PwF 35

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Johnny paced up and down in his house. He had gotten a call from Mingyu, he raced home and saw Sojung already gone.

If only I stayed a little longer at the house.

He busted through the doors, WMW was grabbing necessary documents and contacting people. Mingyu threw him a look when he approached.

"What happened?"

"Police came looking for the Young Miss, claiming she had a hand in the death of some John Doe."

"What are you guys still doing here then? Don't we need to look for lawyers and all that? Why would the police suspect Sojung?"

Wonwoo came into the living room, waving his phone at his team and gave Johnny a glance as an acknowledgement of his presence. 

"This John Doe was the one we had captured the previous time. Remember how Hoseok hyung let him go after interrogation? Apparently, he was taken by another person right after he left TG.” He huffed. “Someone must have known we had someone and wanted to frame Young Miss for it.”

“.”

The doors opened and Sehun walked in, with Kun, Lucas and Jongin behind him. The moment Kai and Johnny’s eyes connected, the latter looked away.

“What’s the update?” Sehun went straight to Mingyu.

“Young Miss is in the holding cell at Hangang District.” He stated. “We just found out that the man that was killed - was someone we had caught previously to interrogate, the gang head that had attacked Young Miss - leaving her with a concussion.”

Sehun closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

“Jongin, you did the autopsy, didn’t you?”

Kai nodded, “I pulled some strings and managed to be the head pathologist. Our victim still had wounds from us, but there were fresh ones. His ribs were broken in 6 different places, a dislocated jaw, broken shin. One of his ribs pierced his lungs.”

He clicked his tongue.

“All those injuries weren’t the causes of his death. He overdosed on Happy Water, and the perpetrators carved our Clan logo onto his arm. This is a frame job.”

Sehun closed his eyes in frustration.

“And I can’t go down there,” he pinched his nose bridge. 

“Why can’t you go? You’re family, they should let you--”

Sehun gave Johnny a look.

“If I appear there, the police will know the relationship between Sojung and I. Us being siblings are not known to the mainstream public, it’s classified information for… special reasons.”

Sehun kicked the table. Kai had to hold his friend back.

“She’ll be fine. She has a good network, she’ll get out of this fine. Besides, she didn’t kill him.” He reasoned. “She’ll be alright.”

 

***

 

Sojung was seated in the interrogation room, her legs crossed, arms folded across her chest while the detectives read her the case’s details.

“Our victim was a 36-year-old small-time gangster. He was found just this morning with fading bruises and recovering fractures all over his body.” Detective Lim dropped the file and braced himself against the table, leaning towards Sojung. “Now, who could have done that?”

“Isn’t that your job, Detective?” Sojung asked. “Why are you asking me?”

“Well, our investigations show that our victim had a fresh tattoo on his forearm, which coincidentally, matches yours.”

She scoffed, “And how did you know what my tattoo looks like?”

Detective Lim smirked. He turned to Detective Kim, motioning his head towards Sojung. The younger female detective reached for Sojung’s arm and lifted her sleeve. The girl just sat there, watching the detective reveal her tattooed arm.

The two detectives shared a look when they recognised the art on her skin.

“Have you stared enough, detectives?” Sojung smiled. “I know it’s pretty, but you don’t have to stare.”

Detective Kim dropped Sojung's arm and dusted her hands. Sojung scoffed, folding her arms again, this time, a sneer replacing her smile.

“Why did you guys really bring me here? Because a tattoo linked me to the body? Come on,” she chuckled darkly. “You guys need to be better than this.”

“Don’t be smug, Oh Sojung. We will pin you to your crimes.”

“Sure,” she nodded. “How about you get me here when you’ve gotten the evidence?”

Detective Lim ignored her jab and sat down opposite her. Sojung tilted her head at him as if taunting him to do something to incriminate her. 

“I’m going to ask you one more time, did you kill this man?”

She stared at him, taking a breath for a dramatic effect before raising her eyebrow and leaned back on her chair.

“I refuse to answer any question.”

He raked his hair in irritation.

“Do you want your phone call? We can give it to you if you ask.”

She shook her head, chuckling. Before he could say anything more, a knock sounded at the door and their colleague popped his head in.

“Sir?” His eyes landed on Sojung. “Her lawyer’s here to see her.”

Detective Lim and Kim shared a look before simultaneously turning to Sojung, who had a satisfied look on her face. She shrugged at them and snapped her fingers at the officer at the door.

“Let him in, then,” she said. “Aren’t you going to let me see my lawyer?”

 

*

 

The Chief of the Hangang District stood outside the office and bowed as Sojung approached him. Her team followed behind her, the Detectives who arrested her were standing at attention.

“My apologies, Miss Oh. My subordinates were over the line by bringing you in like this.”

Sojung cast them a glance and smiled good-naturedly at the Chief.

“It’s alright, Chief Yoon. I’m alright, I’m happy to help in any way,” she held her hand out. “Feel free to contact me or my lawyer if my assistance is required.”

“Yes, yes, sure.”

The Chief then turned to Sojung’s lawyer.

“I’m impressed, Hyunwoo-ah.” The Chief patted his arm. “You used to be the quietest student in my class and you’re a big-time lawyer now."

Shownu chuckled, giving the older male a nod.

"It's because of you that I chose to become a lawyer."

"Aigoo, you really do have a way with words." The Chief then stepped aside. "I guess I shouldn't let you guys stay here any longer than necessary."

Sojung tilted her head at the Chief, smirked at the two detectives and walked off. Shownu maintained the cheery facade until they exited the station, his facial expressions immediately fell into his usual cold look.

"It's been tough on you, Young Miss," he bowed. "Did the detectives do anything to you?"

She dusted her sleeves, shaking her head.

"No, but," she faced him. "They said something about his tattoo being freshly carved."

Shownu handed her his phone, it was a voice exchange between Wonho and himself. Her eyes narrowed as she heard Wonho explain things to Shownu.

"A frame job," she repeated. "I am going to kill this guy."

She grabbed Shownu's keys and got into his car. The team wanted to hop in but she gave them a dead stare, they had no choice but to stay still and watch as she drove off.

Shownu quickly whipped his phone out.

"Young Master? Young Miss drove my car. I think she's off to look for the guy who framed her."

 

***

 

Sojung sipped on her alcohol at a bar, her eyes pinned on the wall in front of her, her free hand playing with a dart. She felt a presence behind her and hands on her shoulders.

“Hey, you’re early.” The male leaned down and kissed her cheek. “That’s a first.”

She turned, eyes following the man as he sat down opposite her. Her friendly gaze changed into something darker.

“J,” she started. “How have you been recently?”

He gave her an incredulous smile while waving the bartender over.

“Whiskey on the rocks,” he ordered and faced her with a teasing grin. “Why would you ask me that?”

She shrugged, “I’m just concerned. Though, I’ve not been well.”

“Oh?”

Jinu dropped his arm onto the backrest of her seat, his other hand reached for his glass. He side-eyed her while emptying his drink.

“What happened? Tell me.”

“There had been a murder and drug bust,” she started, twirling her wine glass. “I was called into the police station just a few hours ago for questioning.”

“Why would they look for you?” He glanced at her, “It’s not like you would do something like that.”

“They found a fresh tattoo of my Clan mark on the victim.”

She scratched her head.

“I have no idea how someone I have never met would have my symbol on their body. Unless it’s a frame job.”

Jinu chortled, “Would anyone be able to frame someone like you? You’re like a god, everyone would want to be you. You’re untouchable.”

“Someone powerful, someone who wants my spot? I don’t know,” she watched him as he asked for another shot of whiskey. “There are a lot of people who want power but don’t get it, so they resort to tricks like this.”

She noticed how his jaw tightened for just a quick second.

Sojung flipped her hair over her shoulder, “Well, I doubt anyone would be able to harm my reputation t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter