PwF 27

Playing with Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Johnny never knew how tiring it was for Sojung as head of Kia until he actually stepped into her shoes. One 2-hour meeting was doable, but multiple 2, 3, 4-hour meetings?

The information he was getting from his employees was overloading his brain.

He wasn't actually prepared to head so many meetings, he thought he just had to sit in, but when the presenters started talking, he realised he didn't understand a lot of things.

Thank god for Mingyu.

Johnny rested his head on the cold desk surface while Mingyu went to grab him a cup of coffee.

"Not pleasant, huh?"

He sat up, Mingyu shook his head while walking towards him.

"Thanks," Johnny sipped the coffee. "I have no idea how Sojung does this."

"It's not easy being my Young Miss, and it's only your first day filling her shoes. What happens when the 6 months end and you're on your own?"

Mingyu rearranged the documents on the table for the next meeting. Many thoughts were running through Johnny's mind. The guard could tell Johnny was impressed with his Boss.

Like, who wouldn't?

She's someone who could set someone straight with just a glare.

The Clan Elders even had to control their behaviour around her.

"Look alive, Mr Seo," Mingyu looked up. "Your next meeting is starting in 15 minutes."

 

***

 

Sojung was typing away at her table when her office door threw open. She looked up lazily, returning to her work when Johnny walked in, with Mingyu trailing behind him.

"How was your day?" She asked offhandedly. "Anything informative?"

Johnny let out a long exaggerated sigh, Mingyu stifled a laugh.

"I have no idea how you do this," Johnny started. "Meetings after meetings. One meeting is done, another in 15 minutes."

Sojung chuckled, eyes still on her papers and laptop.

"It's not easy, huh. You have another 3 months to get used to this before I step down. I am a pretty busy woman, you know."

"Exactly!"

He pushed himself off the sofa and walked over to her desk, bracing himself as he leaned over.

"Mingyu told me you have Samsung and Clan duties to care for too. How do you live?"

"I'm already used to the workload, I have everything planned nicely, which means I don't tolerate unnecessary trouble."

Johnny recalled the previous rendezvous that caused her to finish his work for him. He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, realizing just then that he had been creating more work for Sojung instead of helping her.

"I--"

"I know what you're gonna say. It's fine. You can always start today," she stopped working and looked at him. "It's never too late to start trying now."

Johnny poured, walking around the table. He pulled Sojung's seat from the desk, making her face him.

"You're the best," he whispered and hugged her, his body in a half-kneeling position. "Thank you."

Mingyu's eyes popped out of their sockets, he was deciding between going up to pull Johnny away or staying put and pretending he didn't see anything when Sojung returned the hug loosely, patting her husband on the back.

"Now," she ironed out her expressions. "Hands off and go back to work."

He sprang to his feet, saluting her.

"Yes, Mdm!"

He then skipped out of her office, Mingyu's eyes following every skip until Johnny was out of eyesight and earshot. He padded towards Sojung.

"Young Miss?"

"Hmm?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. He couldn't find the words or the heart to ask Sojung what she thought of Johnny.

Her brows met at the silence and side-eyed the guard.

"What is it?"

"Ah, nothing," he chuckled awkwardly. "I forgot to tell Mr Seo to compile the notes from the meetings today for you to look through."

She motioned towards the door with her eyebrows, "Go on."

He excused himself, Sojung found herself heaving a sigh the moment she was alone. She laid back down on the chair, rubbing her temples. A headache was building up and she wanted to rest her head a little before pain exploded.

“Young Miss?”

Sojung straightened up, “Come in.”

Wonwoo entered the room, he gave her a small nod before hurrying to her side.

“What did the bastard say?”

Wonwoo shook his head.

“Nothing. No matter how much the people at Training Ground hurt him, he just wouldn’t budge about who was the one who instructed him to hurt you,” he then took out a piece of paper from his pocket. “Hoseok took over for a while and managed to get this out of him.”

Sojung reached for the paper, it was the hangul character of a surname.

“Kim?”
“He only managed to get this out, before he fainted.”

Sojung got to her feet.

“Where is he now?”

“He can’t take any more torture, hyung let him loose. The guy will be able to recover but he won’t be able to use his left hand again.”

Wonwoo walked around the table and sat Sojung down. He went to her drawer and pulled out an ointment. She closed her eyes, Wonwoo stood behind her and started to massage her temples gently.

“Your headaches are acting up again?”

She nodded.

“One wrong move 4 years ago led to this,” she chuckled. “If I had known, I wouldn’t have done it.”

He let out an amused breath.

“Drugs are never the answer, Young Miss. Master Im would have killed you if he found out you tried--”

“That’s enough Woo-ya, it was a mistake. I’ll never do it again. Sehun’s given me hell for that too.”

“The three of us are always here if you need us.”

“I know…”

Wonwoo patted her head, “It’s like I have to constantly remind you that, so you don’t carry all that pressure and weight on yourself.”

He then knelt beside her.

“You have your husband now, too. Although he might not be much help, I trust that he’ll be a good hand for you - in the future.”

Sojung smirked, “It’s not every day I hear you praise Youngho, Woo.”

“I have no choice,” he shrugged. “He’s your husband and I’m tasked to guard him, so I guess, it’s just a matter of time.”

“You are a softie, admit it.”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes, “Only to those I have my eyes on.”

 

***

 

Johnny was in the toilet, bent over the sink after washing his face. He stared at his reflection and tried to clear his mind but Sojung’s face kept appearing.

He shook his head but her face resurfaced.

“What?” He huffed. “Why am I thinking about her?”

His phone pinged, a message came from Wonwoo. He quickly opened it up.

 

Wonwoo

Young Miss wants to see you in her office now.

 

He splashed water at his face once more and wiped himself dry before dragging his feet towards Sojung’s office.

 

Knock knock

 

Johnny pushed the door and stepped in, Sojung was alone.

“Where’s Wonwoo?” He asked timidly. “He texted me telling me you wanna see me?”

“Yeah, sit down.”

Johnny went to the coffee table and sat down, making himself comfortable. Worried thoughts instantly flooded his mind. He thought he had done something wrong.

“Did something bad happen? Did I do something wrong?”

Sojung walked over with her cup of coffee.

“No, it’s not about work,” she settled down beside him. “Should I be concerned that that’s your first thought?”

“H-Huh?”

“The moment Wonwoo texted you that I wanted to see you in my office, the first thing you think about is you screwing something up?”

“Ye-Yeah?”

Sojung chuckled.

“You’re doing pretty well today, actually. I have no complaints. Gyu and Woo have compliments for you too.” She side-eyed him playfully. “Well done.”

A small smile crept up Johnny’s lips.

It certainly felt nice to be complimented.

Especially if the compliments came from Sojung.

“So, why..?”

“I wanted to talk to you about the Clan.”

Johnny sat up straight, eyes darting around.

“Are you sure it’s safe to talk about it here? What if someone pops up?”

“Gyu and Woo are at their desks, they’ll let me know if anyone comes.”

He pretended to zip his lips and leaned forward, showing Sojung his interest in wanting to know more about her and the C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter