Chapter 12

It's Always You

                                                

I got back to school late on the thundering night of December 29. I was dripping with rain that was falling in torrents, shivering like a leaf. When I entered the common room, I was relieved to find it empty because I did not have the courage to face an extremely hyperactive Baekhyun or Chanyeol who could shower me with another round of death threats.

"You're back!" a voice whispered to my right lightly when I reached my dorm. I jumped out of my skin in fright. Thank god it was just Yumi peering from the bed hangings.

", Yumi you just gave me a heart attack!" I admonished though I was very happy to see her. "I didn't know you were awake."

"I was about to sleep. Just waiting for you." She confessed. "How was Christmas?"

I passed her a smile. "Oh, it was great. Eomma gifted me these pearl earrings and Appa gave me a set of Jane Austen novels. She's my favorite author. Even Unnie gave me a box of chocolates but it was my least favorite flavor. It had fruit-" I noticed her looking at me shrewdly. "What?"

"You're hiding something." She smirked. Damn, I hate the fact that she knows me so well. "I mean you're babbling at about a million miles an hour and I can tell something out of place happened too."

"What do you-"

"Just spit it out, Mirae."

"Oh fine." I slumped on my bed with a thud and continued. "So Chanyeol texted me." I opened the chat and handed her my cell phone. "And I replied."

Yumi read the whole damn chat with her face betraying no emotions. Her expression remained so unchangeable that I was starting to wonder if she had turned to rock or something. I was about to poke her when she raised her head, her hooded eyes solemn. "Mirae, I think he's still in love with you."

I blinked. This was the last thing I was expecting but then it was Jung Yumi and such unpredictable comments were no surprise. A laugh escaped my mouth. "Yumi!" I snatched my phone from her hands. "I told you, no crazy theories!"

"But this isn't a crazy theory! It's the truth." She whispered wildly. We couldn't be loud because it could wake up our roommates.

"How can you judge from a few messages?"

"I-I have a feeling." She answered excitedly.

"Huh, right! A feeling? What a solid proof." I rolled my eyes. Yumi replied, "Why don't you ask him?"

"Sure, that wouldn't be an awkward conversation at all," I said sarcastically. "Hey, Chanyeol hope you had a good holiday. By the way, I was just wondering if you were still in love with me?" She burst out in laughter in fits at the sound of it with her bed trembling violently. I continued, "Plus hang on, hadn't we decided that he didn't even like me in the first place?"

"No, you decided that. After whatever he convinced you to believe in the Chemistry lab that day. But, I, rightfully said that it was complete bullocks." She completed with a smug face.

"Yeah, yeah I remember. I don't agree with you one bit but why is he still dating Yoori if that's the case?"

"You'll have to ask him that one too." She said unsurely. I removed my wet coat and socks and jumped in my bed. A piece of paper flew with my motion and landed on the ground. I bent down to pick it up. It took me a microsecond to recognize the perfect slanting handwriting. My heart skipped a beat as I noticed it belonged to the person I had totally forgotten at the moment.

Welcome back, Mirae. I missed you a lot. Hope you had a nice journey back.

The loopy handwriting belonged to Jinyoung. Despite the exhaustion, I couldn't sleep in the excitement for over two hours.

--------------

I slept till late the next morning that even someone as patient as Yumi had grown tired of waiting and left for breakfast on her own. As I stepped down after putting on a pair of jeans and a hoodie hoping that I would find no familiar faces in the common room because I looked like a hooligan freak right now with all the tangled hair falling on my face. Just as I moved on towards the door to exit the common room, I ran right into someone entering it.

"Oofh!" I exclaimed, trying to balance myself. "Sor-"My voice died in my throat as I saw Jinyoung smiling at me. My cheeks turned a dark shade of red which would be a real cherry on the top for my face which still looked as if a mouse had it.

"I'm glad you're back." He said with a manly smile plastered on his face. "I missed seeing you." He came closer and gave me a half hug. Now may I mention this is the first time my heart felt like it was going to burst into tiny pieces. The stupid thing started beating a million times an hour. I couldn't be more happier and grateful that nobody was in the common room to witness this intimate moment. I melted like ice cream in his embrace even though it lasted for less than a few minutes.

I smiled as I looked down at my feet unable to formulate a sensible sentence. "Uhh yeah, It was really touch and go for me but still worthwhile. I got your...uhh note last night. It was very... touching."

It was his turn to blush as red a tomato. "Thanks. Umm... You should go have breakfast before it's time for lunch."

I nodded, smiled, and hopped out of the room, just in time to see Chanyeol and Yoori coming towards me, hand in hand, with their laughter echoing in the corridor.

"Ah, Mirae!" Chanyeol exclaimed. My conversation with Yumi from last night popped in my mind after seeing his face and I tried to force it away. "Made it back in one piece, I see."

"Yes," I replied.

"Leaving for breakfast? I suggest orange juice. It's exceptionally good today." I narrowed my eyes and nodded reluctantly. He must have noticed my discomfort so he whispered in my ear as he passed by me.

"Don't be so scared. I didn't bring my dog here."

Aigoo, this little .

The minute I entered the hall for breakfast I was showered with Christmas greetings from Andrew, Baekhyun, Junmyun, and other classmates. After I was finally done with the greetings, I sat down for breakfast and Baekhyun immediately handed me a drink.

"Try this out."

"What is this?" I said, making a disgusting face.

"Orange juice, duh." He forced the glass in my hand and skipped away. Ignoring the drink in my hand, I turned to Junmyun with a smile.

"How did it go?" I asked, quietly referring to the hearing he was supposed to be leaving for. He understood immediately.

"I don't know...I mean it's surely going to go very long. My father has a strong lawyer but the proofs against him are solid so..." I nodded and patted his shoulder with a solemn expression. I hope the best for Junmyun, he doesn't deserve any of this at all, the guy's too sweet.

Unsure of what to say, I sipped the drink and choked on it the minute it hit my dry throat. The 'orange juice' had a kilogram of red hot chilies mixed in it. I began coughing vigorously, my eyes were shining with tears. Oh how I wish I hadn't fallen to their words, the taste was horrible. Junmyun patting my back, pitying smile on his lips.

"Yah, Byun Baekhyun! What the hell is in this!?" I yelled once I recovered, my eyes still wet with the churning in my throat. Ughh...I hate their pranks.

"Christmas prank." He explained. "They did it with everyone on the 25th saying that everyone should enjoy something 'red' for the big day...hence the red chilies. Be thankful that it was just a drink. They literally mixed it in my toothpaste. Just imagine how refreshing that would have been."

"Wow," I said with a smile creeping up on my face at the image of it.

---------------

Just when I was about to get a little comfortable with my new set of books in the common room, cozied up under a small blanket on the couch near the corner, the trio, Jinyoung, and Yoori (who was still shooting daggers at me) headed right at where I was resting and plopped down at their places so randomly like they had planned beforehand to come and disturb me. Baekhyun retorted, "You're sitting on my spot but I'd let you stay for this once."

He had a tray of steaming hot chocolate mugs in his hand and handed it to everyone around. When he reached me, I glared as intensely as I could.

"You know, your eyes are going to pop out on the floor if you continue glaring at me like that." He stately matter-of-factly and again handed me the cup for the second time that day.

"Oh no. I'm not taking anything. I don't trust any of you." I've learned my lesson for good.

Jinyoung nudged me from the side, "No, it's actually good."

Shooting a glance at Chanyeol who was silently watching us and he immediately said back, "No, it's not a prank. Look-" He held his cup high. "I'm drinking it too." Since I really was in need of some good hot drink, I accepted it reluctantly and gulped it down. It really was sweet and savory with the marshmallows making it more mellow. 

"Where did you get it from, anyway?" I asked, looking up from my cup.

"From the kitchens," Chanyeol replied as though he was explaining something to a five-year-old. "You might of have heard of it, Mirae, it's a place where food-"

I groaned and threw a marshmallow at him, wet, hot and soggy. He caught it smoothly, grinned and popped it in his mouth.

"I mean, how do you know where the kitchens are?"

"Just think for a second who you're talking to," Baekhyun replied boredly. "Seriously, this girl is so stupid sometimes."

"Where do you think we get the food for all the birthdays and post-match celebrations, dumbo?" Chanyeol smirked.

"Just answer the bloody question." I snarled.

"They found it in the first semester," Jinyoung answered, quickly patting my arm before I could turn into a hulk filled with anger.

I nodded. 

I nodded. "First semester---bored much?"Didn't they have to study or something? 

"More like hungry much." Junmyun jabbed a thumb towards Baekhyun.

"You all are coming to the New Year's party tomorrow, right?" Chanyeol announced in a loud, thundering voice to the whole common room. Many of them nodded enthusiastically and agreed.

"What about you?" Jinyoung smiled at me.

"Yeah I guess, I've got nothing else to do."

"Great it's going to be excellent," Chanyeol assured. Baekhyun added, "'Cause we're planning it." with a wink in Chanyeol's direction as if enjoying something in secrecy.

--------------

The next day, on the 31st, I had a momentary lapse of sanity and let my roommates convince me to participate in a snowball fight. I don't know why but since my return, there had been an absurd number of snowball fights among the whole student body. Maybe it was finally dawning on us that we might be leaving school sooner and wanted to enjoy few last moments of adolescence.

Which eventually led me to spend an hour in cold, biting air. I failed to throw a nice direct shot at anyone because whenever I bent down to gather some snow, I would be sent to the ground by an even larger snowball, by a number of people whose only purpose of life was to annoy me a.k.a Byun Baekhyun. I got all soggy and wet, shivering in the winter, cursing myself for not being able to stand the cold. I looked around for Jinyoung but he was nowhere to be seen or I would have sought his help. At last, a massive snowball to my face ended my turmoil, which was again the courtesy of Baekhyun.

"Right! I get it. I'm leaving." I spit out the snow and yelled with all the dignity I had left. Everyone whined to stay for 'one more round' but I could see they were all actually holding back their laughter on my pathetic condition. See? I wasn't joking when I said I at all kinds of sports, even the simplest ones. Maybe it's better to retire in my room with my books.

"I'll walk you back." Chanyeol offered. I gave him an odd look but agreed.

"It was rather low of Baekhyun to fix you as his target." He said trudging in the snow. Okay, so they fix targets too? I thought wearily.

"No, it's fine." I said with my teeth chattering, as we were almost about to reach the building.

"But I still feel bad about what he did." He responded, slinging his arm around my shoulders in a friendly way...and promptly shoving a concealed handful of snow in my face. Again.

I gasped, standing frozen in shock while everybody's suppressed laughter finally came out bursting, they were probably watching from distance. "You..." I growled angrily, whipping back to face him, who was having a hard time keeping a straight face.

"You s-should have seen your face!" Gaining control of his balance, he continued. "Sorry, it was just too difficult to pass up."

"I will get back at you!" I threatened him and strode back to the main hall.

Fuming and frozen to the bone, I was in no mood to face Yoori who was coming towards me with a displeased look as I climbed up to my dorm. Well, fate had other plans.

"What do you think you're playing at?" She spat as soon as she closed in.

My patience was now as thin as the ice on my hair. Rolling my eyes, I replied, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, don't act so innocent. Just stay away from him! You can't steal him. He's mine!" She sounded like 3-year-old fighting for a new doll.

I nearly laughed at her childish outburst. " Who- wait, are you talking about Chanyeol? Honey, believe me when I say you've got nothing to worry about. I am in no way trying to steal your boyfriend. Or whatever idea you have in your mind."

"I don't believe you!" She answered suspiciously.

"Well now, that's your choice dear," I said, I don't give a care in the world for her worthless doubts. "Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go and have such a longest shower of the century that there will be no hot water left for a week."

And with that, I trotted away. 

------------

"I think that dark blue top will look perfect on your figure," I suggested to Yumi who had been rummaging through her wardrobe for over an hour and still couldn't decide her outfit for the New Year's party.

"Are you out of your mind? It's so baggy and worn out that I can wear it to bed." She shot back, shaking her head. "Really, Mirae, where is your fashion sense?"

I grinned apologetically. "How about the peach one?"I asked.

"Nope. Too dull for a party."

"Well, what about the one I gifted you on your birthday last year? The golden cardigan?" I tried again hopefully.

She stopped in her tracks for a while and I knew I had hit a home run. Her face broke out in a big smile and gave me a giant hug. "I can't believe I forgot it!"

"Okay, now it's time for you." She exclaimed. "I've already decided. You're wearing my hot pink gown!"

"What? No! It's December and I'm not wearing anything sleeveless. I might die of the cold, you know." I scolded her. She was already back into thinking mode. She kept suggesting me clothes that were as unacceptable as the other. Some were too flashy for me and others too revealing. In the end, I picked out a maroon velvet knee-length dress that hugged my figure perfectly along with stockings. The dress complimented my pearl earrings quite well. After that, we helped the twins out. Which mostly consisted of encouraging them that they didn't look too fat or that their skirts were absolutely flattering.

The three of them attacked me with makeup afterward and we were finally ready. The minute we stepped down, all of us were in awe. The decorations were even grander than Chanyeol's birthday party. There were huge banners saying Happy New Year and a tiny digital screen showing the countdown to midnight. It currently displayed 2:45:07. The common room looked more spacious now that the furniture had been set aside. Apparently, word had got out and people from other houses and groups were there too. Everyone had already started dancing and there was a pleasant chatter in the room. These three guys loved playing the host and were excellent at the job.

"Andrew!" Yumi squealed. "I was just looking for you!" I admit he looked really handsome. We did the greetings and instead of being the third wheel, I left them to look around for familiar faces. At that very moment, Jinyoung appeared by my side making my breath halt in my throat. He was wearing a jet black turtleneck and black pants. Simple and elegant. And he somewhat had the same reaction.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked, biting my lip.

"What? Just your face? Oh no all of you, Mirae." He whispered. I stared at him questioningly.

"You look gorgeous, Mirae. Literally from head to toe. I don't think there's any prettier girl I have seen." My heart was beating at hundred miles an hour. Unsure of what to say, I mumbled a thanks and complimented in return. We looked around the room, a pleasant silence settled between us. Baekhyun was flirting with some senior and Junmyun was serving the drinks. I looked around for their third partner in crime and spotted him beside the fireplace with Yoori. The minute her eyes met mine, she smirked, leaning forward and planted a kiss on Chanyeol's lips, who was clad in light blue. 

Is she trying to prove something? I mean we aren't even competing. Stupid girl. I chuckled at her actions.

"Want a drink?" Jinyoung asked, handing me a cup from the nearby table. I grabbed and took a sip, hoping that this 'punch' will be just punch not some spiked liquor. But the taste indicated otherwise and I grimaced at once. 

Jinyoung chuckled, teasing me sweetly, "What, too strong for you?"

"Definitely." I sighed loudly. "I don't drink much so I'm not used to it."

"Not even on New Year's?"

"Especially not on New Year. I'm not stupid. I've heard stories of what sort of things happen at these parties. And I'd like not to have my name on the gossip list."

"Fair enough." He commented, looking impressed. He went over to some friends after a while and I went looking for the hosts and eventually found Junmyun beside the Christmas tree, fixing the decorations.

"This party is amazing. You guys did really well." I complimented him and he smiled graciously.

"Thanks."

"Just go and enjoy the night. You can't play host the whole time. Get yourself a girl or something." I have no idea what got over my sanity when I winked at him.

"Uhh...yeah, maybe I will. I'm not into dating though."

"Oh come on. Don't you learn anything from your friends? Look at Baekhyun there...there's a new girl on his arm every hour." I said, pointing at his friend jokingly. "Totally out of his senses."

Junmyun shrugged. "I haven't got those guts. But I'm fine this way, really."

"Well if you're still in need of a midnight kiss when the clock strikes, I can offer..." I said suggestively.

"How many drinks have you had, Mirae?" He cut me off seriously this time

"Not even one! It's you who need to drink up a bit. And it was a joke you know!" I answered indignantly. Chanyeol appeared by his side and Junmyun left mumbling something like 'toilet'.

"What's his problem?" He asked, raising his glass to his lips.

"Umm...I may or may not have offered to kiss him at midnight." I shared hesitantly.

Chanyeol spit the mouthful he had drunk on the floor, "What??" His voice was hoarse.

"It was a joke!!! But I think it weirded him out a little." I confessed. "Jesus! That's why I hate going to parties."

"Because you make a fool of yourself and frighten away all the good guys? And you even managed to do that without being drunk. Impressive, Mirae!" He was smirking in that annoying way of his.

"Oh, whatever." I was suddenly reminded of my revenge and looked around and noticed a table with cakes and pastries.

"I'm hungry...that cake looks amazing. Want me to get you a piece?" I said, quickly hoping he wouldn't detect it. 

Unsure, he responded, "Yeah sure." 

"Great," I said hurrying to the table and cut the creamiest part of the cake. Rejoining him, I yelled, "Here you go." And before he could see what I was doing, I shoved it on his face. "It's not cold but it's definitely messier so we're even now, aren't we?" I declared, grinning evilly while he was busy it. There was cake stuck in his hair too but I wasn't going to tell him that.

"Hey, that was a good one. Didn't see it coming at all." He replied, laughing like a buffoon. Well, now I can rest in peace.

"You know, it's a good trick. I should try it with someone too." His eyes surveyed the crowd. I groaned inwardly, did I just give him more ideas to prank more poor souls?

Yoori appeared on his side, wrapping her arm protectively on his. "Why's there cake in your hair?" She frowned, picking it out. She dragged him to the dance floor and I was once again left alone but someone tapped my shoulder.

"May I have this dance, my lady?" It was Jinyoung. I let out a short laugh at his bowing style and rested my palm rest in his hand. There was a slow sweet song playing currently which fitted my mood. I was never the hard-core partying type but I knew how to enjoy these moments.

He gently led me to the floor and held me close as we swayed to the music. Gazing in his eyes soulful eyes, I felt myself drowning in them. I can't imagine how long we stayed that way, without saying anything, just enjoying each other's presence. It may have been a few songs or maybe a few seconds but whatever I felt in that short timelapse was something extraordinary. And I wanted to have that 'something' again. Plus Jinyoung's sweet perfume was seriously and I loved inhaling in it. Finally breaking the contact, he brushed a stray strand of my hair behind my ear and said lightly, "Mirae?"

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Will you...uhh... will you be my girlfriend?" He asked hesitantly. I smiled already knowing the answer. At the moment, the only thing on my mind was him. Not caring about Yumi's speculation about Chanyeol's true feelings or the fact that I was losing the bet to him. Jinyoung was the only thing in my mind, in my heart.

"Yes." I breathed and smiled widely. "I'd love to."

He smiled graciously and leaned forward, placing a kiss on my forehead. I blushed looking at my shoes. It was getting really hot so we left and made our way towards the sitting area. I didn't know what to say to him and nor did he. After a few moments of silence, he said,

"Mirae, umm I really hate to say this but I can't stay till the countdown. I have a re-exam tomorrow and I must leave to prepare it."

"Re-exam?" I asked, frowning.

"Yeah. I missed some of them and I have to cover up for it if I want to pass this semester."

"Oh, of course. I understand. You should leave if it's important." I assured him although a little disappointed.

"Thanks. See you tomorrow." He smiled and ended with a wink and walked away. I sat there for a good 15 minutes thinking about the fact that I was in a relationship and kept smiling and laughing like a fool when Baekhyun stumbled at my feet.

"Heyyy Mirae!" He sang. " I jus' lost Chan'ols phone. Seen it?" It was so difficult to understand his speech but I was getting used to it.

"No." I replied. He let out a little 'oof' and took the seat beside me. There was suddenly a commotion in the common room when a shout rang, "What the hell is this?" It was Yoori's voice, screaming at Chanyeol.

I looked at her face which had an absolute look of fury. She was holding Chanyeol's phone in the air questioningly.

"I can explain that," he said quickly.

"Well, start then." She demanded in loud voice and most people's attention was on them. 

"Wait...can we not do that here?" He hissed and grabbed her wrist, dragging her out of the common room. As soon as they left, the noise level resumed most of the people gossiping about what had just happened. 

"So I heard ya tried t' kiss Ju'myun." Baekhyun crossed his hands behind his head, clearly unaffected by the recent uproar.

"I did not try to- Oh my god! It was a joke. Why can no one get it?"

"If ya're so desperate, I can kiss ya at mi'night." Baekhyun said wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"I hope you're joking." I muttered, rolling my eyes. Then Yumi came up to me, her boyfriend following behind.

Baekhyun's eyes were becoming droopy and his head was falling to its sides, he was totally wasted. Yumi shook him by the shoulders, trying to keep him up. "You pass out now, at least wait till midnight!"

The drunk boy cracked open an eye with a flirty smile, "Why, are you going to kiss me at midnight?"

Andrew cleared his throat. Yumi threw Baekhyun a disgusted look and shoved him back on the couch. "Suit yourself."

"What do you think happened between Chanyeol and Yoori?" She asked me.

"No idea," I mumbled though I had a nagging suspicion about what was in that phone that got her worked up so much. But I tried to clear my conscience.

And once again fate was not on my side.

 Yoori suddenly stomped in the common room, strode right up towards me, and slapped me hard across my face.

-------------

This is the longest chapter I have written so far but it was surely the most fun to write!
Hope you people enjoyed it  :)