Chapter 22

It's Always You

I have a question for y'all that I intended to ask in the previous chapter. (I've posted it there as well)
Since our characters are entering their final year of high school, which of them will make it to being Heads, let's say, Head Boy? Will it be one of the mains? Is it going to be any other Exo Member? Or do you suppose the Head Boy will be a whole new character?
Let me know your guess in the comments BEFORE you start this chapter.
 I'll look forward to it!

---

 

"Wait, Mirae! I- I'm pregnant!"

I froze in midair. Slowly I turned back, my eyes bulging out in shock. "WHAT?!"

She rolled her eyes frustratedly. "You heard me."

Suddenly her vomiting, denial for wearing heels or drinking soda, and the lack of concern on the wedding matters just started making sense. How could we have been so oblivious? Why did Mom never notice? Maybe none of us expected such news from her.

My hands fumbled hastily to lock the door and sprinted closer to her. "You're pregnant? But....but how on Earth did that happen?"

She smirked. "Now, I'm supposed to tell you how it works?"

"No, I know, idiot," I groaned. Sighing confusedly, I let myself fall on her bed thinking about the seriousness of the situation. It's hard to believe. "Are you ing crazy? You aren't kidding, right?"

"Do you think I'd joke about this?"

I was still too shocked to form a complete intelligent sentence. "Oh my god." I gasped. "Who's the father?"

She gasped sharply and stared at me with an accusing look in her eyes. "Wha-why.... oh my god, Mirae, please it's Daehyun, of course. Why would you think otherwise?" She asked quizzically.

"Because it's you. If you can get pregnant before marriage then don't be too surprised when I assume that the father of your child and your fiancee isn't the same person." I shot back with an eye roll.

She shook her head. "No it is him."

"When did that even happen?"

Uneasiness covered her face as she fidgeted with the hem of her night gown. "Umm... Daehyun and I went on a vacation last month, do you know?" I nodded. "So... he had proposed me that night and...things got a little out of control..."

I raised a skeptical brow at her. "And when did you find out?"

"Last week."

I shook my head disapprovingly. Honestly, my family will never appreciate such news. I know them, it's not something they'll welcome before she's married. "Just so you know, Mom and Dad are gonna kill you," I stated informatively.

"I know, that's why I'm telling you!" She squeaked.

"So that I could kill you before they do?" I asked confusedly.

She shook her head quickly. "Mirae, I want you to tell them." She scooted closer and reached for my hand but I squatted it away quickly. Oh no, miss.

"Don't even think about that!" I whisper-screamed.

"Please!" She begged nervously.

"Are you insane? I mean, what difference do you think it will make." 

"Look, they love you." Minji was finally successful in grabbing my hand and poured her puppy eyes into mine. This little-- she's being nice because she wants my help, hmph! "And they have this huge level respect for you. You're the daughter that makes them proud. They think that since you're so intelligent and all that, whatever you say or support could never be wrong." I paused for a while.

"I want to tell them tomorrow night, after the party. And I want you to be there and stand up for me, convince them not to kick me out." Minji muttered, eyeing me hopefully.

"They would never change their views just because I say it's fine." I pointed out.

She heaved a frustrated sigh. "Ugh, why don't you get it! They've never liked much about me, my hobbies, my choices but they adore you !" I detected the bitter tinge of jealousy in her tone. "You aren't here but all day long, the only topic is 'Mirae does this, Mirae does that..." Minji drew in a deep breath. "If you support me, at least they'll try to accept it."

Something about her words told me that she has this false image in her mind that Mom and Dad don't love her because she didn't do well in studies or in most of the areas of expertise, but that's ridiculous. Can't she see that in spite of all their dislike about everything she does, they still love her? It's easy to adore a person who is good at something but not so much when they don't excel how you want them. So what, if Mom and Dad talk about me, all parents do when their kids are away. But it doesn't dim their affection for their other children. I didn't know how was I ever going to make her understand this; it's just a whole lot of misunderstanding she believes in. And I suppose this the reason why she never liked me much because she holds me the culprit for stealing our parents' love; bull if you ask me.

"That wouldn't be easy," I muttered.

"I know and neither is hiding it from them." She said convincingly.

"They're gonna be really furious, Minji, seriously where was your conscious all this time?" I wondered.

"Please, you have to take my side on this one."

I contemplated on it for a minute. I can give it a try, right? "I guess I can do that. You're asking for a big favor, you know?"

She beamed, her face broke out into a relieved, genuine smile. "Thank you so much. I owe you."

I scoffed. "Yeah, yeah." We sat in silence for a minute or two. I don't know what she's thinking but I still was too shocked to digest the news. "How does it feel?"

She looked up, surprised before her lips arched in an actual smile. "Great. Just great. It's pure heaven, Mirae."

I wanted to roll my eyes but tried hard not to. "And look where this heaven's got you," I replied pointedly.

Minji chuckled. "You have no idea how tense I've been these days."

But I would have loved to know it.

"Why don't you just marry him quickly. Nobody would know about the baby." I came up with a solution.

She shook her head like I suggested the most improbable way. "I thought about it but he isn't stable now. Neither am I. We just graduated, Mirae. And we need money to live."

I nodded. She kept rambling. "At first I considered abortion but-"

I gasped and hit her shoulder. "I'd kill you if you do that!"

"Ow, I know! That's exactly the same thing Daehyun said so I've forgotten about it. Plus, it's only been weeks and I'm already attached to this little guy, I can't even think of killing it now." She rubbed her stomach gently and I smiled excitedly.

"I can't believe I'm gonna be an aunt!"

---

"Mirae, you better hurry!" Eomma screamed from downstairs.

"Just a minute!" I screamed back. I turned towards the mirror and examined myself one last time. Yeah, I look acceptable. Maroon, sleeveless flared dress that met my knees. Tight in the bodice, flowy from below. I tied my hair in a bun that ended up looking like a bird's nest, I tried to follow a hairdo tutorial but I guess it really was not my thing. My lips were dipped in a coral red color. Okay, it's good enough.

I grabbed my purse and hurried downstairs. It was only Eomma, Appa, and I because Daehyun had already come earlier and picked Minji so they could have a grand entrance at the party together.

"Dear, you have a letter," Appa called as he ruffled in the mailbox looking for the monthly bills. 

"Who is it?" I asked while strapping the heels that I borrowed from Yumi.

"It's from your school." He replied.

I took the letter and examined it carelessly, expecting it to be the book list for the next session when an additional red-colored envelope caught my sight, with the school's emblem indented over it. My eyes widened in surprise as I ripped it off to take a look at the letter inside. My hands were trembling with my eyes running over the text. One look at it and I was over the clouds. The magical feeling of ecstasy filled me up to the brim. It was a huge dream that just got met.

"Eomma! Appa!" I screamed in delight. "I've been made Head Girl!"

The look on their faces was priceless. My mother beamed. "Wow, that's great, honey. I'm so happy for you!"

"Just when I thought this day couldn't get any better," Appa spoke, I was thrilled to spot the proud smile on his face. I immediately winced thinking about the drama that was going to take place tonight. God, help us.

"Ah, our Mirae never ceases to make us feel honored." 

I smiled, blushing before Eomma brought up a pretty valid question.

"Who's Head Boy?" She asked happily.

I hurriedly picked the discarded latter and re-read it. Why didn't I think of it earlier? Head Boy will be a huge part of my duty. I frowned. "They haven't mentioned it."

"Oh well, you'll know soon." Appa encouraged.

I just hope I know him.

-

It has been two hours since this stupid party began and I'm already feeling fatigued to my limits. And I blame these heels, how do people wear them. They're literally killing my feet, I wouldn't be surprised if they're bleeding by the end of the day. It was such a bad idea to wear them here because I have to run in all directions to make arrangements and welcome guests.

The venue of the party was a really sweet, comfortable place. Not too simple. Not too lavish. I was already sick of receiving guests that I have never known or met before. Minji and Daehyun did 'have their spotlight' as she wanted. When they entered, the entire crowd burst into cheers and applause. I was happy she was having a good time compared to what she might face tonight. I also hoped Yumi would show up but she had already texted me saying she couldn't make it.

My woes were washed away when this extremely gorgeous guy settled on the seat before me at the same table, he looked in his thirties. I couldn't help stare at him. He was totally focused on the glass of wine in his hand though he didn't look too drunk. He was wearing--

Where are you?

I groaned at my phone. Baekhyun definitely wasn't a welcome distraction right now.

Don't disturb me. I'm busy.

With what?

Staring at this guy in front of me

Seriously, Mirae.

What??!

He is not that good looking.

How can you even say that?

Because I'm at the table behind you.

I jumped from my seat and looked behind frantically, my eyes widened. There was no sign of him. Did he prank me? Narrowing my eyes, I looked closely at the faces of the people on the tables behind me. I finally spotted him beside Chanyeol. At least they were properly dressed.

They were dying with laughter when they detected my shocked expression. My jaw dropped, befuddled, and my eyes grew in size.  How on Earth...? My arms folded over my chest as I walked over to them.

"You should have told me you were coming!" I accused Chanyeol indignantly.

He just grinned. "I would have missed your priceless expression then, sorry. You managed to look pretty graceful, do you know that?" He commented his eyes surveyed me from my head to toe but still trying to look indifferent.

My lips curled into a smile and I thanked him.

"We wouldn't be staying for long. Chanyeol just mentioned in the morning about this party and I convinced him we should go. You know...free food, hot girls and everything." Baekhyun ended with a wink.

I rolled my eyes humorously. "Take your seats. Has the waiter served you guys yet?" I asked, showing them towards their table to settle down.

"It's okay. We don't need one, let go of the formalities." Chanyeol brushed it off. "Junmyun sent you his apologies that he couldn't make it." I nodded in return.

"You look exquisite, baby girl." Baekhyun teased.

I raised my brows. "Do you even know what that means?"

He frowned. "Yes, Mirae! I'm offended you think I wouldn't have a good vocabulary when it comes to flirting!"

"Oh right, sorry for underestimating you." I grinned.

Time went by really fast after they showed up and I started having actual fun for once. I'd just realized that it hasn't been that .long since I saw them last yet it felt like ages. I had to plead to them not to throw any prank or show their wild, immature sides. If they mess up, I'm the one who will be humiliated, not to mention that my sister wouldn't have hesitated to chop my head off for ruining her day. As expected, Chanyeol remained sensible, he was good at managing my reputation whereas Baekhyun acted like Baekhyun, the guy had already danced with several girls, irrespective of their ages. 

It was all good fun until Baekhyun went straight up to my Mom and flirted with her right in front of my Dad. And to my surprise, they didn't even mind! That's just-- unacceptable. I guess old ladies are hopeless for someone to tell them that they're 'totally ravishing and stunning' or that they're 'so pretty they don't need to go to a salon'. Bull. About my father...well I'm still questioning where his dignity and self-esteem got dumped.

"Mirae!" A breathless Baekhyun called me after making his rounds in a very group of ladies he came across.

"Hmm?" I murmured absentmindedly while massaging my temples, the music was hurting my head.

"Were you adopted?"

My gaze lashed up at him and I lifted an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

He pointed to someone behind him. "You have quite a collection of cousins back there, each as hot and talkative as the next. Literally my type."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, they'd attract you."

He grinned devilishly. "Exactly. So you sure you weren't picked from the street or something? Because I don't believe someone as boring and serious such as yourself could be born in this family."

I glared at him. "I really really hate you, you know."

"Aww. I love you too." Baekhyun chuckled.

"Just get lost."

As he scurried away, I surveyed over the area to look for his partner-in-crime because you can't these boys too much. I surprisingly found him walking beside my Dad in a little space away from the dining area. They seemed to be chatting over something quite enthusiastically. I could tell by the sparkle in my Dad's eyes whenever he was talking about something he was passionate about. Curiously, I walked over to them and found them discussing astronomy. And I swear, that is my father's favorite topic. He can go on and on for hours on it and never get bored.

They broke their conversation thankfully soon when someone called my father, congratulating him. I turned to Chanyeol. "Are you really interested in Astronomy or were you just tricking him?"

His eyes widened in surprise. "No, I do like it."

"You never mentioned."

He smirked. "There's also a lot more stuff that I like and haven't mentioned."

I eyed him suspiciously. He determinedly looked back in my eyes. I examined hard to detect any weird expression on his face but he just smiled and brushed away things like he hadn't said anything. I think his words will keep reeling in my mind the whole vacation.

"I am instructed to wear glasses." He announced with a scowl, breaking the awkward silence as we walked alongside one another in the field.

"What? Why?" I asked startled.

"Why do you think people wear glasses?"

"Weak eyesight?" I rolled my eyes.

"Exactly. How clever of you." He patted my head.

"No, but seriously, when did that happen?"

He sighed. "I got my eyes checked because I was having difficulty reading and my doctor says that it's a possibility if my eyesight worsens."

"Oh, umm...Don't worry. Maybe you won't look so bad." I tried to assure him.

"What are you talking about? I WILL look good, I know that." Chanyeol smirked.

I shook my head, smiling at his over-confidence.

"Congratulations on your Head Girl-ship, by the way." He beamed at me. "I always knew you'd make it."

I turned to him with an astonished smile. I had just found out this morning and I don't remember telling anyone. "Thanks but how did you know?"

Chanyeol shrugged. "I assumed you'd be."

"Oh, and you wouldn't happen to know who's Head Boy, would you?" I questioned.

"It's not Junymun if that's what you're asking." He replied pleasantly.

I groaned loudly. "Damn, I was sure it would be him! It better not be someone horrible."

"For instance, Seo Minhyuk." He suggested with a mischievous grin creeping on his face. Aish he was never going to stop teasing me about him. I wish I'd never told him about my embarrassing first kiss.

I hit his shoulder and he doubled with laughter. "I promise I'll jump off the cliff if it's him."

"I'll assist you in finding one." 

-

The guys didn't stick around for long after that. Although I was wishing the party would just end soon because I was exhausted, yet when it did, I immediately started regretting it on my way back home. Minji and I had decided to bring it up as soon as possible so they could have more time to digest it.

My parents were peacefully sitting in the living room talking about the event with happy smiles. I gulped, feeling scared for my sister. She threw me a worried glance as we stood by the door. "Should I just go in?" She whispered.

"Yeah, but don't throw it on them as you did with me," I told her. "Go slow."

Minji entered the room, taking the couch beside the fireplace, I did the same. We nervously talked to my parents about the normal things that happened at the engagement party. After a good ten minutes, I nudged her to say it already. 

"Mom... Dad?" She called timidly. "I--I have been meaning to tell you guys something." Minji looked down on her lap.

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"I'm expecting a baby." I heard Mom gasp in shock. 

They were off the wall when she told them in a little more detail. Mom started freaking out, her eyes wide in fear as she blurted out things that didn't make sense. "How could you not be careful Minji? Are you a child, don't you know about this stuff? This is--this is so-- oh my god what is everyone going to say! And why didn't you tell me before?"

Appa stayed dangerously quiet which trust me is more nerve-wracking. All signs of a smile had wiped from his face as he glared at Minji, his lips pressed thin. Everybody tells me that I got my anger from him. God, I sure hope he wouldn't explode at unnie. I stood up and went to his side, placing my hands on his shoulders and rubbed circles. "Why aren't you speaking, Dad?"

A strangled noise emitted from his throat. "Have you gone crazy?" His tone was louder as he addressed unnie. "You keep making things difficult for us. We trusted you to be cautious. You're intent on making our life hell! Never have you made us feel proud--"

"Appa!" I stopped him because Minji unnie looked close to bursting into tears. "Don't say things like that! She-she's already nervous. It's not good for her. Daehyun Oppa knows, and he is really happy about it too." He shifted in his seat to take a look at me. It was time to fulfill my promise so I spoke up for her as much as I could.

"How could you support this? You would never do something like this, Mirae." He fixed me with a hard stare.

I sighed. True though. "We're different people, Dad. Don't compare us." I wish my parents hadn't done it in the first place. Maybe things wouldn't have gotten out of hand between Minji and me.

I continued. "They want to welcome the baby happily and get married when he gets a decent job which I'm sure will happen sometime this year. Wouldn't it have been worse if he didn't accept it? Come on. Let's not make this a big deal."

They were amazed at the fact that I was supporting her in this and I think that's the only reason why they cooled off quicker than I thought was possible maybe because they were secretly happy for us. Well, either way, She was grateful to me and I finally had the upper hand in this one. 
And that's all I wanted.

-

I can't explain the fluttering in my stomach. As I dragged my suitcases towards the white KTX train, I couldn't help but feel strange. We were finally entering the final year of high school. I was finally made Head Girl with a whole new set of responsibilities. This year seemed to have such a promising state. I stopped when I recognized a familiar, messy-haired head off to my right. To my surprise, my stomach turned over at the sight. 

Wait, I'm nervous about seeing Chanyeol? What is wrong with you, Mirae? Before I could ponder over this oddity further, he glanced over, and spotting me, and called, "Hey! Mirae!"

I stopped dead in my tracks when my eyes first laid on him. He, as expected, was supporting a set of black rectangle glasses on the bridge of his nose. It provided a perfect mix of professional and geek chic. I waved over to him where currently him, Baekhyun, and Junmyun were loitering near the train. As I approached the three of them, I abandoned my hold on my luggage cart and before I could think too much about it, I engulfed Chanyeol in a quick hug, standing on my toes. His eyebrows were raised slightly in surprise as I pulled back but he didn't say anything. Now feeling awkward, I quickly turned to Baekhyun and Junmyun who were smirking at us but grabbed me up in a hug anyhow. "Nice glasses," I commented.

He bowed deeply and tipped an invisible hat.

 "How were your summers?"

"Fine," Baekhyun replied. "Too short, though."

I nodded, couldn't agree more. "Two months, that's it." Junmyun scowled. I noticed that he seemed healthier. I hope he's doing well.

"You guys didn't happen to arrive here by a certain motorcycle, did you?" I inquired carefully.

Baekhyun sighed dejectedly. "Alas, no, we didn't."

"Have you ridden on it?" I asked Junmyun hoping to get an 'accurate' picture of it's safety because he was the only one sane in the three.

He shook his head. "No, they hadn't bought it when I was visiting Chanyeol's place." He replied, sounding disappointed.

Am I the only one who sees potential disaster written all over it? Probably. 

Chanyeol turned to me. "Oh, I remember we have a story to tell you." He stated, and I did not miss the mischievous glance he shot at his best friend.

And I knew, in that instant, it was connected with the cursed motorbike.

"Right, I think you might want to sit down, grab some popcorn..." Chanyeol quickly clasped my suitcase carrying it effortlessly to an empty compartment in the train which wasn't hard to find since we had reached earlier.

As the four of us settled, Chanyeol leaned forward in his seat and began with a spooky tone, "It was a dark and stormy night..."

"No, it wasn't." Baekhyun and I said in unison.

"Okay fine, but it was dark because obviously, it was night and-"

"You're taking too long, I'm taking over." Baekhyun cut in. "So we were--"

 But whatever this incident was about, I could not find out because the compartment door banged open revealing a very irate Yumi.

"Oh, I see I've been replaced." She huffed, crossing her arms on her chest glaring down at the four of us.

Chanyeol grinned at her. "'Course not, Yumi," he said, pulling me to my feet and pushing me towards her. "Mirae just got here early and was forced to slum it with us until-"

"Excuse me," Baekhyun intruded indignantly. "Slum it with you maybe, but not-"

"Now, now boys." I spoke with a wry smile. "you've already fought over a girl and we all know how well that went."

Chanyeol's jaw dropped and he pretended to be shocked. "Just for that, I'm kicking you out, Mirae." He slammed the compartment door shut on my face. This dramatic dude.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the smile that curved on my lips as I turned to Yumi, joining my hands with her. God, I've missed her so much! "Hey, you're not mad at me, are you?"

She sighed dramatically. "I guess not." Then her face lit up. "I can't believe about your sister's pregnancy!" She squealed as we walked down the passage in the train, looking for a compartment. Students were starting to fill in now.

"I know!" I nodded. "But I guess, we shouldn't be so surprised...it is her after all."

She laughed. "Exactly. I wish I was there to mock her!"

I rolled my eyes. "She would have kicked you out in that instant."

 She grinned. "Oh, and congratulation on the Head-Girl thing! Chanyeol told me over the summers. I'm so happy, you've always wanted that."

 "Thanks." I hugged her. "I was really hoping Junmyun would be Head Boy, you know. I get off with that guy so well. I'm used to working with him."

"That's okay." She replied. "Thought, it's far more amusing that-"

"Mirae!"

I spun around to find Jinyoung hurrying towards me at a little distance. Realizing that I'd cut Yumi, I turned to her. "What were you saying?"

She shook her head. "Nothing important. I'll go find us a compartment, okay?"

"You're the best," I told her with a grateful smile.

"I know." She stuck out her tongue.

As she walked forward, I was momentarily surprised when Jinyoung grabbed me up in a hug from behind. I squealed in amusement. He set me back on the ground and gave me a long kiss of greeting. I melted into his touch.

"Missed you." He said as we broke apart, his warm breath fanning on my face. My heart skipped a beat noticing the shine in his almond-shaped eyes.

I raised my eyebrows. "I can see that." Then I added with a grin. "I missed you too."

We entered his compartment so that he could place his luggage. "I have something for you." He announced, with an excited smile. "What?"

Jinyoung made me sit on the leather seat, shuffling in his pocket, and pulled out a paper bag. He was smiling from ear to ear and seeing just that made my heart flutter. He never ceases to make me feel good. "I--uh-- I wanted to give it to when we got back but I just can't wait!"

I giggled, nodding my head so he'll go ahead. He handed me the paper bag he was holding. I noticed his ears going red. How cute. He's nervous!

I unwrapped the foldings and brought out a small box. With curiosity taking over me, I threw him a glance before opening it. Inside sat a beautiful, red bracelet. It had an intricate meshwork of gleaming beads. I gasped in amazement. Jinyoung gazed at me with anticipation. "I bought this for you when I went to Ulsan. Do you like it?"

I quickly put it on and leaned in, kissing him fully on the mouth giving him my answer, I felt him smile. Breaking apart, I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Thank you, thank you so much! I love it."

I wouldn't have imagined that he thought so much about me over the holidays, that he felt the need that I should have something given by him, a special gift. Can I be any luckier to have a boyfriend like this?

I glanced out at the window as we sat by side and saw many pairs of parents waving back at their children and I suddenly felt sad. An uneasy feeling erupted in my gut. Something was bugging me but I couldn't seem to pinpoint it.

"You all right?" Jinyoung asked.

I shook my head slightly and smiled at him. "Yeah...I guess it's just starting to hit me that it's our last year here."

"Well, don't panic now. You've got an entire year to figure out that feeling." He pointed out. 

"True." I nodded.

"All you need to do is make the most of your time here memorable." He winked. I lifted my brows at his suggestion.

"If only Madame Jung wasn't such a strict Head of our group, life would be easier..." Jinyoung sighed.

There it was again. The weird feeling. I frowned feeling like I'm forgetting something important. I ran over his words again silently and shot up from my seat, causing Jinyoung to raise his eyebrows in surprise. "I have to go!" I announced, springing up. ", I have a Head meeting to attend!" How could I forget that the Heads meet with the prefects to go over the duties and other responsibilities?

"A Head-" He muttered in confusion before his face shone in comprehension. "Oh, you're Head Girl? Why didn't you say so straight away?"

"I well...I don't know." I said absent-mindedly taking my badge out of my pocket and fumbling it with my shirt hastily. "I didn't tell anyone because I thought it will come off as bragging. I forgot you didn't know!"

"Here." He took the badge from my jittery hands clasped it to my shirt.

"Thanks," I smiled.

He looked up and smiled crookedly. "I daresay, I'll have to behave myself this year, wouldn't I?"

I answered solemnly. "Definitely."

"And what will you do if I don't." His hands s up on my waist but I had to wriggle myself free.

"I'll have to give you punishment."

"Yeah?"

"Seriously, I have to go. I'm running late." I pulled away. "Do me a favor? Tell Yumi I'm sorry for ditching her!"

Jinyoung sighed in disappointment. "Fine."

I planted a quick kiss on his cheek. "I'll be back soon!"

I dodged a couple of juniors showing off their muscles which hardly existed and a group of girls chatting too loudly. Some freshmen were hand wrestling in the corridor. Well, I couldn't just hand out punishments just yet and tell them to get back in their compartments. I practically raced toward the first compartment of the train, the one where Junmyun and I had received our Prefect duties for last year. Okay, now this is a new start, I thought as I halted, Kang Mirae, with a new and better position. Her dream position. Taking a deep breath, I ran my hands over my ponytail consciously and slipped open the door, and stopped dead in my tracks. 

Chanyeol was lounging in one of the empty seats. His legs were propped up on the opposite seat in a casual manner, hands behind his head.

A grin jumped to his lips when he saw me, sitting up a little straighter and crossed his arms. "You're late, madame -- not a very auspicious start to your Headship."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Oh, shut up. I'm still the first one here. And what are you doing here anyway? Can't stay away from me?" I cringed at my last words and how weird they sounded coming from my mouth. Last year, I was complaining about the same thing.

"Ah! Don't flatter yourself. You know, I wouldn't be here if I didn't have to."

I frowned. "What do yo-" But I stopped abruptly when Chanyeol shifted in his seat and a ray of sunlight shone flashed off a golden badge on his chest.

I gasped, taking a step back. "No way." I cried out bluntly. His grin morphed into a smirk as my face split up in a disbelieving smile. "You--You're joking, right? I...I mean this is some sort of prank you all thought of..."

"Hey, now!" Chanyeol cried out indignantly. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"That; Madame Jung, the most brilliant and sensible discipline administrator ever, would never make you Head Boy." I cleared my point.

 Instead of being offended, he wrinkled his nose, nodding along. "Yeah, I know...that's what I thought at first too. Then I thought maybe Baekhyun had written that letter as a joke. But he had looked so shocked when I told him. He still laughs at me every time he looks at that badge." He lamented resentfully.

After a few minutes, I recovered enough to sit down and copied his posture. This is really unbelievable. Having Chanyeol as Head Boy wasn't even my wildest guess! Plus is he stepping down as Football captain? Or else, it'd be too much responsibility on his shoulders. 

"I don't have much choice but to accept you're my partner. All I've got to say is that you're very lucky and that we made so much progress last year, or I might have thrown you out the window already." I stated with a serious expression.

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. "Lucky, indeed. So where shall we start?"

"I don't know. I've never been Head Girl before." I replied cheekily.

"Well, I think we should start with your attitude." He answered seriously, adjusting his glasses.

I nudged at him with my foot. "I'm just waiting for you to mess up on a grander scale."

"It's good to know that I have your complete confidence and support." Sarcasm dripped from his tone.

I took out a new pocket notebook I'd bought before coming here to keep notes regarding my duties and other Head stuff. "No problem. I suppose we've got to make prefect patrolling schedules before we-"

"Sorry, but could we just go over what this position really means?" He interrupted pointing at his badge. "What is actually expected of a Head Boy?"

I frowned at him. "Didn't you read the letter? Everything was written there."

"Come on, Mirae, remember who you're talking to. Plus, that thing was bloody long."

I sighed. "You do have to take this position seriously, you know. I do think you'll be good at this but it depends on--"

Chanyeol grinned. "There's the support I was looking for. And I will try my best with the responsibility thing, but I swear, with Baekhyun taunting me every five minutes-"

"At least you'll have your own room."

He appeared not to hear me. "It will take time to get used--- What?"

I smiled slightly. "You get your own single room, we both do actually," I said slowly. "Away from the dorms."

"Wait, what?"

I laughed. "That was one of the things in that 'bloody long' letter. Head Girl and Head Boy have single rooms."

"What, we'll share?!"

I hit his knee. "No! I said separate rooms, Chanyeol!"

"Oh sorry, I missed that!" He stared at me for a minute and smiled mischievously. "Oh, I can think of many uses for a separate room..."

"Please spare me the details," I muttered dryly. Knowing him, I knew what unholy missions he might be suggesting.  "Anyways, we should start with deciding dates for free weekends--"

"So, you finally agreed to go out with me, sweetie?" He smirked.

I blinked, shocked at his words. Then I glared at him. "I meant scheduling free weekends to visit the town. I...I can't believe you asked me out again!"

Chanyeol laughed. "Come on, where's your sense of nostalgia?"

"I thought you said you will try your best-"

"Okay, okay. So scheduling visits whenever we want is another bonus."

"But we have to run them by Madame Jung first." I busted his little bubble.

"Ahh." He sighed sadly, clutching his heart.

"We'll be the first ones to know about every holiday or any new decision in the staff arrangements, we will attend most of the admin meetings. Any educational or recreatinal trips will be led by us." I added. "And we have to do rounds every night."

Sitting up straighter immediately, he repeated in disbelief. "Every night?" 

"Except Sunday." I nodded.

"How long?"

"Just two hours."

"Just-- oh now I understand why you would've thrown me out the window. The idea of being forced into my company for so long." He groaned and continued ranting. "Dear god! That's gonna be so boring. My poor legs. But I'd have you to brighten up my time, buttercup."

I looked at him. "What Buttercup?"

"That's your new pet name." 

I huffed loudly. "Ughh, that's the most stupid name ever. Besides, it annoys me."

He smirked. "Even better."

I rolled my eyes. "You're exaggerating." 

Ignoring me, he asked. "But didn't you used to do rounds with Junmyun? What about him?"

I shook my head. He really knows nothing about Headship but I guess it makes sense because it never was something he desired to be. "Junmyun will continue doing that with another prefect. I'm promoted as Head Girl and I do the round with my fellow Head."

"Ahh...so, what next?"

"Oh, you mean our duties?"

"No, no that part is just depressing me, I mean what others perks?"

I rolled my eyes but answered him. "Well, let's see...you could use the prefect's bathroom, I know that doesn't sound so cool but wait till you see it. It's pretty amazing."

"Maybe you could show it to me sometime." He said with a wicked grin.

"Would you stop that? What happened to not  flirting with me and asking me out every five minutes?" I demanded him as I leaned forward to punch his stomach while fighting a smile.

"All right. I just figured that since we're such good friends and all, I could do it again without the risk of being slapped into the next century." He smiled. "I promise I wouldn't do it often. Or around Jinyoung."

I just glared at him. "I don't see why you need to do it at all." I feel like both of us are stepping over a dangerous territory but the fact that frightened me the most was that I didn't mind it so much.

I decided to change the subject. "You lied to me, by the way."

Chanyeol pretended to be shocked. "Never!"

"Yes, you did." I insisted. "I asked you if you knew who was Head Boy and you said you didn't!"

He countered. "Now, you're remembering it wrong. I exactly quoted, 'It's not Junymun if that's what you're asking', and you didn't ask further so..." He flashed me a triumphant smile.

"You really are impossible, you know?"

"That's why we're going to have so much fun this year!"

"Oh god, help me."

---

Sorry for the long wait!
Besides, that Chanyol-wearing-glasses thing is actually real. He used to wear glasses in high school before debut, but had laser surgery done during the training era, in case you didn't know already which I'm sure you did!

AND OMG....!!! King Kai literally left us befuddled. I love his album! What's your fav track?