PwF 21

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Department meeting when Miss Oh returns to the office," Ryan waved his phone to his colleagues. "Orders from Mr Kim."

Everyone in the office nodded and started to prepare their documents, in case Sojung were to pop by anytime. The lift dinged, making everyone nervous until the doors opened to reveal Johnny.

"You scared us, Johnny."

He just chuckled, "Why? Were you hoping for Sojung to appear instead?"

The office was stunned.

"Did you just call her by her name?"

Johnny froze at the slip-up but played it off, "She's not here, is she?"

“That’s true, but she seemed to have eyes and ears everywhere, so we tend to be careful,” Ryan chuckled, eyes darting around. “It pays to be careful.”

His employees followed his uneasy chuckle before they nodded, silently agreeing to never tell Sojung what Johnny just did. Johnny straightened his back to renew his energy.

"What's everyone busy with?"

"Miss Oh wants to have a meeting when she returns, but we weren't sure when she was going to come back."

"She'll probably be here in an hour or so."

"How would you know?"

"Uh," Johnny cursed himself. "I asked one of her team members when I bumped into them in the morning."

He clapped twice.

"Okay, get back to work. She might return earlier, so be prepared."

 

***

 

"Are you sure we don't have to notify the Young Miss, Sir?"

Shownu glanced over his shoulder at his boss, who was staring out the window.

"She'll probably either reject my visitation or schedule me for another day." He chuckled. "I know my daughter."

"But popping up like that…"

"She'll not be happy but at least I get to see her."

Shownu nodded without another word and Mr Oh watched the trees go by. He was going to look away when he spotted a familiar car near the dilapidated buildings just off the main road.

"Wait," he sat up. "Isn't that a car from-- from the Clan?"

Shownu tapped the driver, he slowed down and the guard looked in the direction of the car.

"Seems like it."

"Drive in."

The car cruised down the off-road and into the small town. Mr Oh told them to stop just a bit away from the building. There was this indescribable bad feeling bubbling in his being, he wasn’t sure if he would be overreacting, but seeing that car in a rundown town, with the rumours of drug dealings within the Clan…

He couldn’t help but worry.

He recognised the car at first glance. It was a standard-issue Oh Clan vehicle but not many people knew of this vehicle.

You better not let me down, Jinu.

The car slowed to a stop, Shownu wanted to get out of the car, but Mr Oh stopped him.

“No. Stay here. I’ll be right back.”

His men lowered their heads as acknowledgement as the older man got out of the car. He gave them a careful glance over his shoulder before slowly threading towards the nearest building.

The whole way there, he was hoping his guess would be terribly wrong.

 

“I assume this 5kg of acid is only 20% of my total shipment?”

Mr Oh paused in his steps.

This voice… 

“Yes, sir. The other 80% will arrive in batches. You know it, we have to minimise risk and potential problems.”

“Good. Here’s the cash.”

Mr Oh heard a thud on the ground as what sounded like a heavy bag of money landed on the ground. Feet shuffled away minutes after, but he noticed only one set of footsteps disappeared.

Which meant someone was still standing in the house.

Mr Oh popped up from behind the wall and his heart just fell.

“Jinu? It’s really your doing?”

Jinu glanced up at the intruder, smirking when he saw Mr Oh standing in front of him, although it was evident on his face that he had not expected to see the man.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

The older man stormed forward, his eyes taking in the small case on the table. He rushed forward and tipped the case over. The case was filled with drugs. He fumed and grabbed Jinu by the collar. 

The latter just stood there, letting Mr Oh shake him forcefully in disappointment.

“I thought of you as one of the best leaders in the family, why did you have to resort to something like this?!”

Jinu scoffed, pushing Mr Oh’s hands away. He dusted himself, stepped aside to pack up.

“Best leaders? No. Sojung is the only one in everyone’s eyes. First, it was Changkyun hyung, then her. As much as the other elders disapprove of Sojung becoming the Clan leader, she was set to be one the moment she was born.” He shook his head. “If she can have power, I can too. I’m just using a different method.”

