door and saw Wonho standing outside, “Miss Oh.”

Sojung looked up, noticing Wonho and his grave expression.

“Mr Lee is here.”

She thanked her and waved for him to enter, “What’s wrong?”

Johnny paused.

Wonho kept his lips sealed, eyes darting to Johnny. Sojung snapped her fingers, "What is it?"

He figured it wasn't clan matters so it was safe to just say it in front of Johnny.

"Your father is in your office."

"What? Why? Isn't his appointment in the afternoon?"

"He says it's urgent."

Sojung let out a grunt and got to her feet. Mingyu stepped behind to give way.

"Youngho, you can--"

"If your father's here," he stood up. "Then I should go greet him."

He went up to the door.

"Shall we?"

Sojung watched his actions.

What's up with him?

Wonho and Mingyu followed her as she strolled out the door. They sat in the elevator together, Johnny not daring to give the two guards even a glance although they were boring holes into the back of his head.

 

"Gyu, Hoseok. Stay here."

The two men nodded, taking their places next to the main doors after closing them. Johnny held her waist, pulling her closer to him. Sojung shot him a glare.

"What are you doing?"

"It's your father. Wouldn't he be concerned if we were getting along well?"

"Why would he?"

Johnny tightened his hold and guided her to her office doors. He took a deep breath, pushing the doors open.

The elder was standing at her desk. He turned around when he heard the doors, smiling lightly when he saw Johnny's arm around his daughter's waist.

"Hey baby," he greeted, spreading his arms.

Sojung walked towards him, "Father."

Johnny tilted his head a little when he heard how she addressed him. It sounded so…

Awkward.

The older man let go of the hug and turned to Johnny.

"Son-in-law."

Johnny shook his hand, "Dad."

"What are you doing here? Your appointment's at 4."

Mr Oh chuckled and sat down on the chair, turning so that he could face the two standing youngsters.

"Do I need an appointment just to speak or see my daughter?"

"Yeah, or it would mess up my schedules for the day."

Johnny reached down to tug on the hem of her jacket. Mr Oh brushed her bluntness aside and clapped his hands.

"Well, I only have a message to pass to you, I don't need to have a slot in your schedule." He started. "Sehun's coming back from Singapore tomorrow. I want you to go pick him up."

"Sure."

"Okay, that's all. I have to go meet Kim."

Sojung bowed and opened the door for her father, Johnny watching their interaction with many questions in his head. It was after he heard Wonho and Mingyu sending Mr Oh to the lifts when he gathered the courage to ask her a question.

"Sojung-ah," he called, making her turn to face him.

"Hmm?"

"Are you and Dad okay?"

"Yeah, why'd you ask?"

He rubbed the back of his neck.

"I don't know,  it just feels off, the way you both interacted."

She sat down at her desk. She knew what he was referring to.

Since they were husband and wife now, she decided it was okay to let him know.

"My mom passed when I was younger," she started. "She died when trying to get me back."

Johnny sat opposite her.

"Back from?"

She let out a breath, "I was kidnapped when I was 11."

"What?!"

"Someone found out who I was through a photo some tabloid reporter took of my father." She reached for her bottle of water. "They realised I was related to both Samsung and Hyundai, an opportunity like that was hard to pass."

She left out the part where it was actually some Mafia-related revenge plot.

Johnny listened intently to her story, slowly realizing why she hated being in the media. 

"My family found where I was and came to look for me. My mother was bringing me away when she was knocked down by a car. She used her body to shield me from the impact."

Johnny found himself getting up and walking around the table. He reached her and stood before her, turning her chair so that he could see her better. He then knelt before her while she blinked her tears away.

Talking about her mother always made her emotional.

He softened when he saw her trying to stop her tears. He gave her a hug, although his stance was awkward for his body.

She froze.

"Your mother probably didn't blame anyone for her accident. It was her choice to protect you." He pointed out. "But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter