Chapter 23

It's Always You

---

After we'd met with other prefects and briefed them over their duties and schedule we came up with, we parted our ways and found the others all cramped up in one compartment. Just as we entered, Baekhyun started wolf-whistling and Junmyun pretended to throw non-existent flower petals. They saluted Chanyeol as if he had just made it out of war alive.

"Hi." I greeted Jinyoung with a kiss. "Sorry Yumi, I never got to join you. I forgot about the Head meeting. Hey, Baekhyun move aside, make space for me! Hello, Andrew, how were your summers?" I said it all rather quickly and they all raised their eyebrows at me in response. "Sorry I'm just a little bit distracted by recent events such as Chanyeol becoming Head boy."

Yumi and Andrew looked appropriately surprised by this but Jinyoung just laughed at it and said, "Wow, that's a blow to his reputation."

"Excuse me." I sniffed. Baekhyun and Junmyun nodded solemnly, eyes filled with sadness.

Jinyoung quickly explained. "As a notorious prankster, I meant. And since you, Mirae, does not have a prankster mastermind and have everything quality it takes to be a Head, so the honor is very deserving." He ended with a slight bow in my direction and I elbowed him in his ribs in amusement.

"You were absolutely the last person I was predicting to be chosen as Head Boy." Yumi announced. "Well except perhaps Baekhyun."

"I know!" Junmyun agreed, nodding along. "I mean I would have picked you, Andrew, before Chanyeol."

"Er... thanks?" Andrew answered uncertainly.

I threw a glance at Chanyeol who looked slightly uncomfortable, and it wasn't because he was cramped painfully between Junymun and Yumi. One look told me he seemed half-embarrassed and uneasy about the conversation going on. At that moment, I realized that it wasn't his choice that they picked him. I've never seen him do anything for extra credit so there must be other reasons that our Headmistress chose him and he's given no option but to go along with it. Maybe we shouldn't give him a hard time about it, or , it's just as unbelievable and new for him too. So I added, "But anyway, as surprising as it is, I think he'll be good at it."

I earned myself a few stifled gasps from all the occupants of the compartment. "I do." I insisted and the subject was dropped.

The rest of the train ride was passed in the usual manner: catching up on each others' summers and stuffing ourselves to our throats. I was mostly the listener to all the hilarious tales the guys had to tell. It was nearly dark as we stepped into the campus building and I was beginning to feel all sad and nostalgic again with memories of our first day here rushing in my mind like a movie. I had been so excited when I first came here, though a little nervous but happy. Time sure flies. 

I didn't have much time to sort out my feelings when I caught sight of the juniors looking totally confused about the corridors and the sense of responsibility took over me. I hurried over to them and led them to the main hall where they were supposed to have dinner after Headmistress's address. I looked around for my fellow Head but he was nowhere to be seen.

Yumi and I found our seats and were joined by Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Junmyun shortly after. All three of them were grinning in a way that I'd come to believe was associated with mayhem and disaster and trouble and every other word like that. It made me frown at them suspiciously.

"All right, what have you lot done?" I crossed my arms, demandingly.

"What do you mean, flower?" Chanyeol answered with a carefully held innocent look behind his glasses.

"What did I tell you about calling me names?"

"Now there's no need to get so touchy." He rolled his eyes.

I sighed turning to Baekhyun and fixed him with an accusatory glare.

"What?" He answered defensively.

I no longer expected them to answer me so I glanced at my fellow prefect. Junmyun shrugged and pointed at the stage. "The speech is about to start."

The student body quickly hushed quiet. Everybody stilled in their places. I raised an eyebrow when I saw our teacher come up to the stage, and it wasn't our Headmistress as it should be. Surprised, I looked around at the gathered students, and spotted Madame Jung walking briskly towards the teachers' table, grabbed the mike with anger fuming off her nostrils.

"As your Discipline in-charge, I'm here to inform you to refrain from using all the washrooms on floors 2 and 3 of this building. Someone thought it would be very funny to place fake vomits on the basins which have made it unbearably stinky and revolting to use the washrooms. Besides, you might see 'OUT OF ORDER' signs on every remaining washroom here. Do not take it seriously. It's a joke just to keep you all away. The washrooms have been thoroughly checked and are perfectly running."

Jinyoung snorted behind me and he was hardly the only one. The idea of such washrooms was very interesting and excited murmurs ran down the entire audience. From the corner of my eye, I saw Baekhyun sit up straighter in his seat.

"I don't know which person or persons-" She glared at the trio on my table- " did this. But please, know that you are most likely going to find yourself in a month of detention." Her lips remained in that sternly thin, fierce line as she threatened.

The three maniacs beside me were shaking from suppressed laughter. For once, I was terrified by what fate awaited them at the end of the night. 

"I'm afraid, I'll have to delay your dinner until I find the person behind this." Madame Jung approached thunderously when nobody confessed for some good fifteen minutes.

Several students let out moans of disappointment. Including Yumi and I since we were totally famished. In my peripheral vision, I noticed Baekhyun sigh deeply and stood up from his seat casually with a proud expression that it looked like he was receiving some medal.

"Me, professor! I did it." He declared loudly, fighting a grin.

"Baekhyun." I hissed, panicking. I don't know why I wanted him not to get caught when getting him punished had always been my biggest mission all the years. But he put a finger on his lips and winked at me like getting caught in front of the entire school is no big deal.

Every head in the hall swiveled to look at him. I caught signs of a victorious smile flash upon Madame Jung's thin features which clearly said I knew it!  but it disappeared quickly. She marched down the stairs and closer to our table. I shrank back a bit in my seat, fearfully holding my breath but Baekhyun was totally unfazed by the killing look in her eyes.

"Mr. Byun." She said quietly, loud enough for others to hear. "I do not know what possessed you to pull such a stunt, neither will I ever, but know that you are going to spend every night of first two weeks of this term for detention in my office."

Baekhyun questioned pleasantly. "I thought you said a month, professor?"

Chanyeol let out a snort of laughter from beside me but he controlled it.

Madame Jung's eyes flickered to the Head Boy and then back to Baekhyun. She ignored his cheeky question, which I assume is his luck or she could have easily doubled his detention, and asked. "Am I correct to assume you are the sole doer behind this?"

"Yes, ma'am." Baekhyun answered without hesitation.

She looked at him doubtfully but nodded. I could tell by her expression that she suspected Chanyeol but didn't choose to dig in further. She faced me, causing me to spring up in my seat and adjusting my badge consciously. "Miss Kang, can I see you in my office after the feast?"

"Of-of course professor," I answered, wide-eyed. As she turned her back, I exchanged a nervous look with Yumi.

 Our Headmistress came over and said a few words of welcome to the new entrees this year and then finally came the moment I've been waiting for all my life.

She congratulated Chanyeol and me on our prestigious Headship, and how she had complete trust in our abilities to control any wrongdoing and maintain order in the entire student body. The speech wasn't very long but it was enough to bring moistness to my eyes. We both smiled widely and bowed to her.

In the middle of the feast when we had enough food in our stomach, Jinyoung turned to the trio. "So, how did you do it?" He asked curiously. 

I added. "And when the hell did you get time to raise such a ruckus?"

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. "First of all, we didn't do anything." He pointed at Junmyun and himself.

I rolled my eyebrows. "Of course, okay Baekhyun, how did you do it?"

"A prankster never kisses and tells, love." He said enigmatically, smirking slyly at Chanyeol as if they were sharing a private joke. My eyes automatically met Chanyeol's for a small fraction of a second and he quickly looked away.

I brought my glass to my lips quickly, gulping down the pomegranate juice. Chanyeol leaned forward to explain. "Well if someone had to carry out such a brilliant prank, not that I'm saying we did, but even so, they'd have to be the first ones to enter the building before anybody reaches any washroom. And then break up into teams to place the fake vomits in the basins, sprinkle them with water so they looked real, and then paste already-prepared 'out of order' signs on all of the doors. It takes planning and teamwork."

After a moment of stunned silence, I turned to Baekhyun. "Why did you take everyone's blame on yourself?"

"Mirae, haven't you been listening?" Chanyeol said indignantly. "I told you we have nothing-"

But Junmyun cut him off, giving me the explanation I was looking for. "Look, Chanyeol is a Head boy so apparently he shouldn't take a part in this. And I'm a prefect, and also the fact that it's obvious I can't pull such a prank on a large scale all on my own so..." He trailed off with a shrug.

"And you agreed to that?" Jinyoung asked Baekhyun incredulously.

Chanyeol answered. "Baek takes detention as a matter of personal pride."

We fell quiet after that.

-

As I knocked at Madame Jung's door after dinner, I couldn't fathom what wrong could I have possibly done so early that I was called in her office but I had a sneaky suspicion what this was about.

"Please, have a seat, Miss Mirae." She smiled pleasantly, setting down her teacup on the table.

I occupied the seat she pointed at, folding my clammy hands manner fully on my lap.

"First, I must offer you a word of congratulations on being Head Girl, it is very well deserved." She began. "I've been rooting for you ever since the start."

"Thank you, ma'am." I flushed, taken back at the rare compliment from my Head of Department. Why didn't she invite the Head Boy if she just wanted to congratulate?

I got my answer soon enough.

"On that note, however--" her lips turned tight again "-- your partnership with Mr. Park Chanyeol is not something I was very supportive of. I normally trust our Headmistress' judgment but..." She trailed off, not wanting to talk ill of a higher-up.

To my surprise, I found myself irritated by the idea of Chanyeol being unworthy of being Head Boy. I would have agreed with her completely before, but... doesn't he, at least, deserves a chance to prove himself. And to be honest, it sounds like a perfect trick to stop the trio's prank. What's better than to make one of them a part of the discipline regulator?

"I think we should give him a chance, ma'am." I blurted my thoughts out.

She looked shocked at first but recovered quickly. "Very well."

She didn't look too convinced so I decided to explain a bit. "We both know he has a knack for making trouble but you can't deny that he's responsible and serious when his heart is set out on something. Take his captaincy for an example."

She sighed deeply. "Yes, that makes sense. But I think you and I both know how unlikely it is for Mr. Byun to act on his own tonight. I would like to assure you that if your fellow Head gives you any trouble, or exhibits any behavior that is less fitting for his position, please feel free to report me, understood?"

A thousand retorts sprang to my mouth but I decided it was too unethical to argue with a teacher on this. "Yes, professor."

"You're free to go."

I stood up and walked to her door. "Good night, Professor."

-

"I mean I'm not your mother, you're not a child so I don't see where is the problem? The Headmistress thinks you can do it, think you can do it, and that's all that really matters, right?" I ranted nonstop after relaying everything that happened in Madame's Jung's office to the three bewildered guys sitting in front of me on the couch with awed looks. Baekhyun and Junmyun stared at me with a mix of disbelief and amusement. "What?" I said defensively.

"Do you think I could get that last bit in writing? And you could sign it, just for--" Chanyeol inquired, looking around for a piece of paper.

I threw a pillow at him. "I just think it's unfair of her to judge you so soon."

Junmyun half-smiled. "You might regret those words, Mirae."

"Aw, what makes you say that, bunny?" Chanyeol smiled innocently.

"Oh, you know, just the memories of you two planning extremely crazy and foolish pranks over the summers." He replied pleasantly.

Chanyeol sighed, holding his head. "The Earth has been officially thrown off its orbit when Mirae supports me more than my friends."

"Agreed," I muttered, nodding firmly.

-

Chanyeol and I sauntered off to our rooms quite excitedly earlier to see our rooms. But our bubble busted as soon as he kicked open the door. There was seriously nothing to take a picture of and send it to mom. A single bed in one corner. A chair and a desk. A rectangle glass window with a wooden window seat. And a bathroom opening off to one of the far walls. Even my dorm was more cheery.

This place wasn't very far from the old dorms, in fact just a few staircases above, on the topmost floor of the student residential compound. It sure was a long hike from the common room and we were disappointed to see this.

Exchanging a glance, I shrugged at him. As Chanyeol began dragging his luggage in his room, I was reminded I had a lot of unpacking to do too, and this time without three girls babbling beside me. Without another word other than, "Good night," I left for my room.

I fell into bed, fully expecting to doze off immediately after the arduous packing I had to go through. But it took me hours of tossing and turning restlessly in the bed. Seems like I was used to three other girls snoring and talking in their sleep. Pretty weird, but I'm not one to appreciate changes; sudden changes. It always leaves me troubled but this whole transition, this responsibility was new and I could only hope that I'd do well and adjust.  I woke up the next morning, the first day of school, quite reluctantly, cursing at my alarm clock.

Grumbling, I met Yumi in the common room and we set off for breakfast. "You look tired? Slept well?" She questioned.

"Nah. I guess I'm too used to sleeping with three girls so-" I yawned.

"Now, that's interesting." A voice boomed behind me.

"And good morning to you too, Chanyeol," I answered, frowning at him.

"Well, I'm sorry you slept badly." Yumi ignored the brief interruption. "If it helps, I'll let you know that missed sleeping with you too, Mirae." She offered happily.

"Yeah, me too," Chanyeol said slinging his arm on my shoulder.

I glared at him and shoved it away. "I was serious about the flirting thing." I growled warningly.

"I never joke about flirting, dear." He replied solemnly.

"I meant how I don't want you to do it." 

"You never said that."

"Well, I'm saying it now."

"Fine, fine have it your way." He relented. "I realized I haven't properly thanked you for defending me."

Yumi cleared . "What?" 

"Oh, you don't know? Our Mirae here kicked Madame Jung on the and told her off how silly it was to doubt my--"

I help my hands up, surprised. "Hey, hey I never did such a thing!" I protested.

"What?"

"I said everything in a cool, calm, collected manner. No kicking butts included." I told them.

"Oh." Chanyeol sounded half-indignant. "I guess I don't want to sleep with you after all." He said the last bit as he sat on the table and Baekhyun and Junmyun raised their eyebrows at us but I shrugged them off.

"Didn't you say you had a story to tell me about a certain motorcycle?" I asked Baekhyun.

The guy frowned for a moment, then his eyes lit up. "Oh, we almost died that night," Chanyeol stated casually.

I rolled my eyes. "Not exactly something to joke about."

"Why, would you miss me?" Baekhyun teased.

"Possibly."

Chanyeol grinned and spoke in a spooky voice. "Okay, so Baek and I here were pretty bored one night and decided to take our genius bike on a ride and everything was going pretty smooth until two police officers on raid spotted us."

"Hang on, you're not making this up, are you?" Yumi interrupted.

Junmyun frowned at me. "Why would we do that?"

"We hardly need help building up our infamous reputation, dear." Chanyeol reminded us.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, continue."

"Right, well, of course, we had a bit of fun with the blokes--"

"Of course," I muttered in a sigh.

"--so we took them off on a high-speed chase-"

"-but naturally they didn't have much chance of catching us-"

"-so we a dead end on purpose-"

"-and then disappeared so fast they had no idea-"

I almost had to laugh at how animatedly the two guys relayed their adventure and the way they kept talking over one another. And even though I was half-convinced that it wasn't completely true, I got drawn in it nonetheless.

-

"Jinyoung, are you listening to me?" I asked, a little irritated.

"Huh, yeah of course." He replied absentmindedly. I'd been talking to him for the last ten minutes while he was goggling at a dance video playing on his phone. He's been watching a lot of those lately.

"Well?" I inquired.

"What?"

I inhaled deeply trying to control the annoyance from dripping in my tone. Honestly, I'm not annoyed at him, I'm annoyed at the situation. "I'm asking you if you've seen Chanyeol since our last class?" I repeated.

"No, I haven't, sorry." He replied without taking off his eyes from the screen.

I scowled and walked away from him. I'd been looking for the Head Boy but he was nowhere to be found. This was getting on my nerves. I debated on reasons why he was late on the first night of our rounds as I walked toward his room. I mean, who forgets the first time?! I've been talking about it all day. Does he even listen? I knocked and knocked and knocked.

No reply.

I checked if the door was locked and it wasn't. Creaking open, I tiptoed inside but he wasn't inside. His room looked much fuller than mine although less organized. A few posters and banners hung on the wall. I spotted some confetti on the floor and after seeing the empty pizza box in the bin, I could see the boys had had a party last night. A football sat on his bed and a guitar was leaning against the wall. I was about to leave when a certain poster caught my sight. It said in large bold letters, 'FOOTBALL TRYOUTS - DAEGU FC' along with an emblem inscribed on it which I suppose represents Daegu's football club. I frowned. Football tryouts? Is he planning to...?

Shaking off all thoughts and doubts, I closed his bedroom door and once again continued my search. 

"Have you lot seen Chanyeol?" I asked his two friends in the common room.

"Nope," Baekhyun replied, barely looking up from his chess game with Andrew.

I turned to Junmyun who just grinned at me winningly. "Too soon to say 'I told you so?' "

"Yes." I glowered at him. "I can't believe you guys wouldn't even pretend to support him!"

Baekhyun did look up at that. "My dear, you are awfully misinformed."

"About?"

"Life." He replied easily. "You see, Chanyeol is one of us; a prankster, a rascal, a mischief-maker. And now he has landed himself in a fairly respectable position, being a part of the school's authority, the same system we have striven to undermine for centuries." He ended with a serious expression. "Well six years exactly."

"Therefore he has left us no option to mock him for the rest of his life." Junmyun ended.

"Checkmate," Andrew stated with a winning smile.

Baekhyun's gaze dropped at the chessboard. "Now look what you've done." He accused me.

"You're no help," I grumbled and turned to leave.

"Hang on, Mirae," Baekhyun called after me. I looked back questioningly. "I think I remember him saying something about...wait no, I wasn't really paying attention---never mind!" He laughed pleasantly at me. 

Scowling once more, I started off in the direction of the bell tower. I couldn't decide if I was angry at Chanyeol or not. Maybe he'd actually forgotten it. It is the first night here, after all. He's not used to this stuff. He hadn't even read the informational letter we'd received over the summers too. I feel like I was expecting this.

I couldn't help but smile wryly, as I trudged at the stairs of the tallest tower. It was just so typical of Chanyeol that I don't think I could be truly mad at him for long. It makes no sense, I know and--

My thoughts were interrupted by the sight that met my eyes, the cool air hit me, as I reached the top of the tower. Chanyeol was standing half-concealed by the darkness of the tower, his arms engaged around a girl, lip-locked in a manner reminiscent of Yoori.

Momentarily, I stood there shocked. I gaped at them with a strange feeling arousing in my chest. So, Chanyeol has a new girl in his hand. Great. Just great. 

My stomach was twisting over with... anger? Of course, it has to be anger. At his irresponsibility surely, I decided. He was supposed to be doing rounds with me, instead, he chose to snog... um, well, I couldn't really tell who it was, but that's hardly the point here. I was considering marching up there and give him a good telling but I stayed rooted to the floor. As embarrassing as it is to admit... I felt uncomfortable interrupting them when they were so passionately engrossed in it.

I turned around quietly and started down the steps. I don't need anyone to do rounds. I'm fine on my own

But then, I stopped immediately. Don't be such a coward, Mirae. You didn't do anything wrong.  Taking a determined breath, I whipped back to confront my fellow head but before I could do that, my determination probably darkened my sight, instantly causing my elbow to collide with the stone wall of the tower. Swearing involuntarily at the pain, I in a painful hiss, rubbing at the spot. I froze when Chanyeol looked around at the noise, his eyes quickly finding me.

I pinked to my roots and was grateful for the darkness that he couldn't see me. Honestly, I've done this before. When couples are making out after curfew, I've separated them but this felt thousand times more uncomfortable. Chanyeol's lips formed into a smirk, his eyes glinting in the moonlit darkness. I tried to ignore the girl beside him who raised her perfectly plucked eyebrow at my clumsy move that clearly interrupted their intimacy.

I just stood there awkwardly, holding my throbbing elbow, staring at the two of them while they stared back.

"Hi." I blurted out.

"Hi." Chanyeol's voice echoed, and I could tell by his tone that he was mocking me. I could point out that annoying smirk on his face.

This was plenty to fuel my anger. Unlocking my limbs, I spoke in what I hope was a stern tone, "Having fun, are you? 'Cause, as far as I remember, we're supposed--"

It was his turn to swear. I saw his amusement mold into an expression of sudden realization. ", Mirae. I'm so sorry." Turning to the girl nestled beside him, he said. "Um, how about later?" He flashed a charmingly crooked smile.

I crossed my arms, the uneasiness had washed off thankfully. She gave him a sultry smile and replied with a smile. "Just name the time and place and I'll be there."

He nodded. Ignoring my unimportant presence, she gave him an unnecessarily long departing kiss causing me to look away quickly, the uneasiness was back. When they parted, she turned away fully giving a full view of her face. I can't recognize her that well but I could tell she had a beautiful dimpled smile. Without acknowledging my presence again, she brushed past me, skipping down the stairs. When she left, I wished I'd handed her out detention for not observing the curfew. My head was still dazzled by the whiff of strong perfume she had been wearing, it reminded me of a sickenly sweet toffee from my childhood that I hated.

"Lovely," I muttered sarcastically in her direction when she left, before fixing Chanyeol with an irritated glare.

He winced at my expression. "I'm sorry. It wouldn't happen again, I promise. It just slipped my mind." After a pause, he added, "You aren't going to report me to Madame Jung, are you?"

"No." I said evenly and stepped down the stairs myself without waiting for him. Though I should report him. He should be thankful I'm less heartless in his regard now.

He trotted to catch up. "Look, I did forget it. I wasn't--"

"So, I'm curious," I stated, overriding him, crossing my arms. "Is it a general practice of yours to have complete personalty makeover every year?"

He blinked a few times. "You really are mad at me, huh?" But he looked more amused by the situation than ashamed.

This just ignited me more. "And you're shocked? Let's see, Chanyeol why would I be mad at you? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm defending you like a crazy person to Yumi, your friends, Madame Jung--"

"No you didn't, you said--"

"And yet." I spoke over him once again. "here you are, kissing some random girl, while I--"

"Hold on, now you're judging me too, aren't you?"

"Oh yes, I most certainly am." I scoffed, making no effort to hide it.

"So are you pissed off because I missed rounds or because I'm kissing 'some random girl'?" Chanyeol shot me a look.

I turned to face him. We reached the third floor and turned around the corner. I tried to brainstorm for the right answer but I couldn't think of any. Maybe both? or just the former?

"Do you even know her name?" I challenged him, ignoring his question.

"Ahn Hyori." He answered promptly. I was impressed he could supply her full name too.

"And what year is she?"

"Junior High."

"Group?"

"Arts. And..." he added while my mouth was still open to question something difficult. "She has two brothers, one in your year and the other in fifth grade. Both her parents are neurologists. She enjoys baseball more than football, a bit unfortunate, which is too typical for my taste." He shuddered at the thought.

I smiled reluctantly. "Fine, but I'm still judging you."

"That's your choice, I suppose." He said fairly.

"Okay, so, point of interest--- Are you  planning to meet up with her again?"

He considered for a moment. "Why not? She was a decent kisser."

Something large and heavy dropped in my stomach. I shook off my thoughts. Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "Okay new topic. Did you know Baekhyun---"

"Has sworn to mock me for the rest of my life? Because I'm part of the school's authority system? Yeah, I know." He answered wearily. "I think he spent an entire day to prepare that speech so he could quote it whenever I was forced to do something responsible."

"So, that's how you're gonna be? Shirk away from your duties to get in his good books?" I demanded him.

"No, I honestly did just forget. But if it makes you less crazy that I'm trying to get in his good books, then yeah--"

"No, they're both equally disappointing."

"Fine." He surrendered quickly. "Can you find it in your pure and generous heart to forgive me, sweetheart?" Chanyeol asked gravely.

"Only if you stop calling me that."

"Does it really bother you? 'Cause all you have to do is ask me and I'll stop."

"No, it won't," I smirked. "I've tried to make you quit it three times in the last two days and that hasn't discouraged you the least." 

He grinned. "Maybe if it was a matter of life and death, I'd consider it."

I threw him a sharp look. Frowning, Chanyeol slid his glasses upwards on his nose and added, "You aren't really mad, are you?"

"I should be... but I'm not," I replied with a tired tone.

"Must be because of my good looks and charms, right?"

I rolled my eyes, "I doubt that."

"Well, whatever it is, I'm glad. I could hardly go on without you."

I scoffed. "You could always get Hyori dear to comfort you."

"Careful, flower. That rings awfully of jealousy."

---

I'm so excited to write about their final year! Especially with Chanyeol as Head boy, and now that Mirae is so attached to him, I feel that things are turning interesting. Stay tuned!

One more question, as you all know that it's m first book to be published on AFF, I'm still confused about how to properly promote it, let more people know about it. I've seen most of my readers have spent a long time writing here. If any of you have some tips, do share.