“The Clan’s founders have agreed to never dabble in stuff like this, why are you--”

“Old man, you talk too much!”

Jinu slammed the case shut.

“I, Kim Jinu, want power. I want authority. I want money and the network. What’s the best way to get them, if not drugs?” He sauntered closer to Mr Oh, as though he was challenging the man. “I can’t seem to count on the Clan to bring me all that.”

He took a step closer to Mr Oh, “Drugs bring me everything. With money and power, I can overthrow Sojung anytime I want. I don’t even need the Clan Elders’ approval. I can become God.”

He then turned and walked away.

“Keep your mouth shut, old man. Before I make sure you’ll regret it.”

He had barely taken a few steps away when he heard Mr Oh speaking on the phone.

“Shownu. Come here now. I found the--”

“God damn it,” Jinu whispered under his breath.

 

BANG!

BANG!

 

Two gunshots rang in the stale air. 

Mr Oh felt his chest burn in white-hot flame as warm blood started to trickle down his body. Shownu could be heard shouting for the Elder on the phone.

Mr Oh stared at his shooter.

Jinu was pointing a magnum, unwaveringly at his direction with smoke visible from the nozzle of his gun. He tucked the weapon back into his pocket and ran off, not sparing the injured man another glance.

You forced my hand. This isn’t my fault.

Mr Oh collapsed to the ground, a million thoughts running through his mind. His hand clutched his heart, it felt like his entire body was on fire. He tried to breathe but it felt like his lungs stopped working.

Every breath was a luxury.

He heard footsteps faintly rushing to his side, he barely made out the faces of Shownu and his driver before dark spots took over his vision and he fell limp.

As the duo attended to Mr Oh, they could hear the roar of the engine as the shooter sped out of the area. Shownu ran out, pulling his gun from his waist holster and aiming it at the vehicle. He tried to get a good shot but the car was too far.

“!”

He ran back into the house, the floor was getting stained with blood.

“Ya! Call Jongin. Now!” Shownu ordered. “I’ll get Sehun!”

 

***

 

“Next, Marketing. What updates do you have for me?”

The meeting had been going on for 30 minutes, and started immediately when Sojung returned to the office. She really appeared barely 10 minutes after Johnny did.

“We are planning a new type of campaign to promote the upcoming launch--”

The sound of a vibrating phone echoed through the room, making the presenter pause in her words. Everyone glanced around to check whose phone it was until Sojung released it was her phone. She peered at the screen.

Sehun?

A sinking feeling started to bubble in her gut.

Sehun never calls this phone.

She reached for her phone, holding her palm up to stop the presentation. She was about to swipe the call when Mingyu burst into the room without knocking. Everyone jumped at the sounds of the doors bouncing off the sides and at the intrusion.

“What--”

Mingyu whispered hurriedly into Sojung’s ears.

Wonho and Wonwoo slowly raised from their seats, worry evident on their faces while stepping towards the duo.

 

From what Johnny saw, Sojung’s facial expressions went through a complex change.

He watched her eyes widen a notch, a breath escaped her lips before the colours in her eyes dulled. Her shoulders sagged, Mingyu had to hold her arm to stop her from collapsing in front of the employees. He pulled her to her feet and she took a huge breath before addressing the room.

“T-The meeting ends now. I expect to see your reports on-on my desk by the end of t-today.”

She grabbed her stuff hastily and ran out of the room. People in the room saw how Mingyu chased after her, Wonho and Wonwoo dashed after them.

“What’s going on?” Someone asked. "Miss Oh just stuttered."

“Dunno.”

Johnny couldn’t sit still and quickly ran after the quartet. He had barely reached the lobby when he saw them entering the lifts, missing them by a second. He caught the look on Sojung’s face, though, as the doors closed.

He could never forget that look.

Wet eyes and a daunting glare, Wonho even had to prop her up. The others shared the same glare, but he saw a mix of worry in them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter