PwF 25

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a slight change in Johnny’s attitude towards Sojung after that night of the class reunion.

He became more... affectionate.

Sojung woke up the next morning, her head pounding as after-effects of the trauma she got from the gun. She sat up, gently rubbing her temples when she realised she was alone in bed.

There wasn’t water running in the toilet, Johnny wasn’t anywhere in the room.

Just as she was slipping out of bed, their room door opened and Johnny walked in with a tray of breakfast and an ice pack.

“Morning,” he greeted. “How’s your head?”

“I’ll live,” she eyed him. “What are you doing?”

“Tending to my wife, I hope you like scrambled eggs in bed?”

Sojung tied her hair up and took the ice pack from the tray, holding it lightly against the bump on her head. She scanned the plate, not understanding how scrambled eggs can get burnt in some places. 

Johnny noticed her weird gaze and rubbed the back of his neck.

“You can skip out on the burnt bits.”

Sojung couldn’t help herself and let out a small breath of amusement. She held his chin with her free hand and pecked his cheek.

"Thanks, husband."

She didn't let go after the kiss, confusing Johnny.

"Sojung..?"

"What's with the change in attitude though?" She wondered aloud as her fingers pinched harder on his chin. "You weren't that affectionate with me before? Why now?"

Johnny let out a breath, reaching up to hold her hand.

"Well," his thumb the back of her hand. "You were willing to expose yourself to those robbers yesterday, rather than let the robbers have me and get things over and done with. You rather put yourself in danger, than let those people in the room be hurt."

He huffed, smiling.

"You put the safety of others over your own. A thin line between reckless and brave, but I'm seeing it as the latter."

He held her hands tightly.

"Seeing how you are so ready to care for me, I figured I should start doing my job and care for you too."

He stopped for a moment, contemplating his next sentence.

Ah, it.

"I want us to become a real normal married couple."

"We are really married, and definitely not a normal couple," she chuckled. "But I get what you mean."

She slid away from her and got out of bed, heading to the wardrobe to pick her outfit for the day.

"Sure, why not?" She glanced over her shoulder. "Since I'm stuck with you for life."

He cleared his throat.

"You do know there's something called a divorce if you… you know, don't want to stay."

She gave him a dead stare, "You just said you want us to be a real married couple but now, you're reminding me divorce is an option?"

His eyes rounded, he quickly waved his hands. 

"No! No, I don't mean it like that. I just don't want you to be unhappy."

She broke into a small chuckle.

"I'm kidding. There is no backing out in my dictionary. Once I have decided on something, I go through with it. Just like being a Clan leader, it's a commitment. It's only interesting when I enjoy it."

"So," he set the tray on the bedside table, crawling on the bed towards her. "Do you find me interesting?"

She plastered a sweet smile on her face.

"Don't push it, Seo Youngho."

He chuckled and ducked away, "Finish the eggs - or try to. I'll send you to work today."

"I'm riding with Gyu today. I need to get something done at Samsung."

“Okay,” he nodded, walking towards the bathroom. “I’ll see you at the office?”

“Hmm.”

 

***

 

“Young Miss.”

Mingyu, Wonho and Wonwoo greeted Sojung at the door. She turned and went towards the living room to grab her stuff.

“What’s going on today?”

Wonho stepped up first, “There are no updates, unfortunately, about the trafficker as of today. The small deal a while back was just a ruse to see you in action, to see what you would do.”

“This has been the third deal these 2 months,” Sojung ran her fingers through her hair. “The Elders have been asking for an update.”

“We’ll make more rounds, have more eyes on the ground,” Wonwoo typed on his phone.

Sojung nodded, “Next?”

“Samsung is ready to release S20. The first advertisement will start tomorrow.” Mingyu beamed. “Advertising was able to complete the media pieces as per your request. Kia is doing well too, the department’s reputation and efficiency is picking up, no one is backtracking on their work and no more OTs.”

“Good, that’s good to hear.”

Wonwoo’s phone rang, he excused himself and walked away from the mini meeting.

“Jongin hyung?”

“Are you in the office?”

“Yeah, Young Miss needed to get something done at Samsung.”

“Okay, I’m nearby. I’ll drop by in 5 minutes. Tell her to hold on for me.”

Jongin hung up and Wonwoo returned to the table. Sojung watched him, nodding her head at him.

“Who called?”

“Jongin hyung said he’s just around the corner and wants you to wait for him.”

She hummed, “Mingyu, could you send Youngho a text that I’ll be late to Kia?”

“Yes, Young Miss.”

“What about Samsung? Anything else?”

“Nope,” she packed her table. “Things look good here, I fully trust your capabilities to run the office when I’m not around.”

Wonho and Wonwoo chuckled when they saw Mingyu getting flustered.

“Aigoo,” Wonho ruffled the youngster’s head. “Still getting shy over compliments?”

“Shut up before I call Shownu hyung on you.”

Sojung chortled at the blush that spread across Wonho’s face. Mingyu and Wonwoo high-fived each other at his reaction, knowing they had something against him now. 

A knock on the door stopped their little banter and a head peeked in. Sojung smiled.

“Hey, Kai.”

Jongin stepped and waved the toasts in his hand, “I brought breakfast.”

WMW bowed and proceeded to leave but Jongin stopped them.

“I bought enough for all of us, let’s eat together.”

The three dudes glanced at Sojung, who gave them a nod. They bowed again at the doctor and Wonho took the food from Jongin. He set them down on Sojung’s desk, taking out two sets and putting them in front of Sojung, then taking the rest to his team.

“Egg toasts?”

Jongin nodded, “Just the way the little lion likes them.”

She reached for one and bit into the sandwich.

“It’s good.”

“Glad to hear that,” he ruffled her hair. “I’ll send you to Kia after we’re done here.”

 

WMW watched the pair’s interactions. Mingyu and Wonwoo nudged each other.

“Do you think Master Kai has feelings for our Young Miss?” Mingyu whispered. “He sure takes care of her well.”

Wonwoo let out an amused breath, “Honestly, I think Young Miss might feel something for him too.”

Wonho listened to the pair and shook his head. They saw his reaction and tapped his thigh.

“Seok-ah, what do you think?"

Wonho gave his team a look.

"I'm pretty sure you both know who Im Changkyun is, right?"

They nodded.

"He's Young Miss' ex-boyfriend who passed away. I heard he's pretty favoured by all the Elders in the Clan, that he would have been the next Clan leader instead of Young Miss."

Wonho lowered his gaze with a sad smile.

"If you guys had seen how in love Master Im and Young Miss were," he looked at Sojung. "You wouldn't even have to ask me that."

 

***

 

Johnny walked into Kia’s building while scrolling his emails. He had a feeling he would have a busy day that day and decided to focus on getting work done. He heard someone call his name, he just held his hand up in acknowledgement without glancing at the person.

“Johnny!”

He paused.

“Oh? Minah-ya!”

The girl strolled over to Johnny before holding his arm.

“Are you back from a meeting outside?”

He shook his head, “Nah, I just arrived from home. What brings you here?”

“Oh,” she chuckled, glancing around. “I was here to meet someone but she’s not around today. I was just about to leave.”

“I’ll see you around then.”

Johnny started towards the lifts but Minah stopped him again.

“Would you like to grab a coffee with me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter