Chapter 21

It's Always You

Note:

Mirae- Italic.

Chanyeol- underlined Italic

Yumi- Bold

Jinyoung- Bold Italic

---

And suddenly, we all were boarding the train back home.

The exams were pretty hectic, of course, just like every time. The whole two weeks were loaded with pressure and a tight schedule. And with stress comes other things too, like impulsive hook-ups and break-ups, passing out in the middle of class, and nervous breakdowns on the way to the examination hall. But I, thankfully, did not become a victim of any of these, though my peers did.

"The end of term always comes so fast, it sneaks up on me every time. It's so sad to leave this place," I commented to Jinyoung as the group of us load our luggage on KTX, the Korean rail system.

He laughed. "You know, you still surprise me sometimes with the crazy things you say."

I grinned. "Well, I guess that's good. You won't get bored with me."

Jinyoung threw me a look before leaning in and kissed on the top of my head. "Oh, I dare say, no."

He bent to pick up his suitcase but soon dropped it abruptly, an expression of anxiety plastered on his face.

"What?"

", I think I left my hood in my friend's rucksack. Listen, I've got to run back." He started to trot in the opposite direction. "I'll be right back!"

"Hurry!" I called after him. "I'm not going to hold the entire train for you."

He whirled around but kept running backward, an amusing grin broke out on Jinyoung's face. "Ah, I knew there was a reason I was dating you!"

I laughed, turning towards my rather large and heavy suitcases, and immediately wished that he had at least helped me load it before leaving. Reaching down, I dragged it so that it was propped against the train's door. Heaving a heavy breath, I started shoving it inside. A moment later, another pair of hands joined mine, and the trunk smoothly slid onto the train.

"Thanks," I said, straightening. Whatever else I might have said died inside my throat as I caught the miserably unreadable look on Junmyun's pale and worried features. My stomach dropped.

"What's the matter?" My hands shot upon his arm.

He opened his mouth and closed it and kept doing it for some time, like a goldfish. He looked so helpless and weak like he was already tired of life, the weary creases between his eyebrows weren't a pleasant sight at all. His eyes were bloodshot red, making me wonder how long he hasn't had a good sleep. His hesitance was bugging me so pulled him in a compartment, urging him to share it with me. "Come on."

He sighed deeply. "My father's lawsuit ended."

"And?"

"We lost."

His voice was wavering so badly that I was sure he was going to break down at the very moment. I brought my hand to his back which was shivering and patted it gently. "You didn't, he did."

He looked up. "That's the same thing."

I smiled slightly. "No, it's not. You're both two very different people if that's any comfort. So, It's different."

A tiny smile crept on his lips as he started to get the meaning. I asked, "How long is it?"

"Eight years."

I grimaced. My brows shot up. "That's quite a long time."

Junmyun nodded slowly. "But, it's only fair, I guess." After a moment of pricking silence, he said. "Everything is going to change so much. We aren't allowed to use his illegal money of course, not that we want to, and our house would have to be handed over and the..."

"Don't think too much. I'm sure everything is going to be alright." I assured him. "Know that it's the right thing to do. You'll pull through."

A hopeful smile made it's way on his features again.

Junmyun left to search for his friends after settling my luggage in a corner. Jinyoung came panting back while I was still in deep thought about my conversation with Junmyun. I felt genuinely bad for him and deep down, I could sense the big change he'll have to go through in his life. He wouldn't have his father alongside him to help him. Jinyoung occupied the seat next to me, offering me a water bottle.

I cleared my throat and accepted it with a smile. "I'm going to miss you so much." He muttered, lacing his fingers with mine. It's true though, Jinyoung and I never have been separated for this long. "Me too." I laid my head on his shoulder, inhaling in the sweet, addictive scent. I don;t think I can never have enough of him. Sometimes when I think about it, he really is my type, Chanyeol was right when he said that Jinyoung is my male clone. I can never feel uncomfortable around Jinyoung, he makes me lure into his charms without a warning. "But we'll do video calls and stay in touch, of course."

"I have to go to Ulsan for the family wedding I told you about. But if I find any time, I'd love to drop by at your place." He promised.

"Eomma's going to love that!" I cheered. "She's always talking of wanting to meet my boyfriend." I felt him smile against my hair as we slowly drifted off to slumber, snuggled up against each other's warmth.

-

The minute I stepped foot in the Kang household, I was warmly welcomed by my snarly sister who stomped off to her bedroom, after throwing me a deadly glare, as soon she saw me enter. I raised my brows at Appa who quickly brushed it off with a large smile.

"Don't worry about her, honey. Your sister is just a little nervous about the big day."

I tried hard not to roll my eyes 360 degrees at his excuse. Eomma chirped, her happiness overloading. A bright smile gleamed on her face. God, I've missed her so much. I ran towards her, hugging her tightly. "It's okay. I think she has indigestion or something, she's been vomiting since morning. You know it happens when you're really tense about something."

I ignored Unnie and decided to fix all my attention to my parents who were beyond happy that I was 'so graciously' able to make it to her engagement party, which four days from now. 

There was hustle and bustle everywhere, and I was glad I could be of any sort of help. It had been such a long time since I was spending some time with my family so I eagerly participated in making guest lists. My sister dear didn't make an appearance all day but I'm happy I have to see less of her. Despite not descending from her stairs, she did not fail any opportunity to disagree with every color theme Eomma and I came up for the party. Neither did she eat dinner with us. And would leave the room whenever I entered. I was slowly starting to get impatient with her immature attitude. Who the hell, in their right mind would want to spend a lifetime with a snob like her. I'm sure the poor guy was tricked somehow. But as Chanyeol and Baekhyun had put it, it did make me feel a little satisfied. Oh my, I sound like such a villain.

 

I received an unexpected text from Chanyeol that night after I came back home with my father after meeting with the caterers and instructing them about all the dishes and drinks we needed.

I feel a bit strange texting you so soon, but you can say that I'm bored AF. So anything interesting in the last... twenty-four hours since I've seen you? I know it sounds more... Desperate? Creepy? Or stalker-ish? Oh whatever, just answer me.

I small arched upon my lips as I read it over and over again. This was so Chanyeol-like.

Funny you should ask, but several things have happened since the last twenty-four hours. For one, Junmyun told me about his father's case. Did you know? Oh, of course, you do, you're his best friend, stupid of me to ask. It's pretty sad, actually.

That's only one thing. I didn't know 'several' meant one -_- 
Okay I know I'm being a prick.
You're right, it is devastating. But I think it will do him good. He's been suffering a lot lately.

That's pretty good, then. And yes, you are a prick. If you need any sort of confirmation about that, I'll always be there for you :)

Believe me, I know that, you would never let me down when it comes to...Letting me down? Lol XD  hope that makes sense.

Surprisingly, it does make sense. On a less pleasant note, I think it was a wrong decision to force myself into my sister's party.

Why? did she try to kill you or something?

No, she didn't but is close to it. If you find my dead bloodied body under a car or on a roof, you'd know who to suspect. Arasseo?

Got it! I'll keep that in mind :)
I'm intrigued by the idea of someone willing to date her. You must tell me more about this amazing bloke.

His name is Daehyun. He is a fresh advocate. And VERY good looking. Like, extremely handsome.

Oh dear, am I burdened with the heavy, dreadful task of informing Jinyoung, or will you do it yourself?

Tell him what?

That you're cheating on him with your sister's fiance?

Hahaha. Oh, shut up. That's ridiculous. Anybody who can have feelings for her is not my type. Definitely not.

That's a relief. If you need any prank ideas for your sister, I hope you know who to ask ;)

Oh, I'd better not if I want to survive here. It just saddens me that great people such as him can fall in love with people such as her. It's depressing. Excuse me, while I throw myself off a cliff.

Good luck, better find a tall cliff, over shark-infested waters!

Oh, shut up. 
Plus, how's that pet of yours doing? Toben, was it?

"Have you asked your boyfriend? Maybe he's just waiting for an invitation." Mom wondered as she plopped on the couch beside me, turning on the TV.

"I told you, he's got a wedding to attend himself," I repeated the words for the third time that day. My parents were really insistent that Jinyoung should attend the party, and deep down I had hoped he could make it here too but he had made it crystal clear that it wasn't possible and I understand. It was a cousin of his that was getting married. Maybe he can make it to unnie's wedding, whenever it happens. That is if I am invited.

"Oh." She sighed. "I was hoping to meet him."

I smiled and rubbed her hand. "Don't worry, I'll arrange a meeting soon."

Chanyeol didn't reply for some time, meanwhile, I switched to Jinyoung's chatbox who would have reached Ulsan by now. 

I'm sure your life is far more interesting than mine at the moment (trust me, it's not hard) and I'm thinking of hibernating in the summers. Is that even possible? So I'm expecting a lengthy reply from you about all your exciting adventures.

Aww, dear, I'm sure your sister will come around. Don't lose hope. Why don't you go, grab a drink or something and talk to her? Last time I checked, girls loved chatting and I think it might make things better.
Right, so my adventures. Well, it was really nice catching up with my cousins who are really into salsa dancing these days and intend to stage a show at the wedding. They forced me to go to some night clubs so I get a hold of the dance steps which I didn't. So, I'm stuck in a practice class now. You'd die laughing if you see my dismal attempts at salsa. I have never in my life tried it before and don't plan to do it again. It's so so embarrassing, believe me.
Was that long enough?

Yes, it was, thanks. 
I laughed as soon as I pictured you trying salsa but sobered up quickly when I imagined myself doing any type of dance at all. You owe me a demonstration of your wonderful salsa skills after vacations, got it?

Don't. even. think. about. forcing. me. to. try. salsa. again!!!

Nopes, you have to do it at the New Year's party. 
End of story.

My favorite, mad cousin Sojin is coming to stay. Last time, she made me drive for a whole hour around the city without a driver's license. I think I might have some interesting stories by the end of this week. But I'm not sure you'll like 'em.

I'm insulted that you think I wouldn't like to hear about your mad cousin. I LOVE mad people (why do you think I'm dating you?) You better tell me everything the pair of you do! Would love to see that. :D

Sure, if it's worth telling a boyfriend ;)

Lol, as long as you don't go flirting with strangers.

The screen of my cell phone lit up again as Yumi bombarded me with a train of messages.

Hey.

Mirae!!!

Where the are you?

Ugh, come on.

I swear I'm going to strangle you if you don't answer me  :{

I'm here! It takes a bit of time to type, okay? What's up?

Something's wrong with Andrew.

Wrong, as in?

He isn't replying to me.

Umm...

I mean, he hasn't for the last three days!

That's okay, Yumi. Maybe he's busy.

No, I know something's up. 

I think you're just being a little paranoid about it.

I swear! he's been really distant lately.

So, what are you suggesting?

Oh, I don't know. I feel like screaming.

Sure, do. It helps, actually.

Okay, I just did and Dad's screaming at me now ._.

Haha, if it helps, you're invited to that cursed engagement party.

Are you serious? Your sister hates me.

She hates me too, remember? Eomma made me add my friends.

Oh well, thanks. I'll try it.

And don't get too worked up about Andrew. I bet he'll reply within a week with a long, sweet explanation.

Yea, I'm trying to stay optimistic.

-

I had texted the others about their invitation to the party too. I don't know if it makes sense to invite my friends but I think my parents are just curious about the people I hang out with at school. I did text Sehun but I know it's no use. He hardly ever replies when he's at a relative's place.

Dinner before the night of the party was extremely boring. It was just the three of us, with Minji eating in her room. We were all enormously tired with all the arrangements. The color theme decided was maroon and white. And I was supposed to be wearing a maroon dress, as well. So all the chairs, background drop, and the venue decorations were dipped in red too. I'd gone with Appa to the booked venue this evening to make sure everything was in its place so that nothing goes wrong tomorrow. It's ironic, isn't it? At one point, I wasn't invited. And now, I'm working my off like I'm being paid for it.

Minji surprisingly didn't participate much saying she needed her beauty sleep and rest. I find it pretty out-of-place. It's girls like me who don't give a about parties. Not ones like her who spent half of their life planning their wedding. 

Wouldn't I have loved to know how he proposed to her? How they even met? What was their first date like? What does it feel like to be in love? How does it feel to be someone's to-be-wife? For once, I ached to be close to her and spend this special time alongside her. 
Okay, Mirae, stop. You're just aiming for the impossible.

I closed my eyes, resting my head on the plush couch in the living room, not wanting to lock into my lonely bedroom. My phone vibrated loudly and I did have an idea who was it going to be.

Sorry, it took me long to reply. So pets, well yeah. Toben, my pup, is doing okay and so is Baekhyun. (he's sitting just beside me so I hope you get the hidden meaning).

A bubble of laughter rose in my chest. This guy sure knows how to lift a bad mood. I've only just stopped laughing about your pet joke, well done, it's hilarious. On the other hand, Baekhyun is beside you?

Yes, he sometimes comes over to my place on vacation. My mind immediately reminded me of the night when Baekhyun had told me about his brother and how he sometimes prefers to stay at Chanyeol's place because it gets too depressing at his home.

I can't believe you let him in the house. Are you sure he's house trained? 

Hahaha, that was a good one Mirae. Though, need I tell you that Baekhyun read that over my shoulder and is currently exploding, cursing at you with the most disagreeable words ever.

Oh dear, I can already feel a revenge prank coming my way.

Yes, brace yourself.

Either way, the two of you both together for unlimited free time? Your poor mother.

Oh don't think too much, she knows how to keep us under control.

Really? I need to take lessons from her then.

Sure. Baek bought his motorcycle, by the way, remember it?
I'm disappointed why I didn't think of it earlier.

He was actually serious??!

Yes, . 
But don't worry, I've ridden it and it's completely safe, I assure you that.

My eyes widened. He wasn't that serious about forcing me for a motorbike ride, was he? Oh no.

Oh yes  XD

I don't know what you're talking about, Chanyeol.

Yes, you do, Mirae. I WILL make you ride it.

Can we please change the topic? I'm already feeling injured, which I will be after that awful ride (which is never going to happen)

Whatever you say. I told you I'm going to make you do it. And I'm a man of my words, mark that.

Are you trying to kill me or something?

Sorry, that's a secret.
I guess this might be my last text. My battery's dying. Was a pleasure talking to you. You're more pleasant in texts than in person.

Probably because it's easier to imagine you as a lovely and charming person here in texts when I'm not standing in your presence, more than when you're just in front of me. Bye :)

Okay, I lied. That wasn't my last text. And I don't know what you're talking about. I AM a lovely and charming person, Mirae, huh.

Yea sure.

It had gotten pretty late when I finally decided, after much reflection, that may be Jinyoung was right about talking to Minji. So I did exactly as he told. Rummaging in the fridge, I found her favorite soda cans, they were energy drinks which Eomma always forbids us to drink but I think it's all good as long as she doesn't throw one at me. As I nervously made my way to her bedroom, a possibility nagged me that she might still be furious.

A frail knock echoed in front of her bedroom. The door opened in a fraction of a second. Her eyes looked too tired for a person who hasn't moved their the whole day.

"Umm, hi," I said lamely. Before I could make a fool of myself more than I already had, I entered by myself, unaffected by the mess inside. Her clothes were strewn everywhere and her makeup items littered all around the vanity table. I wondered if she was always this disoriented or was this another effect of 'being tense about her big day'?

She didn't question me until we sat on the opposite corners of her unmade bed. "Do you want anything?"

A friendlier version of you? The feeling of having a sister and actually enjoying it. I want it all.

I shrugged lightly and handed her the can I'd brought. She took it and placed it on the bedside table while I opened mine with a pop. As I gulped down a few shots, I realized that it was becoming really awkward. Neither of us had exchanged any sort of conversation. So I tried to proceed with things.

"What are you wearing tomorrow?"

She raised her hand pointed towards a hanger hung on the wall, carrying a rich, maroon, satin dress. I gasped as I came closer to run my hand over it. The shimmery material embedded over it added to its beauty. There were small pearl-like beads attached to its high collar which gave it a royal touch.

"Wow," I uttered. "It's so beautiful."

She smiled slightly. 

"Are you sure it fits you?" I asked as I noticed it's the elegantly stitched bodice.

She shrugged her shoulder carelessly. "Maybe. I haven't tried it yet."

Okay, now this is actually weird. She hasn't even tried it on?

"Are you okay? I mean you look a little distant." I asked skeptically, my eyes searching for her in question.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She nodded her head.

I chose to let it go. "What for shoes?"

"Um, I'm thinking about wearing some fancy pumps."

I lifted a brow. "Pumps? At your engagement party? As far as I remember, you had quite a big collection of high heels."

"I don't feel like wearing high heels." She answered soberly.

"Why not? You'll match Daehyun's height. Wouldn't it look good?"

"Maybe, but I think I'm okay this way." She chuckled, my advice was clearly of no importance to her, got it.

Her answers were so short, to the point, and also cranky. How long can I ignore it? "Why aren't you drinking?" I tilted my head towards her untouched drink.

She hesitated for a while. "It's not good for the skin. My skin will become puffy."

I rolled my eyes. And that never occurred to you before, huh?

"Do you have a salon appointment?" I asked, trying to stretch our one-sided conversation.

"Not really." She sighed. "Sorry, but why are you asking all this?"

That part just triggered me, taking away any remaining ounce of patience that might have been left in me. Sometimes her attitude really gets to me. Many emotions burst in my chest. Huffing in annoyance, I balled my fists and charged at her.

"What is your problem? Is it so difficult to be friendly for only fifteen minutes?!" I openly glared at her.

She stayed quiet which made it worse.

 "You didn't like seeing me around, so I chose a boarding school. You hated to have me here during vacations so I interfered as little in your matters as I could." I snapped, my anger shooting up. "You asked me not to come here when you already knew I had no other option. And I've been trying to give you as much space as you needed so you could 'have your ing spotlight' and now when I've finally killed my ego and came to talk things out with you, you're being a !"

She blinked in surprise. I kept glaring at her.

"You couldn't give me the elder sister I've always wanted so can you just find your tongue till tomorrow and try to be polite at the party? I don't want the whole damn town to know about us."

She gulped slowly and I was surprised how she hadn't yet replied to my outburst. I couldn't even feel a storm raging inside her. Just nothing.

I sighed deeply. There really wasn't any use talking to her. "You know what, you're never gonna change. I'm leaving."

I turned around curtly and faced the door, ready to exit. She spoke up finally.

"Mirae, no, I'm just ... worried about-- something and -"

I cut her off. "No! It's not about being worried or nervous or anything! You're born like this!"

"Yahh, Would you just listen to me for once?!" She responded exasperatedly, coming after me.

"No!" 

I lashed back at the door, hand almost rotating the doorknob, eager to leave this hell when her next words led all life out of me.

"Wait, Mirae! I- I'm pregnant!"

---

To the world, you may be just a star.
But for me, you're my world. Happy Birthday, Chanyeol!

 

I have a question for y'all!
Since our characters are entering their final year of high school, which of them will make it to being Heads, let's say, Head Boy? Will it be one of the mains? Is it going to be any other Exo Member? Or do you suppose the Head Boy will be a whole new character?
Let me know your guess in the comments :D I'll look forward to it!