PwF 05

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“What? There’s something wrong with the production line and you’re telling me this now?”

Sojung’s car halted outside a wedding planner’s store. She tapped her fingers on the wheel, taking a deep breath to calm herself down. She glanced down at her phone, she was on a call with the intern at product management.

Someone knocked on her car window, making her pause mid-sentence to see who it was. When she realised it was Mingyu, she held her palm up.

Mingyu nodded and stood aside to wait for her.

“If you told me about this yesterday, we could have settled this issue earlier. I have something on now that I won’t be able to push back.” She scolded the guy on the phone. “Fine, you know what, I’m coming back. Give me an hour. I’ll get back. Meanwhile, get all the relevant reports and documents prepared for me. I want to see preparation when I return, do you get me?”

She tapped her wireless earpiece and hung up on the male. She shut her eyes, took a deep breath and got out of the car.

“Did Ben call you?” Mingyu asked the moment she stepped out.

“You told him to?”

“Yeah. He kept pushing for someone else to call you, I told him he should handle his own mistakes himself.” Mingyu chuckled. “The intern’s new to your work style, Young Miss.”

Sojung eyed him before giving him a small smile.

“Anyway, is Johnny here yet?” She asked.

Mingyu glanced over his shoulder, “Yeah, he’s inside.”

She tilted her head to the side.

“Woah, I did not expect that.”

She was on the way into the store when her mobile rang again. It was Hoon. She flashed Mingyu the screen with a roll of her eyes and proceeded to answer the call on her earpiece.

“Yes, Hoon?”

She held her hand out, Mingyu handing her, her notebook.

“Are you kidding me? Why are you coming to me about this? Isn’t this your job?”

 

*

 

Johnny flipped through the magazines while waiting for his future wife to turn up. His parents forced him to wake early, despite his hungover and made him take the cab and reach the wedding planner’s 30 minutes before their appointment time.

They knew he would wake up late and end up ditching Sojung, so they made sure he went straight.

The bell to the doors rang as they opened, and Sojung entered. Johnny’s eyes followed the girl as she seemingly got into a small argument with someone on the phone.

Her suit made her look more professional and he marvelled at her beauty.

“At least I’m marrying a hot woman.” He whispered under his breath as he watched her in admiration. “Just look at her go.”

Mingyu cleared his throat, noticing how the guy was staring at his Young Miss, Johnny blinked and looked away. Sojung looked around and went to Johnny. She waved the planner over to their table, hanging up on Hoon. Mingyu excused himself to the other side, working on his stuff while waiting for her.

“Sorry I’m late, I had some work stuff I needed to settle.”

“Oh, no problem, Mrs Seo. Mr Seo’s been here for quite a while.” The lady handed Sojung some papers. “Mr Seo has already looked through them but I believe the bride should have a look first before anything gets decided.”

Sojung flipped the papers, “Thanks, but I think we’ll just go for a simple ceremony. Johnny?”

She looked over at him and saw him eyeing her, she patted his thigh, pinching him slightly. He sat up from the sharp pain and forced a smile on his face as he nodded.

“Yes, wife, definitely.” He patted her hands but she pulled away. “Simple can be beautiful too.”

“Oh, yes! Please hold on, I’ll go grab you brochures on simpler setups.

The planner went off and Sojung scooted away from Johnny.

“What’s with the scooting? Didn’t you just touch my thigh?” He smirked. “Why were you late? I wouldn’t coin you as someone who would be late for meetings and appointments.”

She side-eyed him, “I was at work, something that you should get into.”

He frowned.

“Now, now. I’m being nice here, don’t be such a spoilsport and get all defensive on me.” He tsk-ed. “Were you at work, or at work?”

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“Well, my friend saw you at DONA last night with another man,” he leaned in. “Is he your boyfriend? Come on, you can tell me, I promise I won’t get jealous.”

Sojung elbowed him in the stomach.

“I don’t have to explain to you. One more question and I'll sock you in the face.” She spat. "Don't try me."

 

*

 

Johnny tried on several suits but two sets stood out: navy blue and dark grey. She went to the shelves and took a white jacket, handing it to him.

“Try this.”

He took it, purposely touching her hands, “Sure, wife.”

Johnny disappeared behind the curtains. Sojung sat down, flipping through the catalogue of dresses when Mingyu walked over. He handed her her phone.

“It’s Hoon, again.”

Sojung closed her eyes in frustration, her thumbing swiping to answer the call.

“What now, Hoon?”

She excused herself and walked to the side.

Johnny came out in the outfit Sojung chose and searched for her when he didn't see her. Mingyu pointed to him where Sojung was and he approached her quietly, seeing how her brows were knitted.

"Finance will be able to last more than a day without me," he heard her say. "I'll be back in the office in 30 minutes."

Sojung took a deep breath and Johnny tapped her shoulder, "How do I look?"

Turning around, she gave him a once over and adjusted the lapels to the jacket. She patted his chest to even the fabric.

"You look good."

"Great," he got behind her and pushed the girl towards the dresses. "Now, it's your turn."

Mingyu jerked forward when he saw Johnny touching Sojung but sat back down when he realised it was to bring her to change. 

She felt through each dress and picked three dresses to her liking. A staff member followed her behind the curtains and Johnny settled down on the sofa in front of the changing room. His phone vibrated. It was a text from one of his employees at the subsidiary.

 

 

 

Mia

Boss, have you heard? Big Boss has arranged for someone to take over the reins for half a year. Come back to the office soon, everyone's worried.


Johnny's brows furrowed.

"What?" He mumbled under his breath. "What is dad thinking?"

He typed a reply but heard whispering from behind the curtains. He turned around just as the curtains drew open. Johnny's jaw dropped at the sight of Sojung in a gown.

He knew she was pretty but this level of beauty?

Woah.

He got to his feet, "You look amazing."

She looked at herself in the mirror, eyeing the long see-through sleeves of the dress.

"Ms Kim, can I request for my final dress to have lining sewed in the sleeves?"

The planner nodded, she saw Sojung's half sleeve tattoo when she was helping her earlier.

 

Mingyu glanced over his shoulder and his eyes widened when he saw Sojung.

"The boys gotta see this."

He whipped out his phone and took a photo of Sojung, sending it to Wonho and Wonwoo. He then went back to doing his work, a small smile on his face.

 

"Try the other two, maybe you'll like one of them more." Johnny urged. "I wanna see."

Sojung wordlessly pulled the curtains and let the dress staff undress her. She stared at her reflection, her mind slowly registering the fact that she was going to be someone else's wife in a month's time.

"This could have been us, Changkyun-ah." She whispered under her breath. "I miss you."

 

*

 

After the dress fitting, both parties decided on one main outfit each and one for the after-party. Sojung's phone kept ringing, Mingyu looked through her messages and they were all from Hoon. He shook his head.

"I swear, Hoon can be so obsessed with Young Miss sometimes."

Sojung approached him while adjusting her collar.

"Who's obsessed with me?"

He just showed her her phone, countless messages and missed calls painted her screen. Sojung scoffed, taking the device and tucking it into her pocket.

"I think he's more than obsessed. He wants to be me."

"Are you done, already?" Mingyu took her bag from her. "That was fast."

"I'm not picky, besides, if I don't head down to Samsung now, Hoon and the production team would come here to find me instead."

 

Johnny pulled his shirt on while stepping out of the changing room. His eyes scanned the room for Sojung and saw her with her secretary. he suddenly thought of Mark's words.

"Was this the guy Mark saw her with last night?" He thought to himself. "Tall, good looking."

Sojung called out to him at this point, as though the pair could hear him. Johnny jumped, she gave him a weird look, "If everything's done here, I'll take my leave."

He gave her a nod and she left the store.

 

*

 

Sojung called for a short meeting in her office the moment she stepped into Samsung. She wanted to give the department heads a heads-up on her next half a year's schedule.

"S20 will still be coming out in 6 weeks, I will personally see this through." She announced to the room. "I will be hopping between two companies for half a year from today, I am still contactable. If in any case, you cannot reach me, call Mingyu."

The members of the room nodded.

“I trust you all will be able to get things done on time even without me here. I still want to see monthly reports."

"Yes, Miss Oh."

"There's nothing else from me. Thanks, guys, you can go back to work.”

“Have a good day ahead, Miss Oh." Head of Advertising bowed. "See you in 6 months.”

She smiled at the men and sat down on her chair as they walked out. When she saw Hoon not budging, she turned to him.

"Hoon, I want to make something clear." She said firmly. "Call me when there are issues about the company or the products, not every small problem you face. I hired you for finance. If you come asking me about everything, why do I still need you?"

Hoon rolled his eyes.

"If I recalled correctly, you told me to report everything to you. And now, you're blaming me for it?"

She scoffed, "You are a grown- man, you should be able to handle things by yourself. And don't twist my words. I said to report any negative activities to me, not everything."

Hoon rolled his eyes and stormed out of her office as Wonho and Wonwoo piled in, closing the door behind them. Mingyu was appalled at how a 36-year-old man could be so childish and unprofessional at work.

Wonho took her laptop as she gathered her stuff.

“We have a new job, boys,” Sojung announced. “To Kia.”

 

***

 

Kia was located in the Central Business District. An area filled with buildings meant more spaces for potential danger to be lurking. Mingyu rode with Sojung in the first sedan, Wonho and Wonwoo cruised behind them. When her driver dropped them off, Sojung walked forward first, Mingyu following behind her while talking into his earpiece.

“I’ll take the Young Miss upstairs, do what you have to do.”

Mingyu watched as Wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter