Chapter 6

It's Always You

DOUBLE UPDATE!

------

I strolled in the corridors looking around for Junmyun because I needed to talk to him about the Prefect's schedule. Where the hell is that guy? Where does he keep disappearing to?

Football season had started and everyone was excited for the first match that our team was supposed to play with a very strong rival: Jung Academy. I don't know much about our team. Neither am I interested in it.

I was turning left from a corridor when I froze. My feet stopped in mid-air, spotting someone's back that I easily recognized. Sehun. He almost didn't look like someone who used to be associated with me. His ripped jeans, black jacket, the tattoo on his wrist, and especially the cigarette in his hand made him look like someone from a gang. I stared at him for a few minutes when suddenly the smoke surrounding him reached me and I coughed it out. He instantly turned around. And I put my confident cover back on. 

"That's not allowed. And you know that, Oh Sehun." I commanded.

He smirked and lowered his hand. I walked closer to him.

"I said, throw that away. Why are you standing here, anyway?" I said with a steely look, not giving away that seeing him like this pained me.

He ignored me and continued. " I need to talk to you." 

"I wouldn't listen to single a word that you have to say until you throw that cigarette AWAY!" I raised my voice and nodded my head towards the cigarette. He sighed and put out his cigarette, stuffing it in his pocket with an annoyed look.

"You already know that it's not allowed in the corridors. Why the he-" I was about to go on and on but he interrupted.

"Cut out the lecture. Don't you have anything else to do?" He rolled his eyes and snapped at me.

I froze and said stubbornly: "Fine". He was clearly in a bad mood about something or I know he wouldn't say that to me. But then it's the same guy who called me that. His next words told me the reason.

"Why are you hanging out with those guys? I've seen you chatting with them. Those three idiots who made my teenage hell! I thought we had bonded over hating them forever!" He shot at me angrily. His eyes were burning with complaints and accusations.

"Who gave you the right to control my life? I asked him in a calm but dangerous voice. This situation painfully reminded me of the time when we both were in opposite places. But now the tables had turned.

"Have you forgotten what they did to me? How much they have tortured me?" He asked me.

"I think you it's you who is forgetting something, Sehun. If I have no control over your life, If my opinion about your friends doesn't matter enough to you, then the same goes for me." I sighed loudly and continued. "I asked you a thousand times not to hang out with those guys. Now look what they've made you". I said pointing my head towards the cigarette in his pocket. "I will talk to whoever I want to, disregardful of any history you have with them."

"Oh so, have you too fallen for him, have you? That Park Chanyeol!" He tauntingly referred to him with spite.

"This has nothing to do with you. Now if you don't mind, Please leave the corridor and go back to your common room." I ordered him.

 And before he could say another word, I walked away. I started breathing heavily. I had visited his father last weekend by myself. He wasn't in a good condition. I wonder how disappointed he would be if he saw Sehun like this.

------------

The following Thursday marked the first football match of the semester. Classes were off and excitement was in the air during breakfast, although this was just like any other day for me. Everyone was encouraging our team who had already changed in their uniforms. I must say, maroon shirts and maroon shorts with our Golden logo really make all the players look strong and bold. Especially that one person, who was surrounded by a dozen girls swooning over his long, slender legs and charms. But he, himself, was busy with his cheerleader girlfriend who was wearing the shortest skirt possible.

When I look at Chanyeol closely sometimes, especially in these situations when he is looking at his best and overflowing with talent, I think I sort of understand why Sehun dislikes him so much. It's not just because Chanyeol is the dominant one who loves to bully Sehun. No, There's more to it. Chanyeol is everything Sehun ever wanted to be. Ever since we were kids, Sehun wished to be multi-talented. He wanted to ace every exam. He wanted girls to surround him and praise him every single minute. In short, he wanted attention that he never even got at home. And Chanyeol was someone who had it all.

"Come on. Mirae, you have to go to at least one of our school matches before we graduate." Yumi pleaded to me.

"This isn't the last match. I can go some other time." I said back.

"That's what you always say. What else are you going to do?" She asked me.

"I'll probably catch up on some assignment," I stated simply. My reply caused her to gasp in surprise.

"Oh my god! That's just so-"

"Sad?" Baekhyun said from behind. I narrowed my eyes in annoyance and turned to see Chanyeol and Baekhyun smirking at me.

"How is it that you haven't even been to a single match?" Chanyeol asked.

"I just don't like football, all right?" I said defensively.

"I can explain the rules if that's what bothers you." Baekhyun offered.

"Oh no, no. I know the rules. I am sure they aren't that difficult to understand, or else how would you two be able to play it?" I shot back and Yumi burst into laughter. Chanyeol's frown deepened.

Yoori called them from behind as the team was leaving for the pitch. "Oppa, are you coming?"

"Yeah, in a second," Chanyeol told her and then turned to me.

"Just because you're rubbish at something, Mirae, doesn't mean you can't enjoy watching other people do it." And with that, he left the hall with his teammates and the cheerleading group.

I was so utterly insulted that I couldn't even formulate a reply. 

I turned to Yumi and said, "Well, now, I'm definitely not going."

--------------

I spent more than 2 hours on my homework. And surprisingly, it got completed much quicker in the silence with no one else in the common room. After some solid work, I decided that I needed a break. I stretched, yawned, and jumped out of the common room, happy because I was finally free. I wandered in the corridors with no particular destination in my mind. Woah, This place is so creepy with no one else.

 I was caught up in my thoughts when I heard some hushed whispers from a nearby classroom. I almost jumped out of my skin. Who is there? I didn't know there was someone else who also didn't like football... I cautiously neared the half-closed door of the classroom. I held my breath and peeked in. There were at least 3 people. And one that I recognized too well.

"- if I want to do it?" Sehun asked.

"What do you mean by 'if'?" His friend shot back harshly and my heart started beating faster. I don't know if it's right to eavesdrop but I was curious.

"I'm not sure if I'm up for it, yet," Sehun said back. His friend stepped closer and gave him a deathly glare. He was now closer to the door and I could hear better.

"You can't back out now, You don't have an option." He demanded.

"What the hell do you-" Sehun was speaking in a worried tone when his friend stopped him with his hand and looked towards the door. "Someone's outside." I gasped. I was just about to turn back when the door was kicked open and they spotted me. His friend grabbed my hand and neared in.

"What did you hear!??" he screamed at me. My heart was pounding in my chest and I cursed at my curiosity for landing me in such a nasty spot.

"Nothing." I lied hesitantly. Sehun looked at me with wide eyes and he, himself, looked unsure what to do. He looked pretty surprised to see me. 

"You dirty, little liar, tell me what did you hear?" His friend repeated slowly and dangerously. I tried to stay calm but his grip was really hurting my hand. I tried to wriggle my hand out but it wasn't working. I clenched my teeth and continued my efforts to remove his hand.

"I didn't hear anything, please let go of my hand. You're hurting me." I pleaded. I felt so helpless and weak. I glanced at Sehun for help and he frowned.

"Leave her," Sehun said in a commanding tone.

"Oh please, she deserves it." His friend scoffed.

"I swear I didn't hear anything. If you don't let me go right now, I promise I'll report you to-" He gripped my hand so tight that I was unable to complete my threat. Sehun, who had noticed the pain in my eyes, pulled his friend back. 

"Didn't you hear me? Let her go." He said with a grim expression. His friend shot me a dirty look and slowly let my hand go. I started rubbing it so the blood would circulate again. The other guys left but Sehun stood there watching me and then said:

"You shouldn't be sneaking. You'll regret-"

"I shouldn't be? You're the one having secret meetings brewing God-knows-what dangerous plans when the whole school is outside and you're saying-" the sound of footsteps stopped me. 

Seems like the match had ended. Students started filling in the corridors and judging by everyone's happy expressions, it was clear that we had won. Sehun quickly went back to his company and I just stood there, lost and confused at what had happened. All of my happy cheerful mood was replaced with anger and pain.

Chanyeol was at the head of the crowd, grinning from ear to ear. I wonder how he spotted me in the crowd. But then, I always knew he had some radar to detect me. As he caught up with Sehun's retreating figure, he frowned. Then his gaze shifted towards me and he said in Yoori's ear: 'I'll catch up with you in a minute.' She looked at me and sighed in frustration and nodded. He made his way towards where I was standing.

"Did something hap - Are you okay?" Chanyeol asked while his eyes traveled to the red marks on my wrist that I was trying to hide.

To my horror, tears started to prick inside my eyes. "I'm okay." I replied shortly and turned to go after the chattering crowds.

"Well, you don't seem fine." He hurried after me.

"And it's none of your business," I said back, blinking away the tears. I know I was being harsh but...I was sick of trying to be nice to everyone.

"Geez, no need to be so polite." He shot back. "Someone is trying to be nice and you're-"

"Just stop it, Chanyeol, please," I whispered. I had no energy left to scream at him and create a scene. I was trying hard not to burst into tears in front of him.

He stared at me for a minute. There were many emotions flickering in his brown eyes so quickly that I couldn't even make them out. He sighed defeatedly and looked down at his feet. He looked like someone who lost a battle when in reality he just won a match. He raised his head and said:

"You're not even going to try, are you?" 

"What?" I asked, frowning.

But he just brushed past me and disappeared around the corner. What am I not trying? If anything, he had left me more confused. I returned to the common room to find the after-match party in full swing. I didn't feel like partying, especially not today. And seems like neither did Chanyeol: He, also, did not show up for the rest of the day.

---------------

"Okay, Mirae you have to tell me what happened on Saturday," Yumi asked me as she sipped her smoothie. 

We were lazing on the plush seats in the corner of Coffee Corner, a cafe situated near our campus. Students were sometimes allowed to visit the shops and restaurants around here. Only on weekends and this Sunday, three days after the match, we were unleashed to roam around the city. I hadn't yet told her of that day and she remained patient. She had obviously noticed that something was off but waited until now to ask me.

I sighed and reluctantly told her everything because I owed her an explanation. She was as shocked as I was.

"What do you think they were talking about?" She asked me, her eyes wide.

"No idea. Nothing good, I'm sure." I shrugged.

"Hmm... You were a little rude to Chanyeol though." 

"Well, it wasn't any of his business. But his words still confuse me." I said back and sighed. It's funny how people seeming not to care about something often make you realize that they actually do care for you, showing their passion and anger.

"I think...I  know what he meant. But it's for you to figure out." She replied with a spooky expression. I rolled my eyes.

We spotted Andrew enter the cafe and we waved him over to our table. He grinned at us, kissed Yumi's cheek, and settled beside her.

"Hello ladies!" He greeted with his smile."God, it feels so good to be out of school."

"It sure does," Yumi replied with a smile.

"It's been so overwhelming with the football practices, and it's only 2 months past the new semester, I can't even remember the date today!" He exclaimed.

"Oh come on, it mustn't be that bad," I said, knitting my eyebrows.

"You don't know. It really is. Being one of the best football teams has its shortcomings too." He said proudly and I just shrugged back.

"Anyways," Yumi said pointedly. "We didn't come here to talk about school or anything related to-"

"I completely agree." Chanyeol appeared from behind me grinning at each of us. I looked up onto his face in annoyance. Why does he have to follow us everywhere?

"What are you doing?" I snapped sharply.

"Um...making polite conversation?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

"Well then, maybe you've mistaken me as someone who cares what you have to say." I shot back.

"There are other people on this table too. And I'm sure you can recall, that I've told you not everything I do has to involve you." He said with a sneer.

"Fine. See you later." I coolly said to Yumi and Andrew and left the table.

"Wow someone's being a real pain in-" Chanyeol was saying as I pushed past him.

"Mirae, stop!" Yumi exclaimed but she got no reply. I was just about to exit the cafe when someone else called me. I looked around to see and spotted Junmyun calling me over at his table with Baekhyun and Yoori having a glaring contest.

"Yes?" I asked as I walked towards him.

"Listen, I have to go home for tonight and we have rounds together. If you could cover-up-"

"Oh of course. It wouldn't be a bother. How's your mother now?" I asked anxiously. I've always complained to him about my issues with my sister but never asked him to share his problems too. I felt guilty about not asking him earlier.

"Uhh-what?"His brows knitted.

"I was told that your mother is ill," I said in confusion. He stayed silent for a minute but then replied.

"Oh yeah. Umm...she's better but she still needs nursing. Thanks for covering up for me. Sorry for the late notice." He said hesitantly not quite meeting my eyes.

"No problem at all." I smiled at him.

"If you didn't want to deal with me then you shouldn't have come to my friend's table, Miss." I heard a smug voice from behind and instantly grimaced.

"I was just leaving," I said in Chanyeol's face that was pleasantly smiling and turned around at my heels marching out of the cafe with Yumi and Andrew at my tail.

"What the hell is your problem? Why didn't you wait for us?" She exclaimed angrily.

"I'm sorry. I just didn't want to deal with Chanyeol." I mumbled once we were outside. Andrew had probably sensed that we both were pissed off so he went to talk to some friends that passed by.

"Do you ever want to deal with him? This is what he probably meant, I think that is what you are never going to try!" She burst out. Her words shut me up and I started thinking if it was true. Did he really mean that?

"Just right now- he was having a friendly chat with us, no flirting, no silly jokes, no arrogance, and you ran away from him like you're allergic to him! Then that day after the match! He was concerned and you snapped at him." She stopped to breathe a little and I just stood there, ashamed.

"You know what? I no longer think that you have a crush on him. I think that he's finally turned into a decent and mature person and you've just realized it but you don't know how to accept that!" She shouted at me, red with anger and her words stunned me into silence. I sighed and was about to open my mouth but thankfully I was saved by a clap of thunder and rain that was followed by it. We ran under the shed outside a small restaurant

"Wow, that came up fast," Yumi said. "Look I'm sorry at yelling at you out of the blue but you seriously need to set your mind right." I nodded at her still pondering on her words. They seemed to hit a nerve. Why do her words feel so true?  Was it really like that? Am I the one who's wrong?

The rain was pouring in torrents and people were hurrying under the roofs but we just stayed under the shed hoping that it would stop raining. Soon enough, after 15 minutes or so, it ended. Everything was dripping wet. I brushed off the water the few water droplets that had landed on me.

Both of us soon set off to find Andrew. We had just turned from the corner of the street when we spotted Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Junmyun having a mud fight, slinging handfuls of black mud. All three of them were yelling as the mud hit them and laughing at each other's terribly funny appearances. There was a group of spectators, girls mostly, watching them with anticipation. I rolled my eyes at this childish act and moved forward.

"Don't they have anything bett-" I was innocently commenting on the trio's choice of activity when a whole mass of mud hit me square in the face. I stumbled backward spitting the mud out, wiping it off from my eyes. A portion of it had stuck in my hair. One look at my face could tell how ready I was to kill them when they doubled with laughter as they saw who was the target of Chanyeol's latest shot.

 "Is that what you call a mature person?" I hissed at Yumi and she gasped apologetically.

I straightened and whipped angrily at them. "Park Chanyeol! You are in so much trouble!!!" I yelled so loud, I'm sure the whole town could hear.

My fury was building at the sight of his proud, grinning face. He didn't even attempt to apologize and laughed at my muddy face like I just told him a joke. This was enough humiliation for me. I was glaring at him so intensely that sparks were probably coming out of my eyesI bent downwards, grabbed a handful of mud, and shoved it right in his chest. Either I am very strong or he was already off-balance from laughing because he landed his right beside my feet on the huge pile of mud, still enveloped in an unending fit of laughter. His girlfriend shrieked in disgust and bent to help him up.

I spun furiously back at Yumi and Andrew, both of them giving me suspicious smiles. Rolling my eyes, I turned to Yumi I scoffed,

"Huh, decent person, my !!!"

---

Hope you guys liked this chapter! I try my best :D

Plus, I know there are many grammatical mistakes here. Please feel free to point out! 

And don't hesitate to leave me your feedback, I'd always love to know what you're thinking about this book! :D