Chapter 19

It's Always You

                                                     

 

                                                                            

A friend and loyal reader of mine from Wattpad made this for me. Ignore the 'Kpoptivated' part that used to be my username a long time ago and I'm just too lazy to crop it. Sorry for the long delay but I had my reasons, hope you enjoy!

 

I had laid my first step in the common room that night when I spotted Jinyoung sitting with his classmates at a corner. I stopped. We were still avoiding each other and I didn't want to be anywhere he was. I know, what happened between us in the morning partially had my fault and I apologized for it. But he shouldn't have a say in who I hang out with, nobody should. I offered him to accompany me, didn't I? It was his choice to stay back and now he's going to accuse me of not spending enough time with him? He's sour because I spent time with Chanyeol and it's a ridiculous thing to be angry about. I was about to turn around and go back somewhere peaceful, intent on ignoring Jinyoung when I heard someone call me.

"Mirae! Hey, wait a minute!"

I noticed Chanyeol, bearing a wide smile, waving his hands wildly in the air, summoning me closer. My eyes automatically flew to Jinyoung who was watching us silently, he must have heard Chanyeol call me. Though the moment our eyes met, his lips pursed to a thin line, and turned his back quite indifferently within a second. I huffed out a frustrated sigh. I shook my head at Chanyeol, mouthing 'later'. I think I've dealt enough men for today, can't take any more. Jinyoung's attitude was still lingering on my mind as I rounded towards the door to settle in a quiet spot in the library.

But the minute I stepped out rubbing my tired eyes, I sensed footsteps behind me. Chanyeol was standing there, hands stuffed in his pocket, a small frown crawling on his lips. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing." To be honest, I'm just tired. I wouldn't exactly call today a good one. Half of me was happy that I, at least, have a friend who cares enough to come after me wearing that worried look and ask me about what's bugging me, the other half was sad that it wasn't Jinyoung because I partly expected him to. Chanyeol just gave me a disbelieving look but didn't inquire further. Instead, a playful grin arched on his lips. "So, the word's on the street that Jinyoung is jealous of me?"

I rolled my eyes. Nothing gets past this boy, does it?  He always knows."I thought you said you weren't keeping tabs on me?"

He laughed merrily. "That's true. But I doubt you two will break up over it." I think it's just because of my beaten-up brain that his tone came off quite resentful as he said that. "He really likes you, after all."

"How would you know?"

"Because he told me," Chanyeol answered breezily. "You-" His next words were interrupted by a loud gurgling sound.

"Good Lord, Mirae, was that your stomach?!"

I grimaced in embarrassment, holding the sides of my abdomen, kneeling a little. "Yes, I...sort of, haven't had much to eat." I half hoped that I wouldn't get to hear that lecture about not having my meals again as I did from the dorm nurse last night.

"I can get you something from the kitchens." He quickly offered.

"But they are so far away..." I whined, almost ready to ignore my hunger instinct again.

"Have you forgotten who you are with, dear? I can go to the kitchens from here in two minutes." He smirked proudly, hands on his hips.

"Really?" I asked skeptically.

"Would I lie to you?"

"Yes."

"Okay, but would I lie to you about food?" He grinned.

I smiled. "All right. Lead on, Chanyeol. Though I-"

At the very moment, Jinyoung came bursting out of the common room door, bracing an anxious expression. "Mirae, I have to talk to you." The urgency in his voice caught me off my strong guard. 

I glanced at Chanyeol. I felt bad about ditching him but his gaze sprang between Jinyoung and I for a minute then he nodded understandingly in a second, like he always does, and slipped away from sight with a wink. "See you."

I turned to Jinyoung, crossed my arms, and fixed a stern expression on my features. Seeing his troubled face, I was reminded of our argument when he accused me of not spending enough time with him, instead of being closer to Chanyeol. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. I wasn't going to forgive him that easily, I affirmed.

"What do you want?" My tone was steely as I met his eyes evenly. But soon enough, I realized that it was a mistake because his eyes were definitely my weak point. Deep and sparkling, pouring into mine and pleading me so badly.

"Look, Mirae, I'm sorry I was such a prick today. I guess... I got a bit jealous, which is completely stupid. Because, I know you and Chanyeol are just friends, and barely even that, right?" He ended with a nervous smile as slipped his hands in mine.

I wouldn't say 'barely', I thought defensively, not really sure why that annoyed me so much. But I've had enough arguments for the day so I agreed. "You're right, that was stupid of you." Jinyoung winced, the tense expression was back. But it relaxed when I added, "But I suppose I can forgive you for that."

Okay, I know, so much for not forgiving him so easily, but I think I've used up all my anger for the day. No strength left in me to bring up arguments or just say anything, I realized. I made a note to myself that never to look in his eyes when I'm not so keen on giving in. They always lure me in. It definitely calls for defeat. "Great." He smiled back and leaned in to place a tender kiss on my lips.

I returned to my room after some time to find a plate of pork sandwiches waiting for me on my bed. I didn't have to ask Yumi who left it there this time, as a knowing smile arched on my lips. I already knew.

-

I think it was after the last class (and my detention which comprised of arranging my professor's numerous journals alphabetically) that I finally told myself that I've had enough of studying and deserved a break to treat myself. Exactly one hour later, I was still clueless about how was I supposed to do that. I mean, Yumi was nowhere to be seen but I think I saw her leaving with Andrew. And Jinyoung still had an evening class to attend. So I agreed that I was gonna have some alone time trying to cheer myself up, though I was okay being myself, people are difficult anyway. I set off on a walk, since students aren't allowed to leave the campus premises, I decided that it was better to wander around the grounds. 

My eyes roamed along with the vast, sunny lands which were situated at a distance from the bustling campus buildings. The freshly mowed grass gave off a certain refreshing scent, already fueling my lost strength. I let my feet move slowly, and my breathing deep. I should come to nature more often, I decided. It proved to be such a good stimulant. Halfway through my walk, my mind entered an old memory lane.

Test series for Junior High students were about to start in a week and such days mostly found Sehun and I lodge in a cozied corner of our huge library. I'm not sure if he felt that 'cozied' because this boy hates the forced-quiet environment maintained here but I was definitely enjoying it, in fact, I quite liked this peace.

Despite being an Arts student, Sehun had made the grave mistake of opting for Chemistry as an additional subject for one term in Junior year and that automatically made me his tutor, his savior especially on the day before an exam. Though he's always complaining about my bossy attitude, inside, I know he likes it. "The first member of the Alkene series is?" I started his oral quiz with an easy question. Sehun, who occupied the chair in front of me, thought for a minute before mumbling unsurely. "Methene..."

I huffed out in exasperation, folding my arms. "That doesn't even exist, Sehun!"

He panicked a little at seeing my raised eyebrow but answered again. "Oh, sorry, sorry, I forgot! Uhh... it's Ethene!"

I smiled. "Good." Picking up his textbook from the table again, I flicked through the pages to find another question. I've always loved this technique. Since my best friend here is a little weak in studies and always passes by scratch, forcing him to pass my quizzes, always helps us to revise the lesson. After many efforts and failed tries, Sehun finally scored ten questions correctly so I let him stroll out for a drink of water, an escape from the suffocating confines of the library before we move on to the next topic.

I smiled to myself, happy at his progress, and decided to spend the time reading something else. Only a moment of this pure bliss must have passed when a heap of lightweight books showered upon me. From above. Some of the books collided with the floor, a few bounced on the table and a couple of them sweetly plummeted my neck and back. A loud squeal left my system reflexively as I groaned in pain and shock at the sudden contact.

My cries were met with a pair of insolent sniggering from behind the bookshelf towering in front of our table. In a second, Chanyeol and Baekhyun appeared in my sight, laughing hysterically at the situation. "I knew it was the two of you!" I hissed in pain.

The naughty, young smile slipped from Chanyeol's lips as soon as he surveyed the area. Then, he nudged his friend's shoulder with a small frown. "He's gone! I told you to check again before signaling me."

Well, that just confirmed my accusation. These bastards. Always messing up with my Sehun. Anger rushed through my blood as I sprang up from my seat, causing twinges of pain to shoot along my spine. Despite that, I didn't let my aggrieved demeanor fall. Clenching my fists, I fixed them with a furious glare. "How could you do this! Do you have any idea how dangerous it was? Someone could have been seriously harmed by what you planned--"

"Oh, but we planned nothing, did you see us doing so?" Baekhyun replied cheekily. Does he think I'm that stupid to ignore all the signs? Idiot.

"It was deliberate. You were trying to harm Sehun and I don't care if you name it a prank." My eyes narrowed at the notorious pair of pranksters. "It is downright serious!"

"Ah, Mirae, my love!" Chanyeol sighed with a cheery smile, making me grimace. Every word that leaves his mouth is supposed to be a joke, I don't find it funny at all. "It really was a mistake. You see, I was placing these books back on the top shelf and then I saw you smiling so beautifully down here--"

"Shut up," I growled. Ugh, trust Chanyeol to twist every conversation in this direction. And I told him to stop calling me that!

"And I was so mesmerized by your presence that the books slipped on the floor, so sorry but you have that effect on me." He ended with a fake apologetic smile but the mischievous twinkle in his eyes didn't go by me. His best friend was also having a hard time controlling his laughter. It shot my irritation to the next level.

"Then you should have slipped with them," I muttered to myself. Folding my arms, I tried not to divert my attention from the situation. It's what he was trying to do with his cheap attempts of flirting; to distract me and I am sane not to fall for it. "If you think that I'm going to ignore that you were attempting to target Sehun again, you're wrong." I hate the way he smirked at that, unaffected like he knows that he'll never be caught. "Why can't you let a person live in peace. Do you both even have a shred of humanity in you? I know it was you who hid his school bag last week. What did Sehun even do to you?!"

I was already shaking in rage but tried to keep my voice under control. But Chanyeol's carefree laugh simmered my temper. "Actually, you see, that worthless prat doesn't deserve to be so close to you, I believe. He is so--"

He was interrupted by a flying book, the same ones he 'slipped', that came in his direction and hit his chest squarely. Woah, my aim isn't that bad, I inwardly cheered. Baekhyun burst into laughter whereas Chanyeol just winked at me, to my surprise. "Ah, feisty, feisty, aren't we?"

I rolled my eyes. The poor books scattered around us were starting to irritate me so I bent down to pick them up. A groan left my mouth, I hope I didn't get a bruise or something on my back, it hurts like hell. Thank god Sehun was away and didn't get hurt. I heard some hurried footsteps rushing towards us. I stood to see Sehun wearing an anxious expression; he must have seen his worst nightmare standing next to me. "Mirae, are you okay?"

I smiled. "Yes."

Baekhyun chuckled darkly, causing his friend to double with laughter. "Here comes the prince charming with shining armor."

Sehun shot the two of them a scowl which was responded by Chanyeol grabbing his elbow and pushing him back against the glass cabinets. "What? You got a problem, moron?" The smile had morphed into a threatening frown.

"N-no..." I sighed when I saw Sehun wriggling in his hold so I stepped forward to pull him free. Chanyeol surprisingly let him go, eyes fixed on me. "Mirae, why are you wasting your weekend teaching this halfwit? Sorry to break it to you, honey, it's totally useless."

Baekhyun snickered. "Do you think he's ever going to pass a term?" He threw Sehun an intimidating look who just cowered in return. "This bonehead is fated to--"

"I don't remember asking your opinion." I glared at the shorter guy. "Keep it to yourself."

"Instead," Chanyeol flashed a toothy smile, taking a step closer. "Why don't you let me take you out this Sunday? I swear it will be the best day of your---"

"I'm sick of this Chanyeol, cut it out, okay? It's not funny anymore." I snapped, a frown deeply embedded on my lips. "Take your sorry asses out of here and let him go. And don't you both dare think that I will let this go. I'm going to report it to Madam Jung right now."

Chanyeol held his chest dramatically. "You're intent on breaking my heart today, darling."

I rolled my eyes. His words always leave me nauseated. Does he seriously think it's romantic? He bullies my best friend, insults him, belittles him every day, and expects me to fall for his arrogant ? Nobody infuriates me as he does, I wish I could get back at him one day. I wish I'd have the power to erase the smiles and smirks from his and his friends' faces one day, or just anyone who tries to hurt Sehun.

A ringing bell indicating the end of the period made me break from my train of thoughts. Realizing what I'd just remembered brought a small smile to my face as I shook my head. Things had visible changes, tables had turned. I felt happy to see how much all of us had matured from the three years back. Before I could ponder anymore over it, I heard howling in the corridor causing my prefect instincts to be alarmed.

It sounded like a fight had broken out among a group of boys. I definitely didn't want to stick my nose and break it up but I changed my mind when I spotted Chanyeol's broad back among that rebellious group. As I slowly made my way, I was disappointed to find that I was too late, the crowd had already dispersed. I had barely stepped a foot in the particular corridor when I noticed Chanyeol's bloody nose. And that surely did speed me up. 

The other rival party had already left, leaving Chanyeol alone. My eyes observed his figure to make sure he wasn't hurt anywhere else, except for the bleeding nose. He raised a surprised eyebrow at me when I showed up by his side out of thin air, handing him my handkerchief.

"Having fun, are we?" I asked, trying to keep the atmosphere light.

"Bery." He replied. Bery? Or very? Oh, his blocked nose. Cute.

I know I'm a horrible person for laughing right in his face, but I sobered up quickly. I have to admit that his injury did look somewhat painful, with all the blood coming out from his nose. "Did they break your nose or something?"

He rolled his eyes. "You're endoying dis, aren'd you?"

My lips twitched but I held it back. "It's quite hard to take you seriously when you sound like that, you know."

"Dis' isn'd funny, Birae!"

Laughter bubbled out of my chest again, I couldn't help it after hearing his indignant whining. "Okay, I'm really sorry. Let me see it." I responded, reaching my hand closer to his face, but he shook his head and stepped backward holding his hand protectively over his nose.

"Doh." He shook his head. "I don'd trust you."

"Fine." I crossed my arms. Shuffling in my pocket, I handed him another tissue. "Take this at least" He eyed it suspiciously before dabbing his nose with it. After a few minutes, his bleeding stopped.

"You do realize you have blood all over your face, right?" I asked after a moment as we walked idly along the corridors.

"Well, I figured this would make my return in the common room more dramatic. You know how much I love dramatic entrances. Hits you girls right here." He winked, thumping his chest. I rolled my eyes.

"I can't believe you laughed at me getting punched. That's something Baekhyun would do. I think he's rubbing off on you more than I am." He accused me with a scowl.

I shuddered. "That's a terrifying thought."

"So what was going on here?" I asked curiously.

"Nothing."

I narrowed my eyes, my mind wandering to situations that I didn't want to think about it. "You have five seconds to explain, or I'll break your nose again." He just threw me an affronted look.

 "Were you bullying them?" I asked, hoping to hear a no, as we walked forward. Because somewhere deep down, I'm always afraid that he hasn't let go of his old ways that easily. You can't change your personality in a few months, it's something that is built-in. I kind of felt that our friendship depended on his answer.

Thankfully, he quickly shook his head. "Definitely not. But don't ask me to tell you the whole story. All I can tell is that it's half resolved."

I breathed in relief, suddenly feeling light. "Good enough for me."

We walked in silence for most of the way to the common room. After a moment, I couldn't help saying. "Can I please wash the blood off your face?"

Chanyeol whipped his head around to stare at me, a surprised smile jumping at his lips. He didn't say anything back, just kept running his eyes over my face.

"Sorry, it's bothering me."

"Okay, have a go."

I pulled him to the nearest storeroom. I made him sit outside while I searched for something to wipe off the bloodstains. Soon enough, I found a sponge in a wooden cabinet.

"Wait." Chanyeol said as I walked over at him. "That has soap on it. It'll get in my mouth."

"Then close your mouth," I smirked. "I know it's hard for you."

Chanyeol glared at me but tightly shut his lips. 

"You can take this as a payback for taking me to the hospital wing that night," I muttered as I began rubbing his cheek fat gently.

He quickly opened his mouth. "I didn't do that to get anything ba-"

"I know." 

I deliberately pressed the sponge on his mouth. His face contorted in disgust as the bitter taste of soap touched his tongue. He glared at me again and I shrugged. "Told you to shut up."

I scrubbed the partially dried blood off his face trying not to stare anywhere close to where his lips were because I'm damn sure it would remind me of our kiss from that night. It's not like I think about it that often but it's better to keep my safe distance after that incident. We got away that night but you can't be lucky every time. I felt a bit strange as I cleaned him.

"I sort of feel like your mother or something." I joked, chuckling to myself.

He just raised a judgemental eyebrow.

"Right, you can't talk, sorry." I grinned. I finished cleaning him and look up to find Chanyeol looking oddly at me. I mean it, very oddly. He wasn't smiling, not frowning; just a look of amazement written on his face but signs of pain were also there. His eyes implored me, rendering me defenseless. I really couldn't work it out.

"What?"

"." He muttered.

"What?" I repeated, confused, and... a little worried.

"Uh, nothing. I... uh-- I should probably go. See you later." I quickly moved away from me, wiped his face with one swipe, and turned around, almost like he was trying to get away from me.

As he left abruptly, I wondered if I would ever understand the mystery that was Park Chanyeol.

Sighing heavily, I was still a little shook by his sudden change of behavior. I placed the sponge back in its place and discovered that he had left his backpack on the floor as I closed the door of the storeroom. I shook my head and picked it up, hoping to find him somewhere nearby. I tried to remember the direction he had run off to. To my relief, Andrew was kind enough to let me know that he had seen Chanyeol rushing towards the locker room.

Today, I discovered the unbelievable fact that, during all the eighteen years of my life, I have never been to the football locker room. So naturally, I had a hard time looking for it, but I succeeded anyway.

Upon reaching the secluded rooms on the other side of the pitch, my hand rested on the doorknob as I stopped abruptly when I heard the commotion inside. I peeked inside the room through the thin slits in door finding Chanyeol leaning against the locker, eyes trained on the floor, tense and panicky.

On the other hand, Bakehyun stood there, his head high and his expression looked like he was lecturing Chanyeol on something. A mischievous smile jumped on my lips. I wanted to surprise both of them. I can't just go in and scream 'Boo, I got you!' so I waited until their conversation had ended so I could make my grand entry.

"--I told you! I told you it was nothing but a stupid idea, ever since last year." Baekhyun exclaimed, annoyed. "But nothing gets in that thick head of yours."

I could hear Chanyeol's heavy breathing. "I thought it was going to work. And it should have worked by now. I didn't expect this."

"Well, you know better now," Baekhyun said quickly He suddenly sounded hopeful.

"What do you mean?" The taller guy replied sharply.

"Let it go. Just give up on it, bro, it's no use." Baekhyun placed a hand on his shoulder.

An irritated voice emitted from Chanyeol's mouth as he brushed his friend's hand away. "Do you think I haven't tried?" 

A moment of silence passed and I was contemplating whether I should leave the backpack here or take it back with me and give it to him later because this conversation was becoming heated and I don't think it's ending anytime soon. It wasn't any use eavesdropping, I can't even catch what they're talking about.

I was turning around when his next words caught me off guard.

"No, I'm telling you, she'll come around one day. I just know it! She's just a tough nut to crack." Chanyeol tried to convince his best friend.

My breath hitched in my throat. She? I gulped nervously. All this time, I had thought they were talking about some guy-related or football-related stuff, but I was enveloped by doubt now. My mind raced about whatever they'd argued about in the last few minutes I was here.

I risked another peek and spotted Baekhyun's face with a mixture of pity and exasperation clear on his features as he shook his head. "She's blind, I'm telling you."

Chanyeol laughed humorlessly. "She's always been blind. At least when it comes to me."

My eyes widened in disbelief. It's not me, they're talking about, right? The other side of my brain answered, Maybe it's his mother? Chanyeol did tell you that he's having problems with his mother...

"Then, stop torturing yourself." Baekhyun persuaded.

"I wish I had the choice." 

A loud grunt echoed in the empty hall as Chanyeol collided his fist with a locker. I jumped back in shock. Deciding that I had overheard more than I should have, I quickly sped back to the common room, clutching his backpack close to my chest, not even stopping to catch my breath. His words kept replaying in my mind again and again like a broken radio. I tried to think about anything else but it was no use, they would haunt me forever.

If I tried to think rationally, it could point towards his mother too. I suddenly remembered that time when I had caught him arguing with his mother on phone. And then the other side of my brain screamed: No, idiot, you're just in denial!

I pinched my eyes close and prayed that it was the former.

-

The next day started with joy but ended in tears.

On the morning of Jinyoung's and my three-month anniversary, I woke up expecting it to be like any other day. I was hardly the over-romantic type so I didn't know we'd do anything to commemorate the day and was sure my boyfriend had similar thoughts. Boy, I was wrong.

Pushing aside the door to the girl's dorm, I gasped when I found a dozen red roses arranged on the foot of the door. Not only that, a trail of rose petals leading all through the stairs. Shutting the door, I got dressed quickly. Grabbing my bag, I rushed out of the room and found Yumi, Eunmi, and Eunji chatting outside. They turned to me as I joined them.

Eunmi smiled sheepishly. "We just discovered the petals and were waiting for you to trace them back...so, Jinyoung did all of this?"

"Uh, I guess so. Yeah." I smiled, feeling giddy.

Yumi and Eunji exchanged gleeful looks. "That's so sweet!" They gushed.

"I know!!!" Eunmi exclaimed.

Just as the twins went ahead after a few more minutes of raving the sweetness of the situation, which I totally agreed with, Yumi grinned at me. "I bet you didn't even know about this, did you?" She said it more like a statement than a question.

"No." I sighed. "I didn't think he would do anything. I mean, three months? That's not really... did you think he would do something? We never talked about."

She shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about it though. I hardly think he expected something from someone as dumb as you." Yumi answered sweetly.

"Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically.

Guilt twisted in my stomach as I followed the petals all through the common room and then the corridor. Like along the whole corridor leading from the common room to the lunch hall, there was a thin trail of petals for me to follow. I was a little bit surprised not to see Jinyoung at breakfast, instead three roses waiting on a golden plate just across where Junmyun and Baekhyun sat. Both boys winked at me as I sat down and I felt myself reddening, everybody was giving me those looks but I enjoyed it.

"Good, you're here. Now we can stop guarding this thing." Junmyun commented as he pushed the rose plate towards me.

"Oh my God! This is the cutest thing I have ever seen!" Eunji exclaimed as she sat down beside me. 

Baekhyun raised his brows at her with the same expression Yumi had. "Huh, bloody adorable." He smirked, looking at me.

"Oh shut it," I muttered still in awe with everything Jinyoung had done. I touched my heart, to say the east. His actions always made me feel special.

"Why wouldn't my boyfriend do something like that for me!?" Eunji scowled.

"Do you even have a boyfriend?" Junmyun frowned.

She giggled. "I meant my crushes." Everybody rolled their eyes at her.

"And where is the man of the hour?" Junmyun inquired, his question directed at me.

"No idea. I would love to know though." I replied.

A girl tapped on my shoulder holding a red rose. I raised my brows and she blushed, scratching her head. "Uh...I was told to...um... I was told to give it to you."

A large smile broke out on my face as I accepted the rose and thanked her. How cute!

Just then, Chanyeol dragged himself in the hall lazily and plopped down beside his friends, a sour expression glued on his face. "Oh god, Mirae, was all that mess for you?" He inquired, tilting his head at the common room, irked.

I frowned at him. "Yes. Sorry if it interfered in your normal morning activities." My voice was somewhat biting in response to his unexpected disapproval. The memories of that day in the locker room came flooding back but I told myself that I wasn't going to worry about it, at least, not today.

He just grunted, rolling his eyes. "Seems, a bit excessive to celebrate just a couple of months, don't you think?"

"Couldn't agree more with you, bro." Baekhyun chimed in cheerfully before I could reply.

Both Chanyeol and I glared at him. Though I couldn't see why Chanyeol was mad at his friend since Baekhyun was taking his side. Then again, I don't even know why Chanyeol was mad at me either.

"I think it's sweet." I defended.

"No, you don't." He snapped. "You're just saying that because you don't want to admit I'm right."

"What, no I'm not! Just because you would never do something romantic and thoughtful like that doesn't mean it's excessive." I said indignantly.

"Whatever you say, Mirae." He muttered, sounding infuriatingly superior.

I sighed in frustration. "Anyway, why do you even care?"

Chanyeol couldn't think of a reply for that seeing that he just shrugged and started glaring intensely at the floor until we reached our Physics Lab. I kept looking around for Jinyoung but he was doing pretty well in hiding. When the Lab supervisor announced that he was pairing us off for the rest of the class, I had a moment of dread until he paired me with Baekhyun. Breathing a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to work with Chanyeol, because the boy looked crazy enough to eat me alive. I glanced at Baekhyun, jerking my head to the seat beside me that Yumi had just vacated before leaving to join her partner.

He quirked an eyebrow at me in return. "Nice try, Mirae," he called. "But the day I sit in front of the class is the day when Junmyun becomes the Queen of England." He frowned for a second. "Actually that might not be so impossible seeing he is practically a girl from inside." Junmyun, who was just passing by, hit him on the back of his head.

I grinned. "You need to watch out your words, Baekhyun. He isn't as timid as you think."

"He seriously did put a lot of effort into this, didn't he?"

My head whipped in his direction at his question and found him looking quizzically on our table. A red rose was resting on it. I smiled and picked it up raising it nearer my nose. After a good sniff, I carefully placed it in my bag, not to trample its beautiful shape.

"Three months, that's it." He was mostly saying that to himself but I sensed that he was mocking me.

"Just because your longest relationship was three hours--"

"All right, all right. I'll stop. Let's start with the experiment, shall we?" He held his hands up grinned apologetically.

We worked in silence for a while, until I couldn't help inquiring casually. "So any idea why Chanyeol is acting as moody as a girl on her period?"

He burst out in laughter at my reference and even I couldn't help smiling. "Woah! Wouldn't that be really cool to imagine?"

"Okay, no, I'm serious," I asked again.

He suddenly became very intent in setting the apparatus correctly, paying less attention to me. "Dunno, maybe he's tired."

"Well all of us are, but I don't hear you or Junmyun complaining about Jinyoug's affection for me." As I read the instructions of the experiment, I glanced over to find Baekhyun looking closely at me. "What?"

He let out a sigh, sounding almost disappointed. "Nothing. Well, Chanyeol does have a short temper sometimes."

My eyes narrowed at him. I contemplated if I should ask him about everything I overheard in the locker room. But I decided against it. If there's anyone I'm going to discuss that with, it will be Chanyeol.

"There's something you're not telling me." I accused.

He reached out to tweak my nose, earning a glare from me. "Darling, I could write a book on the things you don't know. But I wouldn't worry my pretty head if I were you. Besides, neither do I have the time or motivation to write something as complicated."

As the day wore on, I received three more roses from Jinyoung, though not personally delivered by him.  One was given to me by a junior (who looked too uncomfortable to be carrying a flower), then another by Jongdae (who was beaming brightly like a flower itself), and the last one was handed by my confused looking grumpy History Professor (who gave me a nasty disapproving look as he handed it to me) making me wonder how on Earth did Jinyoung manage to convince him to do the favor. But we all had a good laugh over it. And in the middle of all that, Chanyeol was crabby as hell so I stayed away from him. By the end of lunch, I was really starting to get frustrated with Jinyoung's absence. 

"Where has he been all day?" Yumi pointed out.

"I've been wondering that as well," I whined. "I mean, I know this place is huge but he's doing an impressive job at hiding. Though I hope he shows up. I think I'd like to see him on our anniversary."

 Baekhyun appeared on my side suddenly holding another rose. "There." He shoved it in my hand.

"Jinyoung gave it to you?" I asked looking around if I could spot him.

"No, it's from Chanyeol." He replied slyly.

I blinked in surprise. "What?"

"Well, yes." He paused for a while. "I mean it is actually from Jinyoung. But he gave it to Chanyeol to pass it on to you. And Chanyeol's in no mood to do these favors so he asked me to give it to you. Hence, technically it's from Chanyeol."

I breathed a sigh of relief. Phew, he really got me there.

I was wandering in the library in the hopes of finding Jinyoung squeezed in a corner but I was failing miserably every second. After a few hours, I had lost all hope but not so disappointed considering that there was still half a day left. He could still show up and we can have loads of fun together. 

To my surprise, I spotted Sehun and another guy in the library. They looked happy, seeing they were laughing over something. A bright smile adorned his face and I was glad he had made a new friend. Just as the guy left his side, I sprinted towards Sehun.

"Hi." I panted.

Sehun grinned, lightly patting my head. "Hi."

"Who was that?" I asked with an anticipated smile.

He chuckled. "I made a friend."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, I can see that.  He doesn't look Korean though."

"Yeah, he's Chinese by nationality. And he's an excellent dancer. I'm literally awed by his moves."

I smiled. Sehun had always been so passionate about learning dance. "I'm happy for you."

"Oh, you're Sehun's friend? Mirae?" A voice came from behind.

I turned around and cam face to face with Sehun's Chinese friend there smiling widely. "Yes." I held out my hand. "And you are...?"

"Zhang Yixing." He answered, showing his bright dimple as he shook my hand. "Sehun, here, has told me a lot about you."

I beamed as I stole a glance at Sehun whose ears were reddening. "And I've heard that you're an amazing dancer?"

Yixing's ears turned a dark shade of red as he shook his head quickly. "What? No no, I'm just like any other..."

I smiled at his humble nature, happy that Sehun had a sensible classmate for once, who wasn't going to ruin him and his reputation. I excused myself, leaving them alone as I returned back to my room.

Someone cleared their throat uncomfortably just as I was about to enter. I turned around and found Junmyun standing there. I glanced at him questioningly.

"I'm supposed to tell you to go outside." He smiled. "Umm...under the Elm trees, to be exact."

"Right, thanks." I beamed, my feet running to take me there.

As I trudged down to the told destination, I had a sneaky suspicion that I was going to meet my boyfriend. The sole thought of seeing him plastered a large smile on my face. I tried to be as quiet as I could so that I could sneak upon him. Hiding behind a tree, I peeked and found him standing there, his back me. Slowly and steadily, I reached up to him, without making a sound.

As I threw my arms around his torso and back-hugged him, placing my cheek on his firm back, He laughed as soon as he saw me and turned around. I looked up at him and gave him a long, well-deserved kiss, which he returned with the same enthusiasm, smiling in incredulity as I pulled away. After a good, long kiss, I spoke up.

"Where've you been all day?" I whined as I laced my fingers through his.

"Oh, you know... around," Jinyoung answered vaguely, his fingers caressed my cheek lightly.

I raised my eyebrows playfully. He grinned in return and pulled me closer to him, his arm snaking up around my waist.

"Thank you for the roses," I commented. "It was the most beautiful gesture, literally."

"Did you like them?"

"I loved them." I smiled sweetly. His eyes were so full of warmth that I forgot all my worries. After a moment, I spoke again. "I had no idea that you would be celebrating the three months like this. I wish I'd done som-"

He placed his finger on my lips, shaking his head sideways. "No, I wanted it to be this way."

I raised an eyebrow. "You wanted me to do nothing?"

Jinyoung nodded.

I rolled my eyes. "It's stupid of me."

"I told you before and I'm going to say it again. I like you this way." He smiled, his eyes pouring into mine. He leaned in and buried his nose in my hair, hugging me sideways.

His words didn't make sense to me but I chose not to make a fuss. I stood there silently taking in his image. The air around us was serene, breeze blowing lightly. But nothing was more comforting than the affection in his eyes. I felt happier, wrapping my arms around him, as he leaned in to kiss me. 

It was late afternoon, when we returned to the common room, hand in hand after spending the whole evening together. I tried to ignore Chanyeol's heavy stare as we passed him but it was unavoidable seeing that Jinyoung chose to settle where he was.

"Found him finally, did you?" Yumi winked.

I grinned widely and nodded quickly. "Took him long enough to show up. But the wait was worthwhile."

We chatted for a while when Jinyoung turned to face me. "I'm going to take a shower. Wanna go on a walk after that?"

I quickly glanced at the wall clock and found there was still an hour before curfew. I smiled and nodded. "I'd love to."

He kissed my cheek and left before saying that he would be back soon. 

I stretched widely, I couldn't stop smiling. It really was a wonderful day. Jinyoung and I were a little distant from the past few days but today I felt great. Like our relation couldn't get any better. And it was then when the heaviest boulder hit me. My phone rang up and I saw the contact, 'Ajhussi's Nurse' lighting up on my screen. I know, it could be a good news but I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I kept looking at my phone uncertainly, as a frown appeared on my lips.

"Who is it?" Yumi asked, from beside me.

I shook my head, unable to take my eyes off it. Gulping, I received it.

"Yeo-yeoboseyo?" My voice was trembling.

"Is this Kang Mirae?"

Holding my breath, I answered quickly. "Yes."

"This is Oh Seung Min's nurse speaking. I just thought you'd want to be informed that your patient couldn't make it."

My eyes widened in horror as my breathing grew unsteady. "Wh-what?"

"Yes, he expired an hour ago, I'm sorry for your loss."

Tears filled up in my eyes, yet to fall. I could feel everyone's worried eyes on me. When I didn't reply, she spoke up again. I pressed my eyes closed in order to take in the dreadful news.

"His son is here. And he's very... well, we can't control him. You're the only other contact we have of the deceased. There are some arrangements to be ma-"

I hung up the call, throwing my phone aside. Yumi, who had understood by now, turned to embrace me, my sobs breaking out loudly. I couldn't take it anymore when the nurse said the deceased. It's unbelievable. Although I was crying painfully, a part of me still wanted to believe that this was some sort of joke, a prank. But it was life and it's uncertain jsut like that. One day, someone is like a father for you and the other he's not beside you anymore.

"What is it, Mirae?" Chanyeol came closer, worry etched on his features, while the other two tailed behind him. Yumi told them to me. "It's Sehun's...Dad. He, uh passed away."

They gasped, looking were shocked themselves. Maybe I was mistaken, but I spotted something close to regret on their faces. I sat there, frozen for a moment. Then, the nurse's words hit me again: His son is here. He's very...we can't control him.

"Sehun!" I exclaimed worriedly, standing up. I turned towards the guys. "I need to go to the hospital now!"

Just the thought of him helpless and crying made my heart wrench with pain. Nobody would be affected by Ajhussi's death more than his own son. He was so optimistic about the whole thing, saying that everything was going to be fine. I had the sudden urge to be beside him, to hold him, dry off his tears. Tell him that I was always going to be with him.

"But it's late at night, Mirae. We aren't allowed-" Junmyun tried to reason.

I cried out hysterically, nothing but anxiety on my tear-strained face. "There's nobody with him! I don't care, I have to-" 

"Calm down, please." Baekhyun held my shoulders. "It will be over curfew by the time you reach--"

I shook my head. "Look, you don't understand. He needs me-"

"Okay, okay fine! But you're not going on your own. I'll go with you." Chanyeol quickly nodded his head. When I agreed to his request, he quickly took his phone out, calling for a cab.

Just wait for a little while, Sehun. I'm coming.

---

 

Yeah, yeah, very y of me. I love killing characters.
I added the flashback at the very last minute because I think we all needed a dose of the past to understand the present better. Still skeptical about it, though!
 Plus, I know Mirae is infuriatingly annoying, but hey, I warned you people when I first introduced her ;)

I respect all my silent readers but please know that your votes and comments are my only source of motivation. Let me know what you think! Good day :)